mykevermin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (97%)
sad.jpg

APRIL FOOLS!

Oh, wait, that's for real.

Bravo. :applause:

WWE can talk about 'Once in a Lifetime' and 'End of an Era' all they want, but this is what I'll remember WM28 for.

Response from last thread:
[quote name='masked lemon']I get what you are saying, but what exactly did you want them to do with the cell? You say you wanted the cell used more in the match, what other way could it have been used besides as a weapon, because like I said, you surely don't expect them to climb it.

I don't think it needed to be a hiac match either, but for different reasons. I don't think at this point an Undertaker Wrestlemania match needs any extra gimmicks added to it. The streak is more than enough to make it a compelling match.

It's been pretty much established that normal wrestling isn't enough to beat UT, so I feel weapons are fine in the match. Neither of these men can put on technical clinics, so we get a hardcore style match, and I'm fine with that.

You're not wrong for not liking the match, that's your opinion. I just felt like opening a debate about what more you would have liked to have seen. I personally thought the match was great, but I would have liked to have seen a Last Ride, and I would have done away with the ref run in. More finisher reversals would have been good also.[/QUOTE]

That's fair. It's tough to armchair book it from the perspective of not wanting it to be HiaC anyway, but I would have at least gone outside. A nice 'driven through a panel' spot would've worked for me, possibly leading to the destruction of the (shockingly still standing by the end of the event) Spanish announce table. Taking that further, if they're outside, it's pretty easy and not extremely dangerous to do a table spot that doesn't involve climbing all the way up, similar to the first HiaC match. Working that into the context of the match, HHH beats Taker down, somehow ends up driving him through the cage wall. Taker no sells, sits up, HHH's escape is blocked by the fallen cage portion on one side and Taker on the other, so he starts climbing up. Gets a few feet up, Taker pulls him off and through the annouce table. HHH gets time to recover because Michaels won't let Taker near him. The rest of the match can play out the same way.

The flipside of that idea would be to have Michaels be behind whoever goes through the cage, leading to a series of pinfalls, submissions, whatever, where there just isn't a ref. Build it so each man has technically 'won' a number of falls without winning the match.

I'm pulling these out of my ass, so I won't even claim they're good ideas. At the very least, though, they make use of the caged environment.

I agree that the matches don't need gimmicks, but my armchair booking idea last night was to have made it a casket match. Same build, but now you have the added 'oomph' of Taker reminding both Michaels and HHH that it's the match which cost HBK four years of his career, and almost ended it completely. If you're going to work with the history of these men, it's a way to use a gimmick that actually means something. It adds more drama to it, because it wouldn't just be Michaels helping a friend to do what he couldn't... it'd be him remembering just how much Taker has cost him.

Anyway, it was an okay match. What baffles me is how much praise it seems to be getting. I'm more than happy to agree to disagree on this one, but I didn't think it was that special. I ranted about it already, but the 'end of an era' thing bugged me, since it seemed like WWE was promoting it like there was so much on the line... but they never bothered to tell us what. Taker loses, the Streak ends. Fine. HHH loses, and... uh... yeah. I have no idea. Overall, I'm disappointed that they went with repeats instead of laying out a unique match that really fit the occassion.

[quote name='mykevermin']

APRIL FOOLS!

Oh, wait, that's for real.[/QUOTE]

Look at how proud he is. He earned that... the most coveted prize in the industry with a hard fought victory. A match for the ages. Even as the loser, Bryan should be proud of his performance. I chanted along with the crowd as the show went to black. "Thank you Bryan, ~clap clap, clap-clap-clap~"

Wait... that didn't happen at all.

Perfect thread title is perfect.:applause::applause::applause:

Now, on to something that will actually be worth the asking price; ECW Unreleased Vol.1. Joey Styles posted the full match listing for the DVD set (Blu-Ray gets two extra matches) on his Facebook page. Spoilered because you know some lazy fucker would bitch about having to scroll past it.

ECW UNRELEASED VOL. 1 JUNE 2012 COMPLETE MATCH LISTINGS
courtesy Facebook.com/TheJoeyStles

DISC 1
Shane Douglas vs. 2 Cold Scorpio…NWA World Title Tournament Finals
Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven…The debut of Beulah McGillicutty
... Dean Malenko & 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Eddie Guerrero & Tazmaniac
Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko… ECW World TV Title Match
Shane Douglas vs. Cactus Jack

DISC 2
Rob Van Dam & Sabu vs. The Eliminators…ECW World Tag Team Title Match
Sabu vs. Taz…Barely Legal
Shane Douglas vs. Bam Bam Bigelow…ECW World Heavyweight Title Match
Sabu & Rob Van Dam vs. Hayabusa and Jensei Shinzaki…ECW World Tag Team Title Match
Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn…ECW World TV Title Match

