New iPad announced, iPad 2 dropping to $399 (16gb wifi)

As nice as the retina screen looks, I still think I'm going to hold out another year. My iPad 1 works just fine and I use it every day. There isn't anything compelling to me which makes me have to upgrade. Sure looks pretty though...

Yeah, I'm sticking with my iPad 2.

The new screen will look awesome for sure, but I mainly use my iPad for simple stuff like reading PDFs or research articles, reading newspaper apps, surfing the net, checking e-mail and so on. I don't do much gaming or video watching on it, so just not enough incentive to upgrade as I don't have a pressing need for the retina screen or more powerful processor.

Don't care about the new camera's either as I only use it for Skype/Facetime and connection speeds make having a better camera moot as well. 4G is moot for me as I don't need that in my tablet as I don't carry it everywhere like I do my phone, so Wifi only is fine for my uses (home and office primarily).

I read battery life for the new ipad on 4g is 9 hours (vs 10 standard)?
That small dropoff is insane. Android phones in 4g devour batteries, power efficiency is the one area I really wish they were better at.

yeah - I use it mainly for Flipboard, reading comics and surfing the net. I do pretty much no gaming on it although I have a few but they are simple and don't require much processing power (Cut the Rope, Spy Mouse, Fairway Solitaire, etc.). I'd never play something like Dead Space on it.

Trying to find a way to drop the price of the 32GB by $100. I've got a $25 GC for Best Buy, but I'll only get $10 back in RZ credit for buying. Anyone?

Ordered a 64GB 4G along with AppleCare+. Went with Verizon after comparing their LTE coverage map to AT&T. I've used AppleCare for my iPad 1 when the screen grew a weird backlight bleeding spot about a year after purchase. They immediately swapped my year old iPad for a brand new one, so I think AppleCare is well worth the money.

Really looking forward to reading digital manga on retina display. Will also be nice to play games without crashing... even Where's My Water can cause my iPad 1 problems, let alone anything really pretty like IB2.

[quote name='lilman']Ordered a 64GB 4G along with AppleCare+. Went with Verizon after comparing their LTE coverage map to AT&T. I've used AppleCare for my iPad 1 when the screen grew a weird backlight bleeding spot about a year after purchase. They immediately swapped my year old iPad for a brand new one, so I think AppleCare is well worth the money.

Really looking forward to reading digital manga on retina display. Will also be nice to play games without crashing... even Where's My Water can cause my iPad 1 problems, let alone anything really pretty like IB2.[/QUOTE]

I hate to break it to you, but AppleCare is not as great as you'd think. My ex's iPad 2 had wireless issues after about 6 months or so (would connect to an access point for a moment, and then drop) and we brought it to an Apple Store. I'm in IT so I can speak the language they were looking for. The guy tested it, wiped it clean, tested it again, and said, "Yep, it's defective." He reached back in a cabinet behind him, grabbed a brand new one, and handed to us. No Apple Care or anything. The old school district that I worked for had all Apple products. We had warranties on everything, but once the warranties ran out on old Macbooks, we thought we were screwed. Not even a little bit. We would take out of warranty broken Macbooks, and they would fix them with new hard drives, top cases, CD drives, you name it. Apple really is an amazing customer service company. It's one of the reasons I've been a loyal Apple supporter for the last 6 years or so.

So, AppleCare is a great "put-my-mind-at-ease" deal, but it's not worth it because of how awesome Apple is as a company.

[quote name='Pck21']I hate to break it to you, but AppleCare is not as great as you'd think. My ex's iPad 2 had wireless issues after about 6 months or so (would connect to an access point for a moment, and then drop) and we brought it to an Apple Store. I'm in IT so I can speak the language they were looking for. The guy tested it, wiped it clean, tested it again, and said, "Yep, it's defective." He reached back in a cabinet behind him, grabbed a brand new one, and handed to us. No Apple Care or anything.

So, AppleCare is a great "put-my-mind-at-ease" deal, but it's not worth it because of how awesome Apple is as a company.[/QUOTE]
All Apple hardware includes 1yr AppleCare, so your ex was still under coverage: http://www.apple.com/support/products/
Buying AppleCare separately adds another year to that warranty. With the new AppleCare+ you also get accident coverage (not a big deal for me, but I can see that being useful if you let kids play with your iPad).

