Gamestop Throwing Away Guitar Controllers - YMMV

Ronin317

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I was in Gamestop tonight trading in my old 360 for a new slim on that sweet PUR deal, and also picked up a new mic for RB3.

Since I was buying the mic, the manager asked me if I wanted any USED GH Guitars for free. He says "We got a corporate memo to field destroy any we had in stock. Take em all, I don't care." And shows me the memo.

SO...for those of you who happen to feel like dumpster diving, tonight and the next day or so, you should be able to grab all the guitar controllers your heart desires at many GS locations... as always, YMMV. If there are any GS employees, feel free to confirm or deny, but the memo I saw looked like it was dated today, 3.9.12. Not sure if it's regional, either. I'm in Pittsburgh, FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ronin317']I was in Gamestop tonight trading in my old 360 for a new slim on that sweet PUR deal, and also picked up a new mic for RB3.

Since I was buying the mic, the manager asked me if I wanted any guitars for free. He says "We got a corporate memo to field destroy any we had in stock. Take em all, I don't care." And shows me the memo.

SO...for those of you who happen to feel like dumpster diving, tonight and the next day or so, you should be able to grab all the guitar controllers your heart desires at many GS locations... as always, YMMV. If there are any GS employees, feel free to confirm or deny, but the memo I saw looked like it was dated today, 3.9.12. Not sure if it's regional, either. I'm in Pittsburgh, FWIW.[/QUOTE]

Which store was this? I live like 3 minutes from the East Liberty store, might be worth a late excursion.

I was wondering when/if GS was gonna destroy all of the plastic guitars their stores are probably overflowing with.

I also wouldn't doubt if from this point on out these kind of peripherals aren't allowed to be traded in.

If anything, you could pretend to be a rockstar and do GS' job for them by smashing a bunch of them.;) But otherwise these are just plastic junk that clutter your house up pretty quick.

I haven't seen any of these locally in GS stores for years, unless they have some new in the package sitting around. I don't think they have ever taken these for trade in TBH at least around here. I do remember being in GS several times and having them turn away customers that wanted to buy used Guitar controllers and telling them they never had any, then GS told the customers to buy on ebay.

Also, these can be used on the xbox 360 as controllers to obtain multiplayer achievements if you don't have enough controllers to get the achievements, they have just enough buttons to log in as a second to fourth player. So they do have a use at least on the Xbox 360 albeit a very specific and niche one.

I remember last time this happened it was with a bunch of video game themed wallets. I knew they were going to destroy them so I went and they were still on the shelves, and I tried buying them (rang up 1 cent). They then took them away and said I couldn't have them since they had to throw them away. I insisted but they refused.
Needless to say we dont' go to that gamestop anymore. Come on, guys. You would rather destroy them than just let me have them?

[quote name='Shadowiii']I remember last time this happened it was with a bunch of video game themed wallets. I knew they were going to destroy them so I went and they were still on the shelves, and I tried buying them (rang up 1 cent). They then took them away and said I couldn't have them since they had to throw them away. I insisted but they refused.
Needless to say we dont' go to that gamestop anymore. Come on, guys. You would rather destroy them than just let me have them?[/QUOTE]

or take them home themselves....

I went by my local store just before closing tonight. My main objective was to pre-order Tales of Graces since I've been procrastinating on that, but I figured I'd ask about this while I was there. Not only did they not know anything about it- my card wouldn't ring up properly. ;_; I'll be heading in tomorrow to see if they can sort it out.

[quote name='outunderstars']Really wish they could be recycled. :([/QUOTE]
Unfortunately Gamestop(and many other chains) idea of recycling is tossing shit in the dumpster.:roll: We're such a wasteful world it's sickening. At least when some Targets zero out their clearance items they end up at Goodwill, where at least someone will hopefully buy them and get some use out of them.:whistle2:#

[quote name='chrisflyer']Which store was this? I live like 3 minutes from the East Liberty store, might be worth a late excursion.[/QUOTE]
One of the Monroeville stores

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unfortunately Gamestop(and many other chains) idea of recycling is tossing shit in the dumpster.:roll: We're such a wasteful world it's sickening. At least when some Targets zero out their clearance items they end up at Goodwill, where at least someone will hopefully buy them and get some use out of them.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Right, so much for being green $$.

[quote name='aaronz77']Right, so much for being green $$.[/QUOTE]
That is the only 'green'(money) they care about, just like the companies that're making those 'eco' cases now for games and movies. Those cases are so flimsy sometimes that you then have to replace them with a non 'eco' case and end up tossing out that junky one. So how exactly does that help the Earth?:roll::whistle2:#

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Thanks god this terrible genre is dying.[/QUOTE]

I laugh in your general direction.

If you want companies to give stuff away instead of destroying it, then you need to lobby to change tax & accounting laws. Can't believe I'm defending GS, but they must do that in order to legally get the credit from the publisher or the government (depending on where their credit is coming from in that situation).

