Harry Potter Wizards' Collection - $349.99 ($499.99 MSRP)

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Ran across this on Amazon.com, via Blu-Ray.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Harry-Potter-Wizards-Collection-Blu-ray/B007FSEAHY

Source article:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Harry-Potter-Wizards-Collection-Blu-ray/39646/

It's at $349.99 with a MSRP of $499.99. :shock:

My first thought was all the UCE versions of the Potter films, though it looks like it might be that and more.

One image of the insides of this item:
http://images4.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/39646_back.jpg

From a random post on Blu-Ray.com in their thread for all the UCE versions of the HP movies:

[quote name='From Blu-Ray.com']This looks like the definitive collection announced last year. Theres no way in hell I would spend 350 on this.

Contains 31 discs, inclusive of all content ever previously released, in addition to over 5 hours of never before seen special features, in a limited and numbered edition.
18 Movie Discs

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Theatrical Version and Extended Cut
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Theatrical Version and Extended Cut
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 2D and 3D Versions
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 2D and 3D Versions

13 Special Feature Discs

Includes multiple specially-produced, collectable memorabilia items, including concept art, a Map of Hogwarts and much more! Check back for further details coming in 201[/quote]

Guess this is the uber-box everyone's been waiting on? :lol:

and i just started my ultimate edition collection, damn it.

Selling the 3D discs could help offset cost...depends on what is on the bonus discs, if same as UE i will just get those

Yeah... it seems like they Wingardium Leviosa'd the price quite a bit.

I would like to eventually see all of the documentaries from the UE sets, but I don't currently feel that all of those supplements are worth the premium price-wise... and I couldn't care less about the cards and other little pieces of junk included with the individual UE releases.

The fact that this also includes some more junk and all of the movies on DVD doesn't make the price any less riddikulus. I guess I'll just stick with my Hogwarts trunk set, HBP combo pack and the Deathly Hallows 3D combo packs until the price of this set comes down to Earth.

[quote name='foreverjoe20']only thing that I didn't like...UltraViolet Digital Copy. I would still buy it if I had the money, but why UV?[/QUOTE]

Because UV is cross platform streaming where Itunes is way more restrictive, plus you can't watch itunes stuff on anything but iphone.

[quote name='dmdragon']Because UV is cross platform streaming where Itunes is way more restrictive, plus you can't watch itunes stuff on anything but iphone.[/QUOTE]
I think what he's saying is that a portion of that price is most likely taking the UltraViolet copies into account. For those of us who know how to rip DVDs/BluRays, the UltraViolet versions are practically pointless. I hate searching for movies I want and being limited to "bundles" that include like five copies of the same movie on DVD, BluRay, UltraViolet, etc... when all I really want is the BluRay copy.

Also, I just recently bought the cheaper UK version that comes with every BluRay. Though I can't wait to see what they stick in this version! Special features and that game board look great!

[quote name='Conkerkid11']I think what he's saying is that a portion of that price is most likely taking the UltraViolet copies into account. For those of us who know how to rip DVDs/BluRays, the UltraViolet versions are practically pointless. I[/QUOTE]

No I'm pretty sure he's specifically complaining about their choice of UV over a standard digital copy like so many other UV whiners you'll find on Amazon. If his complaint was against the inclusion of digital copies general he wouldnt have said "but why UV?".

[quote name='ssjmichael']No I'm pretty sure he's specifically complaining about their choice of UV over a standard digital copy like so many other UV whiners you'll find on Amazon. That's why he says "but why UV?"[/QUOTE]

Exactly, if he had said "But why include digital copies" then I would agree, but he sounds like he's complaining about UV. I personally like UV, it makes the digital copies easier to watch for someone who doesn't like to watch them on their computer or have an I device.

I personally have never used a digital copy, I am never somewhere long enough to have time to acutally watch a whole movie. And they are like 2 Gb which is a waste of space

[quote name='merchie89']I personally have never used a digital copy, I am never somewhere long enough to have time to acutally watch a whole movie. And they are like 2 Gb which is a waste of space[/QUOTE]

well UV can be streamed to pc, mac, android, idevices, Roku, google tv, and i believe windows phones. And soon hopefully, ps3. That is a hell of a lot more devices than itunes, which makes the fact that it not only streams (not taking up space on my hard drive like itunes files do) and plays on more devices much less restrictive and more accessible to more people.

I used one itunes DC and hated that it kept the 1.2 gig file on my hard drive taking space and that I could ONLY watch it on my pc. I actually use DC codes now. On top of that, studios like paramount will allow you to get a UV code on TOP of a code to either Vudu, Itunes, Amazon, or Cinema Now.

I should not be forced to let my DC's expire (that are likely built into the price) because I don't use i-devices

And one more reason, the code is completely digital so no UV code needs a disc, thus saving a slot in the case for that useless disc (some at least build it into the dvd) and hopefully lowering the price of the media a bit since they don't have to include that dvd that is useless after you use the code.

Obviously, i think that UV is unjustly vilified because people are afraid of change or have to be cool with their itunes copies.

[quote name='dmdragon']
I should not be forced to let my DC's expire (that are likely built into the price) because I don't use i-devices[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect. In fact, contrary to what you believe, only the Windows Media Player copy actually "expires". The iTunes copy does not.

[quote name='dmdragon']Obviously, i think that UV is unjustly vilified because people are afraid of change or have to be cool with their itunes copies.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

[quote name='dualedge2']This is incorrect. In fact, contrary to what you believe, only the Windows Media Player copy actually "expires". The iTunes copy does not.[/QUOTE]

And that matters how? I still don't use itunes because I have nothing aside from my pc that can play the movies, and they still take up space.

