- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

#1261 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

I followed this guy for a bit after I bought the game back in September 2010, it's basically a one or two man operation and it seemed like he was struggling big time. Giving away a key for past support to me says the guy is extremely grateful for people who helped him out when he needed the influx of cash and the game wasn't particularly well known. Getting his game on Steam was probably a Godsend to him. Also, as noted, it generates a ton of good will.

Whenever his future games go on sale I will definitely be buying a few extra copies and sending them to friends because, as it is, it feels borderline criminal getting all games this guy makes now and forever for a mere $3.50.

I paid $1. How do you think I feel? In my request email I mentioned it and said I'd understand if I didn't qualify. The only reason I sent it in at all is because I've told a ton of people that they should get the game, on this forum and elsewhere. It really did surprise me.

I've already downloaded and played the Faerie Solitaire 2 and Faerie Alchemy .apks and played them on my tablet. Good stuff. I can't wait for what they're working on for the future and having it all on Steam. It's so cool of them to do.

#1262 unless   Correct. CAGiversary!   149 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

I was really curious about just what Subsoap is up to with such a crazy bundle, so I poked around a bit and found this post by the company's founder on Reddit:

I'm turning my company into a co-operative and surrendering some of my ownership to my employees. I want my company owned by the employees, and for them to profit directly from what they do, not third party investors. The customers will be the investors. Eventually people who want to work for us will be able to, we'll have them trial for a year and if we like them and they want to take an owner role we will allow them to. Then the owners vote on what we make and what we do. Still a lot to figure out. I know money is important but it is not a primary motivator for me. :)

Which, again, is awesome. Kind of amazing, really. Warms my little bleeding heart. :)

#1263 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11211 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Yeah, he really is a super nice guy.

#1264 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Just sent my e-mail to Subsoap. I feel really horrible if I get an infinite bundle key for the $1 I paid for Faerie Solitare. I loved Faerie Solitare, such a fun little Solitare Game.

Just got my e-mail back. That $1 I paid for Faerie Solitare allows me to get every game they ever made? That is crazy, yet awesome.

#1265 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11211 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

You're a horrible person. And I am three times less horrible than you!

#1266 Cybolt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   289 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Just sent my e-mail to Subsoap. I feel really horrible if I get an infinite bundle key for the $1 I paid for Faerie Solitare. I loved Faerie Solitare, such a fun little Solitare Game.

Just got my e-mail back. That $1 I paid for Faerie Solitare allows me to get every game they ever made? That is crazy, yet awesome.

I think I am in the same boat as you. If it does come through, I really am considering doing my part to spread the word and gifting copies to friends and family.

You're a horrible person. And I am three times less horrible than you!

Wouldn't that be 3 1/2 times less horrible? :-P

#1267 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

But I mean, if he typed IMO does it really make a difference? Logical brains would put together that a person saying things about a game that is really good or terrible that of course it's their opinion because, what the hell else could it be? It's just a logistical circlejerk rather than actually talking about the game in question and trying to relay what makes it not good or terrible.

Not to revive a dead topic, but I'm in agreement that you should preface strongly negative opinions with IMO or something similar. If you don't, then it reads like fact or that your opinion is somehow more important than other people's opinions. I do see what you're saying, but by leaving things to assumption, you're not really showing respect to your listeners and especially people who might think differently about the subject of criticism. It's basically just nuance - the difference between saying something in a way that will inspire a lot of dissent or only a little.

Edited by eastx, 02 April 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#1268 dfg   Impecunious Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   3132 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Not to revive a dead topic, but I'm in agreement that you should preface strongly negative opinions with IMO or something similar. If you don't, then it reads like fact or that your opinion is somehow more important than other people's opinions. I do see what you're saying, but by leaving things to assumption, you're not really showing respect to your listeners and especially people who disagree. It's basically just nuance - the difference between saying something in a way that will inspire a lot of dissent or only a little.

Ooh man, I strongly disagree with that. On a site like this, people should take any strongly-worded comments about a game with a grain of salt. You wouldna think it's asking too much to expect someone to be able to tell the difference between subjective and objective, but I guess we are talking about CAG here.

#1269 spoderman  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Not to revive a dead topic, but I'm in agreement that you should preface strongly negative opinions with IMO or something similar. If you don't, then it reads like fact or that your opinion is somehow more important than other people's opinions. I do see what you're saying, but by leaving things to assumption, you're not really showing respect to your listeners and especially people who disagree. It's basically just nuance - the difference between saying something in a way that will inspire a lot of dissent or only a little.

I think it would've been better had he stated why he thought the game was terrible. It makes you look worse when you've got a strongly negative opinion but don't back it up. Adding "IMO" would've made little difference without backing his opinion. It's like me saying "Steam sucks, console gaming rules" then leaving the thread never to be heard from again lol. It'd annoy people, and adding "IMO" wouldn't change that.

#1270 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

I think it would've been better had he stated why he thought the game was terrible. It makes you look worse when you've got an opinion but don't back it up. Adding "IMO" would've made little difference without backing his opinion. It's like me saying "Steam sucks, console gaming rules" then leaving the thread never to be heard from again lol. It'd annoy people, and adding "IMO" wouldn't change that.

Alright, that's a better way of putting it. Kinda sleepy right now and working the graveyard shift, so forgive me if I can't argue as well as normal. ;) I admit, a comment that just calls something garbage is useless, whereas one that lists reasons and shows some thought can actually be enlightening.

