Disgaea 3:Absence of Detention out now/free on PS+

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Should make RPG fans happy

Here's a review
http://www.gamespot.com/disgaea-3-a...isgaea-3-absence-of-detention-review-6370024/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...f-detention-ps-vitas-first-rpg-hits-in-april/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cU_MR9esdY

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/disgaea-3-absence-of-detention/98749

The awardwinning fan favorite Disgaea 3 is set to join the HD handheld revolution with Absence of Detention, an expanded, enhanced special release for PS Vita, slated to land this spring. With all of the console release's DLC, plus new characters, story chapters, quests, bosses, touch controls, and more, Absence of Detention promises to be one of the biggest Disgaea games yet - and you can carry it in the palm of your hand!
  • NEW VITAEXCLUSIVE CONTENT AND FEATURES
    • Two new characters and story chapters, new quests and bosses, new skills specific to each job and character class, new super moves, new Tera magic, new front and rear touch controls, and new GPS positioning functionality take full advantage of the power of PlayStation®Vita!
  • ADVANCED ITEM CUSTOMIZATION
    • In previous Disgaea games, new items could be created based on the stats of something else, but the customization stopped there. In Absence of Detention, players can choose how those items look, too, giving them more control over the look and feel of their items than ever before!
  • COMPETE WITH YOUR FRIENDS USING THE RECORD SHOP
    • View other players' game stats and rankings on PlayStation®Network to determine who the most hardcore Disgaea player is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having never played one of these I was at first excited. That trailer made it look bad to me. I will Gamefly it first to make sure its something I would like. I do normally like tactical RPGs.

I played about 2 hours of the original on the PS2. I couldn't get into it. But this is a huge game right? Would you recommend I try this out again? I'm a big strategy RPG fan. So maybe I didn't give it enough time?

[quote name='BREVITY']That trailer made it look bad to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree... I've never tried any of the Disgaea series and that trailer made me want to continue to the trend of avoiding them. Way too "Japanese" for me, I think.

The games are super quirky, but funny... and the gameplay depth is incredible. You can level up your characters, but in addition, you can level up individual items. It can take a while to really get into / understand, but you will lose months to these game, haha. This game is the reason I bought a Vita, the best strategy RPG around, tons of characters, weapons, armor, humor, etc. Like I said though, the learning curve is steep, but well worth the price of admission.

Maybe this has already been clarified in one of the info pieces about the game but the thing that worries me about getting this on the Vita is the pure length of some of the dungeons. Especially in things like the item world and such. Doesn't seem like a great fit for a portable unless there has been some sort of alteration to the same method to allow saving in the middle of one.

That being said I do love the inclusion of all the console DLC as well as the new features they are touting. Will still pick this up either way.

I guess Dungeon Hunter Alliance doesn't count? I know it sucks (and is cheaper on PS3), but it exists. While I love the idea of Disgaea coming to Vita, I'm still waiting for the first RPG to be built from the ground up for the Vita (and hopefully cross-platform).

I am surprised by the 'meh' mentality overall here. Anyone that is a SRPG fan should consider this a must buy. Great gameplay and tons of depth in a launch window where there are less options. Screams must buy to me if you have a Vita and like RPGs.

Once I finish with SMT: Devil Summoner Overclocked on the 3DS (excellent game!) I plan on buying one of the Persona games on the Vita. Sort of hoping that they bring the price down. $40 for a downloadable game is steep. I am thinking of grabbing on of the highly rated Disgaea games from the PSP too. I think both are about $10 each.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Maybe this has already been clarified in one of the info pieces about the game but the thing that worries me about getting this on the Vita is the pure length of some of the dungeons. Especially in things like the item world and such. Doesn't seem like a great fit for a portable unless there has been some sort of alteration to the same method to allow saving in the middle of one.[/QUOTE]
See, I feel just the opposite. I think Disgaea games are perfect for portables - I think I have over 200 hours each on 1 (on DS) and 2 (on PSP) - the longest you ever have to play without stopping is 10 levels (in Item World) and even then you can "sleep" the system if you need to interrupt. No level ever takes very long individually.

