* * * * * 1 votes

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition - 1600 points

#151 AshesofWake   chum is fum CAGiversary!   4614 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

AshesofWake

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Just an update on my frozen game. Looks like the progress was not saved at all even when there was the autosave thingy flashing up top. so again save often guys :(

#152 Danger Zone: Archer   Not really here. CAGiversary!   2784 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Danger Zone: Archer

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

i thought this was easy, turns out this game is even hard in easy mode!!!

tumblr_n9z0r22HLi1rn2chmo1_250.gif

Check out my Lowball: PS1 up  for Grabs and A lot  of Graphic Novels !

https://www.cheapass...c-novels/page-1

#153 FellOpenIan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1243 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

FellOpenIan

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

The 360 version makes it easy to save before you dick around and then quit-out/quit-to-dash if things go sideways. Not exactly in keeping with the nature of the game but I guess you can always alt+F4 or whatever on PC too. (the new client and server merging might change that a bit though)

The autosave storage box icon indicates that it's saving your inventory rather than the world. That makes total sense in multiplayer for non-hosts but it definitely should have been outlined more clearly. (kinda bullshit really for single-player/local people)
sudo mklove

#154 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5005 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Played the demo Friday and just fell in love with it. I can't wait to get some points so I can pick this up.

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#155 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15146 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

We should get the hockey gang together for some Minecraft multipayer once you get it.

#156 Dark Rider   The Bus Guy CAGiversary!   2763 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

I have been trying to play online today and seem to be encountering a glitch. I will join a friends world and only a small circular area will spawn (Around 150 blocks long), the rest will be blue emptiness and once you fall off the edge you will keep falling until you exit.
Has anyone else had this problem? Ideas on how to fix it?

Now this I can fap to.

#157 FellOpenIan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1243 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

FellOpenIan

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

That sounds like lag. The last time I saw it it was blackness, you could see through the world, and blocks would disappear/reappear while mining/placing. (PC version mind you and it was some time ago in beta)
sudo mklove

#158 AshesofWake   chum is fum CAGiversary!   4614 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

AshesofWake

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

The 360 version makes it easy to save before you dick around and then quit-out/quit-to-dash if things go sideways. Not exactly in keeping with the nature of the game but I guess you can always alt+F4 or whatever on PC too. (the new client and server merging might change that a bit though)

The autosave storage box icon indicates that it's saving your inventory rather than the world. That makes total sense in multiplayer for non-hosts but it definitely should have been outlined more clearly. (kinda bullshit really for single-player/local people)

Before it froze on me when I forgot to save. I've had it freeze on me twice while saving and it didn't save anything. Sigh. It's ok its one of those games where I don't mind playing from scratch over and over haha.

#159 advanced   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2944 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

I've played the demo for about 6 hours (really enjoyed it) and I got points to buy it, but I don't know if I will for a while. I just don't know if it will hold my attention long.

Is there any story mode or anything? Or is it all open sandbox, do what you want, no missions/story, building fun-time?

#160 FellOpenIan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1243 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

FellOpenIan

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

Well Adventure Updates have been applied to the PC version which brought about things like experience, villages and dungeons but the long-fabled Adventure Mode has yet to see the light of day.

So even the latest snapshot on PC is still a do what you want sandbox without typical game elements/structure like missions and story.
sudo mklove

#161 goodbyetonight   ice princess CAGiversary!   779 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

goodbyetonight

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Well I finally found some wolves in my game, but still nothing doing for sugar cane. I even started a new world and couldn't find any there either. I just want caaaakeeeeeeee.

98799.png

#162 Ryuukishi   What a lovely day!! CAGiversary!   10814 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

I got lucky; found a couple of sugarcanes across a body of water, but visible from where I initially spawned. I just figured out all the farming stuff yesterday. There's a lot to do in this game.

Ryuukishi634.png

#163 advanced   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2944 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well Adventure Updates have been applied to the PC version which brought about things like experience, villages and dungeons but the long-fabled Adventure Mode has yet to see the light of day.

So even the latest snapshot on PC is still a do what you want sandbox without typical game elements/structure like missions and story.

Thanks. I'm still on the fence. I'll have to see if my brother digs it so we can play together. Or my girlfriend.

