Ridge Racer Unbounded (X360/PS3) - $50 at Gamestop

I picked up my pre-ordered copy and was pleasantly surprised at the $10 off. After having been pleasantly surprised that it was time to go pick it up.

Supposedly it had been delayed until later in the year. Namco/Bandai dropped three great games on me in a couple of weeks, and I am going back and forth through them all... Ridge Racer Unbounded, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, and of course Tales of Graces F.

I played RRU for half of the night, it's solid. It definitely takes some getting used to. Don't bother trying to get first place every race the first run through, you're just learning and you don't have the best cars. Take what you can get, start opening up the city. Lots of fun to be had there.

little late to the the street racing party eh namco. Dont know why they just do not go back to the R4 style of game. All of them after R4 have been boring and monotonous minus the PSP versions of this game. Atleast thats my opinion

[quote name='solaris389']I picked up my pre-ordered copy and was pleasantly surprised at the $10 off. After having been pleasantly surprised that it was time to go pick it up.

Supposedly it had been delayed until later in the year. Namco/Bandai dropped three great games on me in a couple of weeks, and I am going back and forth through them all... Ridge Racer Unbounded, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, and of course Tales of Graces F.

I played RRU for half of the night, it's solid. It definitely takes some getting used to. Don't bother trying to get first place every race the first run through, you're just learning and you don't have the best cars. Take what you can get, start opening up the city. Lots of fun to be had there.[/QUOTE]

How would you compare it to the last ones in the series?

[quote name='mtxbass1']How would you compare it to the last ones in the series?[/QUOTE]

I don't think I would compare it, it's a different beast entirely. Developed by the guys that made Flatout, not really similar to Ridge Racer 7 at all. Was that the last official Ridge Racer? I'd picked up the 3D download version a while back and played around with it, the two games are nothing alike.

This game has destructible environments, would probably remind people a bit of Split Second... This game handles all of that far better. While Split Second had more spectacular stunts (I say as I haven't come close to finishing Unbounded, it may get bigger/better later), Unbounded has you actually being in control of what is happening. To me I'd take control over spectacle any day. Unbounded gives me that. Also has a city builder, where you build your own tracks. Very cool stuff here. Control is difficult at first, you have to get used to it. It doesn't play similar to recent games, and that seems to be hurting it's appeal.

I'd suppose that if you're looking for something closer to the Ridge Racer you remember, the $20 download version of RR7 on PSN would be closer to it. Then again, it's not really all that close to the Ridge Racer of old, either. Adds Nitro boost and such. The 3D is pretty nice, if you have the option to run with it, though. I think everyone just turns it off... Maybe it's just adults... Can we really see that way for more than an hour or two?

[quote name='foinecrewx']Does Ridge Racer Unbounded support 3D ?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe so. I'll have to check. I'm going to say no, for right now. Most games don't.

The PSN version of Ridge Racer 7 does, that's the one I was talking about. My apologies. if that wasn't clear.

does anyone know if this is a 60fps racer? 30 fps is okay but I much prefer 60 fps and in racing, it's extra important.

[quote name='solaris389']I don't think I would compare it, it's a different beast entirely. Developed by the guys that made Flatout, not really similar to Ridge Racer 7 at all. Was that the last official Ridge Racer? I'd picked up the 3D download version a while back and played around with it, the two games are nothing alike.

This game has destructible environments, would probably remind people a bit of Split Second... This game handles all of that far better. While Split Second had more spectacular stunts (I say as I haven't come close to finishing Unbounded, it may get bigger/better later), Unbounded has you actually being in control of what is happening. To me I'd take control over spectacle any day. Unbounded gives me that. Also has a city builder, where you build your own tracks. Very cool stuff here. Control is difficult at first, you have to get used to it. It doesn't play similar to recent games, and that seems to be hurting it's appeal.

I'd suppose that if you're looking for something closer to the Ridge Racer you remember, the $20 download version of RR7 on PSN would be closer to it. Then again, it's not really all that close to the Ridge Racer of old, either. Adds Nitro boost and such. The 3D is pretty nice, if you have the option to run with it, though. I think everyone just turns it off... Maybe it's just adults... Can we really see that way for more than an hour or two?[/QUOTE]

Ugh. That's a damn shame then. All I freaking want is a remake or extension of R4 with all the original soundtracks, original tracks, and a few new cars. I don't even mind the nitrous of R7. They don't need to go burnout/flatout/split second with the series...

[quote name='integralsmatic']little late to the the street racing party eh namco. Dont know why they just do not go back to the R4 style of game. All of them after R4 have been boring and monotonous minus the PSP versions of this game. Atleast thats my opinion[/QUOTE]
R4 was amazing. I recently bought it again and hooked up my NeGcon controller....good times. I'm hoping this new one will be good, though since I love Flatout. I don't care if it follows the RR formula or not. Just give me car carnage!

[quote name='solaris389']I don't believe so. I'll have to check. I'm going to say no, for right now. Most games don't.

The PSN version of Ridge Racer 7 does, that's the one I was talking about. My apologies. if that wasn't clear.[/QUOTE]

Can you confirm if this game got 3D support ? seems like a fun game with good review. Thanks.

FWIW... as a person who loves Flatout: UC, Grid, Dirt, Forza, and just about every racing game that isn't Need For Speed, I just got Unboundededed today from Gamefly and it's gaaaaaarbaaaage.

I know... opinions.. but I wouldn't recommend running out to buy this.

I COMPLETELY disagree...if you're on the fence read the Eurogamer review (who are also usually fairly harsh) that gave it an 8. You need to give the game some time and figuire out the way the drift works. This thing is an incredible combo of Ridge Racer (yes drifting plays a big role), Burnout, Flatout and Split Second. If you love racing games, you'll love this. When you throw in the map editor, it really is an incredible package.

[quote name='Wario64']I haven't played it, but it sounds like RRU is more like a Flatout game than Ridge Racer. Only RR by name[/QUOTE]

Makes sense since the Flatout devs making this game.

bread's done
Back