Mass Effect 3 - Out Now with Full Game Trial for Plus! Multiplayer Acksun!

Mad39er

CAGiversary!
I'm going to just steal a bunch of links and formatting from the 360 ME3 thread. There is little to no hype about this on the PS3 side but having played the demo, especially the multiplayer portion, I'm extremely excited for this game.

1 Hour ME3 Full Game Trial - PS Plus
A full 1 hour game trial is available for Plus subscribers, it's a 1 hour trial of the full game. Highly encourage anybody who is iffy and a Plus subscriber to give it a shot. The multiplayer alone is awesome. Should be live with the 3/6 Store update.

Fall of Earth Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvrN6JijuU

Take Back the Earth Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBktyyaV9LY

Special Forces(Multiplayer) Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u560s3QAls

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be picking it up release day and got the collectors edition. Haven't touched the multiplayer but I am really interested. Hope to see some of you on

The "no hype" goes back to the fact that it originally only came out on the 360 & PC. With being able to carry over the stuff from one game to the next, it makes sense to keep playing it on the same platform.

With that said, think I need to go play ME2 before moving to the ME3 story line. I may get it, but as you said, it would be multiplayer only.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I'm still worried about the 20fps average that's present in the PS3 version of the demo.[/QUOTE]

Multiplayer runs seamlessly. The framerate drop only occurs in SP, in both console versions.

Played ME1 & 2 on the 360, and am kinda burned out on ME, but def want to Eventually get this when it hits PSN in a bundled format like ME2 collection. Couldn't care less about the MP part, so even if I have to wait a year or so to snag the bundle for under $30 it'll be worth waiting for.

I'm going to pick this up for sub $20 in the holiday Steam sales. I tried the PS3 demo and it just felt like a step back from ME2. The shooting felt weaker, resembling ME1 again, so I can wait .

After the bad taste that Skyrim on PS3 left in my mouth I'm not in the mood for another poorly optimized PS3 version and, apparently, the disc swapping on the 360 version is pretty damned annoying (people are saying multiple swaps just within the first few hours simply because of the way in which the game is structured or rather how the user chooses to play...and also apparently once you start a mission/whatever which requires a disc swap there's no way to back-out).

So if the PS3 version has a crap framerate and the 360 version has disc swapping so prevalent that users intend to wait for guides to minimize it and the PC version is reliant upon Origin and has no pad support...well all of that bullshit coupled with the gross DLC stuff is really making me want to wait for a deep discount like I did with 2 (I snagged the PSN version for like $10).

I'm really not trying to shit on ME3 but BioWare and EA are making it difficult not to.:wall:

[quote name='praxus07']Played ME1 & 2 on the 360, and am kinda burned out on ME, but def want to Eventually get this when it hits PSN in a bundled format like ME2 collection. Couldn't care less about the MP part, so even if I have to wait a year or so to snag the bundle for under $30 it'll be worth waiting for.[/QUOTE]I don't think you'll see a bundle like ME2 was on the PS3, a year literally passed from ME2 releasing on the 360 to the PS3 getting ME2, so with all the DLC finished, it was only smart to make ME2 more approachable from the PS3 gamer side to throw all that in.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm going to pick this up for sub $20 in the holiday Steam sales. I tried the PS3 demo and it just felt like a step back from ME2. The shooting felt weaker, resembling ME1 again, so I can wait .[/QUOTE]It's not that the shooting is weaker, though technically it is. They upped the difficulty across the board where the new Normal is equivalent to Veteran. I actually feel the opposite that ME3 is a nice step forward, combat got harder and more real than simply popping up from cover, shoot, duck back under, rinse repeat. I think ME3 is going to be more visceral and fun, I mean clearly the game flat out says you are in WAY over your head, it's only natural for it to reflect that.

I meant "weaker" as in not as much umph in the gunplay. Compare the first fire fights of ME2 to the ME3 demo, and you'll notice how much meatier ME2 feels by comparison.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I meant "weaker" as in not as much umph in the gunplay. Compare the first fire fights of ME2 to the ME3 demo, and you'll notice how much meatier ME2 feels by comparison.[/QUOTE]
Meatier? Umph factor? Did you play the MP portion? The SP part of the demo is very linear and it's hard to get creative, the MP portion really opens up. The meat and potatoes are in the MP portion, the SP side is not really a good representation because you only really "play" in two linear areas, the MP portion throws you on two big maps with 3 different difficulties available(Bronze/Silver/Gold) and a lot more freedom to get a better feel for the game with an ME2 style ability/power set. Servers shut down tomorrow if you want to give it a try.

I'm talking strictly about feel of gunplay, lol. The gratification is lacking to me when I pull the trigger in ME3, and that sense of power is important for shooters to nail down. Enemies don't animate as well to bullet stoppage power, the sound doesn't seem as deep, and overall it just felt a bit fake compared to the grit of ME2.

