Devil May Cry HD Collection $38.XX with Free Shipping (PS3 and XB360)

The porting is flawless. This HD Collection is totally a must have. I've got the 360 version, but I've heard PS3 players echo the same sentiment. Totally worth the price.

[quote name='United_Korea']why does the ps3 version's box art look like ass?[/QUOTE]

Capcom NA was super lazy and copied the cover of the European "Classics HD" branding.

Getting this today. Love DMC and the port looks fine. Aside from 4:3 menus and few prerendered cutscenes that didnt get a touch up. o well wat r u gunna do? Gameplay is where its at!

4-5% off, basically the quick picks discount which isn't bad if you want it right now. I haven't touched my MGS or Sly Collections yet so I'll wait but thanks for tempting me again.

It was released early by a few retailers, like Gamestop.

The PS3 version is apparently worse than the 360 version, oddly. That's based on user reviews I've seen, so take it with a good-sized grain of salt. I have no preference for either console, except that I do prefer the PS3 controller. I try to study up on which platform is the optimal console platform for any given game. Bayonetta was definitely better on the 360, Spider-man 3 was definitely better on the PS3.

I'm probably gonna wait until I can get this for $30 or less.

[quote name='pwnthee']It was released early by a few retailers, like Gamestop.

The PS3 version is apparently worse than the 360 version, oddly. That's based on user reviews I've seen, so take it with a good-sized grain of salt. I have no preference for either console, except that I do prefer the PS3 controller. I try to study up on which platform is the optimal console platform for any given game. Bayonetta was definitely better on the 360, Spider-man 3 was definitely better on the PS3.

I'm probably gonna wait until I can get this for $30 or less.[/QUOTE]

The only issue I've ever seen from reading numerous reviews are issues with old CRTs... one person complained about the audio desyncing. Otherwise, both the PS3 and 360 ports are pretty much perfect.

Its been 30 bucks at lockerz since last week. Will take about a week to get it though since their shipping is slow but so is amazon, I'm still waiting for my 3 games from the b2g1 free deal.

[quote name='GuardianE']The only issue I've ever seen from reading numerous reviews are issues with old CRTs... one person complained about the audio desyncing. Otherwise, both the PS3 and 360 ports are pretty much perfect.[/QUOTE]

I had to review the ps3 version and the graphical issues killed it for me. Most of the cutscenes/menus are in 4:3, quite a few textures in dmc1 look like ass, the letterbox formatting in Lucia may cry doesn't even cover the whole bottom of the screen, etc. Also, the game just doesn't look right converted to 16:9 since all of the characters get that taller/slimmer effect going on.

It's my least favorite of the hd collections out so far because of the rush job, but at least the game still plays damn good

[quote name='chunlirocks']I bought this last wed bro

TC is a week late[/QUOTE]

But it cost $1 more back then. Now is the time to buy for those waiting for a great deal!!!

[quote name='Byakurai']I had to review the ps3 version and the graphical issues killed it for me. Most of the cutscenes/menus are in 4:3, quite a few textures in dmc1 look like ass, the letterbox formatting in Lucia may cry doesn't even cover the whole bottom of the screen, etc. Also, the game just doesn't look right converted to 16:9 since all of the characters get that taller/slimmer effect going on.

It's my least favorite of the hd collections out so far because of the rush job, but at least the game still plays damn good[/QUOTE]

Those aren't graphical glitches or bugs. DMC1 textures look like ass? How many of these HD collections redo the texture work? The answer is none. DMC1 came out in 2001... the fact that it looks good at all is a testament to how classic the game is. I can't speak for DMC2, but quite frankly, you should not be evaluating the merits of this collection based on that game. It was essentially included as a "freebie." I mean, it should be taken into account for a final review, but ultimately I don't think it should influence anybody.

The 4:3 menus, I can understand, but... they're just menus. I mean, really. And the majority of cutscenes are in-game, and 16:9, not 4:3. The pre-rendered cutscenes are unfortunately 4:3, but that simply can't be changed without completely remaking the FMVs, which is impractical.

Also, you are aware that they didn't stretch the image to 16:9, they actually expanded the view to widescreen, right? There is no taller/slimmer effect in either DMC1 or DMC3 (again, can't speak on DMC2, but I'd wager the same thing in that one). I don't mean to be rude, but if you were reviewing the HD collection for a site, I hope that you would acknowledge these differences from actual glitches... and in the case of ratio, you're flat out wrong.

If this is your least favorite collection, then you clearly didn't play the Silent Hill Collection, or the RE4 HD release.

[quote name='United_Korea']why does the ps3 version's box art look like ass?[/QUOTE]
The cover that was released when rumors first started popping up looked so much better than what they came up with

devil_may_cry_hd_collection.jpg

[quote name='GuardianE']Those aren't graphical glitches or bugs. DMC1 textures look like ass? How many of these HD collections redo the texture work? The answer is none. DMC1 came out in 2001... the fact that it looks good at all is a testament to how classic the game is. I can't speak for DMC2, but quite frankly, you should not be evaluating the merits of this collection based on that game. It was essentially included as a "freebie." I mean, it should be taken into account for a final review, but ultimately I don't think it should influence anybody.

The 4:3 menus, I can understand, but... they're just menus. I mean, really. And the majority of cutscenes are in-game, and 16:9, not 4:3. The pre-rendered cutscenes are unfortunately 4:3, but that simply can't be changed without completely remaking the FMVs, which is impractical.

Also, you are aware that they didn't stretch the image to 16:9, they actually expanded the view to widescreen, right? There is no taller/slimmer effect in either DMC1 or DMC3 (again, can't speak on DMC2, but I'd wager the same thing in that one). I don't mean to be rude, but if you were reviewing the HD collection for a site, I hope that you would acknowledge these differences from actual glitches... and in the case of ratio, you're flat out wrong.

