Playstation 4: Rumors and Speculation, complete with fanboy rage!

6er

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
BGR reports possible 4K resolution..
4K resolution? Seems far fetched in games, checkout benchmarks for the rumored hardware. The graphics chipset couldn't handle it well. So just means 4K movie supports, IMO

IGN claim they may have the spec sheet:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/04/04/sources-detail-the-playstation-4s-processing-specs

Kotaku reports a source.tells them no backwards compatibility. Games will be console locked. Not that Im that surprised. Too much money to be made on remakes

http://m.kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

From the article:
THE NEXT PLAYSTATION, AT A GLANCE

IS CALLED, OR AT LEAST CARRIES THE WORKING CODENAME, "ORBIS".

IS SCHEDULED FOR A HOLIDAY 2013 RELEASE.

WON'T BE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE WITH PS3 GAMES.

WILL LOCK NEW GAMES TO A PSN ACCOUNT AS AN ANTI-USED GAMES MEASURE.

NEW GAMES CAN BE BOUGHT EITHER ON BLU-RAY OR DOWNLOADED.

CURRENT SPECS ARE AN AMD X64 CPU AND AMD SOUTHERN ISLANDS GPU

Last edited by a moderator:
If the no used games feature is true for MS and Sonys next machine I will be done gaming. Or I will just start pirating games. Very stupid move by them if true.

They are doing us a favor, you'll never have to worry about who will.pay the most for your old games ever again!

[quote name='musha666']If the no used games feature is true for MS and Sonys next machine I will be done gaming. Or I will just start pirating games. Very stupid move by them if true.[/QUOTE]

agreed (not about the pirating though) but with how opposed they are to the used game market and then not getting their"cut" im not surprised that theyre doing this. once they said m$ may be doing it i knew the only way itd work would be if all the console companies agreed to it across the board.

however if the price of new games drops then id go ahead with the console if not then yeah id say im done. but the drop needs to be significant like 30 to 40 for new games.

I'm not one to sell back my games, I keep them as part of a collection, but I do buy a lot of used games. Mostly the used games I buy are less popular games that I can live without, or will never play. Lot of Superhero movie games, run of the mill shooters and RPGs, etc...

I almost always buy the AAA titles upon release. The Uncharteds, Call of Dutys, Skyrim, and so on, because I hate to wait for games I WANT to play.

Eliminating my ability to buy used games will severely limit my collection, but not my overall gaming time. I'll still buy the games I want, I will just have to pass on buying Iron Man 3, unless I find it new in some bargain bin.

However, I do think it will really hurt publishers of mediocre and average games. I bet a lot of people buy those type of games and quickly sell them to recoup their money. You're not going to be able to do that if the used game market is eliminated. Most people arent going to risk $70 (which i assume is going to be the new price point) on a stinking turd of a game.

They will also eliminate the "rent first" mentality, forcing people to rely on game reviews more than ever to see if the game is good or not.

I'd hate to see Gamefly go out of business; they have been very good to us with their sales over the last few years.

if thats the case why not go DLC Save on making Disc thats Dumb because how do they tell from use or new because if you opening a game up it beComes a used game so if i bought a new game for full price would it be locked later on

I've had the sneaking suspicion for a while now that not only would disc-based compatibility be spotty come next gen but that they'd (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo) find some way to fuck us over when it comes to digital content as well.

I have an ever-growing digital library both on consoles and on PC and if any console maker decides to not carry over digital purchases then I'm not purchasing their next system period the end. That means Games On Demand, XBLIG, XBLA titles, Minis, PSOne Classics, PSN games, PS3 digital games, Virtual Console games, WiiWare games and my relevant DLC across the platforms.

If Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo decide to go that route come 2013/2014/whenever knowing full-well that places like Steam and GOG and the Android/Apple app stores all allow me to purchase digitally and carry said purchases forward regardless of upgraded hardware then it'll be my phone in my pocket, my tablet in my bag, and my PC hooked up to my TV come next gen.

Obviously there are going to be some unavoidable edge-cases and that's fine but if the vast majority of my current content doesn't carry over then I'm done with console gaming.

