- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

#1351 Kaltic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1573 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

Does it require GFWL? If it doesn't I will give it a try. It's pretty ridiculous that you have to launch Steam and then GFWL for some games and is probably the primary reason besides the lack of community I didn't get Gotham City Imposters.

I don't know if they have changed it with newer games or what not but what you said is misleading. With Red Faction Guerrilla you don't have to start GFWL, beyond the initial account association. After that it starts like any other game does.

What you described made it sound like it starts like BF3, which requires you to open a client to open a website to then open the game. Going from Steam to a GFWL title requires to to start Steam and then open the game. Again, this could be different with other GFWL titles, but that was the case with RFG and Dawn of War 2. After the first start up, both of those games started like any other game on steam, except that there were a popup saying you signed in to GFWL whenever the game started.

#1352 walkonshadows   Terminal CAGtosis CAGiversary!   1640 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

walkonshadows

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

As far as the free Microsoft Flight requiring GFWL. It wouldn't launch at all until I installed GFWL because of a dll error, but I don't have to run GFWL. It launches just fine through Steam now.

#1353 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

I don't know if they have changed it with newer games or what not but what you said is misleading. With Red Faction Guerrilla you don't have to start GFWL, beyond the initial account association. After that it starts like any other game does.

This is correct. I know some people will hate GFWL because it's another program they need to have installed, but after you've got that out of the way, there really is no additional inconvenience with playing a GFWL game through Steam.

GFWL was certainly worse when it started out, but so was Steam. I would urge gamers not to let a game's GFWL status dissuade them from trying Flight, Age of Empires Online, and other quality GFWL titles.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I think Microsoft will do another big GFWL push after Windows 8 comes along. I believe the client will simply be built into Windows 8, which removes some of the psychological barrier that currently exists. Of course, they still have to get devs to sign up to use GFWL features, so they may drop the ball again.

#1354 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I think Microsoft will do another big GFWL push after Windows 8 comes along. I believe the client will simply be built into Windows 8, which removes some of the psychological barrier that currently exists. Of course, they still have to get devs to sign up to use GFWL features, so they may drop the ball again.

That makes sense. Windows Live IDs, or whatever they're called now, are built right into the system in Windows 8. So in theory people will always be logged in to their GFWL/Xbox accounts. That, combined with the store being rolled into xbox.com, means they don't really need any sort of client anymore.

#1355 Mikerrrr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   210 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

This is correct. I know some people will hate GFWL because it's another program they need to have installed, but after you've got that out of the way, there really is no additional inconvenience with playing a GFWL game through Steam.

GFWL was certainly worse when it started out, but so was Steam. I would urge gamers not to let a game's GFWL status dissuade them from trying Flight, Age of Empires Online, and other quality GFWL titles.

I don't mind GFWL being another program installed -- I feel like it's par for the course in today's heated DD space. That said, I absolutely hate it for its stability issues and the way it handles saves. They're encrypted, tied to either an online or offline account (with no crosstalk between the two), can't be backed up without copying obscure folders (xlive folder, anyone?), and are just a general pain in the ass.

My own experiences with GFWL weren't that bad until I played Bulletstorm and Arkham City. Bulletstorm would just outright crash at the splash screen, so I had to reinstall GFWL through a few different methods to get it to run. When I bought Arkham City, I played it for a few hours, then came back to it the next day to find that the game hadn't saved. Turns out it was because GFWL wasn't loading itself into the program, and I had to reinstall it for the eighth time or something ridiculous.

And let's not talk about the patching process...

Although GFWL won't turn me off of buying a great game, it makes me wait until it's on sale, because I know that there's a chance it'll give me grief.

#1356 sunasun   "The Burger King" CAGiversary!   4638 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

I disagree. sunasun called himself "King of the Douchebags"; I hardly think he's going to be upset by being called out as dishonest and exploitative. I'm honestly curious as to his rationale (or, perhaps, justification).

Next time he calls me a douchebag, I'll just cry about it. He only paid $1, I don't understand why he is so upset about Subsoap sending me a code.

Here's a free PAM code for Steam
EDKXZ-N29EF-PGRRX

#1357 monkeyz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   265 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

Next time he calls me a douchebag, I'll just cry about it. He only paid $1, I don't understand why he is so upset about Subsoap sending me a code.

Here's a free PAM code for Steam
EDKXZ-N29EF-PGRRX

Wow thank you so much for that. I got it, I think thats a first for me lol I never am quick enough for these things. I've been looking forward to P.A.M. I love all those racing destruction type games thanks man again for the generosity.

#1358 pinoyunggoy   GO CHARGERS!!! CAGiversary!   491 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

pinoyunggoy

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

Downloaded Blur for $5. Excited to try it out later.

#1359 sunasun   "The Burger King" CAGiversary!   4638 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

Wow thank you so much for that. I got it, I think thats a first for me lol I never am quick enough for these things. I've been looking forward to P.A.M. I love all those racing destruction type games thanks man again for the generosity.

Enjoy!!! And you're quite welcome.

