gamestop clearancing out ps2 new to used conversion YMMV

gauu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
i went into my local gamestop yesterday and walked out with gutted but still sealed new copies of mana khemia 1 and 2. the boxes are demolised but the rest is minty. cant complain for paying used price. i didnt see a single new ps2 game at my gamestop so im going to assume either its store wide or its just my local gamestops doing it.

I was in my local gamestop 3 days ago and they still had at least 30 new PS2 games there. It was in Zephyrhills, FL.

[quote name='gauu']i went into my local gamestop yesterday and walked out with gutted but still sealed new copies of mana khemia 1 and 2. the boxes are demolised but the rest is minty. cant complain for paying used price. i didnt see a single new ps2 game at my gamestop so im going to assume either its store wide or its just my local gamestops doing it.[/QUOTE]

This has been going on for awhile, there is a thread dedicated to it. But thanks for the heads up, I was wondering if this was still ongoing. I've been mulling over going to try and get a PS2 since my is pretty well shot and since my 60GB died I can't play them on my new slim PS3.

sorry i shouldve clarified in the topic this is for games. i know theres a topic for the ps2 SYSTEM conversions but this is in reference to games. i didnt see a single topic talking about games to look for with the conversion etc..

[quote name='icarusmight']How is it that you got games that were gutted AND still sealed? You lost me right there.[/QUOTE]
gutted as in they opened up the actually cardboard collectors box and put all the contents in the drawer but did not open the game inside the box. aka a gutted collectors boxset =P

havent you guys seen the flimsy cardboard outer boxes that ps2,and some psp games comes in. gamestop guts the boxsets, puts all the sealed game and other goody contents in their game drawers and tosses the barren cardboard box on the display wall. the cardboard box is smushed, ripped etc.. that i got but the contents are new hence what i wrote.

So I take it your store, original poster, converted all of their new ps2 games to used. I hope my store doesn't throw away the cases/manuals when a game is converted from that $10-$60 new price to a $5 or less used price.

yah i know the two stores by me(only ones ive checked so far) have converted all stock. sadly most of the good games are gone but i saw the boxsets and couldnt pass up a free soundtrack to one of my favorite series.

Hmmm this is worth checking for me. My local GS recently had a ton of "new" PS2 games at ridiculous prices still so if they're used now they'd actually be worth picking up. I'll have to stop by.

let me know what you find out sabanoo. im curious if this is just my stores or storewide the new to used on games conversion.

I thought normally when they did this store-wide the "new" items would either disappear from the website completely or show as out of stock everywhere. Can't decide if I want to bother going out to check or not...

[quote name='Justin42']This is a repost and has been going on for well over a month; not trolling but basically saying it was YMMV a month ago and probably pretty much dead now, barring a few stores here and there.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313874[/QUOTE]

I think the OP was referring to PS2 games. Where as the link posted is for the system itself.

Thanks for the heads up OP. my local GS had sealed "used" ps2 games but they were relatively recent games like madden 11

Anyone else tried it recently? I tried a couple during the last b2g1 (excluding 28/29 of feb.) and it didn't work for me.

Do you figure the "new" barcodes automatically register as used or do they need to change all the price tags? The ones I was in the 29th still had "new" price tags on games.

itd be a nice deal if their used RPGs for PS2 werent still $30+ Seriously.. digital devil saga 1 and 2 was STILL $40 used. i'd pay it new, not used. and only if it was original cardboard box over case DDS and not just game case DDS

hehe whats up iatcg =). anyhow i guess we can close this as i checked another gamestop today on my way to work and their new games are still new price for ps2. although non of them were boxsets. the only thing i can think of is that they started to clearance out collectors boxsets or just mana khemia 1 and 2 got marked from new to used finally.

Pretty much all "new" PS2 games at GameStop are high priced ($20+) so making them used doesn't knock much off sadly. I'm surprised the original Kingdom Hearts is still $19.99/$17.99, then you got the Fatal Frame games at bloody $30 each.

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']itd be a nice deal if their used RPGs for PS2 werent still $30+ Seriously.. digital devil saga 1 and 2 was STILL $40 used. i'd pay it new, not used. and only if it was original cardboard box over case DDS and not just game case DDS[/QUOTE]

DDS 1 and 2 are coming to Europe PSN, so there's hope for a US release. I still have my sealed copies in my collection along with Nocturne.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Pretty much all "new" PS2 games at GameStop are high priced ($20+) so making them used doesn't knock much off sadly. I'm surprised the original Kingdom Hearts is still $19.99/$17.99, then you got the Fatal Frame games at bloody $30 each.[/QUOTE]

If (when) they did the switch, they all become the used price (at least that's how it was with xbox games).

Though you did quote 2 games that are super-overpriced, used, at gamestop.

yea i have nocturne but never got DDS 1 or 2 and Stella deus because stores like gamestop would sell those for the ebay prices of like $40+ used. Maybe thats why the Game Crazy store i worked at closed... cuz we sold games at normal prices based on their age. so Capcom vs SNK2 was like $10-15, and if we HAD DDS or nocturne they were also like $15-20. Hell i got MvC2 for PS2 when it was $30 used. THEN i got another one, mint super clean condition for $15, and flipped my crappy looking one for $65 on ebay. lol THe game played perfect still though, the disc just didnt look great due to being put in a CD buffer but i fixed it initially so i bought it after. good times.

But friggin gamestop goes nuts. selling Resident evil 2, 3 and CV for gamecube for like $40 used, same as ebays price for new ones at the time. I waited for GS buy 2 get 1 and got RE2 and 3 and some other game plus my power up card or whatever it was called back then. i love gettin good deals on games, sadly many are long gone since stores dont carry old stuff, and those that do have wised up to ebay and charge WAY too much.

Ever goto a carnival or something and they have a classic game booth? good luck, they charge RIDICULOUS prices because idiots see old games and think $30 is worth it for a game because its old...

[quote name='MasterSun1']DDS 1 and 2 are coming to Europe PSN, so there's hope for a US release. I still have my sealed copies in my collection along with Nocturne.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind if these were released in the US as PS2 Classics for $9.99 a piece. Of course, I'd wait for a sale since I have a backlog and a limited amount of hard drive space. :cool:

(Probably should consider upgrading my stock 160 GB to something higher, what's the highest capacity for a PS3 hard drive these days? Figured it was 500-750 GB, least affordable ones.)

bread's done
Back