GameStop throwing out pre-owned DS cases (Free Club Nintendo/Square Enix Codes) YMMV

sasukekun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
120 (100%)
While at work, we had to start making more room for Nintendo 3DS games. So I had to start "gutting" all the pre-owned DS games. So all pre-owned DS games now come as cart/game only.

Not sure if this is nation-wide or not, but it's a great way to dumpster dive and score some Club Nintendo/Square Enix codes.

[quote name='Tsel']They've been this way for a while at my Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Ya, we just started today. I probably threw out at least 50+ cases, and there were about 50 more I had to still go through.

I don't work there but last time I went by I saw a half eaten subway sandwich and an empty bottle of that crappy Mana energy drink in the trash can, as always YMMV...

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I don't work there but last time I went by I saw a half eaten subway sandwich and an empty bottle of that crappy Mana energy drink in the trash can, as always YMMV...[/QUOTE]

Score! I hope I'm as lucky

[quote name='needler420']Gamestop dumpster diving is the new thing going on.[/QUOTE]

Along with Best Buy trash compactor diving!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I don't work there but last time I went by I saw a half eaten subway sandwich and an empty bottle of that crappy Mana energy drink in the trash can, as always YMMV...[/QUOTE]

Dude, if you pick up that half eaten sandwich I'll trade some cold fries that have been sitting in my car for about a week.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Dude, if you pick up that half eaten sandwich I'll trade some cold fries that have been sitting in my car for about a week.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I already sold the half eaten sandwich to some stupid soccer mom on Craig's List, she didn't know you could get them new for $5.

Which GS do you work at so I can go pick them up. =P

It's actually kind of sad the amount of shelf space the portables get. ='(

[quote name='Max_Payne22']Gamestop must want to lose sales. Most people probably don't want to buy a DS game with no case.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, most people really don't care about it. We are nothing but a small group.

[quote name='Max_Payne22']Gamestop must want to lose sales. Most people probably don't want to buy a DS game with no case.[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke? I gotta figure at least 85% of their customer base couldn't care less.

This is the 2nd thread in as many days about GS throwing crap out, and CAGs hoping to score free plastic rock band shite or a Nintendo code by swimming in the dumpster.

Do whatever makes you happy, just be aware of the risks you take...once you know someone who's been inadvertently stuck by a needle and now has contracted hep-c for life...it might make you want to reconsider that plastic DS game case.

[quote name='KtMack23']Is this a joke? I gotta figure at least 85% of their customer base couldn't care less.[/QUOTE]

I agree because if more customers cared then GS probably would not do this. I'm in the other 15% though :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not worth it, dumpster diving is illegal in most places that I know of, especially when the dumpsters are marked private property as they are here. Moreover, its disgusting, especially if you are going for only a few cases (if there are better things, then I can see doing it) but really, its not worth having a criminal record for what is in there!!!

I would assume that employees would pick the codes before the cases were tossed out anyways.

[quote name='JoshTX']This is the 2nd thread in as many days about GS throwing crap out, and CAGs hoping to score free plastic rock band shite or a Nintendo code by swimming in the dumpster.

Do whatever makes you happy, just be aware of the risks you take...once you know someone who's been inadvertently stuck by a needle and now has contracted hep-c for life...it might make you want to reconsider that plastic DS game case.[/QUOTE]
That's why ya take a pokey stick with ya n use that for rooting around in said dumpster first. But definitely steer clear of GS stores in the same shopping center as a tattoo/piercing joint cuz ya never know then.:shock:
[quote name='Dranakin']I have a Square Enix code from Deus Ex. What's that used for?[/QUOTE]
It's used on the S-E site to get to certain 'tiers' by the end of the year to get prizes. A couple of years ago they gave away iPods with some custom artwork on them. I think last year was some sorta lithograph.

I can't stand caseless games, only exception is if I spend less than $5 on said game. But even then I make the GameStop employee get me a generic case everytime. Usually I get eyes rolled at me everytime, one guy even was telling me a few weeks back that they "had none." I knew that was bullshit but the guy didn't screw with me and went and gave me one that had a Saints Row 3 ad in it. Not sure why he still had that as that game came out months ago. Guess they don't throw everything away, only the valuable stuff.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Dude, if you pick up that half eaten sandwich I'll trade some cold fries that have been sitting in my car for about a week.[/QUOTE]

since he sold the sandwhich already ill trade you a 3 month old taco bell burrito.