/rant ;)

[quote name='finsfan0210']If this turns out to be the case I won't pay more than $20 for a game ever even if I have to wait a year for certain games[/QUOTE]

Same here. I wait for most games to hit $20-$30 anyway but I fill the down time with $10 used games. This could be the beginning of the end. There are a ton of games I never would have played if I couldn't get them used and no doubt some of them led me to paying full price for the sequel. This is just short-sighted and dumb and I don't like where we are headed with all of this nickel and dime bullshit.

Now, if used games just required a $10 "activation" fee or something that would take the sting out of it and be a little more palatable. Of course, I'd assume used game prices would be adjusted downward to compensate for that...

I don't buy used games, but I do borrow a lot of games from my friends and if the next generation kills that I'm going to be pissed. Used games sales aren't killing companies, they're doing just fine. To completely kill borrowing games from friends because you want some extra cash is ridiculous, and it just makes me want to get a PC gaming setup.

Well, if that's the case then that's going to put a serious hamper into GameFly, won't it? Yikes.

At the end of the day, though, I'll keep on doing what I've been doing for the past few years. My gaming backlog is already at anywhere from 1 to 3 years long, depending upon how fast I can go through all of them. I am more than happy to wait out any of the major new releases until they drop down from a presumable $60 to $30 or less. Easy enough to do as far as I'm concerned, and it's barely any different than what I'm doing right now.

If they do drop the prices, people would love to have to have them $40-45 but we all know that's not gonna happen. It would have to be somewhere around $50-55 if we're lucky... or $60 -_-

No BC hurts. Especially for the numerous PSN games I own. I would be fully behind an all digital solution, as long as PS would follow Steam's lead and have aggressive pricing and sales.

[quote name='musha666']If the no used games feature is true for MS and Sonys next machine I will be done gaming. Or I will just start pirating games. Very stupid move by them if true.[/QUOTE]

Because wanting to keep money in the dev and publishers' pockets and not GameStops is such a terrible thing...

[quote name='SynGamer']Because wanting to keep money in the dev and publishers' pockets and not GameStops is such a terrible thing...[/QUOTE]

Wanting to be able to sell something that I should legally own is a terrible thing in mine and many other people's opinion.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Wanting to be able to sell something that I should legally own is a terrible thing in mine and many other people's opinion.[/QUOTE]

You will still have the ability to sell it, just no one will want it. Pretty smart move on their part.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You will still have the ability to sell it, just no one will want it. Pretty smart move on their part.[/QUOTE]

When I can't sell my games, I don't have money to buy more of their products. Pretty smart move.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']When I can't sell my games, I don't have money to buy more of their products. Pretty smart move.[/QUOTE]

Get a job. Super smart move.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Get a job. Super smart move.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume that you're being dense on purpose and leave it at that.

Hey, why not stop there?

Car companies should find a way to prevent people from being able to drive cars that another person bought before them.

That'll show those fools who want to save money/can't afford to be spending money on a new one!

Clothes? Clothing companies should prevent people from selling their old clothes cause it takes money out of clothing companies pockets!

DOWN WITH USED

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Hey, why not stop there?

Car companies should find a way to prevent people from being able to drive cars that another person bought before them.

That'll show those fools who want to save money/can't afford to be spending money on a new one!

Clothes? Clothing companies should prevent people from selling their old clothes cause it takes money out of clothing companies pockets!

DOWN WITH USED[/QUOTE]

Toilet paper companies should make it so I can sell used toilet paper! I legally own the toilet paper so I should be able to sell it to subsidize my future purchases of toilet paper.

They probably would if they could.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Toilet paper companies should make it so I can sell used toilet paper! I legally own the toilet paper so I should be able to sell it to subsidize my future purchases of toilet paper.

They probably would if they could.[/QUOTE]

You can sell it anytime you want...nobody will buy it unless they have a poop fetish.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Hey, why not stop there?

