Loving v Virginia Acceptance Thread

mykevermin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (97%)
A recent poll that has been widely cited in the context of the MS/AL primaries is the source of much left-wing chuckling.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/03/other-notes-from-alabama-and-mississippi.html

Specifically, this: "There's considerable skepticism about Barack Obama's religion with Republican voters in them. In Mississippi only 12% of voters think Obama's a Christian to 52% who think he's a Muslim and 36% who are not sure. In Alabama just 14% think Obama's a Christian to 45% who think he's a Muslim and 41% who aren't sure."

That's what the media is talking about. That's not what I want to discuss here.

This is what I want to discuss here:

"Alabama's pretty much on board with interracial marriage, with 67% of voters thinking it should be legal to 21% who think it should not be. There's still some skepticism in Mississippi though- only 54% of voters think it should be legal, while 29% believe it should be illegal."

WHAT THE MOTHERfuck?

That seems to be about the most subdued I can be about how I feel about that.

Being intolerant of the intolerant is still intolerance.

Random Trivia: South Carolina was the last state to recognize interracial marriage.

[quote name='KingBroly']Random Trivia: South Carolina was the last state to recognize interracial marriage.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, sometimes it is hard to spot. My cousin (New Jersey Italian) definitely looks Dominican or Puerto Rican with a tan.

I read a serious (ie not the onion) article where someone was arguing that when pollsters ask these two questions, they are legitimizing extreme viewpoints. Because people are exposed to these ideas when we ask the questions, we're introducing bias.

I'm pretty willing to bet the writer hadn't been to 'Bama.

I think the threshold for "crazy dumb motherfuckers" and "people who want to fuck with pollsters" is (combined) around 6%. That's pretty consistently been the average percentage of 'yes' responses when pollsters (not poltical pollsters, mind, but people who use the same methods) ask people if they believe Elvis Presley is still alive.

So even if you factor that in, that's still an alarming % of people against something as banal as interracial marriage. Call me a left-wing extremist, but I think you're a fucking repugnant human being who holds Un-American ideals if you are against interracial marriages.

[quote name='mykevermin']So even if you factor that in, that's still an alarming % of people against something as banal as interracial marriage. Call me a left-wing extremist, but I think you're a fucking repugnant human being who holds Un-American ideals if you are against interracial marriages.[/QUOTE]
As a person of color, it's more complicated than that. Especially when we're not seeing an equal distribution of various mixes relative to their racial/gender population. The fact that we don't have social equality of race makes it problematic when it's mostly white men with non-white women that make up a vast majority of the combinations...there's a bit of a colonizational aspect to it.

Then again, this is the exact opposite reason of white supremacists, but effectively the same thing. Funny how that works out.

[quote name='KingBroly']Being intolerant of the intolerant is still intolerance.

Random Trivia: South Carolina was the last state to recognize interracial marriage.[/QUOTE]
Way to go, Capn'n obvious. What's next, you're going to to tell us that discrimination to correct past wrongs is still discrimination?

[quote name='dohdough']The fact that we don't have social equality of race makes it problematic when it's mostly white men with non-white women that make up a vast majority of the combinations...there's a bit of a colonizational aspect to it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I only know a few interracial married couples and most of them are white women with non-white men (including my closest friend). Interesting.

Damn,I missed last week's Real Time, guess I should go back and watch it. I have to wonder that if they took that same poll here (TN) what the results would be like.

[quote name='Javery']Really? I only know a few interracial married couples and most of them are white women with non-white men (including my closest friend). Interesting.[/QUOTE]

Yup. White men and non-white women make up half of all interracial marriages.

Funny Alabama story, One of my neighbors disapproves of the Black Male/White Female couple across the street.... But he's married to an Asian woman.

[quote name='SpeedyG']Funny Alabama story, One of my neighbors disapproves of the Black Male/White Female couple across the street.... But he's married to an Asian woman.[/QUOTE]
That's because Asians are the "good ones." Kinda like how if they have a black friend, they're one of the "good ones," so they can't be racist!:lol:

The level of dissonance they have would be astounding if it wasn't so prevalent.

[quote name='mykevermin']A recent poll that has been widely cited in the context of the MS/AL primaries is the source of much left-wing chuckling.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/03/other-notes-from-alabama-and-mississippi.html

Specifically, this: "There's considerable skepticism about Barack Obama's religion with Republican voters in them. In Mississippi only 12% of voters think Obama's a Christian to 52% who think he's a Muslim and 36% who are not sure. In Alabama just 14% think Obama's a Christian to 45% who think he's a Muslim and 41% who aren't sure."

That's what the media is talking about. That's not what I want to discuss here.

This is what I want to discuss here:

"Alabama's pretty much on board with interracial marriage, with 67% of voters thinking it should be legal to 21% who think it should not be. There's still some skepticism in Mississippi though- only 54% of voters think it should be legal, while 29% believe it should be illegal."

WHAT THE MOTHERfuck?

That seems to be about the most subdued I can be about how I feel about that.[/QUOTE]

Didn't we just discuss this? Actually, the number of interracial marriages are now 8% of all marriages. The number has really grown over the past 30 years.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315675

I also suspect those poll numbers are skewed slightly by the sample. Aren't they intervewing conserative republicans who are more likely to hold those beliefs anyway? It's not like 29% of ALL missippians believe that. (I hope)

[quote name='eldergamer']I also suspect those poll numbers are skewed slightly by the sample. Aren't they intervewing conserative republicans who are more likely to hold those beliefs anyway? It's not like 29% of ALL missippians believe that. (I hope)[/QUOTE]

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/03/very-close-race-in-both-alabama-and-mississippi.html

The original poll the report in the OP is taken from. Looks like it's representative of all MI/AL voters? Do they have open or closed primaries?

3% D, 76% R, 21% "Independent" (i.e., disenfranchised Republicans, mostly).

6% moderate liberal to liberal, 81% conservative.

So it's a random sample, but it also shows just how strongly southern states skew to the right. It's kinda both Republicans and all Mississippians at the same time.

bread's done
Back