[quote name='Pck21']The old school district that I worked for had all Apple products. We had warranties on everything, but once the warranties ran out on old Macbooks, we thought we were screwed. Not even a little bit. We would take out of warranty broken Macbooks, and they would fix them with new hard drives, top cases, CD drives, you name it. Apple really is an amazing customer service company. It's one of the reasons I've been a loyal Apple supporter for the last 6 years or so.[/QUOTE]
Very true. Apple customer service is awesome and they may help you even when you are out of warranty, but it's not guaranteed.

-Edit-
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to buy your iPad (and any other electronic) using American Express since they will extend your product's default warranty by one year. You just file a claim with AmEx and they will reimburse you the cost of repair. It's not as nice as AppleCare since that allows you to just walk into an Apple store and walk out with replaced hardware, but it's better than nothing and is a free service of AmEx.

Reading is one area where the retina display would offer a big improvement, though. For one thing it should be usable in portrait now, whereas trying to read web pages in portrait on an iPad 2 is a zooming in an out effort and not worth the trouble. Text will look super sharp like on the iPhone 4/4s. So, yeah, that new display is awesome... but I'm going to try to hold off and stick with my iPad 2. It's not like I really need to be buying a new iPad every year. LOL.

Trying to decide on WiFi or 4G w/ WiFi. I was hoping they would reduce the price a bit. It's that extra $120 that makes the difference.

I've never been in a situation with my iPad where I couldn't connect to wifi... if I'm in the car I'm usually the one driving. Pretty much everywhere you go has wifi access nowadays... although I guess it could depend on where you live.

[quote name='lilman']
-Edit-
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to buy your iPad (and any other electronic) using American Express since they will extend your product's default warranty by one year. You just file a claim with AmEx and they will reimburse you the cost of repair. It's not as nice as AppleCare since that allows you to just walk into an Apple store and walk out with replaced hardware, but it's better than nothing and is a free service of AmEx.[/QUOTE]

That service isn't only available on Amex. Visa and Mastercard offer the same thing on most of their cards. I have a Visa signature card that offers the same thing and it's a good thing to remember it's free.

If I were to upgrade, I'd definitely get a 4G model, but that's because I use the 3G on my iPad 2 a lot. I commute on train/bus, and there's no wifi on the train. Even if there were, my experience with mobile WiFi on such things is that it's unreliable as all get out. Usually some idiot tries to stream a movie and brings the whole thing crashing down. LOL. But if you don't commute like that, it's probably a lot less useful.

[quote name='lilman']All Apple hardware includes 1yr AppleCare, so your ex was still under coverage: http://www.apple.com/support/products/
Buying AppleCare separately adds another year to that warranty. With the new AppleCare+ you also get accident coverage (not a big deal for me, but I can see that being useful if you let kids play with your iPad).

Very true. Apple customer service is awesome and they may help you even when you are out of warranty, but it's not guaranteed.

-Edit-
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to buy your iPad (and any other electronic) using American Express since they will extend your product's default warranty by one year. You just file a claim with AmEx and they will reimburse you the cost of repair. It's not as nice as AppleCare since that allows you to just walk into an Apple store and walk out with replaced hardware, but it's better than nothing and is a free service of AmEx.[/QUOTE]

All valid points. I totally spaced on the fact that Apple includes 1 year of AppleCare automatically. Doh! Thanks!

[quote name='vlv723']Trying to decide on WiFi or 4G w/ WiFi. I was hoping they would reduce the price a bit. It's that extra $120 that makes the difference.[/QUOTE]

I was in the same boat. I pulled the trigger on 4G version only because I can use it if I'm in a pinch somewhere. I plan on doing some traveling this year, and I'm in an online Graduate class that requires collaboration with my group on a nearly constant basis. So, if I need to email something, work on a Google Doc, etc, I will have that ability on the fly with 4G. It isn't truly necessary for most iPad users.

