* * * * - 7 votes

Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Strategy guides

#3871 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1405 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

Shout out to Romeo got
Witcher
Andromeda
Skyrim

#3872 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13566 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Struck out at the two stores that usually have them out.

#3873 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5538 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

Actually had the manager say today “where do you find out about the guides?” Told him that I game site I follow has guys that watch the list of guides and then say when something disappears. He said he’d rather give them to someone than trash them, anyway. Told me that if he ever pulled guides before I came, he’d just stick them in the back and save them for me.

#3874 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1332 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Actually had the manager say today “where do you find out about the guides?” Told him that I game site I follow has guys that watch the list of guides and then say when something disappears. He said he’d rather give them to someone than trash them, anyway. Told me that if he ever pulled guides before I came, he’d just stick them in the back and save them for me.

wish stores near me still have cool people like that. Tried at one store, there this new guy (probably seasonal) saw the MEA guide rang up as penny and he immediately override with the sticker price :wall:

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

#3875 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4046 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

wish stores near me still have cool people like that. Tried at one store, there this new guy (probably seasonal) saw the MEA guide rang up as penny and he immediately override with the sticker price :wall:

They could be fired for that. Once it hits a penny, the distributor issues a credit for what GS paid at cost. They are only a cent for inventory tracking. Selling them is a HUGE no no.

#3876 DGenerateKane   Former Kanenite CAGiversary!   552 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

DGenerateKane

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:42 AM

Struck out at the second location but the first location had 1 copy each of ME:A and ESO:M. The two employees there were actually nice about the whole thing. I didn't even ask, I was looking at the meager selection when the guy asked if I needed help. Told him I was just browsing, when he asked if I had either ME:A or ESO:M. He just turned around and grabbed them from the counter behind him and gave them to me. They must have just pulled them, as another employee was still trying to find room for a crap ton of Odyssey guides. Last time I tried there a month or so ago a different employee told me they ship them back. Right, sure you do.

I was hoping to grab The Witcher III and Skyrim as well. Oh well.

#3877 Offthecrossbar   Takes One Step Forward CAGiversary!   111 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Offthecrossbar

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

I've been striking out everywhere on these lately. Earlier in the year I had about a 50% success rate at the 6 or so stores near me with just 1 guide left on the shelf for one of the pennied guides at the time.

Was really excited to see the Mass Effect and Witcher guides drop last week (as I finally picked up both of them recently) and started making the rounds, but found none at the first 5 stores. A few places had a Prey guide but I got denied with the usual "we have to send these back to get credit". Made it to the last store and found 1 more of both the Mass Effect and Witcher guides, and tried to temper my excitement as I brought them up to the counter. The girl working didn't even know what they were at first (excitement grew), and then was confused when they rang up at a penny (more excitement), and then said "well, I guess I can let you... oh! Doug! I can ask Doug about these!"

Doug then proceeded to grab the guides and say no no no, and told me that a few employees had actually ruined penny guides because they would hide the guides so when they pennied out they could grab them themselves... So they are keeping track of what they have left to either send back for credit or destroy.

Thanks Doug.

#3878 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13566 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:51 AM

Thanks Romeo, today I picked up:

4x Prey

Skyrim CE (thing is freaking massive)

Watch Dogs 2 CE

Was rejected on Skyrim CE at one store, and Morrowind CE/FO4 CE/Prey CE/one other at a different store.

#3879 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4046 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:58 AM

Thanks Romeo, today I picked up:
4x Prey
Skyrim CE (thing is freaking massive)
Watch Dogs 2 CE

Was rejected on Skyrim CE at one store, and Morrowind CE/FO4 CE/Prey CE/one other at a different store.

You’re welcome. It wasn’t all me though, test effort here. I was just able to confirm the drops from the stores.

When I saw your post just now I forgot it was Wednesday and worried I missed a drop today.

#3880 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   524 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Actually saw a Skyrim in a store the other day but got denied as always.

Anyone in the LA area have a store that you can get guides from at all any more?

#3881 Pudding   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   24 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

The Titanfall 2: Prima Collector's Edition Guide is currently $7.59 on Amazon.com.

#3882 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3477 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

Actually saw a Skyrim in a store the other day but got denied as always.

Anyone in the LA area have a store that you can get guides from at all any more?

yep, me too.  Penny guides are pretty much dead for my top 4 stores at this point.

#3883 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13566 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:05 AM

Interesting tidbit: Lego Jurassic World and Batman Arkham Knight both ring up as .02 at TRU if you scan the upc, but as full price if you scan the ISBN.

#3884 gamerdad101  

gamerdad101

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:15 AM

Interesting tidbit: Lego Jurassic World and Batman Arkham Knight both ring up as .02 at TRU if you scan the upc, but as full price if you scan the ISBN.

