CAGcast #276: My Back Hurts and I'm Doing a Podcast

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]More spoiler-free Mass Effect 3 talk, plus Kid Icarus, Yakuza: Dead Souls and somebody's back hurts.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]185[/podcast]
Download - 76 minutes, 45MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Got the Groove (SM Trax) / Mount Airy Lodge Commercial

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always jealous at how fast Cheapy can churn these out. I'm currently editing my own show from LAST week.

So, so timely.

Still listening, but a quick note on Mass Effect DLC as it relates to Kasumi: if you never bought the Kasumi DLC pack for ME2 (I didn't) she actually never shows up in the game. I suppose its neat that the game even takes into account your time (or lack thereof) with the dlc, but it would have been neat to meet that character. Not a big deal though.

Sometimes I think Wombat has a hook for a right hand or something. I am left handed and have no trouble playing my Wii or DS games.

Almost everything is made for right handed people. It's time to accept that and learn to adapt.

Don't pick Thorbahn, pick me for the contest

I think the Hot Shots Golf developers have a nazi fetish. I remember that goofy guy in Out of Bounds kept giving a Sieg Heil salute. Obviously the whole series is nazi propaganda looking to indoctrinate the golf community.

Operation Raccoon City is fun. I haven't been able to get find than 1 real person in the campaign mode at a time though. And the AI partners can't revive you so they're worthless. And you can't pick what level you want to play when you search for a campaign quick match. And there's only 7 levels, about 20 - 30 minutes each. And you can kill full-health enemy players with one brutal kill move, which is pretty much a game breaker since they can withstand about three clips worth of ammo from any gun. But it's still fun.

I'd trade any possible gifts/awards on CAG for a copy of Binary Domain. That game is one of the very extremely few that have hit a note with me, in the past handful of years. I love the premise and from the demo, I love the execution.

If I don't lose my unemployment support I will definitely be picking it up when it hits $29.99 or so!

Shipwreck, the leader designer of Ninja Gaiden 3 was Hayashi, who headed up Sigma 1 and 2 as well as helped with Other M. You know, he's the guy Itagaki called an idiot to his face in an interview.

And Wombat, Kid Icarus Uprising has like 6 different control schemes, with or without the Circle Pad Pro.

Wombat, you can drop the Jets and follow the Eagles, right down the street, you can still hate the Giants and we have a QB that hosts Dog Fights which is much less offensive then someone who is sincere for his life as a Christian.

For the record, the language spoken in Sine Mora (which itself is Latin for "Without Delay") is Hungarian and not Japanese or gibberish. Seriously, what is it with you Americans and your inability to distinguish languages?

KingBroly is right Wombat, how can you say that it's hard for you to play Kid Icarus if the developers were so kind enough to put in these options. Did you at least try them all?

@Axersia To be fair, Americans already have a hard enough time speaking the English.

[quote name='Axersia']For the record, the language spoken in Sine Mora (which itself is Latin for "Without Delay") is Hungarian and not Japanese or gibberish. Seriously, what is it with you Americans and your inability to distinguish languages?[/QUOTE]

I think expecting me to be able to identify Hungarian is giving a guy from Ohio way too much credit. I could identify the language from Banjo & Kazooie more readily than Hungarian.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']KingBroly is right Wombat, how can you say that it's hard for you to play Kid Icarus if the developers were so kind enough to put in these options. Did you at least try them all?

@Axersia To be fair, Americans already have a hard enough time speaking the English.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a 3DS, my thoughts were based on Shipwreck's description. Did you at least listen to the show?

[quote name='Wombat']I don't have a 3DS, my thoughts were based on Shipwreck's description. Did you at least listen to the show?[/QUOTE]

Does anyone?

Also I wasn't listening to this post. Can you mention the name of what game you're talking about again please?

[quote name='COULD432']Still listening, but a quick note on Mass Effect DLC as it relates to Kasumi: if you never bought the Kasumi DLC pack for ME2 (I didn't) she actually never shows up in the game. I suppose its neat that the game even takes into account your time (or lack thereof) with the dlc, but it would have been neat to meet that character. Not a big deal though.[/QUOTE]

To me, the Kasumi DLC is a great argument for day 1 dlc.

