Roku question/s

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm thinking of getting the Roku LT, what is the reason you would need an expandable memory slot? I've never had a Roku so I have no idea of the supposed benefit. Also being a Roku rookie, I've heard there are also private channels. Are any of them any good or just junk? Any good sites with info on them?
Thanks.

Bought my Mom a Roku 2 XD for Christmas, and you need the expansion slot if you download a ton of channels, download any of the games (angry birds), and not really sure what else it might be needed for. The Roku has rather limited memory, and each channel/game uses up that memory.

As far as channels go, most of them were complete crap. I got her the Plex Media private channel, so she could stream all the HD tv shows/movies I constantly download off the net and keep stored on my pc. The only channels she herself, a 64yo woman, actually had use for was Jewelry TV, and a bundle channel of QVC, QVC UK, HSN & HSN2.

There were a few cheesy channels that show really, really old movies/tv series, a few channels that show bootleg movies (one had been running a really bad cam of Captain America back in January). The website itself lists most of the channels you can get, and googling "roku private channels" will also bring up a few lists to peruse.

We have Netflix, but she doesn't really use it, so it's on the Roku, she just never uses it.

Honestly, there are loads of channels, but for me it's 99% garbage. Loads of religious channels, news channels, info channels, but for pure entertainment media it's all kind of public domain type crap. Other than Netflix/Hulu/Plex I'd have no use for it.

And now that she's gotten used to using Plex, all I ever hear is "I missed my shows last night, can you download them for me?" LOL.

Got my Roku LT less than a month ago. Loving it just for Crunchyroll alone to watch anime and kdramas. It's also great for being able to tote around the house to hook up to other TVs wherever your blu-ray player may not be for streaming Amazon, Pandora, etc.

The roku forum - http://forums.roku.com/ has lots of useful info about some of the private channels out there, and general info about the different versions of Roku. I'm sure you can find something of interest to watch. Nowhere TV is popular too.

As far as the memory goes, I've read that the current gen doesn't have a limit on the number of channels it can hold. The LT may have more internal built in because it doesn't have the microSD slot which is mainly for downloading games on the higher models that utilize the bluetooth and motion remotes.

Didn't need anything fancy, so the LT is working out great for me. You may have just missed the HD model that was on sale for the same 50 bucks as the LT.

bread's done
Back