DOWN WITH USED[/QUOTE]

Want a house? New only.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']You can sell it anytime you want...nobody will buy it unless they have a poop fetish.[/QUOTE]

The same is going to happen if this is true. You can still sell your used games, just no one will want them.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The same is going to happen if this is true. You can still sell your used games, just no one will want them.[/QUOTE]

There is a big difference between toilet paper and video games.

Obviously you're too fucking stupid to understand.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The same is going to happen if this is true. You can still sell your used games, just no one will want them.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that toilet paper companies are not actively doing something to make your toilet paper useless second hand. Neither do car companies, movie companies, music companies, car companies, housing companies or any other used marketplace. Video games are taking an active step to hurt the consumer in this regard.

I'll sell you this burger after I eat it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']The difference is that toilet paper companies are not actively doing something to make your toilet paper useless second hand. Neither do car companies, movie companies, music companies, car companies, housing companies or any other used marketplace. Video games are taking an active step to hurt the consumer in this regard.[/QUOTE]

That's because:

Car companies sell used cars themselves so they get a giant chunk of that market.
Movie companies have multiple streams of revenue from their one product.
The music industry has largely moved towards a digital marketplace, where there is no used product, but they also have multiple streams of revenue from their one product.
You listed car companies twice.
What the fuck are housing companies?

If you don't like it, don't support it. You won't be missed.

[quote name='elessar123']I'll sell you this burger after I eat it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not the one trying to buy used products, maybe KingofOldSchool would be interested?

BC doesn't really mean much to me and the used market is something I almost never deal with. That being said, the pricing of DLC and console digital purchases rarely makes any sense. On the PC side of things, I love digital product; however, I will never pay the same price for an all digital purchase as I do for a physical purchase. I purchase many games on Steam when they are on sale - so many games that I have a considerable backlog. If these stories we hear about next gen consoles are true I will just go back to being a 100% PC gamer like I used to be.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']The difference is that toilet paper companies are not actively doing something to make your toilet paper useless second hand. Neither do car companies, movie companies, music companies, car companies, housing companies or any other used marketplace. Video games are taking an active step to hurt the consumer in this regard.[/QUOTE]

If we want to be stupid and compare video games to toilet paper used.

You can open up a package of toilet paper and could still sell it. Hell, you could use only one piece of the tissue paper and sell the rest if you wanted.

What video game companies want to do is tell you that you're stuck with the game for the rest of your life. You buy the game at launch and hate the game after 2 hours of playing? Tough shit, it's yours now.

You lose your job and need to sell stuff to pay a bill? Well you can't sell your games cause it's yours forever, might as well sell your car instead.

I could be wrong but I would imagine used games will require a pass like some do now to play online. They can still charge 60 bucks for games and places like Gamestop would have to reduce the prices of used games even more.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']You lose your job and need to sell stuff to pay a bill? Well you can't sell your games cause it's yours forever, might as well sell your car instead.[/QUOTE]

Games are console locked, sell them with your console.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']If we want to be stupid and compare video games to toilet paper used.

You can open up a package of toilet paper and could still sell it. Hell, you could use only one piece of the tissue paper and sell the rest if you wanted.

What video game companies want to do is tell you that you're stuck with the game for the rest of your life. You buy the game at launch and hate the game after 2 hours of playing? Tough shit, it's yours now.

You lose your job and need to sell stuff to pay a bill? Well you can't sell your games cause it's yours forever, might as well sell your car instead.[/QUOTE]

Really? Is there a market for opened toilet paper?

Hahah, if you lose your job and desperately need money, sell your games with your PSN account and console. Problem solved.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']That's because:

Car companies sell used cars themselves so they get a giant chunk of that market.
Movie companies have multiple streams of revenue from their one product.
The music industry has largely moved towards a digital marketplace, where there is no used product, but they also have multiple streams of revenue from their one product.
You listed car companies twice.
What the fuck are housing companies?

If you don't like it, don't support it. You won't be missed.
[/QUOTE]

1. There are plenty of used car dealerships around that aren't tied to car company. And regardless buying a used car is far less than buying a new one.

2. Physical CDs are still being produced and doesn't have a one time used thing tied to them that renders them useless for another person.

3. There are construction companies that build houses, if people are buying used homes, that cuts into their profits. This also holds building supply companies that furnish the materials needed to build the house.