#164 macontosh2000   Dirty Scumbag CAGiversary!   775 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

macontosh2000

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

I set up this Water/Lava room underground and really liked it, so i decided to set up a Water/Lava mote for around my house. Spent hours landscaping the area, put the water on one side, loved the way it looked. Stared to put lava on the other it was working great, went to get more lava and when i turned around half my house was gone/on fire!:hot:

macontosh2000 Quote of the Day (or whenever i choose to change it)

"Drug companies are like high school boyfriends: they are more interested in getting inside you than in being effective once they are there"

John Oliver, Last Week Tonight

#165 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16438 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

I set up this Water/Lava room underground and really liked it, so i decided to set up a Water/Lava mote for around my house. Spent hours landscaping the area, put the water on one side, loved the way it looked. Stared to put lava on the other it was working great, went to get more lava and when i turned around half my house was gone/on fire!:hot:

Ah, that sucks, dude, haha. Nothing could ever top this guy though. I laugh no matter how many times I watch this.

#166 Ziv   Jerk Extreme CAGiversary!   1676 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Speaking of water and lava, what does it take to mine obsidian? I was trying to avoid the remaining lava and couldn't read the text box that popped up. Apparently an iron pickaxe isn't good enough.

#167 MrPiggles   Better Call Saul CAGiversary!   1548 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Speaking of water and lava, what does it take to mine obsidian? I was trying to avoid the remaining lava and couldn't read the text box that popped up. Apparently an iron pickaxe isn't good enough.

It takes 10 seconds to mine with a diamond pickaxe, and about 4 minutes with any other pickaxe

#168 Ziv   Jerk Extreme CAGiversary!   1676 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks. I might give it a try anyway just to get at least one.

#169 FriskyTanuki   Believeland CAGiversary!   62996 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I'm slowly working on building a castle, though not having an exact design in my head means that I'm wasting a lot of materials (stone) that take a while to make in the process of perfecting it. I've got one tower done with another that has to be reworked a bit before it's ready while I'm also working on the bridge between the two. Then I can work on the other two towers, which have a lot of real estate in the way for the courtyard. I'll post pictures once I get the chance.

It's a real dick move that stone is mined into cobblestone unlike most other materials in the game.

The 12th Annual CAG March Madness Tourney Contest Now Live - Enter Before 3/17! 

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

You read it. You can't unread it.

#170 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16438 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

It's a real dick move that stone is mined into cobblestone unlike most other materials in the game.

Just fire it in your furnace with some coal and you have stone again.

I haven't expanded my house too much yet. I've just been focusing on mining and building up my resources. After finding a nearby cave and digging straight down to the bedrock to do some branch mining, I started putting together my first rail system, starting at my house and finishing in one of the branch tunnels. It's pretty freaking awesome riding that thing all the way down. After finding some gold, I started placing some powered rails in it, but I don't have enough juice to ride it back up to my house yet (incline is pretty steep, haha). It's going to be sick when I get it finished though.

#171 FriskyTanuki   Believeland CAGiversary!   62996 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

Just fire it in your furnace with some coal and you have stone again.

I know how to make stone, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying to make mistakes with it and have to do the same process all over again.

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

#172 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12137 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

so after you build a house...what else can you do by yourself?

I heard there are treasures and such, but so far all I've done (for 5 hours...) is make a pretty complex house in a mountain.

Never played this game before!

#173 Ziv   Jerk Extreme CAGiversary!   1676 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

I just had my most productive mining session in this game so far. Found plenty of iron, coal, redstone. Even found some gold, lapis lazuli and diamond.

After some wandering and eventually dining my way back home, I saved and quit. After it said it saved and it was exiting he game, it hard locked my 360. I'll be pissed if it didn't save. I don't even want to turn it back on right now. I'll find out tomorrow.

I did figure out one thing. When exploring a mine, I've stared placing torches only on the right side of the tunnels. That way, if I get lost, I can follow torches back out the way I came.

#174 FriskyTanuki   Believeland CAGiversary!   62996 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

I don't know how widely known this is, but if you press in the right analog stick, you'll go into stealth mode that will keep you from falling off of edges. So if you're doing elaborate builds and keep falling off, that will be a big help along with letting you hang off of the edge a bit to help expand platforms more easily than you could without using it.

#175 io   ... Super Moderators   24117 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

I know how to make stone, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying to make mistakes with it and have to do the same process all over again.