DISC 3
Shane Douglas vs. Tazz…ECW World Heavyweight Title Match
Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka…ECW World Heavyweight Title Match
Justin Credible & Lance Storm vs. Rob Van Dam & Jerry Lynn
Tazz vs. Tommy Dreamer…ECW World Heavyweight Title Match
Tommy Dreamer vs. Justin Credible…ECW World Heavyweight Title Match
Rhyno vs. The Sandman
Rhyno vs. Spike Dudley…ECW World TV Title Match
Yoshihiro Tajiri & Mikey Whipwreck vs. Kid Kash & Super Crazy vs. The FBI…ECW World Tag Team Title Match
Rey Mysterio vs. Psicosis

BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVES
Terry Funk vs. Sabu vs. Shane Douglas
Tommy Dreamer vs. Jimmy Snuka

Looks like a great line-up. Not crazy about getting Sabu Vs. Taz yet again, but oh well.

Well, at least I can say I paid a fraction of the price for a wresting PPV this weekend that was a hundred times better thanks to Dragon Gate.

[quote name='neocisco']How did Sheamus not spontaneously combust in that Miami sun?[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, THAT'S why the match was so short!

That's why I think he won in 18 seconds. He stood the chance of turning as red as a lobster out there if he had been out there for a 20 minute match...which would have been awesome when he came out to "It's a shameful thing, Lobsterhead" tonight on Raw.

I genuinely laughed when I read the thread title. If I had a hat, I'd tip it right now.

And I thought the Irish stave off the effects of the sun by getting blistering drunk? Or was it by rubbing themselves with potatoes? Hmm.

Best thread title I have seen on this site so far. Bravo sir.
I am a known WWE apologizer, but that left a sour feeling in my stomach for the rest of the night. There was no reason whatsoever for him to be squashed. I knew he was going to lose but argh. :wall:

The second ROH show was great. I LOVED Elgin-Richards. Davey was great and was believably intense as opposed to a guy acting like he was supposed to be intense. He only made one goofy face in the whole match and allowed Elgin to shine. I thought for sure that Elgin had the title won during the last crossface, but I'm glad they kept it on Davey. Everyone who took part in this match, from the competitors to the commentary team really made this seem like something special. And it wasn't like it was built up for any real length of time - out of essentially nowhere, they just had an outstanding match that did as much to make Elgin in one night as anything could. Nigel had his best showing yet on commentary - he had a slightly rocky start to the role, but has grown into it very well and relatively quickly.

Damn, he's so white that he kind of blends into the background of the sky. You think the WWE camera guys use him to adjust the white balance of their cameras? :lol: This is a guy who makes Jim Gaffigan look tanned.

Alright that's all of the pale jokes I can think of.

[quote name='007']I ranted about it already, but the 'end of an era' thing bugged me, since it seemed like WWE was promoting it like there was so much on the line... but they never bothered to tell us what. Taker loses, the Streak ends. Fine. HHH loses, and... uh... yeah. I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

JR kept saying shit about "you will never see Shawn Michaels in a WWE ring ever again", which was also completely un-fucking-explained.

Also, the saddest thing about the DB squash was how over he seemed to be in Miami. That was a dickload of YES! signs.

Oh, and,

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Inane off-topic shit.[/QUOTE]

I don't normally mind what you have to say, but why the fuck do you always pop in and start babbling about it when it's completely out of context or off-topic? If you're going to give your commentaries and what not, that's fine.. but do it during the part of the thread where people are actively talking about it, not several pages and a new thread later.

From previous thread:

[quote name='Clak']And plenty had changed in those five or so years. The guys came into the WWF at different "eras" if you want to call it that. HHH's biggest time was the attitude era, with Rock and Austin etc. That wasn't Taker's era, that was the beginning of, what I think, was the worst time for that character, when they eventually turned him into nothing more than some tatted up biker.

Problem is that most of the guys that debuted around 1990 with him are either dead or retired by now.[/QUOTE]

I'd beg to differ. Undertaker's character debuted in November 1990 at the age of 26. Hunter Hearst Helmsley showed up in ads in early 1995, getting on TV regularly after Mania. Shortly after debuting on TV, he turned... 26.

Not many guys get pushes the way the Undertaker did in 1990-1992. Also, he was written off of TV for most of 1994 (Rumble-SummerSlam).

