starting a business

sendme

CAGiversary!
I'm wondering if any one on here has started their own business. I'm thinking of opening my own pub and was wondering if anyone has any tips on starting my own business.

I worked in fast food back in high school. I also have friends that are willing to help that have worked in both.

[quote name='sendme']I worked in fast food back in high school. I also have friends that are willing to help that have worked in both.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I worked at a grocery store in high school, I'll be opening up my own store next week.
Kidding aside, good luck but I don't think now is the time to open a new pub/restaurant.

[quote name='sendme']I worked in fast food back in high school. I also have friends that are willing to help that have worked in both.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not really the kind of experience that means much.

If this is the industry that you're really trying to get into, I would suggest becoming a bartender at an already established pub or bar and trying to work your way up to being a manager while soaking up everything you possibly can about how the business is ran.

I'm not saying it's impossible to start from scratch with little to no experience, other than reading some books or something, but learning it along the way will likely end in failure or a lot of mistakes that will hit you hard financially.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any idea on how you would get funding for this business? It's definitely not cheap.

During the time when I used to work in a bar, we replaced our touchscreen ordering system and our sound system and I think those were somewhere in the ballpark of $60,000 and $15,000, respectively. I'm not saying every setup will cost that much (especially because the place I worked at was actually kind of large), but I'm just trying to show that things can get really expensive, really fast. Now just think about kitchen equipment, paying a contractor to remodel the place the way you want it, decor, televisions (I assume a pub would have them?), etc.

If you were to buy an already established business, so you could basically just walk in and change what you saw fit, you'd likely catch a little bit of a break over starting from nothing, but depending on what you want to change it could still get really expensive beyond the asking price from the previous owner.

The truth is, if you're posting "I'm thinking of starting a pub, does anyone have any tips on starting my own business?" instead of "How do I go about pricing food, any tips on how to find distributors, how do I get an ABC license, etc." it means that you have a lot more research to do and experience to acquire before this idea would be feasible.

Best of luck, but I recommend that you do your research and think about this more before you start looking for a place to rent or buy for your new pub ;).

I second most of blindlights examples. But I'd also caution you that having a nice place with cheap food isn't necessarily enough to get people to come to your place.

There are lots of options out there so you need to think why would people come to my club. You need to know the competition in your area and know how you can build an atmosphere that drives people to your establishment and from your competitors. It is probably going to take alot of upfront capital to develop an establishment that people want to go to.

Starting from scratch can be a blessing too. If you are walking in as the new owner of a previously failed establishment, you are stuck with a lot of equipment that led to the failure of the business. At least with a new establishment you can set up your theme and menus in advance and plan how to get there from there. Either way, it is most likely going to take a lot more capital than what you expect.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I second most of blindlights examples. But I'd also caution you that having a nice place with cheap food isn't necessarily enough to get people to come to your place.

There are lots of options out there so you need to think why would people come to my club. You need to know the competition in your area and know how you can build an atmosphere that drives people to your establishment and from your competitors. It is probably going to take alot of upfront capital to develop an establishment that people want to go to.[/QUOTE]

Great point, I've seen awesome restaurants and bars with great service, food, and atmosphere close up in no time because the owners didn't understand why location and potential customer base were important.

Before Walmart builds a new store they always do a traffic study at the potential location to see if however many thousand cars drive by every day. They do this to find out if there's enough potential customers to support a store being built. Similarly, you would need to find out if your area has enough people that would support your establishment.

I know that isn't really any experience at all. It would be the closest that I have. I went yesterday to a bank to see what type of loan I would be able to get. The guy I talked to gave me some help and said that I would need 20% down. So as of right now unless I found a place that was cheaper to buy I would have to put 50 grand down. I don't make that a year so it doesn't look like it will happen for some time.

The place I was looking at is next to a highway and is on the main road in the town. We have no Irish pubs in this town so it would be different. All we have are bars that may or may not have food. So I would think it would work seeing how it is different than what the town currently has and would be located next to an interstate.

You need some skills in management, skills in the background work (that you will be doing) and capital. First thing first though, you need a startegic plan or a gameplan, which leads to choosing location, coming up with ideas and raising some awareness.

It is not easy, but if you can do all of those then you will be successful!

[quote name='sendme']I'm wondering if any one on here has started their own business. I'm thinking of opening my own pub and was wondering if anyone has any tips on starting my own business.[/QUOTE]

Hey, OP have you ever seen the Spike tv show Bar Rescue? It might give you some insight into the bar business and what it involves and takes to succeed. They've got the episodes online for free:
http://www.spike.com/shows/bar-rescue

They also have an educational, small business resource they linked up with:
http://www.score.org/resources/spike-tv-serve-up-success

There is a great deal of various items that is required for a small business... You should start with http://www.sba.gov/

I recommend taking a few college courses in business, they will really help. These courses will give you the resources you would need to open a business.

where do you plan to start your business? location is very important depending on the type of business you have. definelty want to look into security bars attract and create assholes. liquor license and whats the theme of your pub going to be? im assuimg since youre calling it a pub it may be irish themed.

[quote name='sendme']I know that isn't really any experience at all. It would be the closest that I have. I went yesterday to a bank to see what type of loan I would be able to get. The guy I talked to gave me some help and said that I would need 20% down. So as of right now unless I found a place that was cheaper to buy I would have to put 50 grand down. I don't make that a year so it doesn't look like it will happen for some time.

The place I was looking at is next to a highway and is on the main road in the town. We have no Irish pubs in this town so it would be different. All we have are bars that may or may not have food. So I would think it would work seeing how it is different than what the town currently has and would be located next to an interstate.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the cost of applying for a liquor license. Plus the fact that, depending on your local government, you may need to grease a few palms.

[quote name='road3283']Hey, OP have you ever seen the Spike tv show Bar Rescue? It might give you some insight into the bar business and what it involves and takes to succeed. They've got the episodes online for free:
http://www.spike.com/shows/bar-rescue[/QUOTE]

Nothing against you but that show is completely full of shit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...on-goes-bust/2012/03/14/gIQAu9NpCS_story.html

bread's done
Back