#1360 Bierno  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Blur is a good game... even tho its a console port.. its worth the 5$

#1361 poxi   something went wrong CAGiversary!   939 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

BE MINE 2 Bundle preorder is live!

at least 4$ - The Baconing, Sol Survivor, Madballs in Babo:Invasion, Plain Sight, Beat Hazard

more than 10$ - additionally Killing Floor and sth TBA

#1362 Drabelincoln   Do Not + Will Not CAGiversary!   6743 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Drabelincoln

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

BE MINE 2 Bundle preorder is live!

at least 4$ - The Baconing, Sol Survivor, Madballs in Babo:Invasion, Plain Sight, Beat Hazard

more than 10$ - additionally Killing Floor and sth TBA

Hrmmmm I really wanted to get a copy of killing floor for a friend but having to pay 10 dollars.... I dunno

#1363 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21395 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hrmmmm I really wanted to get a copy of killing floor for a friend but having to pay 10 dollars.... I dunno

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I was actually thinking about getting it as gifts, but at 10 bucks a pop I might as well wait for a steam sale on the whole pack with dlc.

None of the other games are that enticing for the pricetag since I already have Madballs and Beat Hazard

#1364 JakeNome   Shady Panda Peddler CAGiversary!   1372 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Killing Floor will most definitely be on sale again eventually. That game is on sale quite often.
As for this indie bundle, the only things i dont have are the baconing and sol survivor. Im not really interested in either one. Its been a while since I purchased an indie bundle. I guess Ill pass on this one too.

#1365 spoderman  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'll probably just pay $4 for the Be Mine 2 bundle. Unless the unrevealed special bonus is worth the extra cost, I'd rather wait until the Killing Floor complete pack is cheap again.

#1366 Flowette   Level 112 Tea Drinking Royalty CAGiversary!   2166 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Can somebody who has the bundle please give an idea as to what the EP is like?

Can't believe a choice over whether or not to buy a bundle has come down to the music :lol:

#1367 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Indie Royale just went live

Steam keys for
  • Defense Grid
  • Hack, Slash, Loot
  • Alien Zombie Megadeath
  • Astro Tripper

Included, but not on Steam, is a copy of Explodemon.
http://www.indieroyale.com/

#1368 dfg   Impecunious Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   3132 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Can somebody who has the bundle please give an idea as to what the EP is like?

Can't believe a choice over whether or not to buy a bundle has come down to the music :lol:

I thought Fantomenk was pretty good (never listened to much chiptuneage), Celldweller was godawful, and Damage Vault sounded like a wannabe Nine Inch Nails without the cringe-inducing adolescent lyrics and vocals.

#1369 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I thought Fantomenk was pretty good (never listened to much chiptuneage), Celldweller was godawful, and Damage Vault sounded like a wannabe Nine Inch Nails without the cringe-inducing adolescent lyrics and vocals.

It sounds like the same EP as before. I actually liked Celldweller. Fantomenk wasn't bad for chiptune stuff.

#1370 spoderman  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

I thought the same. Fantomenk was the best of the bunch IMO, Celldweller is simply horrible, and Damage Vault was just ok..

#1371 dfg   Impecunious Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   3132 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

It sounds like the same EP as before. I actually liked Celldweller. Fantomenk wasn't bad for chiptune stuff.

I assumed he meant the original EP because I dun think the new one is out yet.

#1372 Flowette   Level 112 Tea Drinking Royalty CAGiversary!   2166 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I assumed he meant the original EP because I dun think the new one is out yet.

Aah, the way I read it was that they had a new album for the bundle. I think I'm getting confused with Indie Royale which has a habit of throwing in pre-order bonuses though.

But yes, agree with your comments on the original EP :) It's not often I delete little-known music stuff but that Damage Vault album really wasn't up my street.

#1373 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Today's deal is SpaceChem at 66% off ($3.39)

#1374 Mike UFC   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1268 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

SpaceChem is definitely not for everybody. I played long enough to get a piece of coal and the TF2 pin and called it a day. I did get a satisfying feeling of accomplishment when I solved a puzzle though.

#1375 SkullTheTroll   Virtual Adventurer CAGiversary!   78 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

SkullTheTroll

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

I love SpaceChem, but then I'm a programmer by profession because I love programming challenges, which is what SpaceChem is.

#1376 Outinthedark   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Outinthedark

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

SpaceChem is one of my favorite puzzle games. Takes a while to understand wtf is going on but once you do it's one of those "Oh I get it now" moments.

#1377 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

These bundles are crazy now. Once one ends, another starts it seems like :lol:.

#1378 MIND LINK   FREE DRUGS CAGiversary!   3108 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

These bundles are crazy now. Once one ends, another starts it seems like :lol:.

I love it. Can't get enough of these bundles. :bouncy:

#1379 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10513 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'm pickier about these bundles. With a nearly 200 game Steam library, I don't need more games I won't play in it.

#1380 Palinn   Skip the odds. CAGiversary!   2244 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

I love SpaceChem, but then I'm a programmer by profession because I love programming challenges, which is what SpaceChem is.

I am also a programmer but SpaceChem hurt my brain. Maybe I should have played on a Sunday after I'd had a chance to restore some brain juice. All those 0's and 1's don'tchaknow...:D