At the time of 1990-1991 when Undertaker debuted, many of the top stars were old or retiring. Guys in the match he debuted in were aging; Dusty Rhodes was 45 at the time. Ted Dibiase was 36 and had only 4 years of active wrestle status left in him. Bret Hart, a man who 2 years later would be closely associated with Shawn Michaels as the top acts that drove WWF from the Hogan Era to the Attitude Era was 33 when Undertaker debuted and didn't even get a real shot at a singles run (at the IC) at 34, during a time when the Undertaker was pinning Hulk Hogan at 27.

Contemporaries age wise, but not yet in the WWF (or back in the WWF in one case): Sid Vicious/Justice (31 in 1991 when he showed up for his less than a year stint, then 35 in 1995 when he returned, but at this point HHH was already there)... Bam Bam Bigelow (32 when he returned in 1992-1993)... Mick Foley (31 in 1996) is a pretty good contemporary, but his in ring career with WW(F)E lasted about 4 years.

A close example of a person who debuted and became a main eventer in the same era might be Yokozuna (who's been dead for almost 12 years) who debuted in 1992, 2 years later, at 26. Yokozuna was also long gone in by end of summer 1996, essentially done at 30 due to size and licensing issues.

------------

The Undertaker biker character debuted in 2000, shortly after WrestleMania 16 (or WM2000). From 1996-1999 the Undertaker's character was far more dark and gothic than the mysterious man who can never be hurt from 1990-1993. Undertaker was a large part of the Attitude Era and did have the Ministry of Darkness.

Considering Undertaker held the WWF Title for 6 days in 1991, but got a run in 1997 (as the Attitude Era kicked off) and then was a focal primary main level challenger to Austin in 1998 and then got runs with the belt in 1999, I'd venture to say you don't really know what you're talking about when it comes to what "Era" he had a run in.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']What's off-topic about writing about a wrestling match in a wrestling thread?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely nothing. I don't understand why people have such a problem with you. Personally, I don't care about your lengthy show reviews/recaps/pics/quotes so I just scroll past those posts. Not a big deal to me. If people can't stand what you have to say so much they should just put you on ignore.

Have you ever considered starting a wrestling blog/writing for a pre-existing wrestling blog/or writing for one of the seemingly endless supply of wrestling websites that are popping up these days? You might find a better audience for your writing than here in CAG threads.

As far as that "Unreleased" listing goes, I know at least the RVD/Sabu vs Hayabusa/Hakushi match is on an FMW DVD from Pioneer. Still looks like a solid lineup though.

I wasn't feeling H/Taker too much - just too much drama and not enough story being told through the actual wrestling part.

I get that Taker put Shawn in Hell's Gate because he was thinking about ringing the bell but the announcers didn't too good of a job pointing that out (JR did mention it I believe but it was never followed up on by the other two).

They tried to redo Taker/HBK slap into the Tombstone with H doing the crotch chop before getting hit with the hammer but it also fell kinda flat for me.

Its hard to tell what Taker could have done physically since they were so focused on telling the story that they wanted to tell.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']What's off-topic about writing about a wrestling match in a wrestling thread?[/QUOTE]

Because at this point in the thread people are talking about Wrestlemania, not ROH. ROH was brought up in pretty good detail in the other one, that was your chance but you're quite late to the party on it.

had a great time..... ofcourse a fucking palm tree blocked some of my view of the ring which blew though

leaving the parking lot was a fucking cluster fuck though...

oh and yea.... the 'yes' chants were fucking everywhere...seemed bryan was insanely over

[quote name='guyver2077']had a great time..... ofcourse a fucking palm tree blocked some of my view of the ring which blew though[/QUOTE]

Did your homemade Goldberg wrestling buddy get a pop though?

What a definitive vote of no confidence in AmDrag at the biggest show of the year by making him job faster than SD Jones (9 seconds, my ass) in the opening title match.

Wrestlemania Fact: You could have watched Daniel Bryan job almost 23 times in the time Maria What's-Her-Face was an active participant in the same event. fuck. fuck.

Some Hall of Fame speeches are up on YouTube (it aired in the UK last night) - the forum is doing weird things with spoilers and media tags, so click the spoiler after each video for more. Mike Tyson, Four Horsemen and Edge's speech are below.

Mike Tyson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6ggSw5A-E

Four Horsemen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac4zPNM09I0

Edge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltd7r611Jw8

The bad:

Jericho losing. I like both guys but I'm more of a Y2J fan so I was kind of bummed at the outcome. Still a good match though.

The GM match. Remember how Teddy was in charge of Raw for an entire week and he showed up throughout the night? Of course you don't, because he was in the beginning of the show and nothing else. From then on, I knew Team Laryngitis would win. I also wish Ryder wasn't the one to get pinned.

