MadCatz Soul Calibur V Soul Edition Arcade Stick $100 XBOX/PS3

astr0boy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey there fight fans!

There is another deal floating around on the Hori Marvel vs. Capcom Stick for 109.99. However, I was cruising the SRK forums and Markman from MadCatz released a new coupon code for the Soul Calibur V Soul Edition stick for $60 off making the total $100 before shipping.

"$100 for the Soulcalibur V Arcade FightStick SOUL Edition! - http://madcatz.com/soulcalibur Use coupon code 'SCV100' for the discount! (NA store only)"

This arcade stick is designed to be more similar to the MadCatz Tournament Edition-S (Slim) than the regular TE sticks you may see. Some say its gaudy, but I think its pretty beautiful with a translucent case. It reminds me of the Chun Li TE-S.

As with all MadCatz pro sticks, this uses full Sanwa parts including joystick and buttons and I believe that the layout of the buttons is closer to the Sega Astro City style as opposed to Hori's Vewlix style.

Cheers.

Two superb deals ($100) in the last week for SCV sticks - one for Hori fans and this for MadCatz enthusiasts. Can't go wrong with either. IMO the artwork could be better but it ain't bad. This one has the SS screws I believe.
I did jump on this - thanks, astrOboy!

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Anyone else believe that more tourney stick will be discounted in the future with stxt version stick?[/QUOTE]

I don't think that the SFxT stick is going to be discounted any time soon. I own a red SFxT (aka the Fisher Price version) and in my opinion I think they cut corners on the construction. Not to mention that with the SFxT you can only access the inner components from the bottom as opposed to the top like TE sticks.

Also, if you ask me, the SFxT sticks look way too similar to the Hori HRAP series...

The regular SFxT stick is not that great. You can see complaints on the SRK forums. The high end one is much more solid. Also, this Soul Calibur stick is also pretty solid. I have a pic of it on my gallery. $100 is a great price for it too.

Hopefully the code is still active by Thursday night when I get paid, would love to finally get a stick for MvC2 and I would finally make myself pick up UMvC3.

[quote name='astr0boy']...There is another deal floating around on the Hori Marvel vs. Capcom Stick for 109.99. However, I was cruising the SRK forums and Markman from MadCatz released a new coupon code for the Soul Calibur V Soul Edition stick for $60 off making the total $100 before shipping.

"$100 for the Soulcalibur V Arcade FightStick SOUL Edition! - http://madcatz.com/soulcalibur Use coupon code 'SCV100' for the discount! (NA store only)"[/QUOTE]

Great price but don't forget that some states get charged tax also. I love the translucent case!

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Hasn't been a B1G1 on MadCatz since... fall 2010? Maybe 2009? Kinda bitter that I missed it![/QUOTE]

Last B1G1 was on the WWE brawl sticks, but madcatz never let's you choose across platforms you would have to get both PS3 ver or both 360 ver.

Gamestop actually had the better deal when they went for $30 for each brawl stick

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Hasn't been a B1G1 on MadCatz since... fall 2010? Maybe 2009? Kinda bitter that I missed it![/QUOTE]

[quote name='CaoPi']Last B1G1 was on the WWE brawl sticks, but madcatz never let's you choose across platforms you would have to get both PS3 ver or both 360 ver.

Gamestop actually had the better deal when they went for $30 for each brawl stick[/QUOTE]

The B1G1 free SE/TvC/Brawl (whatever's remaining in their inventory) sticks they do every 3-4 months. However, they've only done a handful of B1G1 free for TE's & the last time was a TE round 2 (gen1) over a year ago. I've NEVER seen them do it for gen 2+ sticks (TE-S, TE-S Chun-Li, MvC3, SFxT red, SFxT Pro, SFxT V.S. & SC5).

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']The B1G1 free SE/TvC/Brawl (whatever's remaining in their inventory) sticks they do every 3-4 months. However, they've only done a handful of B1G1 free for TE's & the last time was a TE round 2 (gen1) over a year ago. I've NEVER seen them do it for gen 2+ sticks (TE-S, TE-S Chun-Li, MvC3, SFxT red, SFxT Pro, SFxT V.S. & SC5).[/QUOTE]What's the difference with the second generation of fightsticks? Also, I'm glad you didn't mention the MLG stick, that thing is ugly as sin.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']What's the difference with the second generation of fightsticks? Also, I'm glad you didn't mention the MLG stick, that thing is ugly as sin.[/QUOTE]

Improved (more reliable) PCB is the main difference besides design BUT like I was saying earlier, I've had quite a few round 1 & 2 TE's yet never an issue once. Round 1/2 & TE-S Chun-Li doesn't have a full top panel plexi while the others have it. Also, all of the 2nd gen+ (besides the MvC3 & MLG sticks), have more narrow side/end pieces. Oh yeah, all of them (besides the SC5 stick) has a Vewlix layout. LOL, I forgot about the MLG stick until you mentioned it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep saving my money until I can get the MvC, TE-S or SFvT TE stick, though this is a pretty good deal.[/QUOTE]

No prob! Yeah, it's a pretty good deal. I'll probably cave in & get another Hori V3-SA (the UMvC3 version) since that's on sale right now too.

Anyone have an opinion on which stick is better between this one and the UMvC3 one on amazon? I just bought Skullgirls today (so amazing) and I'm looking to get a new stick for it.

