- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

#1321 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

3rd Penny Arcade game looks terrible. There are good sprites and just dopey throwback sprites and those look firmly in the latter camp. I'd rather have the art of the originals, but those didn't sell so whatever.

To be honest, the news that Zeboyd is doing it didn't exactly make me excited. While I find Cthulu was cute, it had a lot of annoying old school JRPG elements I felt we were long past and that I wasn't nostalgic for. For something that is going to have to stand on its own, it better be better than that.

Also, this week I've been playing Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4. Having played a number of Lego titles in the past (both Star Wars games, Batman, Indiana Jones) I was pleased that they've moved away from the standard format of using an HQ (the academic college in Indy, the Batcave in Batman) to simply work as a hub for 6 bog-standard quests.

Instead, Hogwarts leads you through each movie, heading from classrooms (to learn spells) and then on to a story section (of which there are six in each movie). It all fits together really well, and there's a nice flow of events rather than the standard story-story-story-obligatoryvehiclesection-story format.

Yes, I'm a Potter fan, which helps massively. There's plenty of nods to the films (which you'd expect) and the Lego humour is there for all to see. If you haven't read the books or seen the films it might be a little confusing, mind.

Best Lego title in a good, long while. I expect I'll pick up the sequel in a future sale.

I'm actually working on finishing up 5-7. Overall, it is a pretty solid entry, tho it is a little annoying that you don't know when an actual level starts until you are in it. This is actually my 6 year old's introduction to Harry Potter, and while he doesn't know everything that is going on, he's enjoying it and getting familiar with the characters.

Not sure what I think about LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes potentially having voice acting. I've been impressed with Traveler's Tales being able to tell a story without using words.

In other things, Sideway NY is annoying me in that it keeps crashing on the Times Square level. According to the forums, I'm not the only one who has that problem. Otherwise, I would have finished it already.

Personally, I think it is a good game, but not everything it could have been. Level design doesn't take advantage of being a 2D platformer on a 3D surface as well as it could.

#1322 KaOTiK   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1843 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Midweek Madness:

X Superbox $19.99 50% off includes below
X Tension $2.49 50% off
X Beyond the Frontier $2.49 50% off
X2 The Threat $2.49 50% off
X3 Reunion $4.99 50% off
X3 Terran Conflict $7.99 50% off
X3 Albion Prelude $4.99 50% off

#1323 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

today's deal is Capsized at 75% off ($2.49)

#1324 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

today's deal is Capsized at 75% off ($2.49)

I really like Capsized. I think it's a well done sort of Metroidvania style game. I don't believe it has been in a bundle before. I know I grabbed it on one of the big Steam sales a while back myself so it does go on sale then too, but it has a tendency, like many other non AAA games, to get lost in all the sale hoopla.

#1325 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Blur is 75% off as another midweek for $5.

Thoughts?

#1326 akmgmer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thoughts?

Blur was really fun when it was released mostly due to the online races. Not sure what type of community might be left at this point. Its an arcade racer where you grab power ups and use them on your opponents. 5 dollars might be worth it if there is still an online community.

Bizarre Creations was one of my game developers ever since PGR3 on the 360.

#1327 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7726 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thoughts?

I picked up 360 copy of Blur like within a week or so of release from Best Buy for $15. I do not recall the deal, but either way I was very happy with it.

I like to consider it a mix between Burnout and Mario Kart. The crashes are cool, the driving is satisfying, the graphics clearly are quite realistic and yet there is still that frantic multiplayer feel that Mario Kart instills through the use of powerups.

I would recommend it for $5, especially if you are going to be playing multiplayer either locally or online.

#1328 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

And I just bought Blur. Thanks for the recommendations guys :D. Hope the PC port is pretty good.

#1329 pROvIs   Clash With Reality CAGiversary!   2910 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Not sure if X is all that popular in this community. It took me a really long time to offload the copy I won in the gift pile for less than half of their asking price.

That being said, blur is a ton of fun.

Edited by pROvIs, 03 April 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#1330 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21395 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I also recommend Blur. Have it on the 360, great game. Looks great, plays great, and is tons of fun. Like a realistic looking mario kart is a great comparison.

#1331 JakeNome   Shady Panda Peddler CAGiversary!   1372 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

oh wow ive wanted Blur for a while now. I probably wont ever play it, but im getting it!

#1332 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Free to Play Microsoft Flight is now on Steam.

#1333 matttco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   94 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I really want Silent Hill homecoming to go on sale again. I missed it last time for 10 and now its up to 40.

#1334 walkonshadows   Terminal CAGtosis CAGiversary!   1640 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

walkonshadows

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated, got a microsoft sidewinder I can dust off for this. Don't know if I'd buy it when it discounts, but maybe I'll get bitten by the bug again.

also, any comment on the X Series that's part of the mid-week madness, i've watched the trailers, but what exactly do you "do" in this game. It's awefully pretty,but 95% of the footage is just slow camera pans around a ship or base.

#1335 BigSpoonyBard   Aaaaauuugghh! CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

BigSpoonyBard

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Just a heads up: The X Superbox has been even cheaper ($9.99) in prior sales, so this sale isn't too spectacular.

#1336 Drabelincoln   Do Not + Will Not CAGiversary!   6743 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Drabelincoln

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I really want Silent Hill homecoming to go on sale again. I missed it last time for 10 and now its up to 40.

I wanted it too but after doing some reading on the steam forums it sounds like its a broken mess.

#1337 matttco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   94 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I wanted it too but after doing some reading on the steam forums it sounds like its a broken mess.

Can't be any more broken then the recent HD collection release :)

#1338 Mugatu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   969 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

OT but I REALLY hope that this signals the upcoming end of Games for Windows Live (at least the marketplace) and MS just starts putting their stuff on to Steam instead. I know it's wishful thinking but maybe it will happen?

