Any PSP 1000 Gurus?! Not reading UMD

ChunLiBarbie

CAGiversary!
So, I bought this PSP 1000 on a gamble. It doesn't read discs and looks way better than expected.

1600KB
3.40 software
Wifi works(I went to Google on it)
Doesn't have the PlayStation Store
Tried to play Secret Saturdays:Beasts of the 5th Sun...keeps sounding like it's skipping/loading or something.

I have searched and searched. YouTube, Google...I'm soooo lost!

If I buy more memory, can I, atleast, download games onto this?

I am not getting a laser for this thing. I will spend $10 more to see what I can do with it.

Any Info?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it sound like gears grinding or slipping when the laser is trying to read the UMD? I replaced the front and back case (non OEM) on mine and the back case caused the UMD door to not sit right and caused the laser mechanism to grind.

If you say it looks really good, someone could have replaced the case. Or the laser could be shot. If you are comfortable with taking stuff apart its not too difficult, but it does take a while the first time.

You really should just move on and pick up a PSP-3000, much better screen (brighter with richer colors), slimmer, and probably more reliable due to the UMD load mechanisim (which is more reliable on the 2000/3000 series). Not worth the effort to troubleshoot a 1000 system, really.

[quote name='hpbbes']Does it sound like gears grinding or slipping when the laser is trying to read the UMD? I replaced the front and back case (non OEM) on mine and the back case caused the UMD door to not sit right and caused the laser mechanism to grind.

If you say it looks really good, someone could have replaced the case. Or the laser could be shot. If you are comfortable with taking stuff apart its not too difficult, but it does take a while the first time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And, it's a slipping sound.

[quote name='chimpmeister']You really should just move on and pick up a PSP-3000, much better screen (brighter with richer colors), slimmer, and probably more reliable due to the UMD load mechanisim (which is more reliable on the 2000/3000 series). Not worth the effort to troubleshoot a 1000 system, really.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I've been on the lookout for a clearance on 3000s. I, just, know as soon as I get one, they'll clearance them like they did the PSPgo for $31, $37, & $50.

Wish I didn't impulse buy this! UGH!:bomb: And, the Vita, I'd been thinking about those, but with freezing and pixel issues, not to mention how wierded-out I can be about buying new technology as soon as it comes out(bugs-n-things), as well as the memory cost!:cold:

Hmmm... Ok. I'm rambling and I do agree with you!

Thanks!:)

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Oh. Wait, lol. Could I buy a game on here? However, I don't see PSN.[/QUOTE]
You'll have to update the firmware in order to even log into the PSN Store. It's currently at firmware 6.60. Were you to do that, you could make a purchase without issue, provided you have enough space on your mem card.
It seems pretty obvious the previous owner was using this to pirate games. Depending on what you wanted to do with that PSP, updating it may defeat the entire purpose of your purchase.

[quote name='Vader582']You'll have to update the firmware in order to even log into the PSN Store. It's currently at firmware 6.60. Were you to do that, you could make a purchase without issue, provided you have enough space on your mem card.
It seems pretty obvious the previous owner was using this to pirate games. Depending on what you wanted to do with that PSP, updating it may defeat the entire purpose of your purchase.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to do any of that fancy stuff. Just play games! If this thing'll play games without the UMD drive working, I'll get a micro SD card and upgrade the firmware today!

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I don't want to do any of that fancy stuff. Just play games! If this thing'll play games without the UMD drive working, I'll get a micro SD card and upgrade the firmware today![/QUOTE]

From what you've said so far, it sounds like the PSP is bricked (dead), probably due to a failed attempt to hack it. If you can't even connect to the PSN store, how would you even be able to d/l games to the memory card to play them? Also, you don't want a micro sd card, you want a memory stick duo, or a memory stick micro with a duo adapter. While it is possible to get micro sd to duo adapters, the native memory cards for the PSP are memory stick duo or memory stick micro with duo adapter.

You should try to update the firmware before you buy anything else for this system. If that won't work, it doesn't sound good.