4. I won't and I'm sure a lot of other people will do the same. Obviously the companies will miss us since they are getting pissy over people buying used games thus cutting into their profits.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Really? Is there a market for opened toilet paper?

Hahah, if you lose your job and desperately need money, sell your games with your PSN account and console. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

I said you COULD sell them as they would still be useable you fucking moron.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']1. There are plenty of used car dealerships around that aren't tied to car company. And regardless by a used car is far less than buying a new one.

2. Physical CDs are still being produced and doesn't have a one time used thing tied to them that renders them useless for another person.

3. There are construction companies that build houses, if people are buying used homes, that cuts into their profits. This also holds building supply companies that furnish the materials needed to build the house.

4. I won't and I'm sure a lot of other people will do the same. Obviously the companies will miss us since they are getting pissy over people buying used games thus cutting into their profits.[/QUOTE]

1. That doesn't affect my point. Car companies are getting a chunk of the market so they also benefit from used sales. Game companies do not. Furthermore, there is a significant difference in quality between a used car and a new car. There is no difference between a used game and a new game.

2. True, but like I said, the majority of the market is now in digital sales. Music companies no longer need to worry much about used sales.

3. The construction companies have no control over the housing market and therefore couldn't prevent used home sales even if they wanted to. Furthermore, they can be contracted for many other purposes. I highly doubt there is any such thing as a construction company that focuses only on building houses.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']I said you COULD sell them as they would still be useable you fucking moron.[/QUOTE]

Just like you COULD sell the used games, but no one will want them. Just like no one wants your opened toilet paper.

The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets.
I don't think I will be buying a new HDTV to take advantage of the PS4 graphics like I did for PS3.
Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.
Sony is shooting themselves in the foot if they don't offer backwards compatibility with the PS4. I would have considered a PS4 if I could trade in my PS3 to help subsidize the cost of the PS4 knowing it will play PS3 games. I have spent so much on my gaming library this gen since it has been the longest console generation. Also money spent on DLC attached to the retail game disc themselves which I can not play on the PS4 if it does not do backwards compatibility with PS3 games.
Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.
If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.
Since every game needs to be activated online... What happens if PSN gets hacked again? Buying a pre-owned game will basically be like you paying for a free demo, oh great. At least with the online pass you have access to the full single player portion.

Higher specs also means development cost will be higher. Guess what games publishers will lean even more to if creating games cost more than the $60 million it cost now.

If this is truly what the PS4 and Xbox 720 will become, I will not be purchasing a next gen console. I may consider the WiiU just so I can play the newer multiplatform IPs and Nintendo doesn't seem to be going crazy with DLC and putting in online passes(yes I know, its due to Nintendo's crap online system)... yet.

If the game is locked to the PSN account and not the console, then hypothetically you could make a new profile for each game and sell the profile with the game for a premium when you are done with it, right?

Now, if you had a new game, played it, got rid of it, and then later decided you wanted to re-acquire it, would you have to pay to unlock the used copy of the disc because it wasn't the same disc since the used game would be tied to someone else's account/console?

[quote name='htz']I don't think I will be buying a new HDTV to take advantage of the PS4 graphics like I did for PS3.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're going to make 2160p TVs any time soon.

It's probably that high so it can generate 120 fps at 1080p, for 3D. It's also possible they could be aiming for 4 people split-screen playing on one TV with glasses, similar to 2 player on the Playstation Display.

[quote name='Lightning War']I don't buy used games, but I do borrow a lot of games from my friends and if the next generation kills that I'm going to be pissed. Used games sales aren't killing companies, they're doing just fine. To completely kill borrowing games from friends because you want some extra cash is ridiculous, and it just makes me want to get a PC gaming setup.[/QUOTE]

This is actually EXACTLY how I feel. Except, I'm the kid that buys a lot of games, usually used ones, and lend them all out to my friends.

I guess it's a good thing I've been thinking more and more about getting a nice PC setup. With Steam's great prices and all the modding capabilities I currently envy, the PS ORBIS seems obsolete already.