Tried the E. Liberty store in Pittsburgh, if they put anything in the dumpster, it is unfortunately locked, so that was a bust.

Might have to check this out over the weekend. Wouldn't mind having some extras, definitely if they are throwing out wireless.

Bash the genre, but I think the games are still fun.

[quote name='Ricanlegend']Pay a bum $5 bucks to collect all the guitar from the dump :beer:[/QUOTE]
I'd rather pay a bum $5 to walk into a GS store and take dump in the middle of the floor or one of the uhh dump bins they put the lower priced 360 and such games in.;)

My gamestop has like 40 Modern Warfare 3 T-Shirts marked 1 cent each. It's better than throwing them away. I'd buy some but I don't wear video game T-Shirts, and even if I did, not MW3.

Me and GS have something in common. I've got 6 of these left in the garage, for various systems, along with an unopened Rock Band wireless drum set. I'm about at the point where I just smash the guitars and send them to the dump.

[quote name='DaShaka']My gamestop has like 40 Modern Warfare 3 T-Shirts marked 1 cent each. It's better than throwing them away. I'd buy some but I don't wear video game T-Shirts, and even if I did, not MW3.[/QUOTE]
You should grab em all for $.01 each and put them up on your trade list here. Someone would likely grab some off you just for the sake of having them.

This doesn't surprise me. I was in Gamestop not to long ago and while I was waiting in line one of the employees said to someone in line 'We don't buy the guitars, just letting you know now'.

And every time I go to local thrift stores in my town I see the wired ones for sale for like a dollar. So it's definitely not a stretch to think they're overflowed with them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You should grab em all for $.01 each and put them up on your trade list here. Someone would likely grab some off you just for the sake of having them.[/QUOTE]

That or even have a garage sale or something. Sell 'em for $2-$3 a piece.

Worst case scenario; donate 'em to Goodwill. Do your good deed for the day. You're only out .40 cents if you go that route...

[quote name='tylerh1701']Funny, I'd gladly pay $10-$15 for one, but I can't find them anywhere. Online they're too expensive.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I actually need a couple replacements, but MSRP for them is ridiculous

Well, I've got 4 for the :360: sitting here that need tested and cleaned, 2 Les Pauls, 1 World Tour Strat, and 1 Xplorer... If they work, they're going on my list for my fellow CAGs. And I'll probably go $10-15 plus shipping on each (amazon gift cards would be loverly)...

[quote name='Tsel']That or even have a garage sale or something. Sell 'em for $2-$3 a piece.

Worst case scenario; donate 'em to Goodwill. Do your good deed for the day. You're only out .40 cents if you go that route...[/QUOTE]

True, I'll check back soon and see of they still have them.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Funny, I'd gladly pay $10-$15 for one, but I can't find them anywhere. Online they're too expensive.[/QUOTE]

This. I would love to switch out my PS2 guitar hero controller/games for the Xbox 360 versions.

I guess I'm the only person who enjoyed playing the guitar games.

New challenge. Play other games with the guitar controller. Mission 1 halo reach on legendary. Lol

For those who don't understand the way "field destroy" works:

Destroying"an item (as opposed to giving it away to customers), and providing documented evidence that they've been destroyed, results in a pretty hefty tax write-off for unsellable goods. Could they donate them to Goodwill for a tax write off as well? Yes, but the write-offs for donations are limited.

So before you go knocking any store for being "big-ol meanies" for not selling you items at a penny, business is business, and giving it away means they lose money.

Well, the Gamestop store near me is tossing out all the cases and instructions for the used DS games that get traded in. I'm pretty pissed about that, but again, Gamestop doesn't care about preserving games in their original condition, which is why I only shop there if it's something that I can't find otherwise.

[quote name='Cmosfm']For those who don't understand the way "field destroy" works:

Destroying"an item (as opposed to giving it away to customers), and providing documented evidence that they've been destroyed, results in a pretty hefty tax write-off for unsellable goods. Could they donate them to Goodwill for a tax write off as well? Yes, but the write-offs for donations are limited.

So before you go knocking any store for being "big-ol meanies" for not selling you items at a penny, business is business, and giving it away means they lose money.[/QUOTE]

Yep, same thing happened when I was a manager at Blockbuster years ago. Every few months we would have to destroy hundreds of dvds and keep track of them for tax purposes. Getting caught taking any of these dvds was an automatic "you're fired" offense.

[quote name='Cmosfm']For those who don't understand the way "field destroy" works:

So before you go knocking any store for being "big-ol meanies" for not selling you items at a penny, business is business, and giving it away means they lose money.[/QUOTE]

that's nice and all but when you stand back and just look at the situation there is something wrong about it. Just because a corporation profits from the things they do does not make it the right thing to do. More than likely some people overseas were paid very little to make these. Then they were shipped over the ocean and by truck to stores all over the place just to be destroyed when they could instead at least be enjoyed by less fortunate kids. If there is in fact a law that lets corporations derive more tax benefit from destroying still useful goods instead of donating them that is also flawed to say the least. How crap like that gets into the books when 8 out of 10 or maybe even a higher percentage of people would agree it is a terrible policy is beyond me. It's the sort of practice that should be highlighted more in the media which would hurt corporate images enough for them to maybe change their ways for the better or get people interested enough to maybe change ridiculous policies such as this.