Even though it was fun to watch, Undertaker-Triple H was missing something. It was like they were holding back on the combat and took more time to have HBK hold them back instead. Definitely not as good as last year's match.

What did you guys think of Undertaker's Liddell buzzcut?

The good:

Everything else, and not just because I was actually there to watch it.

I knew people would be mad at the 18 second match, but some of you are acting like little kids crying over Cena's loss. To be fair, they had two David and Goliath matches with Sheamus-Bryan (both of which I like) and Cody-Big Show. If there was a 18 second squash with Cody, everyone would complain with how predictable it was. I think they did the right thing even when you consider WWE has been hinting at breaking up AJ and Daniel for a while. They want people talking and delivered.

To the person who said there were tons of YES! chants: You're right. There were lots of Daniel Bryan fans (there were many YES! chants in the parking lot after the show ended as well). If it makes you guys feel any better, Sheamus was booed immediately when he won and for the rest of the night - even when they showed his K-mart commercial.

The audio on TV must have been altered (and in person the ring noises weren't that loud) because to me every match had people cheering loudly - except for Kane and Orton (although Orton got a good pop). Seeing as how Cena destroyed Kane in that ambulance match, Kane needed this win over Orton so I was happy he got it (and I don't like face Orton anyway so win-win).

Somewhere I read Maria Menudos was injured, yet she was in the ring for a long time. That surprised me. Match was okay.

Last night was the first time I actually liked Brodus Clay. A fat guy jiggling in spandex (followed by a slow motion replay of said jiggling) can only entertain for so long.

And regarding The Rock vs. John Cena (or as I called him last night: "Lepre Chaun Cena" [seriously, how many colors are left for him to use?] ) :

It was bad enough when John Cena took a rap persona, but even worse was the use of a move of his I despise called the "Five Knuckle Shuffle". From the very first time I saw it, I considered it a People's Elbow ripoff so to watch The Rock beat Cena after mocking the People's Elbow was pure satisfaction. Aside from Rock's Sharpshooter (it wasn't THAT bad, but it's still weird to see him use it), I don't recall hating anything from the match.

Some random thoughts from the event floor:

I bought that WWE earpiece where you can hear commentary as if you were watching the event on TV. It worked, except for during the tag match.

There were Ryder fans in the stadium and lots of Woo Woo Woo chants, but I was surprised when there was not much of a reaction for him during the tag match itself.

There were so many fireworks displayed throughout the night. But did any of you see any pyro when HBK came out? Hearing random popping without seeing anything was very strange.

On TV, you hear a wrestler's theme music and they make their way to the ring. Then they show a recap of the feud leading to the match. It turns out that's how it works at the stadium too. I always thought the music kept going and the videos were for TV audiences only. Speaking of videos, the screens over the ring often showed video images that were different from the ramp screens.

I'm not sure if it was shown on TV, but during the Hall of Fame segment the screen stayed on Yokozuna's picture for quite a while as Howard Finkel (who didn't get an introduction) was reading off the names of the class of 2012.

I mentioned how the crowd was dead during the Orton match. The crowd also wasn't into the musical segments before Cena and Rock's entrances that much (although Flo Rida had more of a reaction for obvious reasons.)

I'm not sure how it came through on TV, but the "Let's Go Cena" chants were louder than I was expecting.

I know I'm forgetting more details (limited sleep and work soon after also don't help), but I loved this year's Wrestlemania more than last year's ok event.

[quote name='guyver2077']

leaving the parking lot was a fucking cluster fuck though...
[/QUOTE]

The $40 parking fee didn't help matters either. It was pretty bad.

[quote name='JP']Anyone watching the Hall of Fame?[/QUOTE]

I am. I'm surprised there was no chat room yet.

Okay, I guess it's time for my take on Mania, since everyone else is doing it. Spoilering it so it doesn't stretch out the page.

DB/Sheamus - I get what they wanted to do. They wanted to set a new record for the quickest match. I almost wonder if this match was booked this way, rather than Rhodes/Show, due to Vince's hatred for the IWC and the WHC (WCW's title). He did this with the ECW championship match between Kane/Chavo. This match should have happened and I'm sad that it didn't. I'm sad that DB's reign ended that way. Just crap all around.

Orton/Kane - I'm surprised that Kane went over clean. Really surprised, actually. I'm guessing there's a bigger plan here.

Big Show/Rhodes - It wasn't much of a match from what I remember. It's cool to see Show as the IC champ, making him a triple crown champ.

Divas - I dunno, I don't even remember this match happening. No, wait, I remember Beth bending down for a spot too early. That's all.

