- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

#1291 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15257 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

I don't really see it as snide. Snide would be telling you that you didn't pay for the game so you are clearly not entitled to the bundle per the rules and leaving it at that.

I think they asked the question because there might be the off chance that someone on the steam forums or elsewhere might have actually paypaled in exchange for the game not knowing it was free or the key was a free key and they might be asking to see if that was the case and would probably honor the deal if that was so.

That's true. I won't pursue it since it was a code from SteamGifts.

Also, I have a code for FlatOut that I don't need. Unnecessary story: Broke up with my two year g/f in January because she was cheating on me. I'm generally a really nice person, so we still talked after. I sent her the code for her birthday yesterday because I'm nice and I don't need it. I have no idea if she used it since she blocked me on Steam, changed her name and doesn't speak to me; shows you what kind of person she is. :roll: So first person that PMs me gets the code, however it may have been used.

#1292 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10513 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Opinions on Turba?

#1293 MIND LINK   FREE DRUGS CAGiversary!   3108 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Opinions on Turba?

I like block puzzlers. I like music games.

Now, together, this should be a game that's right up my alley. It is not.

Skip it and wait for the inevitable indie-bundle inclusion.

#1294 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11211 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Opinions on Turba?

Got it in some $5 for 5 indie beat bundle Steam had during one of their sales -- wasn't impressed. Played maybe thirty minutes total. It's fairly unpolished and amateur. Save your money.

#1295 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10513 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I like block puzzlers. I like music games.

Now, together, this should be a game that's right up my alley. It is not.

Skip it and wait for the inevitable indie-bundle inclusion.

Got it in some $5 for 5 indie beat bundle Steam had during one of their sales -- wasn't impressed. Played maybe thirty minutes total. It's fairly unpolished and amateur. Save your money.

Thanks, guys. I'll stick with Audiosurf and Beat Trip.

#1296 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll stick with Audiosurf and Beat Trip.

FYI there's a beta signup for the Audiosurf sequel, Audiosurf Air, available here. I'm not sure if it's going to be conducted through Steam or not.

#1297 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10513 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

FYI there's a beta signup for the Audiosurf sequel, Audiosurf Air, available here. I'm not sure if it's going to be conducted through Steam or not.

Very cool!

#1298 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11211 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Also if you don't have Beat Hazard remember it's in the upcoming Groupees/Be Mine bundle. Different style of game but still in the 'play to your music' genre and much better executed.

Totally unrelated, in regards to Orcs Must Die 2:

OMD2 is a PC exclusive.
We were really happy with the enthusiasm of the XBLA community, but ultimately it was a pretty small group compared to our PC Community. It's unfortunate, but it requires a significant amount of time and resources to port the game to PC. This time around, we chose to focus all of our resources on the single platform that had the biggest community for us, and in doing so we feel we can ultimately deliver a better product.

#1299 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10513 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

http://www.gameinfor...e-lives-on.aspx

3rd Penny Arcade game screenshots and stuff.

#1300 akmgmer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

I am actually pretty excited to see that. I just played the first two about a month ago but to see the story continued in that form is pretty awesome.

#1301 houdinilogic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

houdinilogic

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

sign me up.

#1302 DarenDF   Don't Do this CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Really excited and I loved the first two and the games that zeboyd did, so my hopes are high for this.

#1303 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

Since we discussed this a couple pages ago, I do believe it's worth noting the Joystiq article on Penny Arcade Adventures 3. Some new screenshots of the game (they look good!) and info about the battle system (Grandia-style!) are contained therein.

That looks fantastic. Since it's not coming to Xbox Live Arcade, guess I'm buying it on Steam.

#1304 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

Looks kinda like a SNES FF in a way. Which means it's looking awesome, and I know they can do good work.

#1305 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5800 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Total agreement. There are a half dozen similar games that blow it away. The music aspect wasn't implemented well. It's just not a terribly interesting game.

#1306 Drabelincoln   Do Not + Will Not CAGiversary!   6743 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Drabelincoln

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Not sure how old you guys are but
http://www.kickstart...arry-come-again

I know...another Kickstarter...but Larry 6 was one of the first PC games I can remember owning. They will, like the others be offering Steam keys when completed if funded. I pledged...love me some Larry Laffer They are making 1-7 (this kickstarter is only for the 1st one) and possible making Leisure Suit Larry 4 (the one that was never actually made).

#1307 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5800 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Haha that's very cool.