I order one 64GB wifi only model (white). I have an iPad 2 currently, but why wife (who knew nothing, and I mean nothing, about tech before she met me) loves it to dead and I find myself more than 50% of the time giving it to her. We share just fine, but with her birthday coming up next week, I order the new iPad and that way we can both have one. Its basically buying a new computer, as my laptop is never used at this point. I can do 99% of what I did before on a computer on the iPad, but on my couch instead of a chair.

[quote name='crunchewy']Reading is one area where the retina display would offer a big improvement, though. For one thing it should be usable in portrait now, whereas trying to read web pages in portrait on an iPad 2 is a zooming in an out effort and not worth the trouble. Text will look super sharp like on the iPhone 4/4s. So, yeah, that new display is awesome... but I'm going to try to hold off and stick with my iPad 2. It's not like I really need to be buying a new iPad every year. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the one reason I'm tempted--the sharper text for PDFs and Newspaper apps. E-books too, but I mainly read those on my Kindle 3.

But it's not enough to get me to upgrade now. I'll wait another update or two and get a better screen and whatever other improvements they add down the road.

[quote name='Javery']I've never been in a situation with my iPad where I couldn't connect to wifi... if I'm in the car I'm usually the one driving. Pretty much everywhere you go has wifi access nowadays... although I guess it could depend on where you live.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm much the same. Free wifi is pretty ubiquitous in most major cities with so many restaurants (including fast food places these days), coffee shops, pubs etc. offering it.

Only time it would be handy for me is when at conferences, as the conference hotels usually don't have free wifi in the room, and charge $10-15 a day for it. But most do have free wifi somewhere in the lobby, or you can go across the street to starbucks etc. Some Airports don't have free wifi as well, that's one other time I've had issues.

But I don't care much now that I have the iPhone as I don't generally need internet for anything other than e-mail and looking up directions when traveling.

[quote name='crunchewy']Reading is one area where the retina display would offer a big improvement, though. For one thing it should be usable in portrait now, whereas trying to read web pages in portrait on an iPad 2 is a zooming in an out effort and not worth the trouble. Text will look super sharp like on the iPhone 4/4s. So, yeah, that new display is awesome... but I'm going to try to hold off and stick with my iPad 2. It's not like I really need to be buying a new iPad every year. LOL.[/QUOTE]

This will be my first personal iPad so it's a bit different for me. I was able to use the first one at work (meh), the ex had an iPad 2 (awesome), and I see this as an upgraded iPad 2. I can't really ask for more. I do have one of those fire sale HP Touchpads, but I don't use it as much because of the small app selection. The iPad has so many apps that I could use for school, work, personal, etc that it's stupid for me not to get one while I have the money to do so.

[quote name='vlv723']Trying to decide on WiFi or 4G w/ WiFi. I was hoping they would reduce the price a bit. It's that extra $120 that makes the difference.[/QUOTE]
If you have a phone with a data plan, then I would skip the 4G version. If not, then I would get the 4G version if you:
1) Travel, or
2) Want an Internet device for when your normal Internet service goes out (for example, during a power outage)

If you go 4G, you then have to pick between AT&T and Verizon. AT&T offers 3GB for $30 vs Verizon's 2GB for $30, but Verizon has vastly superior 4G LTE coverage and includes mobile hotspot in its plan at no additional charge. I went with Verizon.

AT&T won't even allow mobile hotspot on the new iPad. They may add it later, but right now they say they don't offer it and are just researching it, or some such words.

If any of you want a very gently used iPad 2 64GB Wifi model, send me a message. I'm selling mine, purchased October 8th of 2011. Still under Applecare until October 8, 2013. Looks like new, complete in retail box, with accessories (screen protector with no bubbles, rear protection plate).

I haven't put it on Craigslist yet, but it will go there this weekend unless I hear from anyone sooner.

[quote name='lilman']If you have a phone with a data plan, then I would skip the 4G version. If not, then I would get the 4G version if you:
1) Travel, or
2) Want an Internet device for when your normal Internet service goes out (for example, during a power outage)

If you go 4G, you then have to pick between AT&T and Verizon. AT&T offers 3GB for $30 vs Verizon's 2GB for $30, but Verizon has vastly superior 4G LTE coverage and includes mobile hotspot in its plan at no additional charge. I went with Verizon.[/QUOTE]

I do occasionally travel for my job. Mostly local but at time will have to be out of state for a couple of days.