I don't understand Sony the were praised for BC with the PS2 & that became the greatest console of all time. I know there's a cost factor but this isn't going to work the way Sony/MS think people will stick with the PS3/360 even longer waiting for prices to drop & new release games on PS4/720 will suffer severely so I hope they have a plan B.

Meh, not a big deal. If I want to play PS3 then I will keep my PS3 around, just like I do with my NES. I dont care about the no used game market, I usually buy new, but I hope they change their pricing structure since everyone will be "getting more money".

[quote name='finsfan0210']If this turns out to be the case I won't pay more than $20 for a game ever even if I have to wait a year for certain games[/QUOTE]

My average price on game purchases is $10, so no problem for me. I don't care about online multi-player, so I don't need the games to be recent. And my library is massive. Everything turns up cheap eventually.

Kotaku is a horrible website who only generates interest from outlandish claims and eye catching articles.

They are full of shit, similar to how yahoo news is complete trash. They are the yahoo news of videogame journalism.

No used + no BC means I won't be picking one up (if at all) until the system can be had for cheap and the exclusives are at the $10 price point.

Maybe since the will be making tons of cash on games, it will launch at $300.

On the plus side, I will probably get a 2nd pc for gaming. And all my old PC games from years ago can always be revived!

Also, if you believe what Kotaku is saying, new games will launch at $70.

I will miss you, Nathan Drake.

[quote name='waldo21212']
Also, if you believe what Kotaku is saying, new games will launch at $70.
[/QUOTE]
$70 Standard Edition
$90 Collectors/Limited Edition
$50 Season Passes like COD Elite
$20 Map Packs
$75 Xbox Live Platinum

Games filled with bugs/exploits/glitches... priceless

[quote name='htz']$70 Standard Edition
$90 Collectors/Limited Edition
$50 Season Passes like COD Elite
$20 Map Packs
$75 Xbox Live Platinum

Games filled with bugs/exploits/glitches... priceless[/QUOTE]

if that happens then i can see alot of people not gaming or switching to pc gaming.game companies are getting too damn greedy with dlc as is trying to jack up game prices is a joke and theres no excuse for it. bad enough now theyre all doing this season pass shit.

[quote name='Enuf']I don't understand Sony the were praised for BC with the PS2 & that became the greatest console of all time. I know there's a cost factor but this isn't going to work the way Sony/MS think people will stick with the PS3/360 even longer waiting for prices to drop & new release games on PS4/720 will suffer severely so I hope they have a plan B.[/QUOTE]

The big problem is what it would take to make a new console that was compatible. Sony has given up on the CELL concept and wants something more mainstream t avoid the huge expense of the PS3 launch. This means no direct hardware compatibility with PS3 code. Emulation would be a big problem because there are still areas of the CELL's performance that would be hard to replicate.

That isn't to say a current X86-64 part cannot outperform the CELL overall but it doesn't do it with same approach and this makes it tricky when a game was heavily optimized for where CELL does well.

On top of this, the CELL is really complicated, which is part of why it took developers so long to get a good handle on it. Painful as an emulation target.

It pleases me that Microsoft was able to pull off emulation of the original Xbox so well on the 360 but what portion of the installed base today has never run a single Xbox game on their 360? Traditionally, backwards compatibility has mattered most to companies in an underdog position. It helps win over retailers wanting to unload games still in stock for the previous platform and it helps offer a library at launch fro those who didn't bother with the previous platform.

If Microsoft and Sony launch their new systems while the current ones are still generating good revenue, lack of BC won't matter much. (Though I do believe Microsoft is going to try to carry at least a portion of the 360 library forward and offer tools to help developers easily port games on XBLA to run on the new machine if it isn't compatible at the hardware level. Not having a weird beast like CELL makes it a bit easier.)

Sony has made it clear on the VITA they couldn't care less about the libraries of PSP owners. The PSP support on Vita is strictly aimed at people who never owned a PSP. This is likely a clue as to how they'll proceed on the PS4. While on the Vita emulating the PSP is easy, it was the media that caused the problem. On the PS4 it is the opposite story.

bread's done
Back