[quote name='chimpmeister']From what you've said so far, it sounds like the PSP is bricked (dead), probably due to a failed attempt to hack it. If you can't even connect to the PSN store, how would you even be able to d/l games to the memory card to play them? Also, you don't want a micro sd card, you want a memory stick duo, or a memory stick micro with a duo adapter. While it is possible to get micro sd to duo adapters, the native memory cards for the PSP are memory stick duo or memory stick micro with duo adapter.

You should try to update the firmware before you buy anything else for this system. If that won't work, it doesn't sound good.[/QUOTE]

It is impossible to brick a PSP 1000 software wise. It doesn't sound like a failed hack attempt at all, but just a bad UMD drive. He can't access the Playstation Store due to old firmware. Updating the firmware would provide him access to PSN. There shouldn't be any issues running digital games once the system software is updated.

O.P., have you tried running a second UMD game to see if the problem is with the game and not the drive? UMDs have a very thin protective layer and unfortunately damage very easily. I would check the UMD disk to see if there are scratches, debris, etc that would cause reading issues. I actually had a similar issue with a UMD game and had to trash it due to some debris getting on the disk that would not come off.

[quote name='chimpmeister']From what you've said so far, it sounds like the PSP is bricked (dead), probably due to a failed attempt to hack it. If you can't even connect to the PSN store, how would you even be able to d/l games to the memory card to play them? Also, you don't want a micro sd card, you want a memory stick duo, or a memory stick micro with a duo adapter. While it is possible to get micro sd to duo adapters, the native memory cards for the PSP are memory stick duo or memory stick micro with duo adapter.

You should try to update the firmware before you buy anything else for this system. If that won't work, it doesn't sound good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the memory stick info. Hopefully, the 1 I buy is good for other things if this doesn't work. As, it says 1600kb is not enough space to update.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']It is impossible to brick a PSP 1000 software wise. It doesn't sound like a failed hack attempt at all, but just a bad UMD drive. She can't access the Playstation Store due to old firmware. Updating the firmware would provide her access to PSN. There shouldn't be any issues running digital games once the system software is updated.

O.P., have you tried running a second UMD game to see if the problem is with the game and not the drive? UMDs have a very thin protective layer and unfortunately damage very easily. I would check the UMD disk to see if there are scratches, debris, etc that would cause reading issues. I actually had a similar issue with a UMD game and had to trash it due to some debris getting on the disk that would not come off.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Lol.

The UMD is new. Got it from Toys R Us. I'm going to try the firmware update and see what happens.

Thanks!

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I don't want to do any of that fancy stuff. Just play games! If this thing'll play games without the UMD drive working, I'll get a micro SD card and upgrade the firmware today![/QUOTE]
Sounds like you should be good to go then. Good luck!

I wouldn't recommend physical for PSP games. Seriously. Eventually you'll move to Vita and you'll be like me. Sitting with 15 cases of fantastic games staring you in the face.

[quote name='Vader582']Sounds like you should be good to go then. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks!:)

However.....I ordered a battery from someone on eBay. It should have been here earlier this week. This PSP asked me to plug it in and wait for the battery to start charging before it installs the update. Still hasn't started. AGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! The battery seller has 10's of thousands of sales and some others(+1) pissed about not getting their item. They've sold so many, their rating is at 99+%. I may try another eBay seller for a $5 battery. :cry:

[quote name='Smashbro29']I wouldn't recommend physical for PSP games. Seriously. Eventually you'll move to Vita and you'll be like me. Sitting with 15 cases of fantastic games staring you in the face.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic!:) Lol.

Thank you all SOOOOOOO MUCHHHH!!!!!!:D:whee::grouphug::bouncy::D

It ended up letting the download/install finish! I'm playing a demo!:D Being a newb to PSP/s, I can, definately, be patient and enjoy this! The graphics look Amaaazing!!!!

Sears has Sony Duo memory $7.xx for 2gb $12.xx for 4gb.

:D:D:D Hugs!

That's great to hear. PSPs are old, but there's a decent library of good games that are worth playing. I'm currently playing FF Tactics: War of the Lions (frame-rate lag be damned) and FF IV: Complete collection. Overall, IMO PSPs are great for RPGs on the go, or when you are about to sleep in your bed. If you aren't gonna mod (I got my 1000s for easy modding) just upgrade your batteries and you'll be good to go.

bread's done
Back