My company iPhone 4 does have a hotspot feature and I do plan on getting an iPhone for AT&T if I happen to leave the company in the future unless the iPhone "5" is 4G and would probably go with Verizon if they do that double data promotion once the new iPhone comes out in the summer/fall this year.

I believe that I can use the Apple Store app to buy an iPad since I have a ridiculous balance in my iTunes account.

I'm gonna make a decision by tonight. Thanks for the advice!

I caved and Ordered a 32gb with 4G, I know my fianceé's not going to be happy since she'll think the money could have been used for the wedding, but I got my annual bonus that she doesn't know about so I'll just add the remainder of that to the wedding fund and she'll be off my back :lol:

Gotta admit though, she may have a point that I'm going overboard with the tablets. I've got the first two iPads, a touchpad and a kindle fire. I tell her my goal is to have one for evey room of our new place, ncluding the bathroom :lol:

[quote name='Ed_']I caved and Ordered a 32gb with 4G, I know my fianceé's not going to be happy since she'll think the money could have been used for the wedding, but I got my annual bonus that she doesn't know about so I'll just add the remainder of that to the wedding fund and she'll be off my back :lol:

Gotta admit though, she may have a point that I'm going overboard with the tablets. I've got the first two iPads, a touchpad and a kindle fire. I tell her my goal is to have one for evey room of our new place, ncluding the bathroom :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow...wish I could even afford ONE tablet, let alone five......

I sold my original 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G iPad a few months ago for $400 on Craigslist. I feel a little bad for the poor sap that bought it. :D

Went with a 32GB Wi-Fi this time around. Looking forward to the Retina display. Makes me wonder if I can finally read CAG in portrait mode without zooming in or putting it in landscape.

Thought about getting a 4G model but I have a MacBook Air and an iPhone 4S with iTether so I'm pretty much set for Internet on the go.

I'm thinking about upgrading. I'd just get the 64 Gb Wifi model which is what I've got now since I seldom find myself without wifi.

Dmaul, I would think the clearer text and pdfs would make you a prime candidate to upgrade also. I'm looking forward to seeing how much clearer reading is with the new display, but everything I've seen about it so far indicates it will be a MAJOR improvement.

Oh, and who thought of that name, "the new iPad"? That's got to be the worst product name in history. What will they call next year's model, "the NEW new iPad"? "The newest iPad"? "The new iPad and this time we really mean it!"? :roll:

I don't think the official name is "The new iPad." I believe they are trying to get away with numbers just like their Mac and iPod line. For example, a MacBook Air from 2008 or 2011 is still called a MacBook Air. It is probably the smarter thing to do. Adding numbers to a product line subconsciously makes you feel like you already have an obsolete model as soon as the newest one comes out.

The next iPad will be called iPad, and the advertising will say "The new iPad". Just like this year. At some point later this year, or maybe early next year, they'll stop saying "The new iPad" for this current new one, and will just say "iPad". As far as app requirements, they'll probably start saying iPad (2012), or some such.

I'll bet anything that the next iPhone will be "iPhone" and not "iPhone 5" or whatever.

Probably gonna grab a 32 gig and a 16 for my wife. I think 16 is fine for both but my brother is saying I'll need more. Anyone have opinions?

In my case, the 16GB will work out just fine. The apps I use are usually cloud based, so I don't need a huge amount of space. I have a 16GB iPhone 4S, and I have yet to even come close to filling 8GBs of apps alone.

[quote name='Pck21']In my case, the 16GB will work out just fine. The apps I use are usually cloud based, so I don't need a huge amount of space. I have a 16GB iPhone 4S, and I have yet to even come close to filling 8GBs of apps alone.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat with the phone but my brother still says I should get 32

aside from Apple stores and Radioshack, does anyone know where else I can preorder? I placed my name at a few Radioshacks (one store had several pages filled and another I was fdirst person) and did not even bother wasting my time walking into an Apple store. It doesn't seem like I can preorder from Radioshack online yet.

After years of not caving, my uncle now wants to get the new ipad. What capacity would you guys recommend? I think a wifi only would be fine.

Also what would be the best version to flip if I am able to buy more than one?

