Journey of my balls. From IVF to Vasectomy.

eldergamer

CAGiversary!
Let's do this time-line style.

• March 2000. Get Married. No plans for kids in the near future.
  • Winter 2001. At Medical Technology school, I performed a semen analysis on my own semen. Very few sperm seen and some immature cells. Still no plans for kids, but somewhat concerning.
  • Summer 2002. Thinking about kids. Get seen by a proctologist. Everything looks normal down there. Given some medication.
  • Fall or Winter 2002. Proctologist wants to do a testicle biopsy to look at the tissue and see the root of the problem. Biopsy shows immature sperm tissue. (Where's all this body hair come from, then!)
  • December 2003. Due to my low sperm counts and a few of the wife's issues we go to Atlanta for IVF treatment.
  • Early 2004. Successfully implantation and wife is pregnant with twins. Things start going bad soon after.
  • May 2004. Twins born prematurely at 22 weeks. Anthony only lives 5 days. Grant is more stable and is in the NICU for 6 months.
  • October 2004. After 6 agonizing months, Grant passes away in the NICU.
  • Late October/Early November 2004. Wife gets pregnant again. Naturally.
  • July 2005 Successfully full term natural birth to 8 lb baby boy.
  • April 2007. Decided we'd like another kid. Have IUI performed since we're not having any luck getting pregnant.
  • December 2007 Successfully full term natural birth to 8lb baby girl.
  • Summer 2010. Wife starts nursing school.
  • February 2011. Dinner conversation: "You know, I should get a vasectomy. It would suck if you got pregnant in nursing school." Her: "Nah.. You know how much trouble we have getting pregnant? We've been having unprotected sex for years without getting pregnant!"
  • March 2011. Wife gets pregnant.
  • July 2011. Wife graduates from nursing school.
  • December 2011. Successful full term natural birth to 7lb baby girl.
  • March 2012. I go in to get scalpel free vasectomy.
So there you have it. From IVF to vasectomy in 8 years. Both of us were told we'd likely never have children, now we've got our hands full. One is high-functioning autistic.

Wow. Should really turn this into a book. It'd do well as a memoir.

We've done the March of Dimes walk for 8 years now as well. Please make a contribution to our team so that March of Dimes can continue their cause of education and prevention of premature births.

http://www.marchforbabies.org/anthonyandgrant

I thought proctologists only specialize in assholes.

Anyways, sorry for what you went through with your twins. That's a rough thing to read, and I could only imagine actually living through it.

Sounds like you had some serious ups and downs the past years. Glad to read everything turned out well for you and your family.

[quote name='eldergamer']Winter 2001. At Medical Technology school, I performed a semen analysis on my own semen.
http://www.marchforbabies.org/anthonyandgrant[/QUOTE]

This is the bit I have the most questions about. Like, did you just get up and go to the bathroom during class one day, and masturbate? Surely the teacher didn't ask the class to bring a sample of their own semen in as homework.

[quote name='DestroVega']Scalpel free vasectomy? do tell..[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask too as my wife and I have discussed it. I heard a commercial on the radio for it and imagined opening a door and having a dude in a lab coat kick me really hard in the marbles. I hope its not that.

Sorry to hear about your twins as well. Heavy story there.

Love the thread title though.. might make a good video game title if it had coop

I had my vasectomy after my 3rd was born as well, mainly due to the complications that my wife started during pregnancy having after out first. Sure we would like another, but it is just not worth the risk. To the OP, sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine what you went through. Life is a real trip.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']This is the bit I have the most questions about. Like, did you just get up and go to the bathroom during class one day, and masturbate? Surely the teacher didn't ask the class to bring a sample of their own semen in as homework.[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes they did. The point was for you to gain understanding of the patients collecting specimens. And live sperm move better on a slide for counting....
There were only 2 other males in the class. (Of 12) Some women brought in their husbands semen.
I brought mine in on the bus that day. Semen. On public transportation. Tucked under my armpit to keep it warm so the sperm would stay motile.

We also had to collect our own 24 hour urines.

[quote name='DestroVega']Scalpel free vasectomy? do tell..[/QUOTE]

Well, much to my dismay I learned that it does invovle a scalpel. And possibly scissors! But instead of cutting the vas deferens, they clip and pinch it so sperm can't move up into the prostate. It's all done on an out-patient basis in the doctor's office.

I had a vasectomy in April of 2011 just after getting fired from a job. I don't have any kids and have been married a year and a half, but getting one is something I've been interested in since high school. My wife also agreed I should get one so we could save money on her buying birth control medications every month.

I had my procedure done at a Planned Parenthood clinic and because I was hard on money at the time, I wasn't able to afford the option where I would have been put to sleep during the procedure. My initial reaction as they put on the numbing gel was a kicking reflex, which almost kicked the nurse in the face! The procedure itself felt like a lot of tugging and soreness (the actual area of the procedure was covered up with a thin white sheet, but I could still see the doctor and nurse working on it the whole time).

The pain afterwards was pretty bad - didn't want to have sex for a month. The soreness of the literal ball bruising was very bad for the first week. Even walking would hurt my balls. I feel a lot better about the pain after a month. I do find that after the procedure I tend to have a lot more focus on things.

I believe mine was done with a scalpel.

And it's not that bad. Only needed one dose of the pain meds so far. Plenty of ice. Have a bit of a 'cowboy walk' but otherwise feel mostly okay.
Spent most of yesterday sleeping.

Glad to hear it's going well. They had me wear a cup which I think aggravated the problem - some loose fitting boxers allowed for less friction on the painful areas.

bread's done
Back