It's not game changing for most people, but it was something immediately noticeable to me. I'm sure the overall game will be more than solid, and the MP looked good. It's just a shame the gunplay feels a bit wishy washy.

I was going to pick this up at launch, but I just got ME2 from Best Buy for $5. I figured I can play through it a second time with a different character, get my fix, and pick up 3 when it's cheaper and the DLC situation is a bit more clear.

Just played the single player portion of the demo. (played the MP a while ago)
Went and ordered the Collector's Edition from Target.
I am a horrible person. (In that I just spent $80 on a game when I have Uncharted 3 unplayed and haven't touched my $100 version of MW3 in weeks)

IF it actually ships, count me the eff in for multiplayer. That was awesome.

I didn't have a chance to check out the MP portion of the demo, but I'm definitely down for some CAG ME3 action. I'm (hopefully) going to be able to pick up a CE tonight at a midnight release.

Feel free to add me (Dark Trooper 87)

Holy shit. Mass Effect 3 gets a full game trial for PSN+ users tomorrow after the update. Great way to try it all out now that the demo servers are down.

[quote name='jmbreci']The "no hype" goes back to the fact that it originally only came out on the 360 & PC. With being able to carry over the stuff from one game to the next, it makes sense to keep playing it on the same platform.
[/QUOTE]

Yep. But I switched to PS3 after losing my saves after ditching my 360 during a hacking fiasco (see blog). I finished re-creating my main playthrough on PS3 a couple of weeks ago, so I'm pretty stoked for ME3.

Probably won't fire it up until the weekend though when I can set aside a nice chunk of time to delve into it.

Went to BB this morning as they opened. Didn't see any of the collector's edition at the table in front, went to games and some guy is smirking because he got the last (only) 360 version they had. Went to the cart and grabbed the only ps3 edition they had. Also, no skylanders.

Picked up my CE at Gamestop this morning. Played a bit of the MP, but still can't find a class I like. I'll start up the campaign sometime this week since I still want to finish the Arrival DLC in ME2 (I hear ME3 starts right after the end of Arrival).

has anyone tried to download the soundtrack yet? I'm having trouble getting the EA/Origin/Bioware social site to recognize me as an owner of the special edition...

Got my copy from Amazon today. Need to run through ME2 quickly.....yeah, right after I finish U3 and platinum Borderlands (lv 50 only thing left). Damn you life for getting in the way! :D

I may be coerced into some ME3 multiplayer though.

Mad - nice pic. You know what I mean.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Picked up my CE at Gamestop this morning. Played a bit of the MP, but still can't find a class I like. I'll start up the campaign sometime this week since I still want to finish the Arrival DLC in ME2 (I hear ME3 starts right after the end of Arrival).[/QUOTE]I started out Infiltrator, they get Cryo Blast which freezes unprotected enemies and you can just headshot them at your leisure. My Starter pack netted me an Asari Vanguard(go figure) that I want to toy with, she looks mean. The hard part is more figuring out what power up bonuses and how to spec your character. Like my Infiltrator(FemHuman) doesn't have any Power damage, so speccing Power plus stuff does nothing. If she had Incinerate(like the Quarian) then I'd consider speccing power over weapons.

[quote name='jmbreci']Got my copy from Amazon today. Need to run through ME2 quickly.....yeah, right after I finish U3 and platinum Borderlands (lv 50 only thing left). Damn you life for getting in the way! :D

I may be coerced into some ME3 multiplayer though.

Mad - nice pic. You know what I mean.[/QUOTE]
I'm just playing the multiplayer, I started up ME2 way too late to catch up to ME3's singleplayer campaign. I have no problems enjoying the multi though, it's awesome and tough.

Just got done running my Quarian Infiltrator on a Geth map on Bronze. Oh my god. Actually completed all 11 waves with 3 people total, just using a sniper rifle and Sabotage to hack every single Geth, that skill is so overpowered against the Geth it's not even funny, completely awesome. Love this game.

Got my copy last night and put it in incase it had a long install like ME2 (it didn't) and downloaded the update and the From Ashes DLC.

All set to hopefully put some major time into it this weekend.

sorry Mad, that last fail was on me. Shoulda let you bleed out more instead of running in to revive...

After experimenting with most of the classes, I'm liking Adept the best. Paired with a pistol and scoped smg helps the powers recharge fast. +I love the lack of kickback on the pistol.

[quote name='langdon_alger']sorry Mad, that last fail was on me. Shoulda let you bleed out more instead of running in to revive...

