XMB on the PS3 taking forever to exit back into games

Anyone else have an issue since the last FW update with the XMB taking forever to exit back into a game when you press the Home button?

It takes easily 5-10 seconds in some instances for my PS3 to exit the XMB and get back into a game sometimes lately.

It'll just seem to get stuck on a loading screen where the XMB disappears but the little working clock keeps going round and round in the upper right corner of the screen.

This only started happening after one of the last FW updates though.

Last night, I was loading into a game and decided to write a message as it was doing so. When I went to exit the XMB it went to a black screen for about 5-10 seconds. Then it FINALLY returned me to the game and the game loaded.

[quote name='Vinny']Mine does that sometimes, but not always.

I'm guessing my HDD is probably fragmented as fuck.[/QUOTE]
I did the restore file system from the PS3's safe mode menu last night and it seemed to fix my XMB issue for now. I know I deleted a LOT of game files when I traded in 50+ games to Best Buy. Normally when I delete a lot of stuff from my PS3 I run the file restore so it can clean up the HDD.

You should try it. Here's how to get into the PS3's safe mode menu:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/10/14/keep-your-ps3-safe-with-this-guide/

I've also done option #4(rebuild database) and it helps with speeding up XMB loading among other things as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I did the restore file system from the PS3's safe mode menu last night and it seemed to fix my XMB issue for now. I know I deleted a LOT of game files when I traded in 50+ games to Best Buy. Normally when I delete a lot of stuff from my PS3 I run the file restore so it can clean up the HDD.

You should try it. Here's how to get into the PS3's safe mode menu:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/10/14/keep-your-ps3-safe-with-this-guide/

I've also done option #4(rebuild database) and it helps with speeding up XMB loading among other things as well.[/QUOTE]
For what it's worth. Back up your saves and anything else BEFORE you attempt to do either a File System Restore or a File Database Rebuild. If you have corrupt data and it's not fixable by either option, it will force you to reformat the hard drive and you'll lose everything without the option to save anything. Even if the PS3 was up and running before you attempted it, even if you power it off and restart, it will force you to format saying it's corrupt and you can't go back and recover your stuff.

[quote name='Mad39er']For what it's worth. Back up your saves and anything else BEFORE you attempt to do either a File System Restore or a File Database Rebuild. If you have corrupt data and it's not fixable by either option, it will force you to reformat the hard drive and you'll lose everything without the option to save anything. Even if the PS3 was up and running before you attempted it, even if you power it off and restart, it will force you to format saying it's corrupt and you can't go back and recover your stuff.[/QUOTE]
I never back up my info even though I know I should. But I'll have to start doing that sooner rather than later.

The only thing that frustrate the hell out of me are the locked saves from some games. You cannot copy them and unless you have the cloud saving feature by being a PS+ member you're SOL unless you want to copy EVERYTHING on your HDD.

bread's done
Back