I purchased it the day it came out, but I was already done playing ME2, so I did her mission and that was that. Already, had I been able to use her throughout my playthrough, it would have made that a better $7 value, but as it stood, I got to use her in one mission. (still not complaining, it was entirely worthwhile)

And then, when I imported my ME2 character to ME3, I chose the save file from when the game was completed, so I had not yet played Kasumi's mission. I had NO IDEA that she was in ME3 at all until I saw my fiancee run into her.

If the Kasumi DLC was available on day 1 I would have had her for my whole playthrough and I would have had access to her content in Mass Effect 3.

Yes, I could just replay both games.. but its not a great solution compared to "just buy the DLC whenever you want or not at all"

Also, I disagree with Wombat's argument about the Shadow broker stuff. The events there essentially took place between ME2 and 3(the timeline really isn't important since it has no bearing on the story of ME2). I can think of dozens of movies where characters go on living between the slices of their lives that we get to see in their sequels. Essentially all you need to figure out is "Liara is now the shadowbroker". I have to assume it's explained in the ME3 Codex if you need more information about that.

Cheapy, you checked in with a doctor? It might be a pinched nerve or something like that in your backbone. It can be an issue if not checked. Sounds serious.

Shippy, Sine Mora uses Hungarian voice actors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat, please educate us on factual evidence where Tim Tebow is on the record as being anti women's rights and anti gay.

I have no interest in the guy one way or the other. But if you feel that strongly about him that you're willing to drop the Jets as your football team, I'm sure you must have more information than just hearsay or gut feelings, yes?

edit:

And the Shadow Broker example is a poor one for Bioware "changing canon". Anyone that has played ME1 or ME2 knows who the Shadow Broker is, he was a (minor) part of the main story in both games. And anyone that is playing ME3 without having played ME1 or ME2 would not have access to the Shadow Broker dlc anyways.

Plus "changing canon" is not what your examples are doing anyways. Sandman killing Uncle Ben in Spiderman 3 is changing canon. Shadow Broker and From Ashes just enhance and add layers to the core story.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']Wombat, please educate us on factual evidence where Tim Tebow is on the record as being anti women's rights and anti gay.

I have no interest in the guy one way or the other. But if you feel that strongly about him that you're willing to drop the Jets as your football team, I'm sure you must have more information than just hearsay or gut feelings, yes?

edit:

And the Shadow Broker example is a poor one for Bioware "changing canon". Anyone that has played ME1 or ME2 knows who the Shadow Broker is, he was a (minor) part of the main story in both games. And anyone that is playing ME3 without having played ME1 or ME2 would not have access to the Shadow Broker dlc anyways.

Plus "changing canon" is not what your examples are doing anyways. Sandman killing Uncle Ben in Spiderman 3 is changing canon. Shadow Broker and From Ashes just enhance and add layers to the core story.[/QUOTE]

If you think the Shadow Broker is a "He", we have two different canons. Also Tebow has done ads for Focus on the Family, who are anti-choice & anti-gay marriage.

[quote name='smoger']To me, the Kasumi DLC is a great argument for day 1 dlc.

I purchased it the day it came out, but I was already done playing ME2, so I did her mission and that was that. Already, had I been able to use her throughout my playthrough, it would have made that a better $7 value, but as it stood, I got to use her in one mission. (still not complaining, it was entirely worthwhile)

And then, when I imported my ME2 character to ME3, I chose the save file from when the game was completed, so I had not yet played Kasumi's mission. I had NO IDEA that she was in ME3 at all until I saw my fiancee run into her.
[/QUOTE]

You are highlighting my point. I don't think it is fair to the consumer to create content that costs extra, where you only get the full benefit by buying it before you finish the game. I love extra content and good DLC, that extends my experience after the story, like Borderlands did so well for example. I just paid 60 bucks let me enjoy that, and hopeful when I finished the game I will want to spend more. But this type of DLC you have buy early, it’s a poor choice by Bioware. I don't care f they release it on day one or day 101.

[quote name='Wombat']If you think the Shadow Broker is a "He", we have two different canons. [/QUOTE]

Way to deflect. Shadow Broker is in the main games, the Shadow Broker dlc doesn't do anything to change the fact that Liara is the Shadow Broker in ME3. It only gives you insight into how it happened.