[quote name='soonersfan60']If you want companies to give stuff away instead of destroying it, then you need to lobby to change tax & accounting laws. Can't believe I'm defending GS, but they must do that in order to legally get the credit from the publisher or the government (depending on where their credit is coming from in that situation).[/QUOTE]

100% agree. It's such a waste but you can't blame the companies, their only option wuold be to in-effect pay to give them away. They've already likely lost money on just having them sit in stock for God knows how long, they aren't going to want to pay even more money to get rid of them.

The problem is two-fold though. Like others have said the policy is moronic. Even if the policy doesn't allow (or heavily frowns upon) giving them away/selling for a cent, the policy should definitely encourage donations instead of straight up tossing in the garbage.

Secondly, what "documentation" is required? Unless it's a picture of the guitars smashed to bits I'd say the documentation is rather pointless, wouldn't you?

[quote name='tcleary']Just because a corporation profits from the things they do does not make it the right thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does, that's the way businesses work. I'm sorry that you don't agree but that in no way makes it "wrong". You see, there's this little thing called Profits and Loss, and if the Loss portion isn't able to offset the costs of goods purchased that aren't selling, it cuts into Profit.

It's not black and white, and there's reasons for everything. If businesses were able to take tax write-offs for items "given away" to customers, it leaves open WAY too many exploitable loopholes.

It sucks that you can't always get what you feel is "right" as a consumer but that's the way the world works.

[quote name='JKSonic']
Secondly, what "documentation" is required? Unless it's a picture of the guitars smashed to bits I'd say the documentation is rather pointless, wouldn't you?[/QUOTE]

It's actually pictures. And even if it wasn't, do you think the Gamestop would just have no problem lying to the government and then publicly giving away the guitars?

[quote name='Cmosfm']Yes, it does, that's the way businesses work. I'm sorry that you don't agree but that in no way makes it "wrong". You see, there's this little thing called Profits and Loss, and if the Loss portion isn't able to offset the costs of goods purchased that aren't selling, it cuts into Profit.

It's not black and white, and there's reasons for everything. If businesses were able to take tax write-offs for items "given away" to customers, it leaves open WAY too many exploitable loopholes.

It sucks that you can't always get what you feel is "right" as a consumer but that's the way the world works.

It's actually pictures. And even if it wasn't, do you think the Gamestop would just have no problem lying to the government and then publicly giving away the guitars?[/QUOTE]

So they ask for pictures of the guitars destroyed? Or pictures of them in the dumpster or what? Just curious...

I wasn't so much saying about GS lying, but I certainly wouldn't see a problem with giving a few away if customers happen to come in at the right time and ask about them. I mean unless they literally have to be destroyed (which maybe you're saying they do), what's the difference between telling a costumer "sorry we just threw them away...out back...in the dumpster" or just being like "here dude we're tossing these anyway".

Anyway, like I and others have said the policy is BS. If GS was making a profit on them (even a cent) I could see the government not giving the tax credit...but if no profit is made... Sure there would have to be rules, and you'd still have to provide documentation like how long they've been in stock and stuff but still.

[quote name='Shadowiii']I remember last time this happened it was with a bunch of video game themed wallets. I knew they were going to destroy them so I went and they were still on the shelves, and I tried buying them (rang up 1 cent). They then took them away and said I couldn't have them since they had to throw them away. I insisted but they refused.
Needless to say we dont' go to that gamestop anymore. Come on, guys. You would rather destroy them than just let me have them?[/QUOTE]

Dude seriously? Don't fucking blame the employees. Yes, I would rather throw them away than give them to you and lose my fucking job. We just do what we're told. And before anyone asks, yes, the Employee that the OP is talking about could very well lose his job if anyone from corporate found this thread.

Edit: Sorry guys, that comment just really struck a nerve as an employee. Just to clear things up, no I don't think it's the best thing to do either, I would definitely rather give away all the stuff we have to destroy, either donating or even just giving them to some lucky customer, I'd love to make their day, but that's not the policy, so we have to stick to it. Like someone earlier said, if you want things like that to change, you have to vote for the change.

[quote name='JKSonic']So they ask for pictures of the guitars destroyed? Or pictures of them in the dumpster or what? Just curious...
[/QUOTE]

Pictures of them destroyed, basically the government wants proof that you didn't lie, and pictures of said "unsellable merchandise" that's destroyed beyond use is what they need.

My friend once had to be part of a field destroy when Gamestop decided to stop selling "classic" games (SNES, NES, N64, etc) and he watched as they completely smashed (boards and all) tons of games including games such as Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2-3, Chrono Trigger and more.

Guitars, who cares? You can buy 50 at any flea market. Watching as Earthbound gets smashed to shit, now that's sad.

bread's done
Back