Cronic dry eye

cheapotle

CAG Veteran
I've got this, been wondering for the longest time if there's something systemic I could take to stimulate tear output. Anybody here with this problem? What do you do to control it? I'm from Chile.

[quote name='musha666']Oh well if youre from Chile there is no cure.[/QUOTE]

Haha! I only said that so we wouldn't necessarily default to an US approach to medicine and health coverage.

I had mild dry eye and had punctal plugs put in a while back (around 2 years). Has helped a lot with my contacts not drying out, and I haven't had them fall out and need replaced yet.

If you have more sever dry eye, you may need to do a Restasis treatment (drops you use every day for a few months to increase tear production).

Also, avoid things that can dry out the eyes if possible like antihistamine allergy meds, nasal sprays like Flonase for allergies etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']If you have more sever dry eye, you may need to do a Restasis treatment (drops you use every day for a few months to increase tear production).[/QUOTE]

I had the opposite problem the OP has: my eyes were constantly watery and running down my face, to the point that I had to carry tissus with me everywhere. For reasons unknown, my doctor put me on Restasis. I don't go to that doctor any more.

Take some tweezers and slowly pluck a nose hair (you don't have to pluck it all the way, just tug on it). The mild pain should make your eye water. When my eyes feel dry I sometimes do this and I feel better afterward. It might also make you sneeze which would help stimulate tears as well. Sometimes yawning deeply can also make my eyes water.

As always, you can can see an eye doctor and they'll give you better advice. Ironically, watery eyes is a symptom of dry eyes.

[quote name='cheapotle']damul1114, thanks man, so "Restasis" then, will check that out.[/QUOTE]

Have to go to the eye doctor as it's a prescription medication.

bread's done
Back