Also Tebow has done ads for Focus on the Family, who are anti-choice & anti-gay marriage.
He's done multiple ads? I've only seen the one where he said he was glad he wasn't aborted.

Does being part of a religious group automatically mean you agree with everything a group stands for? Is every Catholic anti birth control?

Show Notes:

06:30 - Show Feedback
10:15 - New Releases
10:15 - RE: Raccoon City
12:30 - Ninja Gaiden III
15:30 - Armored Core 5
18:45 - Sine Mora
21:30 - Dirt III Complete
23:15 - Kid Icarus Uprising
26:30 - Rayman 3/Origins
27:00 - Deals
30:30 - Mass Effect 3 ending controversy
44:15 - Saints Row III
45:15 - Darkness II
49:30 - Tebowmania
50:15 - Amazing Spider-man
56:00 - Cheapy forces Wombat to buy Journey
57:15 - Hot Shots Golf
59:45 - Yakuza Dead Souls
62:00 - Halo Anniversary
62:30 - Xenoblade
65:00 - iPad 3
66:00 - Poker Pals
67:00 - Mailbag

Man, compare BioWare before EA and after being bought by EA. What used to be one of the most beloved developers has turned into a ridiculous money grabbing machine. Sad.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']Way to deflect. Shadow Broker is in the main games, the Shadow Broker dlc doesn't do anything to change the fact that Liara is the Shadow Broker in ME3. It only gives you insight into how it happened.

He's done multiple ads? I've only seen the one where he said he was glad he wasn't aborted.

Does being part of a religious group automatically mean you agree with everything a group stands for? Is every Catholic anti birth control?[/QUOTE]

FOTF isn't a religious group it is a hate group.

The From Ashes DLC absolutely should have been in the game, it expands on the story so much and gives you new perspectives.

As to whether it was in the game or not originally, there's a couple possibilities...first say you are a developer and you have a game with a really tight budget, people are getting a great value. You want to add a bit more, so you add $10 DLC.

Second possibility, similar scenario but you're owned by a megacorp that wants to squeeze out every last dollar and knows there will be terrific demand. So you take out an important part of the game and sell it as an extra. It's pretty obvious what happened with ME3.

Personally I rarely rarely do DLC (all I've bought this generation is the two Geometry Wars games and two Halo map packs) so I just youtubed all the DLC as it came out. An inferior experience, yes, but good enough for me, and I don't have to play into EA's BS.

Re repeating the name of the game being discussed more than once, I _really_like that idea if it's done in a subtle way. I'm usually doing something or other while listening to podcasts (cooking, cleaning, exercising, driving, on the bus/train, playing video games etc etc) so it'd be helpful and would save me some rewinding.

Cheapy - With regard to your back problem... I think stress can be a contributing factor, making your muscles more tense and prone to getting aggravated, but it's probably not the cause. As you get older, there will probably more things that will trigger the pain... bad posture, lifting incorrectly, twisting, stress, etc.

The biggest argument against Cheapys book analogy, is that when an author publishes a book that is way more finite, than putting it in a video game. No one is going to go buy the same book for a different ending. However, with digital media the way it is today it is much easier for Bioware to change and EASILY DISTRIBUTE a new ending and then just as easily play it off like they are giving us the privilege of a 'new ending' I love Bioware as much as the next guy, but how about making this new ending, free? Yeah, I'm asking for it. Free.

And this is how ironic Bioware's marketing is. I'm aware of all of this. I do not own a 360. I haven't played Mass Effect. Sometimes I play Call of Duty. And I've never even played Mass Effect! (It's my plan this summer a game a month). But I'm a heavy duty PS3 guy. But why am I so engulfed in this franchise that I have nothing to do with!

That's good marketing.

[quote name='Wombat']FOTF isn't a religious group it is a hate group.[/QUOTE]

The NFL is full of homophobes and sexists, better just give up the sport.

[quote name='Wombat']FOTF isn't a religious group it is a hate group.[/QUOTE]
Wombat, I think you're being trolled. The dude clearly has a man-crush on Tim Tebow.

I don't have any opinion on Tim Tebow other than I think he is a terrible quarterback. I just found it a bit of a knee jerk reaction by Wombat.

