* * * * - 7 votes

Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Strategy guides

#3871 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

Shout out to Romeo got
Witcher
Andromeda
Skyrim

RandomHajile3rd.png

#3872 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13203 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Struck out at the two stores that usually have them out.

Once as a kid I cried as my parents drove from ny to nj. That was a far cry.

If 4chan is the Internet's anus, Reddit is the taint.

#3873 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5411 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

Actually had the manager say today “where do you find out about the guides?” Told him that I game site I follow has guys that watch the list of guides and then say when something disappears. He said he’d rather give them to someone than trash them, anyway. Told me that if he ever pulled guides before I came, he’d just stick them in the back and save them for me.

#3874 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   702 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Actually had the manager say today “where do you find out about the guides?” Told him that I game site I follow has guys that watch the list of guides and then say when something disappears. He said he’d rather give them to someone than trash them, anyway. Told me that if he ever pulled guides before I came, he’d just stick them in the back and save them for me.

wish stores near me still have cool people like that. Tried at one store, there this new guy (probably seasonal) saw the MEA guide rang up as penny and he immediately override with the sticker price :wall:

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

#3875 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3627 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

wish stores near me still have cool people like that. Tried at one store, there this new guy (probably seasonal) saw the MEA guide rang up as penny and he immediately override with the sticker price :wall:
Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

They could be fired for that. Once it hits a penny, the distributor issues a credit for what GS paid at cost. They are only a cent for inventory tracking. Selling them is a HUGE no no.

#3876 DGenerateKane   Former Kanenite CAGiversary!   290 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

DGenerateKane

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:42 AM

Struck out at the second location but the first location had 1 copy each of ME:A and ESO:M. The two employees there were actually nice about the whole thing. I didn't even ask, I was looking at the meager selection when the guy asked if I needed help. Told him I was just browsing, when he asked if I had either ME:A or ESO:M. He just turned around and grabbed them from the counter behind him and gave them to me. They must have just pulled them, as another employee was still trying to find room for a crap ton of Odyssey guides. Last time I tried there a month or so ago a different employee told me they ship them back. Right, sure you do.

I was hoping to grab The Witcher III and Skyrim as well. Oh well.

#3877 Offthecrossbar   Takes One Step Forward CAGiversary!   72 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Offthecrossbar

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

I've been striking out everywhere on these lately. Earlier in the year I had about a 50% success rate at the 6 or so stores near me with just 1 guide left on the shelf for one of the pennied guides at the time.

Was really excited to see the Mass Effect and Witcher guides drop last week (as I finally picked up both of them recently) and started making the rounds, but found none at the first 5 stores. A few places had a Prey guide but I got denied with the usual "we have to send these back to get credit". Made it to the last store and found 1 more of both the Mass Effect and Witcher guides, and tried to temper my excitement as I brought them up to the counter. The girl working didn't even know what they were at first (excitement grew), and then was confused when they rang up at a penny (more excitement), and then said "well, I guess I can let you... oh! Doug! I can ask Doug about these!"

Doug then proceeded to grab the guides and say no no no, and told me that a few employees had actually ruined penny guides because they would hide the guides so when they pennied out they could grab them themselves... So they are keeping track of what they have left to either send back for credit or destroy.

Thanks Doug.