Any Video Game Composers here?

alangee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I've been a member of the CAG community for a moment, but only until today did it cross my mind to ask: Do we have any VGM composers here?

I'm a long-time student of music and still have lots of growing to do. Fortunately, I am working on a project that is still in development called "Breeze in the Clouds".
At it's core, it's a platformer. But it'll have other genre elements to give it a zing. I'm currently working on the music along with a well-known youtube composer: Aivi Tran (waltzforluma).

Please take a moment to check out our music at my page (alangee15):
http://www.youtube.com/alangee15

& Aivi's page:
http://www.youtube.com/waltzforluma

And I welcome all VGM composers and VGM music lovers to join a huge community I just found out about on facebook for composers and like-minded people: YTGC (YouTube Game Composers):
http://www.facebook.com/groups/144285362264355/

Please share your compositions here no matter how minimal you might believe they are. I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts, retweets, subcribes, likes, et cetera :)

Not a composer myself, but I may be in the market for one in the future. Any suggestions on how to go about contracting a composer for a low budget indie game?

[quote name='jkanownik']Not a composer myself, but I may be in the market for one in the future. Any suggestions on how to go about contracting a composer for a low budget indie game?[/QUOTE]

Definitely have some presentable material at the point you talk to the composer. It's very hard to work on a video game that is still in very early stages of development. Have your characters fully developed, story lines, level design, and the direction you're taking the game aesthetically and emotionally.

I've always been into making music and playing instruments, but around 2007, when I really started listening to what Akira Yamaoka was doing, my outlook completely changed and focused on capturing what he is able to convey through music. So, I started creating. I've released a little bit of music here and there, but if anybody wants to check some of the stuff out, it's always nice hearing feedback, whether it be positive or negative. I more enjoy hearing what I can improve upon, because, let's face it... Nothing's ever perfect.

[YOUTUBE]1HBhI7o8EzA?hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8IkeBIUFQHg[/YOUTUBE]

Both tracks are inspired by Yamaoka, but at different ends of the spectrum, I think.

My Bandcamp is linked in my signature too, and all my stuff is always available for free download. Like I said, more than anything, I love feedback.

[quote name='Vulgarism']

Both tracks are inspired by Yamaoka, but at different ends of the spectrum, I think.

My Bandcamp is linked in my signature too, and all my stuff is always available for free download. Like I said, more than anything, I love feedback.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of Yamaoka, but I will definitely check him out asap. Your tracks are very heavy and take a toll. You convey that very well with your music. "Abandon" was a treat to listen to.

What software are you using? Fruity Loops? Your chord progressions are pretty solid, but melodically, the tunes can be a bit jumbled. But I think this was your intention in the first place. A good example of what I mean is the tune "Kaiull". I really enjoyed the track, but it was a bit confusing to get through. Regardless, I never stopped it because I did enjoy it. So it's neither positive or negative :)

I'll look forward to more of your uploads on YouTube.

bread's done
Back