If this is your least favorite collection, then you clearly didn't play the Silent Hill Collection, or the RE4 HD release.[/QUOTE]

Taken from Capcom's press releases: "Upgraded visuals – Experience the stylish gothic action that the series is best known for in stunning HD, with updated textures and widescreen support"

I'm entitled to wanting a remaster to touch up the things that stick out the most. With so many of the pre-rendered cutscenes and menus just looking out of place, I had to wonder if Foundation 9 gave up part way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series and didn't mind paying $40. I just wish that the collection transitioned better. The updated controls in DMC1 alone would've been enough for me to buy the game.

[quote name='GuardianE']Those aren't graphical glitches or bugs. DMC1 textures look like ass? How many of these HD collections redo the texture work? The answer is none. [/QUOTE]Um, the first of these collections, GoW did just that. Sly Cooper, MGS also had redone textures. Several others have as well

[quote name='VISCO']Are the old ones better than DMC4 cause I found that game boring[/QUOTE]

Yep. DMC3 is one of the greatest actions games ever made.
[quote name='Byakurai']Taken from Capcom's press releases: "Upgraded visuals – Experience the stylish gothic action that the series is best known for in stunning HD, with updated textures and widescreen support"

I'm entitled to wanting a remaster to touch up the things that stick out the most. With so many of the pre-rendered cutscenes and menus just looking out of place, I had to wonder if Foundation 9 gave up part way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series and didn't mind paying $40. I just wish that the collection transitioned better. The updated controls in DMC1 alone would've been enough for me to buy the game.[/QUOTE]

I think there was just a practical element to it. All of the other HD releases that I've seen only have in-game cutscenes (MGS, ICO, RE4, GoW) or had originally letterbox FMVs anyway (so they could really just be blown up). They could have done something with the menus, I'll agree. The FMVs are a lost cause. Sure, they could have done more.

I just have to take a look at the Silent Hill HD collection to see how badly things could have gone with this port. It's solid. It's not MGS or GoW quality, but it's solid nonetheless.

[quote name='Havok83']Um, the first of these collections, GoW did just that. Sly Cooper, MGS also had redone textures. Several others have as well[/QUOTE]

You're right. I misspoke. God of War did touch up the texturework, but they didn't completely redo it. God of War already had impressive textures to begin with. DMC1 didn't really have that luxury for a lot of backgrounds and other effects (otherwise not noticeable on a SD TV). The textures for the DMC Collection are retouched, and they added some AA.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GuardianE']Also, you are aware that they didn't stretch the image to 16:9, they actually expanded the view to widescreen, right? There is no taller/slimmer effect in either DMC1 or DMC3 (again, can't speak on DMC2, but I'd wager the same thing in that one). I don't mean to be rude, but if you were reviewing the HD collection for a site, I hope that you would acknowledge these differences from actual glitches... and in the case of ratio, you're flat out wrong.[/QUOTE]
I was originally under the impression that the game had been stretched for 16:9 displays based on what I had been told. Having taken the time to make the comparisons myself it is clearly as GuardianE says: the game properly implements widescreen without any issue.

This did come out last week because Capcom released it early. I believe it was posted on the US PS Blog, last week, too.

I sold my copies on PS2 to grab this, but not in any hurry. In CAG fashion... $20 or less! *sits and waits*

Thanks for the post, though, OP. People should really play these games. I played them all pretty near Day One.

Yes, I even pre-ordered DMC2 and played it all (pretty much in 2 days) and then returned it. It sucks.

[quote name='timberwolfbobby']Price is 39.96 now. This "deal" is dead.[/QUOTE]

Its still .03 cheaper. A new deal thread should be made for it. :D

I think that Capcom did the same thing as Konami in regards to aspect ratio, so instead of having a wider view, you just get a zoomed-in view with the top an bottom cropped to make it fit in 16:9.

Been playing all weekend and DMC was a lot easier this time around. Seems like the controls and jump/grab function got some slight tweaks too. platinumed this one in 23 hours. The files trophy was fucking me up.

[quote name='dohdough']I think that Capcom did the same thing as Konami in regards to aspect ratio, so instead of having a wider view, you just get a zoomed-in view with the top an bottom cropped to make it fit in 16:9.

Been playing all weekend and DMC was a lot easier this time around. Seems like the controls and jump/grab function got some slight tweaks too. platinumed this one in 23 hours. The files trophy was fucking me up.[/QUOTE]

How do you get the files achievement? I missed that one myself.

Capcom, or rather, Foundation 9, didn't do the zoom-in method as far as I can tell, thank god.

[quote name='GuardianE']How do you get the files achievement? I missed that one myself.[/quote]
You have to go to the Enemy Files in the menu to see which entries you missed. Each enemy has paragraphs in each entry to unlock. Gamefaqs has the definitive list.

Capcom, or rather, Foundation 9, didn't do the zoom-in method as far as I can tell, thank god.
Certain parts seem really zoomed-in and others not so much. The stairs in the castle seem zoomed-in to me, but there's slight cropping at the top and bottom for sure in most of the game. But upon checking, you're right, they didn't go completely MGS hd zoom.

[quote name='hwmusic']if i liked bayonetta even though i hated it out of frustration sometimes is this a must buy?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

i never played any DMC but I played through bayonetta and had a love/hate relationship with it. Its funny I went through the whole game not realizing I could open the treasure chest things to get new weapons, I thought those were for a 2nd playthrough or something because I couldn't figure out how to open them. So i probably made the game much harder on myself

bread's done
Back