For a $100 Leisure Suit Larry pledge you get "something Sierra would NEVER have put in the box: an actual Leisure Suit Larry™ Brand Condom." How very Larry!

#1308 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

I know...another Kickstarter...but Larry 6 was one of the first PC games I can remember owning. They will, like the others be offering Steam keys when completed if funded. I pledged...love me some Larry Laffer They are making 1-7 (this kickstarter is only for the 1st one) and possible making Leisure Suit Larry 4 (the one that was never actually made).

Dude! Now that's a Kickstarter I can get behind. The Leisure Suit Larry games are just awesome - anyone who'd like to learn more can read the series history at Hardcoregaming101. I'm so tempted to donate $100 to get a box, but I probably can't afford it... Will definitely pitch in something though.

#1309 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

The thing about this is that the game was announced months ago so I'm not sure why they need a Kickstarter now. I also think it's odd that the $15 reward tier gets you a digital copy of a remake of a very old game. I know that Kickstarter isn't just about the rewards or pre-ordering a game that you know you'll buy the second it comes out. I also played these games and I'm a huge adventure game fan, so it's not that I'm down on it being an old game. I just don't quite understand the value proposition when Double Fine, and just about every other high profile game kickstarter project lately, was offering a brand new game that wouldn't otherwise be made without the help of backers for the same price, especially since it seemed like it was already a done deal as far as being made.

#1310 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

The thing about this is that the game was announced months ago so I'm not sure why they need a Kickstarter now. I also think it's odd that the $15 reward tier gets you a digital copy of a remake of a very old game. I know that Kickstarter isn't just about the rewards or pre-ordering a game that you know you'll buy the second it comes out. I also played these games and I'm a huge adventure game fan, so it's not that I'm down on it being an old game. I just don't quite understand the value proposition when Double Fine, and just about every other high profile game kickstarter project lately, was offering a brand new game that wouldn't otherwise be made without the help of backers for the same price, especially since it seemed like it was already a done deal as far as being made.

Clearly they couldn't find a publisher and need financial backing to continue. They did pull in the original creators, who surely aren't working for free. When it comes down to it, Kickstarter campaigns are a way for small developers to make a game without risk to themselves - if the game hits its goal, they get to make it and be paid for it and not have to worry about whether it sells or not. I don't see any negative unless you approach it from a deal-minded perspective, but that wouldn't help the game actually become a reality.

Also, here's a video from the previous VGA remake of Land of the Lounge Lizards:

Xcoft_D5ifc

#1311 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

Clearly they couldn't find a publisher and need financial backing to continue. They did pull in the original creators, who surely aren't working for free. When it comes down to it, Kickstarter campaigns are a way for small developers to make a game without risk to themselves - if the game hits its goal, they get to make it and be paid for it and not have to worry about whether it sells or not.

You say clearly, but you're just making an assumption. The great thing about Kickstarter, as you say, is it removes risk for the developer. It also means they're not answering to anyone and they can connect better with their fans which is why I don't understand why they aren't open with exactly what is going on with development.

From their Kickstarter page:

This is what drove us to create this Kickstarter campaign. Had we taken this idea to a publisher, they would've turned us down cold since they think adventure games are dead.

If true, what was their plan before? That reads like they didn't even try to go to a publisher. How were they planning on making this when it was announced last year? I'm not saying this isn't going to happen or that it should be done or anything like that. I just think it's handled a bit oddly and something is missing.

#1312 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

If true, what was their plan before? That reads like they didn't even try to go to a publisher. How were they planning on making this when it was announced last year? I'm not saying this isn't going to happen or that it should be done or anything like that. I just think it's handled a bit oddly and something is missing.

You're overthinking it. Maybe they never did pitch it to a publisher, or maybe they pitched a past entry and that was good enough to convince them the new one wouldn't get picked up. Why does it even matter?

In non-downer news, iOS hit Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP is coming to Steam on April 16! I can't wait to play it.

#1313 BigSpoonyBard   Aaaaauuugghh! CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

BigSpoonyBard

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:31 AM

In non-downer news, iOS hit Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP is coming to Steam on April 16! I can't wait to play it.

Ah, you beat me to posting the news. I'm excited. I have it on my iphone, but that type of longer-play-session experience isn't working for me on the phone. However, I can see where I would sit down with it if it were on my laptop (with full sound).

#1314 gcorlett   For reals. CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

That was a serious question. I'm honestly curious at where a person like you draws the line between acceptable and unacceptable behavior and why you might feel proud of it.

