Vita - Resistance: Burning Skies - Out Now - $39.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
6048804032_35387fd685_z-440x247.jpg

Story

August 1951: the attack on North America's east coast begins…

As New Jersey fire fighter and National Guardsman Tom Riley, you’re about to come face to face with the brutal Chimeran invasion force in this blistering shooter built from the ground up for PlayStation®Vita System. The latest installment in the acclaimed Resistance franchise focuses on an all-new mission that parallels and complements the existing Resistance storyline, as Tom Riley rises from an everyday hero to a legend of the Resistance.

Multiplayer

We at Nihilistic Software are excited to finally be able to pull the wraps off Multiplayer for Resistance: Burning Skies, coming May 29th for PlayStation Vita!

In addition to its all-new single player campaign, Burning Skies features an online (via Wi-Fi) multiplayer in which you and up to seven of your friends can compete over PlayStation Network! We know you’ve all been asking about multiplayer in Burning Skies, so please enjoy the first look at it in this new trailer!

When designing Resistance: Burning Skies, our goal was to bring a high-quality console experience to a handheld, and thanks to the power of the Vita, we’ve ended up with an unprecedented mobile FPS. Experience the dual analog sticks for precision aiming, touch screen interactivity for precise and quick secondary weapon fires, and portable online connectivity.

We’ve just showcased that game at an event in NYC, showing off some of the cool things we’re doing with online:

8 player multiplayer – Small games feature intense 2 vs. 2 combat and large games going all the way up to 4 on 4 action. Choose between Quick Match: a fast and easy way to get up and playing immediately by jumping in an automatic matchmaking session or Party with Friends: use the Vita’s cross-game Party application and Party up with friends to join private matches and take advantage of Party with voice chat.

Rank Up! – Killing enemies and winning matches is the easiest way to earn XP and Rank Up. Be rewarded with bonus XP for your daring feats of skill. For example, you may find yourself well rewarded for killing multiple enemies with a skilled grenade toss. Unlock all your favorite weapons and upgrades from the story campaign as you Rank Up.

Modify & customize your weapons - Upgrades you purchase can be slotted and unslotted from weapons at will, with some even giving your weapons a distinctive visual look. Purchase upgrades for weapons that best suit your personal playstyle. For example, the fan favorite Bullseye can be upgraded with Explosive Tag – which gives your Bullseye Tags and extra explosive kick. But keep in mind if you’re killed, your enemies may pick up your upgraded weapons and use them against you!

Connect Everywhere – You can connect with the PlayStation community no matter where you are via Wi-Fi and 3G through social features including leaderboards and NEAR, PlayStation Vita’s location-based service. Through NEAR, Resistance: Burning Skies introduces a new social perk awarding players valuable XP multipliers to carry into multiplayer battle. Stay tuned as we get closer to launch for all the details on NEAR.

Online play in Resistance: Burning Skies will feature three game modes – Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and a very unique third mode which we’ll be revealing next week. There will be six playable maps, taking you everywhere from the streets of Staten Island to the docks of Bayonne, NJ. You’ll be able to vote prior to each match, allowing you to take the battle between the humans and Chimera to a variety of locales from the game.

Resistance: Burning Skies will be available in North America in stores and on the PSN May 29th for $39.99. But you don’t have to wait til then; if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, join us to go hands-on with Resistance: Burning Skies multiplayer next week! Read the details and RSVP here.

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVkzqz1h4IE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-plUxwQcls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeWm9QCe5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VITBqJhgiXA

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched the youtube trailer of the game. The gun sound effects sounded like paintball guns. And the multiplayer is only 8 players. I could have sworn some psp fps games had more.