Make it out of sandstone. Not only would that be like 10x cooler looking, you can break it back up with no problem (as you know). But I think a sandstone castle would look pretty damn nice. I restarted my game and got a world with a fair amount of desert and normal areas, and a few big mountains. I had a mountain with an overhang at the top and built my house up there almost entirely with glass. I was thinking of making a pyramid in the valley below next and maybe putting a treasure room in there ;).

This world also had some jack-o-lanterns so those are decorating my house. I wish you could move the cactus and replant them but I think all they are used for is to make green dye.

I have to figure out the planting/harvesting part but I'm nowhere near water and I think you need to plant near that right? I do have some seeds I got from who knows where.

so after you build a house...what else can you do by yourself?

I heard there are treasures and such, but so far all I've done (for 5 hours...) is make a pretty complex house in a mountain.

Never played this game before!

Yeah, what you might want to do is build a mine shaft from the inside of your house (or just outside). Just stair-step it down at 45 degrees until you hit a cavern or just find iron, diamonds, lapis lazuli, etc... That is what I was going to do tonight. My son helped me make a bunch of obsidian and now I need a diamond pickaxe to harvest it.

I was also thinking of doing the lava thing around the side of my house. My son managed to do it in his game tonight without setting anything on fire except a few trees.

I don't know how widely known this is, but if you press in the right analog stick, you'll go into stealth mode that will keep you from falling off of edges. So if you're doing elaborate builds and keep falling off, that will be a big help along with letting you hang off of the edge a bit to help expand platforms more easily than you could without using it.

Yeah, this is one of those things my son showed me. He is a fountain of knowledge about this game. He has been playing the PC version for a while. Not that this exact mechanic would be in that - but he reads alot about the game too so he knew about it.

#176 Big St3ph3n   Strange MUSIC!!!! CAGiversary!   815 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Big St3ph3n

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

Post pictures of your creations guys. I wanna see what cags are building!

#177 advanced   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2944 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

This is going to sound stupid, but I'll build my first little house, out of the side of a mountain, and when I go to bed at night, I keep getting attacked by shit. I finally locked myself in a 2x1x2 room with the bed and was able to sleep, but I dont want to continue to have to do that. Any help?

#178 Ryuukishi   What a lovely day!! CAGiversary!   10814 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

Is there a way to 'combine' a ladder and trapdoor? Like, I want to have a ladder leading onto my roof but I also want to be able to close the hole to keep spiders out. Is there some trick to it or can you just not do this?

Ryuukishi634.png

#179 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12137 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

This is going to sound stupid, but I'll build my first little house, out of the side of a mountain, and when I go to bed at night, I keep getting attacked by shit. I finally locked myself in a 2x1x2 room with the bed and was able to sleep, but I dont want to continue to have to do that. Any help?

I think it has to be all stone (or at least, no dirt).

#180 FriskyTanuki   Believeland CAGiversary!   62996 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Make it out of sandstone. Not only would that be like 10x cooler looking, you can break it back up with no problem (as you know). But I think a sandstone castle would look pretty damn nice. I restarted my game and got a world with a fair amount of desert and normal areas, and a few big mountains. I had a mountain with an overhang at the top and built my house up there almost entirely with glass. I was thinking of making a pyramid in the valley below next and maybe putting a treasure room in there ;).

This world also had some jack-o-lanterns so those are decorating my house. I wish you could move the cactus and replant them but I think all they are used for is to make green dye.

I have to figure out the planting/harvesting part but I'm nowhere near water and I think you need to plant near that right? I do have some seeds I got from who knows where.

I'm too far along to make that kind of switch now, though maybe I'll keep that in mind for a future build once I get enough of it. I'm nearly done with the wall between the two towers, so I just need to figure out how far the other two towers will be to start that part of the project. The courtyard should be over this known monster cave, so I'll mine through that once it's all done.

I abandoned my mountain house because it's right above a few monster-spawning caves and it's also at the right height for clouds to pass through that makes it really annoying to do anything there. I also made a supplies trip to my floating house to find out that I left the door open with a creeper running around there. I managed to snipe it from above my house with my bow so it didn't blow it up.

The jack-o-lanterns are far too creepy for me to use. Have you tried putting one on your head?