I noticed lego Jurassic World a few months ago. I keep getting denied or they scan the ISBN and I decline but they keep putting it back on the shelf.

#3885 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2702 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

is the skyrim CE the exact same as the old prints when the 360/ps3 legendary versions came out or did they actually change stuff?

#3886 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1405 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

TRU had stickers on the guide shelf that read PRICED AS MARKED !!!! During this weekend. Bad signs ahead ?

#3887 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2702 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:25 AM

TRU had stickers on the guide shelf that read PRICED AS MARKED !!!! During this weekend. Bad signs ahead ?

If its anything like old BB guide drops, sign won't matter as long as it rings up .01cent

#3888 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4046 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

I presume everyone knew about the GameStop CE guide sale today. I went and grabbed an AC Origins guide. This is one series I’ll buy the guides for no matter what, yet at a reasonable price. I missed the old half off guides coupon from Best Buy. Those were the days.

#3889 Asgardian   Crazy Ass Game Collector CAGiversary!   950 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

Thanks to hard work of fellow CAG, I lurked on this thread and began drooling uncontrollably, decided to go hunting after work.

When to a GS, almost had an heart attack when I saw the small mountain of penny guilds on the floor, at least 3-5 copies of each of those listed. I only really wanted that holy weapon of a brick Skyrim and the oh so fucking sweet sight Witcher 3 CE guides, but couldn't resist and grabbed one of each MEA and pokemon S&M (for the kids). 

Lined up for 30 minutes as they sold a few Xbox and even a PS4. When it was finally my turn, the manager whispered to the employee to not to sell me any of the penny guides.

I did the usual - well, it's on the store floor, and I lined up for ages, and these heavy tomes basically fused into part of my arm, oh please just at least give me a couple? Just Skyrim? 

Nope, wont budge at all. 

After arguing with them a few more minutes, they called the police and told them I was harassing them. LMFAO.

No penny guide for me. 

Man do I miss the days of BBY penny guild hunts. 

Nevertheless, glad to see there are still stores cool enough to be decent with giving them out. 

Morale of the story: Do not dare harass GS employees. 

#3890 Mrclarkkent  

Mrclarkkent

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

I always give perfect reviews to stores that are nice enough to give them instead of trashing them. I don't know if I'll ever be cool with the notion of just trashing anything. Hell give it to goodwill and get a tax wright off.

#3891 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5538 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Most of my local stores know me, because I like to just walk in and shoot the shit on the regular, and I’ve never been turned down for a penny guide. Even in he stores to the north that I only get to occasionally, I’ve never been turned down... Lucky, I guess.

#3892 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13566 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

Anyone know which two guides dropped off the site today?

#3893 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4046 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:02 AM

Anyone know which two guides dropped off the site today?

Uhoh...

Every Wednesday I get nervous when I see an update to the thread and it's late in the day. Now I'm going to be up all night worry.

Thanks Darby.

#3894 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13566 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Uhoh...

Every Wednesday I get nervous when I see an update to the thread and it's late in the day. Now I'm going to be up all night worry.

Thanks Darby.

No problem! It was at 34 results for guide in the morning, and 32 in the evening.

#3895 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4046 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:08 AM

Most looked forward to drop now is the SNES classics book to match the NES one I picked up a while back. Since I bought the AC Origins guide the other day for $10, I don't have to worry about that one too much.

#3896 trig   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:43 AM

I have 1 walmart listed as 4$ for pokemon guide @ brickseek but I couldn't find it  :bomb:  didn't even see a single game guide. I asked an employee at the video game section and he has no idea what a game guide is. I also checked the pokemon cards section near the checkout counters

#3897 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1332 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:00 AM

I have 1 walmart listed as 4$ for pokemon guide @ brickseek but I couldn't find it :bomb: didn't even see a single game guide. I asked an employee at the video game section and he has no idea what a game guide is. I also checked the pokemon cards section near the checkout counters

places I've seen my local Walmarts put strategy guide: endcap near video games, random shelves middle of the walkway, or clearance section (look for yellow balloons).

#3898 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

I have 1 walmart listed as 4$ for pokemon guide @ brickseek but I couldn't find it  :bomb:  didn't even see a single game guide. I asked an employee at the video game section and he has no idea what a game guide is. I also checked the pokemon cards section near the checkout counters

I had  a similar experience, guides disappeared entirely from the store I frequent or they were moved to a random clearance endcap

#3899 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13566 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

Finally picked up a Morrowind CE guide at GS yesterday along with another Prey CE one.

#3900 Joe Fongul   Slave to the Grind.. CAGiversary!   1245 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

One guide that pennied out this last week is the Pokemon Sun & Moon Pokedex HC.  I usually ask at my main GS when I drop in if anything has pennied out & they usually hook things up more often than not.