UT/HHH - This was not a wrestling match. This was a spot fest. If this is all the Undertaker can do now, it's time to hang it up. This match was awful. I dig the false finishes as much as any other guy, but a good percentage of the match was spent with HHH swinging a chair and shouting "END IT!". I'm not sure which was more painful - Bret/Vince at WM26, or this match. The SCM/Pedigree/finish kickout combo was cool, and I thought Triple H sold his anxiety/frustration at the inability to "get the job done" well enough, but this was not a good match. The cell served no purpose.

Team Johnny/Team Long was a clusterfuck. There was initially some average wrestling, but it quickly turned into a finisher match. The ending was predictable, and I'm already dreading Raw tonight where John Laurenitis will undoubtedly award all participating members of his team with good matches.

Punk/Jericho was not as good as I thought it would be, but it was still good. The No DQ stipulation was unnecessary and only served to convey Punk's frustration (because if the average viewer couldn't understand that he was frustrated at being called a bastard, bringing up his father's alcoholism and his sister's supposed pill problem, the message would surely be delivered by the fact that he couldn't use a chair in the match). Once we got that segment out of the way, the match had some very nice spots, and one of the best liontamers I have seen in a while.

Rock/Cena.. it started slow, they did the faceoff that Hogan/Rock did at WM18 to start the match, and for the first half of the match, put me to sleep. Rock had little to no ring rust, though, and the match picked up a bit. I called the finishing spot, but I still enjoyed it. I can't help but wonder why Rock was put over, though.. I'm guessing there's a bigger picture that we aren't seeing yet.

So there you go. Pretty much the same thing that everyone else has already said.

I posted the speeches a few posts up.

[quote name='xilly']Because at this point in the thread people are talking about Wrestlemania, not ROH. ROH was brought up in pretty good detail in the other one, that was your chance but you're quite late to the party on it.[/QUOTE]

There were 5 PPV's in 3 days. If Jay (or anyone else) wants to talk about the second ROH PPV only 2 days after it happened then he is more than welcome to. You're certainly in no position to be the arbiter of what is timely to be discussed or not. If you don't want to discuss it that's just fine but don't think you're some authority who gets to decide that there is a time limit for talking about past shows.

BTW, ROH was pretty glossed over in favor of discussion about the DGUSA show. You didn't even get that right.

Heaven forbid anyone ask that someone not post random shit in the middle of a flurry of posts about something else. God, what a tyrant I am.

[quote name='neocisco']BTW, ROH was pretty glossed over in favor of discussion about the DGUSA show. You didn't even get that right.[/QUOTE]

Well between the cheaper price on the DGUSA show along with the technical mess up on the ROH show... yeah I can't fault folks for talking about the DGUSA show.

[quote name='xilly']Heaven forbid anyone ask that someone not post random shit in the middle of a flurry of posts about something else. God, what a tyrant I am.[/QUOTE]

A post about wrestling in a thread about wrestling is "random", huh? Someone call Mensa, we have a new candidate for membership.

I haven't finished the ROH shows yet and if I see something I want to discuss guess what I'm going to post and guess where I'm going to post it.

At what point did I complain that he was talking about wrestling? I couldn't possibly care less that he's talking about indie backyard trampoline xtreme combat e-fed wrestling, I just asked why he always shows up to talk about it in the middle of an obviously involved conversation that the majority (in this case: all) of the posts are talking about.

JayTheGameFan, unlike a lot of others, I don't mind that you critique shows and give recaps. In fact, I often read them. I didn't mean it disrespectfully, it was a simple question.

[quote name='xilly']At what point did I complain that he was talking about wrestling? I couldn't possibly care less that he's talking about indie backyard trampoline xtreme combat e-fed wrestling, I just asked why he always shows up to talk about it in the middle of an obviously involved conversation that the majority (in this case: all) of the posts are talking about.

JayTheGameFan, unlike a lot of others, I don't mind that you critique shows and give recaps. In fact, I often read them. I didn't mean it disrespectfully, it was a simple question.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xilly']Heaven forbid anyone ask that someone not post random shit in the middle of a flurry of posts about something else. God, what a tyrant I am.[/QUOTE]

You complained about which wrestling he posted about. He posted about a wrestling event from only 2 days ago in a wrestling thread. That doesn't even come close to qualifying as "random".

[quote name='neocisco']You complained about which wrestling he posted about. He posted about a wrestling event from only 2 days ago in a wrestling thread. That doesn't even come close to qualifying as "random".[/QUOTE]

Semantics about my choice of words? I thought it was pretty clear that by "random shit" I meant anything that wasn't what the current conversation was about. Cute.

Just one question..
ndOnA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back