I pre-ordered this back when it was part of Target's B2G1 free (my order wasn't cancelled). However, after Target shipped two of the three games, they cancelled R:Burning Sky :whistle2:( The other two games were charged proportionally... I want this!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/23/resistance-burning-skies-reveals-survival-mode/

Details on the survival mode:
Over the last couple of weeks we’ve been talking a lot about the highly anticipated multiplayer mode for Resistance: Burning Skies for PS Vita. Supporting up to eight players over WiFi with a robust arsenal of powerful weapons and the precision and accuracy that come with dual-analog controls, Resistance: Burning Skies is sure to be the best FPS multiplayer experience available on a handheld. We’ve already lifted the lid on the first two modes, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, and just last week at an event in San Francisco we revealed the title’s last multiplayer mode, Survival Mode, an intense power struggle between humans and the gruesome Chimera.

Survival mode pits the players against each other in a race to the finish where only the strong survive. Here’s how it works: in a battle of humans vs. Chimera, six players start as humans and two as Chimera. As the Chimera players make a kils, their human victims are resurrected as Chimera so the balance slowly shifts. As the battle continues, the winner is the human player who lasts the longest in a match. We keep a timer running as you play so you can track your progress.

We really wanted to offer something that was unique to Resistance, keeping with the franchise’s theme around humanity’s struggle to survive against overwhelming odds. We wanted the game to start relatively simple for the humans and then become increasingly harder over time, much like the way the Chimera invaded Asia, then Europe and then America in a flood. Previous Resistance games have had modes similar to this, but Survival is our own special twist to create a new mode that focuses on the balance of power changes. Sure, the humans initially have the upper hand, but as they fall, they fuel the other team. We’ve had several matches in the office that have spectators cheering on the lone surviving human. Everyone knows it’s just a matter of time, but finding that last person is a total adrenaline rush!

We’ve been having a lot of fun developing and testing this mode, and we’ve collected a few tips and tricks along the way that might help you survive a little longer. The first thing, and actually contrary to traditional MP gameplay, is that staying still actually works to your advantage. You might want to try and get behind players so as they start searching an area, you can actually hop back against their search pattern. Dark areas are your friend! We’ve also found that you don’t want to hide next to areas like steam vents because, although obscuring, the motion tends to attract attention. Here’s another tip; always go for the head. The ability to quickly neutralize your opponent and then move on is a huge advantage. This may be hide-and -seek, but your prey is armed! Don’t hang around after you’ve killed someone, bodies are pretty obvious signs that someone is nearby.

In addition to the Survival details, we’re also here to let folks know that we’ll be doing a pre-order bonus for Resistance: Burning Skies, and it’s going to give you a pretty nice advantage as you start your own multiplayer experience. When you pre-order Resistance: Burning Skies at participating retailers, you’ll receive a special bonus that gives you a jump start straight to level five in multiplayer. This should be enough experience for you to unlock your first grenade upgrade (the Hedgehog, which can be used as an area of effect weapon of destruction or placed like a landmine for unsuspecting victims to stumble upon) as well as your first weapon upgrade. In addition to the MP booster, we’re also giving you three character avatars based on Burning Skies’ lead characters Riley, Ellie and a Chimera, along with a custom PS Vita lock screen theme. Hopefully, this will be all the head start you need to pown your friends.

Let us know what you think of the new Survival mode.

Looks interesting for sure, previews are sayingthe single player is weak. Being the first shooter on Vita I hope it does well. I am still on the fence about this one.

[quote name='akir']What is the point in shelling out monthly for 3G if you'll need wifi for games like this anyway?[/QUOTE]

There really is no point unless you want your psn friend's list with you.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...rning-skies-ps-vita-features-and-trophy-list/

It's gold, so there's a new trailer about its features and the trophy list:
Shooter fans everywhere are starting to get excited since we’re now less than a month away from the May 29th release of Resistance: Burning Skies. Two weeks ago, we introduced the world to Burning Skies’ competitive multiplayer experience, and so far, we’ve been thrilled with how much fans and media have enjoyed playing it! I know many of you are chomping at the bit to get out there and start taking the war against the Chimera online, so you’ll be happy to hear that last week, Resistance: Burning Skies went gold. To celebrate, we’d like to show you our new trailer, which focuses on the game’s unique feature set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVkzqz1h4IE

