I would like to discuss an Auction Forums here at CAG.

defender

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Could we add an Auctions forums to discuss ebay, auctions, and such?

Similar to AtariAge.com's auction central...

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

We could point out good auctions...scams, our own auction listings...and of course VGA auction stuff too.

Seems to me that auctions are a big part of being a cheapassgamer but having auctions listed in the hot deals seems stupid. It deserves its own forums.

yeah just my intention...to create a place for more topics so you can raise your posts count

we should start a word count to replace the posts count.....you would be dead last nick :)

Depending on the work load on you guys (Tech advisors and CheapyD) I would think it seems like a decent idea. It would cut many flamewars over where a auction deserves to be posted.
If it's yours, does it belong in trading?
If it's not yours, does it belong in deals?

It would take all of the guess work and possible flamewars out of those scenarios.

i voted yes. i never ost auctions, but i would like to see some of the good ones. and it would be better than when a few weeks ago when there was an avalance of ebay auctions in the deals forums.

I don't have a problem with it...as long as we remove it from the recent posts on the front page. I've accepted the fact that trade lists will (unfortunately) always make up half of the list; I don't really want to see eBay auctions making up the other half.

IMO, the "Recent Posts" should be reserved for the deals forums, the system discussion forums, and possibly the off-topic as well. Then again, I know I'm in a minority...

/still slightly annoyed

I think this would be a good idea as well. I also like the idea mentioned earlier about it not being on the front page.
--Shadd

sure sounds like a good idea, it'll keep people from posting theirs or other auctions on other pages. and it doesent hurt to also know where a good auction is taking place.

If someone is looking for a certain game in an auction why should they search CAG instead of ebay or VGA? CAG doesn't have the auctions. Why create more congestion here?

Personally, I think it would add more fluff threads that most people would skip over.

If there is a good deal going on on an eBay auction I don't want to tell anyone about it. I have been sniped so many times in the last week it is not even funny any more.

It is nice to believe that adding more forums will make people create threads in the proper forums, but I doubt it.

Still I think it would be a good addition.

I voted yes,

it seems like in Deal Discussion/bragging rights there is at least a question about a certain auction or a post about a problem with an auction a few times a week.

I think an auction forum would be a great place to discuss problems with auctions and an overall auction help forum.

[quote name='Scrubking']It is nice to believe that adding more forums will make people create threads in the proper forums, but I doubt it.[/quote]

Heh...so very true...

I know we have a more relaxed environment here, but I think we need the mods to be a little more pro-active (or observant) and make sure errant threads are moved to the proper forum and duplicate threads are locked, or add new mods who will. I don't mind CAGs policing themselves on behavioral issues, because I think we're quite effective in flaming the poop out of people who are out of line, but duplicate threads and wrong forum posting really burns my noodle.

[quote name='Scrubking']Still I think it would be a good addition.[/quote]

I have mixed feelings about it, but if people are going to be pimping their goods anyway, might as well.

[quote name='wsb']I know we have a more relaxed environment here, but I think we need the mods to be a little more pro-active (or observant) and make sure errant threads are moved to the proper forum and duplicate threads are locked, or add new mods who will. I don't mind CAGs policing themselves on behavioral issues, because I think we're quite effective in flaming the poop out of people who are out of line, but duplicate threads and wrong forum posting really burns my noodle.[/quote]

AMEN TO THAT.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='wsb']I know we have a more relaxed environment here, but I think we need the mods to be a little more pro-active (or observant) and make sure errant threads are moved to the proper forum and duplicate threads are locked, or add new mods who will. I don't mind CAGs policing themselves on behavioral issues, because I think we're quite effective in flaming the poop out of people who are out of line, but duplicate threads and wrong forum posting really burns my noodle.[/quote]

AMEN TO THAT.[/quote]

Ditto. I'm beginning to think that anyone who spends a significant amount of time on the site (like Banky, for example) should be given mod powers so we can crack down on topics discussing the illegal and duplicate threads more efficiently.

well take a look at my example over at atariage.com

as you can see the discussions there vary from flaming bad auctions, to posting ones own deals, asking how much something is worth at ebay, exposing fraud auctions, and general auction topics.

even before this I mentioned to CheapyD about trimming the front page latest posts to not include certain forums...