[quote name='Pck21']In my case, the 16GB will work out just fine. The apps I use are usually cloud based, so I don't need a huge amount of space. I have a 16GB iPhone 4S, and I have yet to even come close to filling 8GBs of apps alone.[/QUOTE]

I went with a 32GB iPad 2 and haven't even came close to hitting 16gb on it yet so I should have saved the $100 bucks. The only non-app files I put on it are PDFs and those are mostly under 1MB with a few image based ones that are a 2MB-5MB. I don't have any interest in putting music or movies on it. Or photos either really.

However, on my iPhone 4S I went 16GB and wish I'd went 32 there so I could put more of my music on it. Though it's still mostly ok as I just rotate music on and off of it, and just stream Pandora over wifi at work most of the time.

But when I upgrade I'd probably go for a 16GB iPad next time and an 32GB phone.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I went with a 32GB iPad 2 and haven't even came close to hitting 16gb on it yet so I should have saved the $100 bucks. The only non-app files I put on it are PDFs and those are mostly under 1MB with a few image based ones that are a 2MB-5MB. I don't have any interest in putting music or movies on it. Or photos either really.

However, on my iPhone 4S I went 16GB and wish I'd went 32 there so I could put more of my music on it. Though it's still mostly ok as I just rotate music on and off of it, and just stream Pandora over wifi at work most of the time.

But when I upgrade I'd probably go for a 16GB iPad next time and an 32GB phone.[/QUOTE]

You can stream your entire music collection from your computer through Audiogalaxy app. I have no music on my phone but can access every song I have.

[quote name='DestroVega']You can stream your entire music collection from your computer through Audiogalaxy app. I have no music on my phone but can access every song I have.[/QUOTE]

How does this work? Does your computer at home have to be on all the time? I have a laptop that goes to sleep after a while and it interrupts streaming (like when I'm streaming a TV show I downloaded on my computer to my Xbox 360). I like the idea of having all of the music in my iTunes library wherever I go but if I couldn't connect for whatever reason I'd be annoyed. Plus, I'd be worried about going over the 2GB data limit.

I may look into that. Though I don't like leaving my home desktop on all the time.

Also, as Javery notes I wouldn't want to stream over 3G with the data limit, and at work it's moot as I have all my MP3s on my work desktop and can listen that way if need be.

I just sometimes wish I had a certain album on their when I'm out running with my iPhone (use running apps to log distance and pace etc.).

Yeah. Your computer does have to be on.

You could also use the iTunes cloud match and not have your computer on but it would still use data I think.

Having unlimited data allows me to take full advantage of audiogalaxy, thanks to the person who posted about it. Now I have 16gb free on my ip4.

[quote name='DestroVega']Yeah. Your computer does have to be on.

You could also use the iTunes cloud match and not have your computer on but it would still use data I think.[/QUOTE]

Only to download it. Then it's on your iPhone. Or isn't that how it works? To be honest I'm not sure as I don't have ITunes Match.

I don't like the idea of leaving a computer on 24/7 just so I can periodically play music off of it. Seems kind of wasteful. Plus I have always had issues trying to get to my machine at home due I guess to a dynamic IP address. I know there's ways around that, but it seems like a lot of effort, and still I need my computer to be on.

[quote name='crunchewy']Only to download it. Then it's on your iPhone. Or isn't that how it works? To be honest I'm not sure as I don't have ITunes Match.

I don't like the idea of leaving a computer on 24/7 just so I can periodically play music off of it. Seems kind of wasteful. Plus I have always had issues trying to get to my machine at home due I guess to a dynamic IP address. I know there's ways around that, but it seems like a lot of effort, and still I need my computer to be on.[/QUOTE]

I put Audiogalaxy on my phone and I always leave my computer on anyway but I rarely use it cause my iPod is also always with me.

Pre-ordered a 64g wi-fi only, upgrading from an iPad 1 32g w/ 3G. Figured since I have an iPhone 4s and being a teacher, will keep the iPad 1 for my students to use, I didn't really need one with another data plan. I only have the $14.99 plan on my iPad 1 as it is, and never come close to going over 250mb. I'm almost always around hotspots.

Can't wait for Friday!

bread's done
Back