Resistance: Burning Skies brings a lot of “firsts” to the PS Vita – First-ever dual-analog FPS control on a portable device, the first competitive multiplayer shooter experience on the PS Vita, and the first support for Party voice chat. The real question though, is who is going to be the first to Platinum Resistance: Burning Skies? In order to help you along, we thought we’d share the game’s Trophy list:

Trophy Name - Rank - Description
Platinum - Platinum - Earn all trophies
Staten Island - Bronze - Successfully complete level 1
Hidden - Trophy - Gold
Upgrade - Bronze - Upgrade a weapon in Single Player Campaign
Combine - Silver - Upgrade both slots in Single Player Campaign
Customize - Gold - Upgrade all weapons in Single Player Campaign
Indiscriminate - Bronze - Kill an enemy with every weapon in the Single Player Campaign
Variety - Bronze - Use the Secondary Fire of each weapon in the Single Player Campaign
Dangerous - Bronze - Kill 250 Chimera in the Single Player Campaign
Deadly - Silver - Kill 500 Chimera in the Single Player Campaign
Lethal - Gold - Kill 1000 Chimera in the Single Player Campaign
Axed - Silver - Kill 50 Chimera with Riley’s Axe in the Single Player Campaign
Overheat - Silver - Kill 50 Chimera by detonating their heat stacks in the Single Player Campaign
Boom - Silver - Kill 100 Chimera with headshots in the Single Player Campaign
Impaled - Silver - Kill an Impaler
Executed - Silver - Kill an Executioner
Giant - Gold - Kill any combination of 18 Impalers or Executioners
Hidden Trophy - Gold
Hidden Trophy - Gold
Incite - Gold - Complete one round of Multiplayer

There are also 5 more Trophies we didn’t mention to avoid any spoilers, but that list should get you started. Keep your eyes peeled over the next few weeks, because there’s much more to come before May 29th. Also, if you missed our last post, we’re offering some nice goodies when you pre-order your copy of Resistance: Burning Skies today!

Looking good, I will prolly trade in RE: ORC in for the 30% extra credit at GS. Though I'm hoping this won't abruptly disappoint me as that game did.

[quote name='buffdrew84']Any good place to preorder this? I'm not really interested in going to gamestop[/QUOTE]

You can pretty much preorder it anywhere, is there something in particular you are looking for?

[quote name='jello44']You can pretty much preorder it anywhere, is there something in particular you are looking for?[/QUOTE]

Just trying to see if anywhere else has any bonus for pre ordering it. Id prefer b/m store as I have the cash for it.

Amazon has the same pre-order bonus as Gamestop.
http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Bu...W93S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337020558&sr=8-1

chimeraThumb._SL75_V150973157_.jpg

Resistance: Burning Skies Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Resistance: Burning Skies and receive bonuses for your game, including the Multiplayer Booster, which gives you a jump on the competition by starting at level 5 in Multiplayer, allowing you to unlock the first tier of weapon customization options. Also receive 3 Avatars, including Riley, Ellie, and a fearsome Chimera. The Vita Lock Screen Theme bonus lets you customize your PS Vita lock screen with a Resistance theme. Codes will be e-mailed within two days after release date. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. See more product promotions

[quote name='wolverine81']Amazon has the same pre-order bonus as Gamestop.
http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Bu...W93S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337020558&sr=8-1

chimeraThumb._SL75_V150973157_.jpg

Resistance: Burning Skies Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Resistance: Burning Skies and receive bonuses for your game, including the Multiplayer Booster, which gives you a jump on the competition by starting at level 5 in Multiplayer, allowing you to unlock the first tier of weapon customization options. Also receive 3 Avatars, including Riley, Ellie, and a fearsome Chimera. The Vita Lock Screen Theme bonus lets you customize your PS Vita lock screen with a Resistance theme. Codes will be e-mailed within two days after release date. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. See more product promotions[/QUOTE]

Well for crying out loud, didn't know you could have a custom lock screen until now.