[quote name='jedolley']I'm considering getting this... Is it necessary for me to play any of the others in the series prior to playing this?[/QUOTE]
Not at all. Each game is set in its own "netherworld," so aside from perhaps not knowing characters who make "cameo" appearances, there's no story carryover.

[quote name='jeremybristol1959']I guess Dungeon Hunter Alliance doesn't count? I know it sucks (and is cheaper on PS3), but it exists. While I love the idea of Disgaea coming to Vita, I'm still waiting for the first RPG to be built from the ground up for the Vita (and hopefully cross-platform).[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why people think Dungeon Hunter Alliance sucks. It's a Diablo clone. If you didn't like Diablo, you won't like this. No surprises, here. I enjoy playing it!

Anyway, I looked for Disgaea 3 on the PS Store from my Vita, and I'm not seeing it. The published release date is next week... what am I missing, here?

Not out until tuesday to my knowledge... Interested in trying this out tho never played any of the others.

[quote name='BGriffith']Not out until tuesday to my knowledge... Interested in trying this out tho never played any of the others.[/QUOTE]

Also, this. I don't know of many releases on days other than Tuesday.

In fact, other than movies in theaters, it seems everything is released on a Tuesday...

*ramble ramble...*

When you say all of the console's DLC's are included, does that mean you don't have to buy DLCs for this game, unlike what PS3 makes you pay for all the DLCs? ($49.99 pack!!!!)

[quote name='Yggy87']When you say all of the console's DLC's are included, does that mean you don't have to buy DLCs for this game, unlike what PS3 makes you pay for all the DLCs? ($49.99 pack!!!!)[/QUOTE]
From the blog linked above:

and will include all the DLC that was released for the PS3 version, all on one card.

So that appears to ba a yes. (Although, knowing NIS, there may well be new DLC.)

[quote name='pob14']From the blog linked above:

So that appears to ba a yes. (Although, knowing NIS, there may well be new DLC.)[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind new DLC, theres still a few characters that havent been added to any Disgaea game that im surprised about. (Namely Neptune). Also was hoping we'd get the rest of the Disgaea 4 cast as playable (Or atleast Val and Fenrich)

got the game today Sadly how the camera jumps all over the place it makes me fell like im going to puke ...

hopefully can dump it on ebay with the cloth to get my cash back ...

[quote name='slidecage']got the game today Sadly how the camera jumps all over the place it makes me fell like im going to puke ...

hopefully can dump it on ebay with the cloth to get my cash back ...[/QUOTE]

Disgaea games have always done that when floating back and forth from character to character, especially when going through a lot of enemy turns in a row.

Should have my copy delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to get started on it. Never played 3 before but put tons if time into the first two.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Disgaea games have always done that when floating back and forth from character to character, especially when going through a lot of enemy turns in a row.

Should have my copy delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to get started on it. Never played 3 before but put tons if time into the first two.[/QUOTE]

yea im getting use to it ... moved camera as well.. Have to turn off BACK TOUCH SCREEN or your camera is going to jump all over the place. Played it around an hour or so ... its probally something i can play for an hour or two but just not into it that i would sit there and play it 3 to 4 hours like other games

figure maybe an hour or so a day..mostly hook on hot shots golf ... funny thing is i couldnt wait for this game to come out now that i got it im like .... NAH i play it later

and remember STAY OUT OF ITEM WORLD until you get far into the game... I went into item world way too soon on part 2 and it just ruined the game for me...

hitting monsters for 3000 pts of damage on chapter 3 was boring LOL

[quote name='slidecage']yea im getting use to it ... moved camera as well.. Have to turn off BACK TOUCH SCREEN or your camera is going to jump all over the place. Played it around an hour or so ... its probally something i can play for an hour or two but just not into it that i would sit there and play it 3 to 4 hours like other games

figure maybe an hour or so a day..mostly hook on hot shots golf ... funny thing is i couldnt wait for this game to come out now that i got it im like .... NAH i play it later

and remember STAY OUT OF ITEM WORLD until you get far into the game... I went into item world way too soon on part 2 and it just ruined the game for me...