#1339 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Does it require GFWL? If it doesn't I will give it a try. It's pretty ridiculous that you have to launch Steam and then GFWL for some games and is probably the primary reason besides the lack of community I didn't get Gotham City Imposters.

#1340 LegioXIX   SPQR CAGiversary!   411 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

GFWL is listed under the system requirements.

#1341 gcorlett   For reals. CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Edit: Just loaded up the game again, and I think the Tree of Life just makes you start each hand with 25% fewer face down cards? I could be wrong.

That was my understanding, too. I just bought the ring-thing that powers up on unused cards from your deck, and then lets you blow up cards on the table. Makes the game more strategic, less fun. Hadn't anticipated that wrinkle; it's sort of killed the pleasure for me, and I think it's unlikely that I'll bother to complete the game.

Also, I agree with the posters that the Pets system is underdeveloped. I thought from the description that they would have perks when they were adults. Instead, nothing. Definitely room for improvement on this title, but I got it for free, so no complaints. I also admire what the company is doing... the whole co-op developer thing. Looking forward to their Alchemy title; I love Alchemy games on smart phones.

#1342 gcorlett   For reals. CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

OT but I REALLY hope that this signals the upcoming end of Games for Windows Live (at least the marketplace) and MS just starts putting their stuff on to Steam instead. I know it's wishful thinking but maybe it will happen?

The press release for Flight says that GFWL is required for multiplayer.

Does it require GFWL? If it doesn't I will give it a try. It's pretty ridiculous that you have to launch Steam and then GFWL for some games and is probably the primary reason besides the lack of community I didn't get Gotham City Imposters.

QFT. So so annoying. I did this for 60+ hours of GTA IV. At least, however, GFWL is stable and reasonably easy to use. They work well together.

#1343 pROvIs   Clash With Reality CAGiversary!   2910 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Something like flight MS is going to keep on GFWL simply because its a free to play microtransaction model. Why give Steam their 30% cut or whatever they get when they could keep 100%? Most free to play games operate on their own transaction servers. People are willing to deal with a lot more in those situations.

The thing is with GFWL I don't think you will see any high profile games going to it at this point unless its a console port. Microsoft doesn't really make PC games anymore and the live infrastructure on PC has slowly been decaying over the last few years. For a while it seemed like they were going to try and bring it back but then they merged it with xbox.com and now its hard to even figure out it still exists.

#1344 Jon7   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   891 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Something like flight MS is going to keep on GFWL simply because its a free to play microtransaction model. Why give Steam their 30% cut or whatever they get when they could keep 100%? Most free to play games operate on their own transaction servers.

They added the microtransactions to Steam now as well, so Steam will indeed get their cut.

#1345 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I also admire what the company is doing... the whole co-op developer thing. Looking forward to their Alchemy title; I love Alchemy games on smart phones.

You can actually get an early release version of Faerie Alchemy now, at least for Android, Flash and HTML5. I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Faerie Solitaire 2 the other day (3/31) for $10 and they sent me a link for early developmet versions of FS2 and FA in HTML 5, Flash and Android varieties.

http://www.subsoap.c...ie-solitaire-2/

I imagine the Infinity Bundle gets that too.

They added the microtransactions to Steam now as well, so Steam will indeed get their cut.

I'm pretty sure they have to or will get booted off like some of the EA stuff that refused to allow their dlc/microtransactions on Steam.

Old games can get away with it be being grandfathered but newer stuff I think has to have their dlc and/or microtransactions available on Steam.

#1346 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6236 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Kinda want Capsized, but I'm afraid that it'll show up in a bundle sometime down the line and I'll feel like an idiot for having bought it.

On the other hand though, $2.50 is pretty cheap. Far less than the BTA on recent Humble Bundles. Hmmmm

#1347 Severose   I'm okie dokie and loopy CAGiversary!   2428 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

OP updated ;)

#1348 Flowette   Level 112 Tea Drinking Royalty CAGiversary!   2166 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Kinda want Capsized, but I'm afraid that it'll show up in a bundle sometime down the line and I'll feel like an idiot for having bought it.

On the other hand though, $2.50 is pretty cheap. Far less than the BTA on recent Humble Bundles. Hmmmm

I got it in one of Steam's indie bundles a while back, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Gameplay is good, story isn't too long/short, soundtrack is excellent.

It probably will end up in a bundle at some point, but if you're stuck for a fun arcadey shooter to play for now then this is great value.

Crap stat: I've finished about 12 of my 200+ Steam titles, Capsized is one of the 12. :lol:

#1349 Severose   I'm okie dokie and loopy CAGiversary!   2428 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

To whoever it was that posted about buying the King Arthur II: Dead Legions to get the base game as well, it actually worked. I did what you said and bought the standalone expansion and now I have the base game as well. I know this because I won a contest and got a key for King Arthur II, the base game, and I wasn't able to activate it on Steam.

To try and resolve the issue, or to make sure that I actually owned the game, I emailed support about the problem and they told me that I own the base game with my purchase of only the standalone expansion, Dead Legions. I even was honest with them and told them that I only bought the Dead Legions expansion, and never purchased the base game; the support rep told me the same thing he did before, that I own the base game. :D

So anyone who did the same thing, check your "DLC" for the game (right-click the game in your library and click on View Downloadable Content), and you should see 4 items, including a forum key, the base game, and the standalone expansion. ;)

EDIT: Apparently it's now considered "DLC", so I guess it's no longer a "standalone expansion". =P

Edited by Severose, 04 April 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#1350 gcorlett   For reals. CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

You can actually get an early release version of Faerie Alchemy now, at least for Android, Flash and HTML5.

Thanks for the tip. Faerie Alchemy is indeed in the Android Market. $5.