[quote name='handsomepete']Well for crying out loud, didn't know you could have a custom lock screen until now.[/QUOTE]
It's one of the options when viewing pictures in the photo app that works like it does on iOS.

Im starting to think I shoukd wait until it comes out and see who has the best deal on it as I dont reaaly care about the multiplayer crap

I was pretty on the fence about this, mainly because this, Silent Hill, and Gravity Rush were all being released within about 3 weeks of each other. Now that Silent Hill got bumped, it's looking more and more likely that I'll snag this.

Plus, it appears that the days of big Vita sales have passed, so I don't see much point in waiting. Shit, Unit 13 has pretty muchs sat at $40 since release, with I think only that one week $30 Gamestop sale a while back.

Wound up preordering it even though I haven't played a whole lot of the series on the PS3. Got to get something to force me to take MLB The Show out of my Vita!

I think Fry's is going to have this for $34.99 on launch day, but it does me no good because of the tax. If Amazon had that same deal, I just might do it, but it's just so hard for me to pay that much money for a game. I'm a PC guy, and buy my games off Steam and Amazon digital downloads, and I get all my games for 5 bucks and $7.50. The idea of paying $35 or $40 for a portable game seems a bit nuts, but this is the biggest Vita game that will be available for quite some time.

I've been getting all my Vita games off Craiglist, used, for cheap, but I know it will be a LONG time before I see a used Resistance for $25 or less. If I do see one in the first month, then I know for sure that the multiplayer sucks.

Thesixthaxis gave it a 5.5 and playstation lifestyle gives it a 8.5 and destroctiod gave it a 20 or 2.0 or whatever.

Overall I'm reading great gameplay, but easy, a bit boring, and very short. 6 hours to a platinum according to IGN. Not enough to warrant $40, and I like resistance.

[quote name='6er']Thesixthaxis gave it a 5.5 and playstation lifestyle gives it a 8.5 and destroctiod gave it a 20 or 2.0 or whatever.

Overall I'm reading great gameplay, but easy, a bit boring, and very short. 6 hours to a platinum according to IGN. Not enough to warrant $40, and I like resistance.[/QUOTE]

Ehh that 2 is Jim Sterling being Jim Sterling, I generally don't put any weight into his reviews.

I have enough in credits to grab it from BB, but even now I am a little skeptical. Even though, I too enjoy the series.

Maybe I'll hold off, I dunno.

Even if I just chalk the 2 up to Sterling being Sterling, there are entirely too many other mediocre reviews floating around. That 5.5 from IGN is especially damning, to me.

At this point, I'm hoping for two things... that Gravity Rush doesn't suck, and that Sony has a great Vita showing at E3. Resistance and GR were really the two big post-launch window games, and to find out one of them is terrible isn't a great sign. Especially since, given the series AND it being the first FPS, it should have been a marquee title. I've enjoyed what I'm played on the Vita so far, but honestly... Sony isn't filling me with confidence here. I know it's shitty to pin that on one game, but still. Once we get past GR, Sony better announce a fucking amazing line-up at E3, or I'm really going to start questioning just why I spent all that money.

There's an interesting virus mechanic in multiplayer:
This isn’t all we have to share with you today though. You’ll remember back in April when we talked about Resistance: Burning Skies’ multiplayer modes we mentioned that through “near,” Resistance: Burning Skies introduces a new social perk which rewards players with XP multipliers that you can carry into multiplayer battle. Today we’re going to shed a little more light on exactly what that means.

So, as you play through the multiplayer experience in Resistance: Burning Skies, there’s a chance that you will become “infected” with a form of the Chimera virus. Although being infected with the Chimera virus didn’t end too well for Nathan Hale, these particular strains of the Chimera virus actually give you a bonus to your in-game XP multiplier. That means that you can have double and in some cases up to triple XP for a limited amount of time to gain levels and to unlock upgrades more quickly.

The really interesting part is that once you’re infected, through “near” you can spread the virus to your friends or drop it off as a gift to a fellow PS Vita player. Conversely you can also pick up the virus that’s been left behind by other Resistance players via “near.”