#1271 sunasun   "The Burger King" CAGiversary!   4638 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Just got an email back from Subsoap with an infinite bundle key for winning Fairie Solitaire on steamgifts.com. I'm infinitely more horrible than everyone. :applause: :D

#1272 aa.jetta   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   119 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

I went ahead and supported Subsoap despite having purchased FS on steam. It's pretty rare nowadays when a company is actually worthy of support.

I guess that's where the beauty of a CAG comes into play. The more you save, the more money you have left for causes that actually deserve it like this and the annual Child's Play drive here.

#1273 Momouchi  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Having a hard time deciding whether to get the bundle or not, I feel pretty guilty for getting all of their next work for $1.

#1274 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

For those interested, Orks Must Die 2 has been announced, offering coop gameplay with the addition of a Sorceress character.

#1275 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Having a hard time deciding whether to get the bundle or not, I feel pretty guilty for getting all of their next work for $1.

There's no reason you can't use it for the perks and still support them. You could see it as a key to get into the dev versions of their upcoming games and then buy them on Steam after release.

#1276 Genocidal   Summer of Punk CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

I felt kind of bad about grabbing the key for my small Steam purchase, but went ahead and made a thread on another board I frequent and plan on tossing them some money when it fits in the budget.

#1277 SadPanda99   I hate know it alls CAGiversary!   4584 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

So I was sent a key but it didn't register on steam, anyone else have the same problem.

#1278 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

So I was sent a key but it didn't register on steam, anyone else have the same problem.

Read the email.

#1279 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7726 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

For those interested, Orks Must Die 2 has been announced, offering coop gameplay with the addition of a Sorceress character.

I want it!

I really liked the concept of the original but got bored playing alone, perfect!

#1280 SadPanda99   I hate know it alls CAGiversary!   4584 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Read the email.

You know I brain farted... I actually did read that email, and understand it, but apparently I'm a little senile, and forgot when I read that last post. Doh!

#1281 Kaltic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1573 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

I really hope the Arrow Trap isn't as overpowered as it was in the first. There was almost no point in using any other trap because they were so cheap and strong.

#1282 KaOTiK   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1843 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Daily Deal

Turba $2.49 75% off

#1283 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

I wonder if this means another Orcs Must Die sale soon to go with the announcement. It's a great game and scratches the same itch that RTS games do with the way that I play them. I love building a perfect, unbreakable defense. I will take forever in an RTS, like 90 minutes on a 30 minute map, building up defenses so there's nothing that the AI can throw my way and have a chance of succeeding. I do the same in Orcs Must Die. Sitting back in later waves and watching orcs try to snake their way through my traps is very satisfying.

#1284 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6236 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I wonder if this means another Orcs Must Die sale soon to go with the announcement. It's a great game and scratches the same itch that RTS games do with the way that I play them. I love building a perfect, unbreakable defense. I will take forever in an RTS, like 90 minutes on a 30 minute map, building up defenses so there's nothing that the AI can throw my way and have a chance of succeeding. I do the same in Orcs Must Die. Sitting back in later waves and watching orcs try to snake their way through my traps is very satisfying.

I really doubt that there will be another Orcs Must Die sale on Steam anytime soon. They just had one about two weeks ago. I'm guessing that sale was a prelude to this announcement of a sequel.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see OMD pop up in an upcoming Humble Bundle sometime over the next 6 months or so.

#1285 BigSpoonyBard   Aaaaauuugghh! CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

BigSpoonyBard

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Since we discussed this a couple pages ago, I do believe it's worth noting the Joystiq article on Penny Arcade Adventures 3. Some new screenshots of the game (they look good!) and info about the battle system (Grandia-style!) are contained therein.

#1286 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15259 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Just got an email back from Subsoap with an infinite bundle key for winning Fairie Solitaire on steamgifts.com. I'm infinitely more horrible than everyone. :applause: :D

I tried for it after reading your post. My response was, "Did you pay for the game?" Seems like a rather snide comment, since it clearly says "Free" in the screenshot. ;) Oh well.

#1287 dfg   Impecunious Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   3132 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

I tried for it after reading your post. My response was, "Did you pay for the game?" Seems like a rather snide comment, since it clearly says "Free" in the screenshot. ;) Oh well.

So one person gets a yes from submitting a free copy, and another gets a no?

#1288 sunasun   "The Burger King" CAGiversary!   4638 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

He asked me "Was your key redeemed from one of our giveaways? We are intending to reward people who have supported us directly in the past. If you have not purchased something then please consider encouraging a few people you know to buy a copy of the Infinity Bundle. :)

The key was under Your Delivery: a couple lines down. Recheck your email :D

Mine said Faerie Solitaire Comp Retail in steam under my Licenses and subscriptions

#1289 Mr. Sax Appeal   Breesus Validating   169 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Mr. Sax Appeal

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Yep. It is all cross-compatible.

Thanks, I went ahead and bought the Celts and Persians, the only things I was missing.

#1290 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21395 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't really see it as snide. Snide would be telling you that you didn't pay for the game so you are clearly not entitled to the bundle per the rules and leaving it at that.

I think they asked the question because there might be the off chance that someone on the steam forums or elsewhere might have actually paypaled in exchange for the game not knowing it was free or the key was a free key and they might be asking to see if that was the case and would probably honor the deal if that was so.