Deathsmiles (360) - Walmart Clearance - YMMV

[quote name='AftComet']Have absolutely no idea what that is.[/QUOTE]

I would say you have no grounds to judge this game on a mere video then.

Let's not get all grumpy. It's a fair, but incorrect conclusion, if basing one's opinion solely on videos.

@AftComet: It's a shoot-em-up made by CAVE, a Japanese company famous for their arcade shooters. All their games have totally bizarre themes and visuals, but are super difficult "bullet-hell shooters" with a huge cult following. Often their games are hard to get on console, or are really expensive and import only. With that in mind, one of theirs for cheap at Walmart is a good deal for fans.

[quote name='telepathy']Do you even play shumps?[/QUOTE]

Huh?

But seriously, don't blame him for not knowing, it's not like it's the latest Call of Duty game. My buddy loves Deathsmiles, but I guess he's a big fan of these games. They're definitely not for everyone!

[quote name='Nukkus']I would say you have no grounds to judge this game on a mere video then.[/QUOTE]

That's like saying someone can't comment on the looks of a bridge because they're not engineers. Ridiculous.

If the guy finds that a game looks boring he's more than entitled to have his say. I used to play schmups and I fucking hate them, they're boring, the market's over-saturated and I'm not stimulated at all by them.

I'm with the guy who thinks it looks bad. I just watched about 5 minutes of gameplay (or more). All I can think of is "Geometry Wars", but 4 times the price. It looks very boring and repetitive, especially since - in order to be really good at this game, you need to kill things the instant they are peeking onto the screen (memorizing the stage).

Don't flame the guy who thinks it looks bad, cause it does - weather he watches a video or not. A video of game play sure does tell a lot. I'm not saying its an easy game... far from it, but enjoyable? Nope.

I will still thank the original poster for posting anything that he thinks is a deal, since one day I may be looking for a game that most people think is bad, but I love. So thanks for posting.

This discussion is totally not related to the sale anymore, but I never thought anything of these CAVE games until playing them on iOS and now I'm a huge fan. The experience is so Zen. So, I'm a convert, but I don't have a 360.

Obviously if you don't like shoot-em-ups you won't like Deathsmiles, but if you do it's a very good one. I'm not great at these types of games but I do enjoy them and I played through this one a number of times.

Thanks OP! I'm going to check my Walmart after work. I'm a casual fan of shmups, and I wasn't willing to spring for this at the full price. Under $20 for a full retail shmup with good reviews is a good price for me.

I have literally never seen Deathsmiles anywhere outside of ebgames, so I'm surprised to see Walmart of all places supposedly carries it.

Guess I'll be visiting Walmart again.

[quote name='mrsamsa']No idea how YMMV this is, but I saw Deathsmiles in the clearance section at the Airdrie, AB Walmart, it was $18.97 or so. Not listed on their site, so no link.

Edit: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/deathsmiles/critic-reviews It has pretty good metacritic reviews. Most of the negative ones talk about it only being for shooter fans, or being too pricey.[/QUOTE]

Not clearance. That is the regular price now for the last couple months.

[quote name='kathos']That's like saying someone can't comment on the looks of a bridge because they're not engineers. Ridiculous.

If the guy finds that a game looks boring he's more than entitled to have his say. I used to play schmups and I fucking hate them, they're boring, the market's over-saturated and I'm not stimulated at all by them.[/QUOTE]
i disagree. The space shooter category is very niche. So when you don't know what a shoot-em-up is and you call it boring.. well that's not an interesting or useful opinion. This genre has degraded so much so that for the most part it ONLY appeals to fan. We all know and assume that if you don't like shoot-em-ups you'll find it boring/dull/outdated.

That said matsam is right.. if he doesn't know he doesn't know.. no big deal.

This is the one where the ship was a schoolgirl.. how Japanese. It looked somewhat interesting. It it wasn't Ikaruga hard and I had an Xbox I might even consider buying it for.. maybe $12 max.

[quote name='ShadowSx']The Limited Edition can be had for $14.99 @ Newegg (FS/no tax)[/QUOTE]if i had an xbox, a canadian credit card, and liked what i saw in say 4 more videos.. I'd bite.

[quote name='Wolfkin']i disagree. The space shooter category is very niche. So when you don't know what a shoot-em-up is and you call it boring.. well that's not an interesting or useful opinion. This genre has degraded so much so that for the most part it ONLY appeals to fan. We all know and assume that if you don't like shoot-em-ups you'll find it boring/dull/outdated.

That said matsam is right.. if he doesn't know he doesn't know.. no big deal.

This is the one where the ship was a schoolgirl.. how Japanese. It looked somewhat interesting. It it wasn't Ikaruga hard and I had an Xbox I might even consider buying it for.. maybe $12 max. [/QUOTE]

I think the issue is not that the genre has degraded, but more along the line that it has not evolved at all. 10-20 years later and these games are basically exactly the same except now with different visuals and I also agree that the price Cave was initially asking for the game was way too much.

Anyways in my mind, threads in this section are meant to convey deals about particular games to others and maybe inform them more on if the game has any issues before you purchase them along with some general discussion about the subject. If you don't like the game the thread is about then that's fine, but keep your opinion to yourself.

Going into a thread and just saying "Man this game sucks!" is just asking to try and start something.

@ShadowSx: Was that only for a specific period of time? because when I go Newegg now it shows up as 30$ for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's newegg.com that has the deal, not newegg.ca. Not as useful for us north of the border, of course. Regular edition is $9.99 with free shipping there as well.

[quote name='InfernoChaos']@ShadowSx: Was that only for a specific period of time? because when I go Newegg now it shows up as 30$ for me.[/QUOTE]

Actually found a copy, too bad it wasn't the LE that was the only available option originally; tho these bargain bin things typically are just excess from the US. Also, a little beat up but doesn't matter since i'm playing the damn things. eh

I also grabbed a copy of Otomedius Excellent for the same price ... I kinda felt icky grabbing it, tho it's a space shooter, I 'typically' can't say no. And since I was shopping with my wife, she found herself a sealed copy of Witcher 2 LE, so this means, while I'll be flying around with underaged girls, she'll be sex0ring it up with Polish chicks. Win/ win? o_O

[quote name='Skullz_69']Stupid question... But what does YMMV mean?[/QUOTE]

Your mileage may vary.

I've seen Deathsmiles at Walmart's bargin bins at $20 for a number of months... even as far back as last year. If you're into these shooters, Otomedius is also $20 at Walmart.

bread's done
Back