Too much, Louiedog. This CAG has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve your belittlement.

It's up to Subsoap to decide if he's a douchebag or not, not you. Apparently, they're fine with giving away their future. That's their choice... maximizing exposure is a valid strategy, and one they seem willing to engage in.

This CAG is merely participating in the conversation with relevant information. You may not like what he has to say, but you don't have to be cruel to get your point across.

#1315 RollingSkull   Banned Banned   6307 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

RollingSkull

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

I still remain of the opinion that Sworcery is awful.

And I probably need to go back and play the old LSL games. My taste for Sierra adventure games that aren't QFG4 is weak though.

3rd Penny Arcade game looks terrible. There are good sprites and just dopey throwback sprites and those look firmly in the latter camp. I'd rather have the art of the originals, but those didn't sell so whatever.

#1316 unless   Correct. CAGiversary!   149 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Too much, Louiedog. This CAG has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve your belittlement.

I disagree. sunasun called himself "King of the Douchebags"; I hardly think he's going to be upset by being called out as dishonest and exploitative. I'm honestly curious as to his rationale (or, perhaps, justification).

#1317 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15257 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I disagree. sunasun called himself "King of the Douchebags"; I hardly think he's going to be upset by being called out as dishonest and exploitative. I'm honestly curious as to his rationale (or, perhaps, justification).

And not a shit is truly given. Come on, guys, this isn't OTT. :( I should just be telling you how Faerie Solitaire has consumed 11 hours of my time and kept me up for the past two nights because the gameplay is addicting, and I'd love to see more specials in the second one, like cards that you need to use twice and cards that mirror the card underneath them. And the pets could possibly do something, like give you extra cards, give you more money, or make magical items more likely to appear. Basically, they should have more of a function.

Also, I bought all of the power ups, but I don't get how the Tree of Life works. I thought it would show me the face down cards after I played a certain number of hands. =\

#1318 Flowette   Level 112 Tea Drinking Royalty CAGiversary!   2166 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

... And the pets could possibly do something ...

I'd be happy with them just flying around in the background, adding something to the scenery :lol:

Faerie Solitaire was a surprise hit for me. Didn't think I'd dig it nearly as much as I did, so thanks to everybody who recommended it :)

Also, this week I've been playing Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4. Having played a number of Lego titles in the past (both Star Wars games, Batman, Indiana Jones) I was pleased that they've moved away from the standard format of using an HQ (the academic college in Indy, the Batcave in Batman) to simply work as a hub for 6 bog-standard quests.

Instead, Hogwarts leads you through each movie, heading from classrooms (to learn spells) and then on to a story section (of which there are six in each movie). It all fits together really well, and there's a nice flow of events rather than the standard story-story-story-obligatoryvehiclesection-story format.

Yes, I'm a Potter fan, which helps massively. There's plenty of nods to the films (which you'd expect) and the Lego humour is there for all to see. If you haven't read the books or seen the films it might be a little confusing, mind.

Best Lego title in a good, long while. I expect I'll pick up the sequel in a future sale.

#1319 unless   Correct. CAGiversary!   149 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

And not a shit is truly given. Come on, guys, this isn't OTT. :(

Yeah, fair enough. Dropping it.

Anyway, yeah, FS is crazy addictive. Glancing over what they're adding to the sequel is kind of terrifying. Hundreds of pets, hundreds of locations, a full remake of the first game...god help us all.

Edit: Just loaded up the game again, and I think the Tree of Life just makes you start each hand with 25% fewer face down cards? I could be wrong.

Edited by unless, 03 April 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#1320 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

3rd Penny Arcade game looks terrible. There are good sprites and just dopey throwback sprites and those look firmly in the latter camp. I'd rather have the art of the originals, but those didn't sell so whatever.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with this as well. I know it goes against the majority feeling here, but I just can't get past going from what we got in PA 1&2 to this. I appreciate Zeboyd for what he does and if it was a completely separate game I'd probably be fine with it, but I can't see this as progress at all for Penny Arcade.

I won't be grabbing it, but I am sure plenty of other people will be enjoying it and would rather have this than nothing at all. I would rather have nothing, but different strokes...

As for Kickstarter, I am starting to have Kickstarter burnout so no LSL for me.

I did, however, contribute to Subsoap's own alpha funding for Faerie Solitaire 2 a few days back (which will auto upgrade to the Infinity Bundle I was told). That game was a surprise hit for me and among developers they are some of the most generous and awesome.