If you’re a shooter fan and enjoy portable gaming, get out there and pick up Resistance: Burning Skies today and join the fight against the Chimera on PS Vita!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-hits-ps-vita-today-watch-the-launch-trailer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuiMsqRB7nw#!

After reading several reviews I won't be getting this which is too bad since I had it Pre ordered and was looking forward to it. How about next time don't give a shit developer the rights to make a game that has been great on PS3.

Just picked up my copy from my local GameStop and I was the only preorder. Played about 30 minutes of the campaign on my lunch break and it plays just like the other Resistance games which is nice for a portable.

[quote name='jza1218']After reading the reviews I cancelled my order at GameStop. Hopefully gravity rush won't disappoint.[/QUOTE]

I was considering picking it up too but already have gravity rush paid off. Btw, as far as I know it got great reviews over in Japan. And the demo was great.

[quote name='007']Even if I just chalk the 2 up to Sterling being Sterling, there are entirely too many other mediocre reviews floating around. That 5.5 from IGN is especially damning, to me.

At this point, I'm hoping for two things... that Gravity Rush doesn't suck, and that Sony has a great Vita showing at E3. Resistance and GR were really the two big post-launch window games, and to find out one of them is terrible isn't a great sign. Especially since, given the series AND it being the first FPS, it should have been a marquee title. I've enjoyed what I'm played on the Vita so far, but honestly... Sony isn't filling me with confidence here. I know it's shitty to pin that on one game, but still. Once we get past GR, Sony better announce a fucking amazing line-up at E3, or I'm really going to start questioning just why I spent all that money.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, some gave it good reviews, most gave it mixed and a couple gave it not so good.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/resistance-burning-skies/critic-reviews

It's a shame, I was hoping this would be worth it.

Alright, I just finished the demo and it really isn't that bad. Resistance fans might enjoy it, but if you're in the market for a FPS on the system, you might want to pass.

Sound could use a little work, the guns sound... off. I was firing the Carbine and I swear it almost sounded like I was shooting a cap gun.

I never put much weight into reviews, as there have been plenty of games that flopped critically that I thoroughly enjoyed. Also, think of it this way: on Metacritic, 9 reviews were 7 and above, while 10 were 5 and above, with only 4 reviews below that. Majority still says it's a "good" game, and being a big fan of the series I'm sure that I'll at least like it. It's still an FPS on a portable, and while the Vita can do better than what we're used to, it'll probably never offer that AAA console experience(though it gets pretty darn close with other games IMO). 6 hour campaign with multiplayer is the golden standard for games like this, even for full-priced $60 console games. You'll get no complaints from me over that.

[quote name='jello44']Alright, I just finished the demo and it really isn't that bad. Resistance fans might enjoy it, but if you're in the market for a FPS on the system, you might want to pass.

Sound could use a little work, the guns sound... off. I was firing the Carbine and I swear it almost sounded like I was shooting a cap gun.[/QUOTE]

You did use headphones right? I'm sure the sounds would be much lower quality through the Vita speakers vs. headphones. Just asking, because I would be disappointed too if the sounds were that bad through headphones.

[quote name='Mixer236']I never put much weight into reviews, as there have been plenty of games that flopped critically that I thoroughly enjoyed. Also, think of it this way: on Metacritic, 9 reviews were 7 and above, while 10 were 5 and above, with only 4 reviews below that. Majority still says it's a "good" game, and being a big fan of the series I'm sure that I'll at least like it. It's still an FPS on a portable, and while the Vita can do better than what we're used to, it'll probably never offer that AAA console experience(though it gets pretty darn close with other games IMO). 6 hour campaign with multiplayer is the golden standard for games like this, even for full-priced $60 console games. You'll get no complaints from me over that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but is a game that's sitting at a 60% rating worth $40?

[quote name='jza1218']Yeah, but is a game that's sitting at a 60% rating worth $40?[/QUOTE]

As always, that would depend on who you are and personal opinion. For me, finally getting a new game for my Vita for $38(gold box quick pick) with no tax & a decent amount of pre-order bonuses is an okay price to pay. Especially for an entry to a favorite series of mine.