According to the Bombcast, "Arrival" is the ME2 DLC that you need to play before starting ME3. Not because it's good, but because its story leads directly into the beginning of ME3.

[quote name='Curufinwe']According to the Bombcast, "Arrival" is the ME2 DLC that you need to play before starting ME3. Not because it's good, but because its story leads directly into the beginning of ME3.[/QUOTE]

This is what I thought Wombat was going to mention. Instead he talked about the Shadow Broker DLC which honestly is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. I've played ME3 on PC importing a ME2 file without DLC and on 360 with a ME2 file that did all the DLC and it really doesn't impact the shadow broker stuff at all. However, they sort of just casually mention that you
destroyed a mass relay and killed tons of batarians
without any context whatsoever if you didn't play the Arrival DLC.

EDIT: Also, the shadow broker is a HE in the context that poster described him. Unless Wombat considers this a woman.

Shadow_Broker_Combat.png

[quote name='DragoonKnight']This is what I thought Wombat was going to mention. Instead he talked about the Shadow Broker DLC which honestly is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. I've played ME3 on PC importing a ME2 file without DLC and on 360 with a ME2 file that did all the DLC and it really doesn't impact the shadow broker stuff at all. However, they sort of just casually mention that you
destroyed a mass relay and killed tons of batarians
without any context whatsoever if you didn't play the Arrival DLC.

EDIT: Also, the shadow broker is a HE in the context that poster described him. Unless Wombat considers this a woman.

[/QUOTE]

That is not my Shadow Broker in ME3

You directly responded to a quote that was referencing the Shadow Broker in ME1 and ME2, which that Shadow Broker is. Please stop referring to YOUR Shadow Broker because everyone's Shadow Broker is exactly the same. Which is why I am arguing the DLC does not change the canon at all.

[quote name='DragoonKnight']You directly responded to a quote that was referencing the Shadow Broker in ME1 and ME2, which that Shadow Broker is. Please stop referring to YOUR Shadow Broker because everyone's Shadow Broker is exactly the same. Which is why I am arguing the DLC does not change the canon at all.[/QUOTE]

And he ignored me too when I pointed out the same and just said his Shadow Broker is a girl. Never let facts get in the way of an opinion I guess.

[quote name='DragoonKnight']You directly responded to a quote that was referencing the Shadow Broker in ME1 and ME2, which that Shadow Broker is. Please stop referring to YOUR Shadow Broker because everyone's Shadow Broker is exactly the same. Which is why I am arguing the DLC does not change the canon at all.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so if you don't do the Shadow Broker DLC, that weird alien creature is still the shadow broker in ME3? Cause if it isn't, and it's now Liara, then that's changing canon.

Well, more like, happening off panel canon I guess...

Liara is the Shadow Broker in ME3 no matter what. Which is the whole point of the dlc does NOT "change the canon". It just gives you insight into how she became the SB.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Wait, so if you don't do the Shadow Broker DLC, that weird alien creature is still the shadow broker in ME3? Cause if it isn't, and it's now Liara, then that's changing canon.

Well, more like, happening off panel canon I guess...[/QUOTE]

Liara is always the Shadow Broker. That's the canon. No matter what you do she will always be the Shadow Broker. Just because something happens off-screen doesn't change the fact that it's still the canon.

[quote name='DragoonKnight']Liara is always the Shadow Broker. That's the canon. No matter what you do she will always be the Shadow Broker. Just because something happens off-screen doesn't change the fact that it's still the canon.[/QUOTE]

Yes, then you are right, that is the canon. Still how she took over it is a large plot point, that I can see being confusing for someone who hasn't played the DLC. Which was more of the point I was trying to make.

I was also confused as you guys made it sound as though you still had the old Shadow Broker in your ME3 game.

[quote name='DragoonKnight']Liara is always the Shadow Broker. That's the canon. No matter what you do she will always be the Shadow Broker. Just because something happens off-screen doesn't change the fact that it's still the canon.[/QUOTE]

Then the same applies with the Arrival. Happened off screen, but it still happened and is now canon.

I think the main complaint is player canon. If they go into ME3 expecting the Shadow Broker as a mysterious character in space like a more secretive Illusive Man, then suddenly it's Liara...then that's a sudden WTF happened moment that isn't explained. Or at least I'm guessing it isn't explained.

bread's done
Back