Fate / Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works [Blu-ray] Pre-order $16.99 @Amazon

Kotomine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Unlimited-Blade-Works-Blu-ray/dp/B007K7IC8I/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_11

Amazon Description Having spent the last ten years of his life studying under a mysterious sorcerer, Shiro Emiya has become a Magi, a sorcerer who has summoned a "Servant," a mystical female warrior of incredible power named Saber, to stand together in the ultimate test of sorcery and magic: the Holy Grail War. But Shiro's own feelings for Saber may conflict with their goal. For to win the contest means to take the risk of losing everything, even as he also begins to empathize with members of the rival battleteams. For while seven teams will enter the battle, only one will leave, and the winners will receive the prize of the Grail itself and their greatest wish granted. Will that wish be worth the price Shiro must ultimately pay? The battle is on in FATE/STAY NIGHT - UNLIMITED BLADEWORKS!

Product Details
Format: Animated, Subtitled, Widescreen
Language: Japanese, English
Subtitles: English
Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1
Number of discs: 1
Rated: Unrated
Studio: Section 23
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Run Time: 105 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably as cheap as you're going to find this, so if you want it, you better preorder it now at this price.

A lot of time the price drops too before release. I wasted no time pre-ordering Badass Rumble. Amazon actually runs a lot of deals or at least last year they did on anime Blu-Rays. FLCL, Evangelion and others were on sale routinely last year especially around black Friday.

Is this a movie that is a condensed version of the tv series or is this a standalone OVA that takes place after the series? I've read a lot of the manga but would like to find a viewable rendition if possible.

[quote name='shadow17x']Is this a movie that is a condensed version of the tv series or is this a standalone OVA that takes place after the series? I've read a lot of the manga but would like to find a viewable rendition if possible.[/QUOTE]

It's a movie of the Unlimited Blade Works arc of the game. It moves at a pretty fast pace, so knowing at least the Fate arc helps a bit. The TV show sort of tried to cram all three arcs into one series.

[quote name='Psychonik']A lot of time the price drops too before release. I wasted no time pre-ordering Badass Rumble. Amazon actually runs a lot of deals or at least last year they did on anime Blu-Rays. FLCL, Evangelion and others were on sale routinely last year especially around black Friday.[/QUOTE]

If you preorder it now and the price drops again later (highly unlikely when it's already 50% off), then you'll get the lower price because of Amazon's preorder price guarantee.

[quote name='shadow17x']Is this a movie that is a condensed version of the tv series or is this a standalone OVA that takes place after the series? I've read a lot of the manga but would like to find a viewable rendition if possible.[/QUOTE]

Neither. It's the adaption of the Unlimited Blade Works storyline of the Fate/stay night visual novel. The TV series, Fate/stay night, is mostly adapted from the Fate storyline, so it's totally different. As for the manga, it is mainly a mixture of Fate and Unlimited Blade Works.

A question for any Fate expert: I watched the Fate/stay night tv anime series and really enjoyed it. Is the visual novel worth investing time in or should I just watch this Unlimited Blade Works movie next?

[quote name='lilman']A question for any Fate expert: I watched the Fate/stay night tv anime series and really enjoyed it. Is the visual novel worth investing time in or should I just watch this Unlimited Blade Works movie next?[/QUOTE]

The movie covers most — but not all — of the high points of Unlimited Blade Works. It's not really a good film; however, as fanservice, it works very well. If someone knows nothing about Fate/stay night, I would not recommend the movie, since it skips all of the set up. Since you've seen the TV series, you shouldn't be too lost, but I'm not sure how you'll react to it, since I watched it after playing the visual novel.

Since you said you really enjoyed the TV series, I would recommend playing the visual novel, if you are willing to put the ~80 hours into it that it takes to finish. It's three separate stories set to the Holy Grail War. The TV series mainly covered Fate, the first storyline; this movie covers the second storyline, Unlimited Blade Works; and the third storyline is Heaven's Feel, which has not been adapted yet — although, Fate/Zero spoils some key parts of Heaven's Feel. If you're curious, Fate centers around Saber, Unlimited Blade Works centers around Rin, and Heaven's Feel centers around Sakura.

If you do decide to play the visual novel, you must, must install the Realta Nua additions. It adds voices, new scenes, and new music. The voices and music are great, but the best part about Realta Nua is a new fight scene, and it is mind-blowingly good — the best fight in the whole series.

[quote name='TheLongshot']So, how does one get the visual novel in the states?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it's only available from Japan. So your options are buying it from JList for $115 or from Amazon Japan for $80 — however, with Amazon Japan, since they don't ship software internationally, you would have to use a forwarding service like dv8CAG or Tenso. You could also buy it from Palet Web, but they don't have it right now.

Now, just recently, a Realta Nua version of Fate/stay night was made for the PC — previously it was only available on the PS2. It is available as a download on Amazon Japan, however, they separated it into the three storylines, instead of having one single game. This means that there is a Fate version, an Unlimited Blade Works version, and a Heaven's Feel version. Each storyline costs $34. The problem with these is that the English patches for the original game and Realta Nua were made for the regular, disc-based version of the game. I would think it would be possible to get the original patches to work, but you're going to need to be really computer savvy and determined to figure that out.

