1. That doesn't affect my point. Car companies are getting a chunk of the market so they also benefit from used sales. Game companies do not. Furthermore, there is a significant difference in quality between a used car and a new car. There is no difference between a used game and a new game.
2. True, but like I said, the majority of the market is now in digital sales. Music companies no longer need to worry much about used sales.
3. The construction companies have no control over the housing market and therefore couldn't prevent used home sales even if they wanted to. Furthermore, they can be contracted for many other purposes. I highly doubt there is any such thing as a construction company that focuses only on building houses.
Just like you COULD sell the used games, but no one will want them. Just like no one wants your opened toilet paper.
1. Car manufacturers get $0 from used sales. Car dealers get a big chunk of profits from used sales.
Now you could argue that car dealers are necessary to get the product into the consumers hands and they would have to subsidize them if they didn't have used sales, but then the same thing could be said in a non-digital download world where many retailers push used game sales since they have a higher profit on those games.
2. Dissagree. When MP4s were sold and locked to devices, yes what you said was true. Amazon pushed MP3s and won. Now I can copy my digital downloads as much as possible and give them to friends/make cds for other people.
3. I think the point needs to be made that in the videogame market we have an oligopoly. So PS4 won't block used game sales unless Microsoft blocks them. Because that is their main competition and if they all do it you choices are limited to support them or not. The music/Car/House industry have dozens (housing hundreds) of suppliers of their products. So if one of them tried this you'd just go to another one. It gets back to the basics of supply and demand. Maybe a new console player would come on the market and allow used games sales to try and be competitive, but otherwise the current leaders could lead us to this market.
Being that this affects me negatively, I don't like it. I also don't think it's necessary. If not this generation, the next generation should be digital download anyway. That will take care of "used" sales.