There going to try and Double -dip on this site when the other ones come out in 3D

I thought OotP was supposed to have close to an hour of deleted scenes? That fucking better be on there,but I don't see extended edition listed beside OotP.

I hope they release an Ultimate Edition Bundle without the fancy case for around $200 (making the movies $25 each).

[quote name='dmdragon']Exactly, if he had said "But why include digital copies" then I would agree, but he sounds like he's complaining about UV. I personally like UV, it makes the digital copies easier to watch for someone who doesn't like to watch them on their computer or have an I device.[/QUOTE]

I was complaining about UV. I'm used to DC...input the code, download the movie, transfer to my iPhone and I'm ready to watch the movie anywhere, anytime. But...it is a big file size and my iPhone doesn't have that much memory so I have to be really selective about what I want to take with me.

I haven't really tried UV other than the UV copy I got from the new Green Latern movie. Don't know much about it and since I'm used to the relative easiness of DC but I guess I should try to learn more about UVs before throwing them under the bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK OK OK I'm a huge Potter fan and even at 350 I'm tempted, but I don't know. I like the case and all the fun stuff. However, I would pay 200.

[quote name='dualedge2']This is incorrect. In fact, contrary to what you believe, only the Windows Media Player copy actually "expires". The iTunes copy does not.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to iTunes DCs in general or the Harry Potter ones? I know the Watchmen DC expired for all platforms.

Guess im a sucker went ahead and reordered expecting the price to go down about 75-100the before release date and probably another 50was a week after it ships

[quote name='foreverjoe20']I was complaining about UV. I'm used to DC...input the code, download the movie, transfer to my iPhone and I'm ready to watch the movie anywhere, anytime. But...it is a big file size and my iPhone doesn't have that much memory so I have to be really selective about what I want to take with me.

I haven't really tried UV other than the UV copy I got from the new Green Latern movie. Don't know much about it and since I'm used to the relative easiness of DC but I guess I should try to learn more about UVs before throwing them under the bus.[/QUOTE]

My suggestion then, since you already have a movie, is to get the flixster app for iphone and stream it there. See if you like it, if you do then you win as streaming won't take up any space on your phone and you can watch as long as you have 3g.

And you do get massive respect from me that you didn't just continue to trash it and admitted that you really didn't know much about it and would give it a shot first. So many people out there that aren't as open minded :applause:

[quote name='cheapbastard']Yeah, high rollers only please.[/QUOTE]

10.13.09-They-See-Me-Rollin-They-Hatin.jpg

[quote name='merchie89']I personally have never used a digital copy, I am never somewhere long enough to have time to acutally watch a whole movie. And they are like 2 Gb which is a waste of space[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I usually lend them to my sister and her husband, and let them redeem the digital copies, if they haven't expired.

[quote name='thehoweller']CAG...And we're all looking at a $350 HP boxset. Something's fucking wrong.[/QUOTE]

looking!=buying

I can pretty much guarantee there will be cheaper sets available. This is just the premium one. There will likely be a Blu-ray only set in more standard (but probably still large) packaging having in my estimate about 21 discs and retailing for around $199 or less.

250 is my cap unless it comes with a working invisibility cloak. I was also waiting but might just get the UE's instead.

I thought WB was supposed to be doing the whole Disney Vault thing with these movies at the beginning of this year, or did they realize what a dumb idea that was?

[quote name='Zerok']I thought WB was supposed to be doing the whole Disney Vault thing with these movies at the beginning of this year, or did they realize what a dumb idea that was?[/QUOTE]

You see a release date? These aren't coming out till the end of the year at the earliest I imagine

[quote name='ssjmichael']You see a release date? These aren't coming out till the end of the year at the earliest I imagine[/QUOTE]

I can hear it now..

" THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE EPIC SAGA ON BLU-RAY AND DVD "

[quote name='ssjmichael']You see a release date? These aren't coming out till the end of the year at the earliest I imagine[/QUOTE]

They will be here just in time for Christmas. Seems im one of the few here is a big enough fan to pay 350$ for this out the gate. I imagine the price will drop around 80$ though before the set actually comes out. Still this is the set I've been waiting for though haven't bought a single movie DVD or Bluray as I figured something like this would happen since the first movie... all those years ago.

Prime Focus is supposed to be converting Harry Potter 5 & 6 into 3D. I wonder if they're going to forgo that for this release and then come NEXT year, we'll have an UBER-Release with either an additional 2 or more HP films converted to 3D? Haven't heard much about that though in the last year. Wonder if it's still in the cards?

[quote name='movie_mike']Prime Focus is supposed to be converting Harry Potter 5 & 6 into 3D. I wonder if they're going to forgo that for this release and then come NEXT year, we'll have an UBER-Release with either an additional 2 or more HP films converted to 3D? Haven't heard much about that though in the last year. Wonder if it's still in the cards?[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they will be releasing them in 3D for theaters as well. Id honestly prefer that since I dont have a 3D tv ATM.

It'd be weird just to put the 5th movie in 3D in theatres all of a sudden so I wouldn't count on that. Why aren't the earlier ones being converted too? It would make more sense if they went the Star Wars route and made each one 3D and released them in theaters one after the other.

if the conversions are anything like the last 2 then forget that. I tried watching both in 3d and within 5 minutes on each I just switched it to 2d. They were that bad.

Some updates:

New picture showing off more stuff included (I'll update this if I find a larger one). Among other things it looks like there's a bunch of lithos, 2 maps, a hardcover book, a certificate of authenticity

hpwizards.jpg

Possible release date: September 11th

Possibly Good news: The set will be region free on Amazon UK. They often have things much cheaper than the US (like the barebones HP 8-film set). At the same time, many of the discs are DVD's so those will be in PAL format.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back