[quote name='Dranakin']I have a Square Enix code from Deus Ex. What's that used for?[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

This is old news as FailStop has been doing this for a while. I've banned them for years, but ever since they starting doing that, my fiancee now bans them as well as she is a DS collector.

Small bunch we are, but we are still customers. But GameStop thrives on the mass that don't know any better/ don't give a fuck. As long as they get their CoD and their kids to STFU, they don't care.

I love how they throw out cases and sell disc/cart only games at full price but then you get a dick employee that tries to hit you with a refurb fee for trading a game with no case. It's always fun to call them out on that!

Yeah. That's always hilarious. I called them out on it the one time by marking my disc/packaging that I traded in that they needed to 'refurb' and went back in the next day. They hadn't sent it out and instead put it out for sale. So I whipped out my receipt n called them out on it after asking to see the disc n pretending like I was gonna buy my own copy back.;)

They didn't know what to say.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's why ya take a pokey stick with ya n use that for rooting around in said dumpster first. But definitely steer clear of GS stores in the same shopping center as a tattoo/piercing joint cuz ya never know then.:shock:[/QUOTE]

I just got off from a late night at work, and was catching up on this thread. I just read this quintessential IATCG, make you spew your drink out of your mouth-post, and had to re-iterate that Cheapest is one of the main people who truly make this site worth being on.

Bravo, and thank you good sir.

:applause:

[quote name='sgaldis']I just got off from a late night at work, and was catching up on this thread. I just read this quintessential IATCG, make you spew your drink out of your mouth-post, and had to re-iterate that Cheapest is one of the main people who truly make this site worth being on.

Bravo, and thank you good sir.

:applause:[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I'll be here till Saturday. Try the veal.;)

[quote name='kayne2000']just going to post this here

http://www.ranprieur.com/misc/dumpster.html

ive seen it on TV too[/QUOTE]

"So do you ever sell stuff you find?

"That violates my personal moral code, which is that it's wrong to sell something for more than I paid for it. Did Robin Hood steal from the rich and sell to the poor? If I siphon off stuff that other dumpster divers need for personal use, and then sell it, that's stealing from the poor and selling cheap to the rich! If you can't even give away something for free that you got for free, you have misplaced your soul."

CAG confirmed for being soulless bastards. :lol:

[quote name='sayu']"So do you ever sell stuff you find?

"That violates my personal moral code, which is that it's wrong to sell something for more than I paid for it. Did Robin Hood steal from the rich and sell to the poor? If I siphon off stuff that other dumpster divers need for personal use, and then sell it, that's stealing from the poor and selling cheap to the rich! If you can't even give away something for free that you got for free, you have misplaced your soul."

CAG confirmed for being soulless bastards. :lol:[/QUOTE]

yep. i think hes lieing though lol

[quote name='SaraAB']Not worth it, dumpster diving is illegal in most places that I know of, especially when the dumpsters are marked private property as they are here. Moreover, its disgusting, especially if you are going for only a few cases (if there are better things, then I can see doing it) but really, its not worth having a criminal record for what is in there!!![/QUOTE]

Though I am with you that dumpster diving isn't worth it, it's highly unlikely that you will end up with a criminal record. More than likely, if anyone even notices you back there, they will tell you take a hike. Worst case scenario, if a copy does get a involved, he will probably tell you the same thing...take a hike. A lot of times, stores have a hard enough time getting cops to shop when they catch a shoplifter. Imagine the wait time when you tell them you want them to bust a dumpster diver.

[quote name='SaraAB']Not worth it, dumpster diving is illegal in most places that I know of, especially when the dumpsters are marked private property as they are here. Moreover, its disgusting, especially if you are going for only a few cases (if there are better things, then I can see doing it) but really, its not worth having a criminal record for what is in there!!![/QUOTE]

Actually, dumpster diving isn't illegal anywhere in the US. In 1988 the US Supreme Court ruled that garbage is public property (California v. Greenwood, 486 U.S. 35). Once you have place garbage outside for collection it is considered to have been abandoned and enters the realm of public access.

This was actually a pretty major ruling that police use to their advantage all the time when attempting to gather evidence without a search warrant.

What I really dont understand is that a lot of the GS's that throw out the DS cases still keep the cases for Gamecube & PS2 Games. DS cases take up less space and the games can be played by current consoles, while PS2 & Gamecube games are bigger and can only be played by certain models of the current consoles. As a collector, I hate the thought of them throwing away cases/manuals for any systems, but if they were going to do it, at least do it for the less playable systems.

