Soul Calibur V $39.99

[quote name='CaoPi']the online in this game fails, lots of disconnection issues, rage quiters, lag input, save your $$$ for SFXTekken[/QUOTE]

You're going to get rage quitters in any online fighting game. The Net-code for this is far superior to just about anything out there. I haven't had hardly any disconnection issues at all, and I play people from Europe and Asia all the time.

Online is the strength here, Offline blows. (except for maybe Create-A-Soul) Still, with the lack of any good offline content and wasted character slots (3 randoms, and the brother and sister hogging 4 slots) I think this is a better buy whenever it reached 30 or lower.

[quote name='CaoPi']the online in this game fails, lots of disconnection issues, rage quiters, lag input, save your $$$ for SFXTekken. [/QUOTE]

Geez, I thought the video was constantly buffering until I saw that the video had already finished loading and it was actually the gameplay that was lagging like hell.

[quote name='CaoPi']the online in this game fails, lots of disconnection issues, rage quiters, lag input, save your $$$ for SFXTekken.

IMO it's like the MW 3 of soul calibur, no endings what soever, if you don't care about online or lack of content go ahead...
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you reminded me of that. I forgot about the disconnection issues this game had. I rented it a while back and enjoyed it except for that. I never leave someone in a game but the gay disconnects made me look bad at the worst possible time. Haven't they released any patches for it at all?

I'm sure some people ragged in that video but I doubt everyone did. It just randomly drops for no reason.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']You're going to get rage quitters in any online fighting game. The Net-code for this is far superior to just about anything out there. I haven't had hardly any disconnection issues at all, and I play people from Europe and Asia all the time.

Online is the strength here, Offline blows. (except for maybe Create-A-Soul) Still, with the lack of any good offline content and wasted character slots (3 randoms, and the brother and sister hogging 4 slots) I think this is a better buy whenever it reached 30 or lower.[/QUOTE]

Your in for a real uphill battle trying to convince anyone that this game's netcode is better than the likes of MVC2, HDR, BLazblue, SF4, or even some of SNK's better online games.

Offline is fine, this version of Soul Calibur Namco got serious about it's multiplayer aspects and neglected the single player part. More than a fair trade since this is the best the series has ever been.

[quote name='Lost_In_Shadows']I'm glad you reminded me of that. I forgot about the disconnection issues this game had. I rented it a while back and enjoyed it except for that. I never leave someone in a game but the gay disconnects made me look bad at the worst possible time. Haven't they released any patches for it at all?

I'm sure some people ragged in that video but I doubt everyone did. It just randomly drops for no reason.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this happens pretty often, a buddy of mine who I use to play SC 4 with, we couldn't play at all. It says d/c from user and they get kicked out of the lobby

Although you could say I'm more of a sf fan, not much of a marvel player though ;)

Also there's been no patches what so ever....

[quote name='CaoPi']the online in this game fails, lots of disconnection issues, rage quiters, lag input, save your $$$ for SFXTekken.

IMO it's like the MW 3 of soul calibur, no endings what soever, if you don't care about online or lack of content go ahead...
[/QUOTE]

from what i've seen the online looks pretty smooth, it's just that the rage quitters but if i get a win for every rage quitter im fine with that but if not then wtf?

Funny timing, I just reserved this at a local Redbox not 5 minutes ago. Online-reserved games are free for the first night all week.

I'm sure there's a thread for it somewhere, but here's the link. No coupon code necessary:

http://www.redbox.com/gameweek

Soul Calibur 5 & The Darkness 2 are perfect games to rent for one night.

I bought this to add to my SC collection having rented it before. The online is frustrating at times but once its working its definitely one of the funnest games out there to play with your buddies. $39.99 is a pretty good deal IMO.
smile.jpg

IMO it's like the MW 3 of soul calibur, no endings what soever, if you don't care about online or lack of content go ahead...[/QUOTE]

So you're saying this game is lacking content and comparing it to a game that has a ton of content.

What?

[quote name='Lost_In_Shadows']I never leave someone in a game but the gay disconnects made me look bad at the worst possible time.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing homosexual about being disconnected from an online match in a fighting games.

[quote name='CaoPi']the online in this game fails, lots of disconnection issues, rage quiters, lag input, save your $$$ for SFXTekken.[/QUOTE]

I'd hardly think so. The netcode for this game is way better than any other fighting game I've ever played. In my time with the game, I've can't have been disconnected any more than 10 times, and I've had it since day one. I've played tons of fighting games online and this has had the smoothest experience. That said, I've had tons of fun playing this offline with my buddies. I hook up my PS3 up over on one of the TVs at my university and tons of people (it's a small dedicated engineering building, so I know most) come by to play and they enjoy the heck out of it. There is a lack of content for this game though, it makes me feel like it could have been much more. But overall, I payed a net of 37.xx for this game and I don't regret it. It's much more casual than those Capcom games, which I find ridiculous that I've been playing all my life with a pad and I'm still no better than even the worst player if they have a goddamn fighting stick. People who haven't played an SC title in years were having tons of fun fighting each other. It's a game that can be really simple at the surface, but who's nuances make it a much more complex fighter once you really dive into it.