OKB-while you are correct that anyone can search ebay for something...the same holds true to eb, gamestop or the rest of the web...EBAY is HUGE and its hard to focus on good auctions..I look at a possible auctions forums to discuss the many facets of auctions and not just the cool auction deals ...please go take a look at atariage and get a feel for how well the site handles it over there...I think it would be a GREAT addition here

CheapyD where are you!

Hopefully my CAG technical advisor title will have some sway. :)

I have mod powers to but I almost never use them. Its up to CheapyD to create solid rules for the admins here. Its something I have been saying to him. He prefers a light mod touch which is fine but as this forums grows its gonna have to change. An example is that huge rip-off cloudspekk thread...that went way overboard and should have been locked in the first 48 hours. That whole thread was between a couple people and it seemed like everyone at CAG was involved. I am sure that sales were down at most game stores because of it. :)

[quote name='defender']An example is that huge rip-off cloudspekk thread...that went way overboard and should have been locked in the first 48 hours. That whole thread was between a couple people and it seemed like everyone at CAG was involved. I am sure that sales were down at most game stores because of it. :)[/quote]

That's actually a bad example. One poster in particular, MightySlacker, took an extreme interest in the conflict. He began researching, contacting the authorities and pointing out the flaws in CloudSpekk's actions and excuses, and basically was able to mediate the dispute. If the thread had been locked when you suggested (48 hours), I don't think he would have became involved and the conflict would still be unresolved.

Going light on moderation IS the best method, IMO...but there's been a lot of crap showing up here lately (like that white supremacist website) that definitely deserved to be locked ASAP. If I ever end up with mod powers - not very likely - I'd end up letting a lot go and just locking the duplicates and anything that's blatantly illegal / offensive. I feel that's the best solution...but that's just my opinion, and I don't want this thread to go even further off-topic.

I'll stop here. :D

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']I'd end up letting a lot go and just locking the duplicates and anything that's blatantly illegal / offensive. I feel that's the best solution...but that's just my opinion, and I don't want this thread to go even further off-topic.

I'll stop here. :D[/quote]

Thats what I do.

Dont get me started on the CloudSpekk thread. It was kinda hard to simply lock it because those that were ripped off by him begged for it to stay open because it was their only contact with him.

Anyways, there was talk on the trading board for a sticky topic devoted just for eBay auction listings. Once an auction ended, the post would be deleted. Might be an idea to consider.

a sticky topic for auctions would be like the target thread...just too large to even look at...I dont even bother to read it

[quote name='defender']a sticky topic for auctions would be like the target thread...just too large to even look at...I dont even bother to read it[/quote]

Hence, the point of trimming. Once an auction finishes, it'll be deleted from the topic. So if it was slow for a few days, it could just have the 1 post that created the topic.

I vote YES. It be a lot like the Retrogaming roundtable in the Digital Press Forums. The auction forums are a great place to get some insider feedback on nefarious sellers and reliable ones. I think it's a good idea, except for the fact no one would list any good auctions 'cause they'd want to be the ones to win. Still, it's fun to have a place to OOOHH and AHH at some of the higher priced rarities and laugh at the idiots who overblow their 'treasures'. I think it's a good idea and it's something else to talk about instead of the typical flame boy fan war, or fanboy flame war, or whatever.

I say maybe. It sound like a good idea, but I am worried the prices of items would be higher then if not posted on the site. And bid wars might start making the game not cheap anymore, but I can see people posting items that are Buy it Now items

actually a sticky thread may not be a bad idea. I read the target threads current page every day or so to get a handle on the current prices people have found. The same could happen for auctions. Nobody's going to read every page of an auction thread, just the current one to find out the current auctions. Deleting threads for past auctions would become moot.

I still like the idea of an auction forum. Threads for good sellers, bad sellers, outrageous items, and good deals would be a welcome addition to CAG and all in one convinient section, filtered from all the other business at CAG.

bread's done
Back