I hit 15 stores in Orlando on Saturday and only 1 store still had their cases. They had tons of rarities which could have been complete when they were traded in.

[quote name='scott_matthews']Actually, dumpster diving isn't illegal anywhere in the US. In 1988 the US Supreme Court ruled that garbage is public property (California v. Greenwood, 486 U.S. 35). Once you have place garbage outside for collection it is considered to have been abandoned and enters the realm of public access.

This was actually a pretty major ruling that police use to their advantage all the time when attempting to gather evidence without a search warrant.[/QUOTE]

I didn't comment on that post because I wasn't sure it was truly illegal either.

I work for a hospital police department at a large metropolitan hospital, and the way we handle it is by giving out criminal trespass warnings to people found digging in the dumpsters.

Because the dumpsters are on hospital property, it basically gives us the ability to tell people we don't want them there and to leave. The way it works is they are issued a paper warning with a case number that says they are trespassing and are basically "banned" from the entire facility. There are no formal charges pressed, but the persons info is put into the system. If the person returns to the establishment again, they get arrested on a misdemeanor C trespassing charge.

[quote name='skiizim']Which GS do you work at so I can go pick them up. =P

It's actually kind of sad the amount of shelf space the portables get. ='(

I doubt it, most people really don't care about it. We are nothing but a small group.[/QUOTE]

we ARE the 1%. Lol.. Actually, I think CAG is a LOT more popular than you may think.

[quote name='JoshTX']I didn't comment on that post because I wasn't sure it was truly illegal either.

I work for a hospital police department at a large metropolitan hospital, and the way we handle it is by giving out criminal trespass warnings to people found digging in the dumpsters.

Because the dumpsters are on hospital property, it basically gives us the ability to tell people we don't want them there and to leave. The way it works is they are issued a paper warning with a case number that says they are trespassing and are basically "banned" from the entire facility. There are no formal charges pressed, but the persons info is put into the system. If the person returns to the establishment again, they get arrested on a misdemeanor C trespassing charge.[/QUOTE]
yay lets arrest people for digging through trash. the horrorz.

pointless laws like this are killing the world.

not blaming you as you just work there but you get the point

[quote name='kayne2000']yay lets arrest people for digging through trash. the horrorz.

pointless laws like this are killing the world.

not blaming you as you just work there but you get the point[/QUOTE]

I don't get the point. Giving a warning first is more than reasonable. How would you like to go outside your home and find a bunch of strangers standing in your backyard, digging through your trash?

And save the melodrama about killing the world. The world has much more bigger issues than trespassing laws.

[quote name='salty tbone']I don't get the point. Giving a warning first is more than reasonable. How would you like to go outside your home and find a bunch of strangers standing in your backyard, digging through your trash?

And save the melodrama about killing the world. The world has much more bigger issues than trespassing laws.[/QUOTE]

Come on guys, is it worth it? Better off buying it. How do we know if its the Nintendo brand or those crappy gamestop ones.

[quote name='salty tbone']I don't get the point. Giving a warning first is more than reasonable. How would you like to go outside your home and find a bunch of strangers standing in your backyard, digging through your trash?

And save the melodrama about killing the world. The world has much more bigger issues than trespassing laws.[/QUOTE]

they are more than welcome to take my trash(saves me having to take it to the side of the road on wednesday night) if thats all they want they are welcome to it. but rest assured it is truely trash. but maybe they can find use out of broken class shredded papers and other junk. regardless ive deemed it trash. i really dont care what happens to after that.

that was sort of my point the world has bigger problems than enforcing trespassing laws over digging through trash.

Our concern as a hospital is the risk of infection. As I mentioned in my other post, there's a risk of infection through needle stick to things like HIV/Aids, Hepatitis C, or staphylococcus. Believe me, those things all suck, and avoiding them far outweighs the benefit of anything you'll find in the dumpster.

Our intent is not to jam up the court system with a bunch of people, mostly mentally Ill, with trespassing charges. It's more to keep those same people from becoming permanent fixtures in the clinic or ER.

[quote name='GUNNM']The world is kinda overpopulated if they wanna die dumpster diving let them[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty ignorant comment, not to mention fairly sadistic.

People infected by diseases digging through garbage are not going to "die" immediately. They are going to end up requiring a ton of medication which you and I as taxpayers will end up paying for through the Medicaid system.

My GSes dumped the DS cases a lot time ago. It really sucks that they do that... I loved their B2G1F sales because it was the best time to get DS games but that's no longer the case.

bread's done
Back