After experimenting with most of the classes, I'm liking Adept the best. Paired with a pistol and scoped smg helps the powers recharge fast. +I love the lack of kickback on the pistol.[/QUOTE]
NP. I don't expect miracles with randoms. Best bet is to stay around people like you did, honestly it's hard to play a Vanguard because they take so much managing. I'm glad you got to play through a round vs the Geth with my Quarian, that was very easy compared to fighting Repears.

In terms of guns you start with, the only two that are good are the M3 Predator and the sniper rifle(to some extent). The M3 just gets better and better the more you use it and it kills pretty fast with headshots, plus it gets a damage modification too.

I already know I screwed up my Asari Vanguard to some extent, I shouldn't have put in points for Lift Grenade but at least I picked up my first Spectre pack and got a Gold Disciple shotgun that'll make life easier for my Vanguards.

I wish the game showed differently in my friends list, shadow, I saw that you were playing, but all it says is 'Mass Effect 3'. It should denote whether you are playing single or multi. I don't want to interrupt someone's single player game.

[quote name='langdon_alger']I wish the game showed differently in my friends list, shadow, I saw that you were playing, but all it says is 'Mass Effect 3'. It should denote whether you are playing single or multi. I don't want to interrupt someone's single player game.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing. I saw a few of my friends playing it but it didn't specify anything so I figured they were all paying single. Maybe they'll patch it because that's pretty dumb given all the FPS games even tell you what mode/map your friends are on

The N7 ratings are vague but they do make a world of difference, when I was playing with a bunch of noobs I didn't notice they all had low ratings so we never survived Wave 10 because of that, looked at the ratings and they were all below 10. Played another match where it was better held together and most people had a rating above 20.

The one thing I do notice is people tend to get caught up in the last Wave killing enemies. Lost three Full Extraction bonuses because somebody(usually a Vanguard) had to be out killing people which is 15k points, a partial extraction it's only 5k points which is what you get when all but one team member is not in the extraction site. I've been guilty of it myself a few times, but it's so frustrating to know it's easy points thrown away.

On an unrelated note, Lift Grenades for my Asari Vanguard are awesome. Stasis seems to be the sucky Vanguard skill though. Skipped the Sticky Grenades on my Quarian Infiltrator though for all other maxed out skills.

can you max out all stats on a character? or is there a limit/cap?

I'm 3-bar on everything for my Adept, don't know if I have to focus on a few skills or if there's a chance I can max all of them.

[quote name='langdon_alger']can you max out all stats on a character? or is there a limit/cap?

I'm 3-bar on everything for my Adept, don't know if I have to focus on a few skills or if there's a chance I can max all of them.[/QUOTE]
Level 20 is the max with 83 points to spend where you want them(84 total), so it means some skills won't get maxed. If you ignore one set of powers you can max out all of the others at that expense or come to some kind of mix and balance however you want it. Weigh what you want but don't be scared if you screw up, once you hit L20 you can "Promote" that character and reset to L1 for that class to try it again. I don't know what effect it has on the game though other than resetting your class stuff.

I suggest using a Human if you're not sure about your Class build, since you have another spare Human to make "right". With me I'm going to Promote my Asari Vanguard and skip Stasis for the most part, I never use it and I can't redo her until L20.

[quote name='shadowkast']Add me for some multi. I see myself putting more time into the multi than I would have ever guessed[/QUOTE]
I've been getting a lot of friend requests from random ME3 people(non-CAGs), didn't realize you were one of them until I read the message after I declined. Sent you a FR.

Think I might try and jump into the multiplayer this weekend. Any tips for someone jumping in now that some of you have your feet wet?

[quote name='4thHorseman']Think I might try and jump into the multiplayer this weekend. Any tips for someone jumping in now that some of you have your feet wet?[/QUOTE]Try everything you want to try as a Human, gain your levels as a Human class so you don't accidentally screw up an unlocked class you can't redo until you hit L20. You have 2 Human slots for every class, use their variety to figure out what you like in each one.

Specialize early on, I can't stress that enough. Pick a skill you know you're going to use the full way through and max it out first.

For Human Infiltrators that means maxing out Cryo Blast quickly to make killing easier. If you Spec weapons on a Human Infiltrator with Cryo Blast you can OHK pretty much everything with a headshot except the harder armored targets(Brutes, Geth Prime, Banshee).

If you play a Vanguard skip Shockwave/Stasis as skills, you're not a ranged attacker and Shockwave and Stasis just give you cooldown times that prevent you from replenishing your barrier(Biotic Charge). Shockwave can Detonate Warp but it's not worth it when you Charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova a lot quicker. If you happen to get the Asari Vanguard Spec Biotic Charge as usual and Lift Grenades. 3 Lift Grenades can kill stupid amounts of enemies in close quarters. Vanguards spec Power and Force across the board, weapons bonuses aren't necessary. Power and Force Bonuses also come with a Weight bonus too. Keep the Vanguard light for fast recharges, it's a crackhead nuke class that means you will be pissing off your teammates and at the same time earning their respect if you stay alive/pull off insane stunts against the tougher bosses.