It's a worthy game. I'm not sure where all the hateful reviews are coming from. Oh wait it's from Sony.:roll:
It's enjoyable and challenging. Perhaps all the negative nellys don't like the lack of aim-bot?
The worse thing to me is the awful pixelation in the cutscenes. They must take up the majority of the HDD space. The game plays great IMHO though.

Yea I agree it is a good game I was hesitant after I heard about the bad reviews so I downloaded the demo before opening my copy I enjoyed it alot and it made me want to play thru the whole story. I downloaded gravity rush too Idk if it's just me and that's not my style of game but resistance is way better than it to me

I played through to where you get the shotgun last night (not very far), and it played pretty good. I was kind of annoyed by all of the touch controls. I have small hands and changing grip just to throw grenades or tag people with the alt fire was kind of annoying. The gameplay was smooth but the graphics and the quality of the textures sucked. Typically, I'd forgive a handheld game for that kind of stuff- but after seeing what the system could do with Uncharted it just seems lazy or like a PSP port. The absolute worst thing about it was the really poorly compressed videos that show up everytime you find a new weapon. It's supposed to show you how to use the guns, but they are so fuzzy you can't really tell what's going on.

That must have been the longest demo I have ever played. By the time I got to the overpass, I shuddered and thought "I must have accidentally bought it"...but then I remember multiplayer being grayed out.

I don't like the Bullseye or whatever it's called, seems cheap to me. I also didn't like how Chimera literally popped when killed, it reminded me of Area 51 at the arcade back in the day. There's some problems, but I still want to see it through...just not at $40. Have to be patient for once.

[quote name='lewchief']Honestly it feels just like a console game. I only played the unit 13 demo but I thought that was kind of clunky.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what was in the demo for Unit 13. I think the levels are pretty good. I think it's underrated. I've got to free up some space for the Resistance Demo.

[quote name='DCpinoy']How the mechanics/aiming feel compared to Unit 13? Sorry I would download the demo but I don't have space on my card.[/QUOTE]
IIRC, Unit 13 has some aimbot in it. Resistance has none at all. It's up to you to aim and fire, so no quick-scoping etc. I like that aspect. If you've liked the previous Resistance games, this one won't disappoint.
Honestly, some of these reviewers praise iOS FPS games and I guarantee this plays better than any of those. I've read several reviews asking "what's new here/same old thing". They seem to be ignorant of the fact that they are playing a fully capable FPS on a PORTABLE SYSTEM WITH 2 THUMB STICKS. It's never been done before reviewers. That's what's new! Get a clue.

[quote name='Vader582']IIRC, Unit 13 has some aimbot in it. Resistance has none at all. It's up to you to aim and fire, so no quick-scoping etc. I like that aspect. If you've liked the previous Resistance games, this one won't disappoint.
Honestly, some of these reviewers praise iOS FPS games and I guarantee this plays better than any of those. I've read several reviews asking "what's new here/same old thing". They seem to be ignorant of the fact that they are playing a fully capable FPS on a PORTABLE SYSTEM WITH 2 THUMB STICKS. It's never been done before reviewers. That's what's new! Get a clue.[/QUOTE]
yes the game is pretty fun but i have not tried the mp yet but the game is sweet

I've played through the first two missions and honestly I'm having a great time with it. Graphics are not that bad (even though I agree they could be better). I never listen to reviews anyway and from what I've played it feels like an 8/10 game. Then again I thought Duke Nukem was awesome and epic at times. Bought the collector's edition of that. I don't regret having paid full price for either of these games which got some pretty bad reviews.

[quote name='Sonne']I also didn't like how Chimera literally popped when killed, it reminded me of Area 51 at the arcade back in the day.[/QUOTE]

I haven't actually booted up my copy yet, but what you're describing there just sounds like Resistance. Glad to see there are more people in here that like it, I'm excited to start it later on tonight!

bread's done
Back