And it's funny that you call this the MW3 of SC, because if that was trying to be an insult, it'd stem from the fact that all MW titles have been "refinements" of which none have been more extreme than changing a single gun, while the reason people constantly stress which SC is their favorite is because they've all had distinctive fighting systems and characters.

In my 50 matches online with my PS3, I haven't had a rage quit and only two disconnects. That said, I can't really recommend SCV unless you really love the soul series due to its rushed and lack of content.

Additionally, I'm not sure about Street Fighter x Tekken considering the 12 DLC fighters that will be out later. Sounds to me there will be a super edition released later this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfcJHdw-7wA[/QUOTE]

Do you get credit for the win when people quit? If you're getting credit for the win them I wouldnt care if they quit.

I was about to buy SC V and before I would make the decision... I played the game in the store.....first thing I noticed was that the game felt exactly like the previous games. Next, I called my friend who ve seen playing soul calibir v online.....he tells me that he didn't like it (he loves fighting games....) because there was nothing much new with it. At that point I realized that the ONLY way I'd consider buying this game if it's price we'll below $20.

I'm disappointed with the game because instead of putting in the effort to make a great game, the developers just come with the same game featuring guest character (insert names here) and then act as if theyve created a whole new game.

Best soul calibur since SC2. The online is fantastic, the new features make the game a lot more tournament worthy, great training mode etc. You know the game is something that a lot of pros that never bothered with SC are now playing SCV enmasse.

The single player isn't as good, but single player isn't important at all in a fighting game.

[quote name='ktmack23']there is nothing homosexual about being disconnected from an online match in a fighting games.[/quote]

+1

All other issues aside, the Dampierre thing is really bothersome. We all probably figured he was in the game from the start, just like the yoda/vader fiasco from SC4. But this time, Namco didn't even try to hide it as you can easily find Dampierre as an opponent to fight when you play quick battle. Hes right there, and plainly obviously already in the game. I'm sure all the BB thing was, was an unlock code again. But those of us that didn't get the game at BB will all have to fork over another 4 or 5 bucks a month or two from now when they "officially release" him.

The online for this game is very good, single player however is lacking. But if your really serious into fighters you won't care about that as what's most important is solid and that's the actually fighting and netcode.

[quote name='Lost_In_Shadows'] I never leave someone in a game but the gay disconnects made me look bad at the worst possible time. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='KtMack23']There is nothing homosexual about being disconnected from an online match in a fighting games.[/QUOTE]

Benefit of the doubt maybe he meant the HAPPY disconnects..

On Topic: I have played the hell out of this. Think its a strong addition to the series (better then Tekken 6's release) the story was not done by Project Soul but by CyberConnect (Asura's Wrath dev) or at least a good portion of it.

I thought the story was well done just was missing cut scenes (it was done story board style for 90% of it). The Quick Match is brutal when going against higher ranks. Online is strong some disconnects (but I think some are due to rage quiting) but its not to the point where its unplayable online KOF XII was. Overall I think this is a great price point for this (I am going to go PM my copy tomorrow at Best Buy)

[quote name='KtMack23']There is nothing homosexual about being disconnected from an online match in a fighting games.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it made fun of his character's outfit before it dc'd him?

[quote name='BigPoeticCanine']I'd hardly think so. The netcode for this game is way better than any other fighting game I've ever played. [/QUOTE]

While I'm not going to call your observations and experience illegitimate, I'm rather surprised you were able to have such a good experience. I finally picked up Ranked play a few nights ago after hearing such good things about the netcode. While I experienced no disconnects, there was really terrible input lag. As for ragequitters, well, you get those in every fighter. People don't seem to like going online only to discover they really aren't -that- great afterall. ;P

I'd honestly like to see the online matches people are so happy about. I consider my net pretty great quality, and I've had great experiences on BlazBlue, SSF4, and UMvC3 alike for online play. To say that SoulCal 5's netcode is better than all of these, well. . . to put it coldly I can't possibly believe that. At least not from what I've seen.

Anyway, to comment on the deal: $40 seems reasonable if you enjoy more serious/competitive Soul Calibur. SC5 seems the strongest in the series since 2 from a competitive perspective, and can provide a lot of solid fun with peeps. Just don't go in expecting very much single player content, and YMMV with online play.

bread's done
Back