hitting monsters for 3000 pts of damage on chapter 3 was boring LOL[/QUOTE]

That tends to happen on nearly any game if you overgrind

Picked up the game for $30 (used a $10 off coupon from PUR) enjoying it so far as my first Disgaea game. It really is pretty hilarious. I just finished chapter one might start two tomorrow. When does the item world even open up?

I cracked and ended up paying full price on Amazon. I wanted to wait for a deal but I'm going out of town for the week so I wanted something to play with Mortal Kombat (stupid Shape Kahn fight...)

I platinumed Disgaea 3 on PS3 and am working on the vita version. Beat it once, and am now grinding to play Beryl's bonus story. Game is amazingly addicting. It doesnt really start until you finish it at least once.

Story is so strange, but it works so well. I laughed out loud on quite a few occasions.

D1 is still my favorite so far; Laharl was just an amazing character, it'll be hard to replace him. Mao is a worthy main character in this one. Cant recommend it enough.

Question... Anyone know if NIS plans to release any of the other 3 games to the vita? I would LOVE to play through Afternoon of Darkness once again on the Vita...

[quote name='KneeKnee']I platinumed Disgaea 3 on PS3 and am working on the vita version. Beat it once, and am now grinding to play Beryl's bonus story. Game is amazingly addicting. It doesnt really start until you finish it at least once.

Story is so strange, but it works so well. I laughed out loud on quite a few occasions.

D1 is still my favorite so far; Laharl was just an amazing character, it'll be hard to replace him. Mao is a worthy main character in this one. Cant recommend it enough.

Question... Anyone know if NIS plans to release any of the other 3 games to the vita? I would LOVE to play through Afternoon of Darkness once again on the Vita...[/QUOTE]

You can already play the first 2 Disgaea if you get them on PSN.

[quote name='KneeKnee']Question... Anyone know if NIS plans to release any of the other 3 games to the vita? I would LOVE to play through Afternoon of Darkness once again on the Vita...[/QUOTE]

You can download Afternoon of Darkness and Disgaea 2 from the PS store, under the PSP section :) I believe they are also on sale at GameStop.com for the digital versions. $7.99 and $9.99 each I think.

[quote name='62t']You can already play the first 2 Disgaea if you get them on PSN.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SynGamer']You can download Afternoon of Darkness and Disgaea 2 from the PS store, under the PSP section :) I believe they are also on sale at GameStop.com for the digital versions. $7.99 and $9.99 each I think.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, should have mentioned, I wanted trophies for playing through again. :)

[quote name='SynGamer']You can download Afternoon of Darkness and Disgaea 2 from the PS store, under the PSP section :) I believe they are also on sale at GameStop.com for the digital versions. $7.99 and $9.99 each I think.[/QUOTE]
You had me excited there for a minute . . . AoD shows at $9.99 and Dark Hero Days at $14.99. I may get them anyway . . . especially DHD, since I have a PSP save I can copy over.

Anyone else playing this now since it went free on Plus? I started it up and am surprised at how damn crisp it looks on the Vita. The visuals are literally jumping off the screen. Gameplay and presentation is what would be expected from Disgaea. This is yet another reason I love having the Vita and Plus.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Anyone else playing this now since it went free on Plus? I started it up and am surprised at how damn crisp it looks on the Vita. The visuals are literally jumping off the screen. Gameplay and presentation is what would be expected from Disgaea. This is yet another reason I love having the Vita and Plus.[/QUOTE]

watches the vaule of the cart base sink to nothing and crys LOL

i got this day 1 and never play it more then 3 hours.......though i did get preorder rag and was able to dump it for 25 so ended up paying like 20 for the game

bread's done
Back