No idea on any of the other classes, I'm just unlocking their training to get the free levels and I'll try everything I can on the Human side before I decide.

[quote name='langdon_alger']I can personally vouch for shadow-he's my cheeser neighbor.[/QUOTE]
Dude you have no idea. Every time I start rocking this game, I get like 2-3 friend requests and I only want to keep it strictly to CAGs. My N7 score is like 88 or so, so that put me top 230 globally last night. Play a monstrous Vanguard(Asari or Human) and need to redo my Infiltrator class since I promoted my old Vanguard and Infiltrator classes for 10 extra N7 points each.

I'm looking forward to getting my Infiltrator back up there because my Quarian with the Mantis, fully bonused for the sniper rifle does extreme damage to the Geth Primes with headshots. Like 4-5 headshots for a kill. Even grinding Silver Geth challenges isn't bad with a single Quarian Infiltrator, as long as people keep their distance.

I can solo a Banshee with any Vanguard, the hard part is staying out of their instant death-grab-kill, usually they'll get me right before they die. Can definitely solo everything else to some extent or another, I get such a kick watching people plink away at Brutes and Banshee and I just light them up. I actually had people trying to kick me because I was playing a Vanguard, I outscored all of them combined and that was the end of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be on from around 7pm Central until around 8:30 playing ME3 multiplayer. Send me a psn message if you'd like an invite.

(I can finally put some serious time into this game. Finished my Chicago Fire preview, finished Game of Thrones Book 5 last night, working slowly thru season 1 blu ray.)

[quote name='jmbreci']Mad - send me an invite tonight or I will fly out and hunt you down. ;)[/QUOTE]
LOL, I didn't even see this until just now but we had an awesome run even after you left. Hito, Langdon and myself along with a random did a bunch of maps. It all went pretty smoothly, I think we could have grinded Silver Geth maps and been alright because the Bronze challenges were just too damned easy aside from the beginning where everybody was figuring things out.

Was great playing with you guys again, I could sit back and relax with the sniper rifle to some extent which was a relief, I watched as my damage numbers jumped every time I leveled up. Everybody helped and the communication was great.

Mad- What changes with the Silver & Gold challenges?

agreed, the bronzes where getting easy. As long as you communicate, stay relatively close to each other and don't get flanked/cornered.

[quote name='langdon_alger']Mad- What changes with the Silver & Gold challenges?

agreed, the bronzes where getting easy. As long as you communicate, stay relatively close to each other and don't get flanked/cornered.[/QUOTE]
Basically when going from Bronze to Silver...

1. More enemies, higher ranked ones come out earlier. More "Mid-Boss" and "Boss" types per wave. Towards the end I was seeing 6-8 Geth Primes when doing Silver Geth with randoms.
  2. Triple rewards, I think it's 45-50k Credits for completing Silver.
  3. All health is not restored at the end of the wave, only 3 bars are. So if you're at 1 bar, you start the next with 4 instead of 5.
  4. The High Priority Targets are all "Boss" enemies.
As for Gold, I've read it's basically twice as hard as Silver and with double the Silver rewards, so 85k Credits with the last wave giving 45k alone.

It was fun. I think come that last match I was able to play that I really started to figure things out - well, and I had incinerate maxed out at that time. I think the only frustrating thing for me is sometimes I get lost trying to track everything. The grenades, those damn phantoms, and the geth primes. I vividly remember trying to bleed out once after either Langdon or Hito said "Evil - there is one behind you!" Yes there was, along with the one in front of me and the grenade at my feet that I missed coming in. :)

I do agree with Mad on focusing in on one skill. Learned that with the Engineer. Need to figure out what character design I am going to start with next.

[quote name='jmbreci']It was fun. I think come that last match I was able to play that I really started to figure things out - well, and I had incinerate maxed out at that time. I think the only frustrating thing for me is sometimes I get lost trying to track everything. The grenades, those damn phantoms, and the geth primes. I vividly remember trying to bleed out once after either Langdon or Hito said "Evil - there is one behind you!" Yes there was, along with the one in front of me and the grenade at my feet that I missed coming in. :)

I do agree with Mad on focusing in on one skill. Learned that with the Engineer. Need to figure out what character design I am going to start with next.[/QUOTE]

You guys came together like old Pros after figuring out the controls. Very little direction required and you all just got it. I much prefer that way, hate the competitive way CoD makes people feel bad if they under perform. Don't have to be a star, just level headed.

I'll be on after 7 EST if anybody is game.

bread's done
Back