Yeah, I was afraid you were going to say that. I guess I'll just have to get by with what parts of the story have been translated into other media.

contemplating whether I should cancel and wait for it in gold box. I know, they have a preorder price guarantee just telling people often times there will be a small price drop right around release day to price match BB who usually does a sale the week of release. The Immortals 3D was a good example of this.

[quote name='Psychonik']contemplating whether I should cancel and wait for it in gold box. I know, they have a preorder price guarantee just telling people often times there will be a small price drop right around release day to price match BB who usually does a sale the week of release. The Immortals 3D was a good example of this.[/QUOTE]

The Immortals 3D isn't published by Sentai Filmworks though, and anime is usually never on sale at brick and mortar stores. Gold box would be the only way to get this cheaper, but you'd be risking losing the 50% off if it ever went back up in price. All I was saying is that no one is going to lose anything by preordering this now, especially when it's cheaper than a Right Stuf sale + Got Anime Membership discount.

Does anyone know up to which volume they made the Fate/Stay Night manga in NA? I have all up to 11 and on amazon they have the listing for 12 but I don't think it was ever in stock (well I vaguely remember that there was a 3rd party listing a while back for $50 or something). Also does anyone know where I can find volume 12?

[quote name='Kotomine']Does anyone know up to which volume they made the Fate/Stay Night manga in NA? I have all up to 11 and on amazon they have the listing for 12 but I don't think it was ever in stock (well I vaguely remember that there was a 3rd party listing a while back for $50 or something). Also does anyone know where I can find volume 12?[/QUOTE]

Volume 11 is as far as the manga has been released here. As for the 12th, it was never released. Fate/stay night was being published by Tokyopop, and Tokyopop closed its North American division last year in May. The 12th volume of Fate/stay night was scheduled to be released in August of last year, but obviously since Tokyopop shutdown, that couldn't happen.

[quote name='Razzuel']Volume 11 is as far as the manga has been released here. As for the 12th, it was never released. Fate/stay night was being published by Tokyopop, and Tokyopop closed its North American division last year in May. The 12th volume of Fate/stay night was scheduled to be released in August of last year, but obviously since Tokyopop shutdown, that couldn't happen.[/QUOTE]

Well that explains why I couldn't find it. Thanks for the info.

Seeing the movie licensed only makes me wish that Aniplex USA would license Fate/Zero to either Funi or Sentai. I can only wonder what they are going to do with the first half for the eventual standard edition release. That limited edition box was way too rich for my tastes.

That aside, I have this reserved. I always found F/SN anime as mediocre due to Shirou being the world's worst (and most gullible) protagonist. The only thing that kept me coming back were the amazing battle scenes, so I'm hoping this being a movie that it dumps all of the fluff, and just keeps the action & key scenes.

[quote name='SanjiX']That aside, I have this reserved. I always found F/SN anime as mediocre due to Shirou being the world's worst (and most gullible) protagonist. The only thing that kept me coming back were the amazing battle scenes, so I'm hoping this being a movie that it dumps all of the fluff, and just keeps the action & key scenes.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's mainly fanservice for those who already know the story, so if all you care about are the action and key scenes, then you should be satisfied.

I enjoyed Fate /Stay Night a lot to buy the DVDs, but $20 seems too expensive for a movie that kinda picks up after that.

Shiro didn't ruin the anime for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hibiwa']I enjoyed Fate /Stay Night a lot to buy the DVDs, but $20 seems too expensive for a movie that kinda picks up after that.

Shiro didn't ruin the anime for me.
At least he eventually becomes the much more jaded Archer.
[/QUOTE]

Whoa, you need to get rid of that! That's a pretty nasty spoiler. If people read that, then it's gonna spoil a huge part of Unlimited Blade Works.

Sorry. I thought that pretty much anyone who may be interested in Unlimited Blade Works has already seen the tv series that's been out for a very long time.

Wasn't trying to ruin things.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Sorry. I thought that pretty much anyone who may be interested in Unlimited Blade Works has already seen the tv series that's been out for a very long time.

Wasn't trying to ruin things.[/QUOTE]

I hope I didn't come across as mean, haha. I just didn't want it spoiled for anyone else, since I've had some pretty important things spoiled for me, including what you posted. The way it was spoiled for me was a Right Stuf podcast that had an interview with some of the voice actors from the show; it was pretty frustrating, since they talked about it nonchalantly like it was common knowledge.

As for the revelation though, it doesn't even occur in the TV series. The only way someone would know that is from the visual novel or the manga.

[quote name='Razzuel']As for the revelation though, it doesn't even occur in the TV series. The only way someone would know that is from the visual novel or the manga.[/QUOTE]

I think there was a little bit of subtext in the anime, tho I don't think the average viewer would pick up on it. Personally, I was spoiled when I was trying to find out what Unlimited Blade Works was.

BTW, speaking of the manga, I appriciated that they provided an explanation of why Saber is who she is. Providing no explanation in the anime really hurt my brain.

[quote name='Hibiwa']I enjoyed Fate /Stay Night a lot to buy the DVDs, but $20 seems too expensive for a movie that kinda picks up after that.

Shiro didn't ruin the anime for me.[/QUOTE]

I think $20 is actually a great price for this. The animation is excellent, for example this battle between Saber and Berserker about 12 minutes into the movie (this is the point where UBW starts diverging from FSN).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE8zMhafbQg

I've got the import blu-ray but will still be getting this US release. The picture quality on blu-ray is stunning.

bread's done
Back