[quote name='Goomba Stomper']Anyone have an opinion on which stick is better between this one and the UMvC3 one on amazon? I just bought Skullgirls today (so amazing) and I'm looking to get a new stick for it.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's really just personal preference mainly based on which button layout you prefer & aesthetics. If you prefer a Vewlix-style layout then more than likely you'll like the Hori UMvC3 stick better. However, if you prefer a Namco Noir (Sega Astro/Blast City P1) layout then the Madcatz SC5 stick will probably do it for you. Here are my pro's & con's of each:

Madcatz SC5:
Pro's:
- GORGEOUS multi-colored translucent case! :applause:
- Slightly heavier but won't make too much of a difference (6.25-pounds vs 4.8-pounds)
- Crazy looking bezel that's only available on this stick compared to other Madcatz TE's. The corners of the bezel are shaped like a sword unlike the regular TE's that have rounded off corners
- Easier to replace artwork even though it's pretty nice on this stick.
- Longer USB cable (13-ft vs 9.8-ft)

Con's:
- Not as comfy compared to the Hori after an extended duration of play
- USB cable storage compartment's slightly more cramped but might be due to the fact the cable's longer

Hori V3-SA (UMvC3):
Pro's:
- Angled wrist rest area's more comfy after an extended duration of play
- Easier to store USB cable in the compartment but then again it might be due to the fact the cable's shorter. Not really a big deal.
- Side overhangs (aka grab handles) are convenient when lifting/storing. These are handy for me when I lift it up & store it in my couch ottoman.

Con's:
- Not as heavy as the Madcatz but not really a big deal.
- More tedious to replace artwork but it can be done.

Sega Linbergh aka Astro/Blast City P1 aka Namco Noir (SC5 & Tekken) layout:

sega1_s.png

Taito Vewlix layout used on arcade sticks (current SF, MvC, etc.):

shift36_s.png

This is the precise Taito Vewlix layout used in actual arcades:

vewlix_s.png

They're both VERY easy to open & mod. With the Madcatz, you removed the top panel & with the Hori, you go in from the bottom metal panel. Reliability should be a wash up since they're both good sticks. I prefer the Hori mainly since it's more comfy after a long gaming session. Lemme know if you have more questions.

Thanks for the detailed comparison/analysis. I've played fighters for years but have still not taken the plunge to finally purchase a stick. I may now do so knowing this info.

[quote name='JoshTX']Thanks for the detailed comparison/analysis. I've played fighters for years but have still not taken the plunge to finally purchase a stick. I may now do so knowing this info.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome! Using arcade sticks brings back great memories growing up at the local arcades. You really can't lose regardless of which stick since they both have the same Sanwa parts.

[quote name='JoshTX']Thanks for the detailed comparison/analysis. I've played fighters for years but have still not taken the plunge to finally purchase a stick. I may now do so knowing this info.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome! Using arcade sticks brings back great memories growing up at the local arcades. You really can't lose regardless of which stick since they both have the same Sanwa parts.

other benefit of a hawt translucent case...more LED potential.

Just ordered one, shipping hurts alittle but the code makes it a great deal. To upgrade one of the smaller joysticks i.e. WWE or Tekken it would cost close to this price anyway if you had someone do it for you. I'm definitely changing the art. thanks OP.

[quote name='Goomba Stomper']Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed post, Nuckin! That helps a lot![/QUOTE]

You're welcome! So which stick are you getting? I caved & got another V3-SA (UMvC3) stick, LOL!

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']You're welcome! So which stick are you getting? I caved & got another V3-SA (UMvC3) stick, LOL![/QUOTE]

I'm thinking the UMvC stick. The button layout looks a little more my style and the more comfortable with extended use got me. Now if I can get a cool Skullgirls skin on it I'll be set. Thanks again!

[quote name='Goomba Stomper']I'm thinking the UMvC stick. The button layout looks a little more my style and the more comfortable with extended use got me. Now if I can get a cool Skullgirls skin on it I'll be set. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Fo sure! It shouldn't be too hard since there are templates available for this stick on SRK. I've had 3 - 4 of these sticks & every time I sell it, I'm hesitant. There's always a reason why I keep coming back to it as my main daily stick (so comfy). It's either that or I'm so dayam undecisive, haha!

[quote name='astr0boy']I got my stick in today. It looks pretty awesome. I've uploaded some pics for you CAGs that might be on the fence about it.

8T9rzl.jpg

ALBUM:
http://imgur.com/a/3Q6ss#0[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised you haven't modded them further. The TEs seem stock. I'm working on some new art for my Hori stick, but having trouble finding good images of characters etc to put in it due to the size of the template required.. Know a good place to find high res images for this?

I'm glad this deal ran after the Hori one. I'm starting to love my Hori SC5 stick, but I might have bitten on this one instead due to the case.

just going to chime in with my thoughts. I don't have this particular stick but i have multiple TEs and I have the hori soul calibur one that was posted recently for $100. I've found that I prefer the mad catz sticks. they feel more solid and even though I have fairly big hands I find the mad catz stick more comfortable. I also just think the build quality is better. one example I can give is one of the nuts holding in the top panel screw in the upper left fell off when I went to replace the gate on the Hori. luckily I was able to use a longer screw to run down into the cord compartment and lock down the top left of the panel that way, instead of having to take apart the stick and figure out some other way to do it.

I may be biased here because I've used TEs for years, to me they just seem perfect. so i would recommend this stick or a TE over the hori.

Yeah, madcatz really knocked one out of tr ballpark with their collection of tourney sticks. I remember the first TE stick came out, the demand for that thing was so overwhelming that many of them were for 500 bucks on eBay during those first early release when sf4 released together. Its weird to see of all ppl that it was madcatz who produced these fine sticks. I own two TE sticks myself and I must say, these are awesome. I am not a fan of their super street fighter 4 s version, I am more of a fan of their first two TE stick release because of white bezel on the side makes it more arcade accurate ecstatically.

I have two of the madcatz sticks for sale if anyone is interested.

I will price match and go half on shipping on one 360 stick if anyone is thinking about jumping on the deal.

bread's done
Back