EBGames no-tax EDGE credit?

Mr.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was doing some trades to EB today and I wasn't planning on picking up anything so I wanted to put the credit on a card. The csr told me that I would lose the tax value if it's on a gift card because they don't have the tax-free EDGE credit anymore. Was that some BS or did EB really cancel their tax-free credit?

The government cancelled it, actually; this happened late last year. I don't know if a tax regulation changed or if they were using a loophole that the government decided to close. They are now only allowed to do tax-free credit if it's done toward another product in the same transaction. One of the local managers told me that EB is fighting against it, but it may not come to anything.

Apparently they had been doing it wrong for years and the government brought the hammer down on them. They swapped to this at least 8 months ago, but it was nice while it lasted.

Edit: Ah derfel beat me to it, didn't know about the tax-free credit for same transaction though. They didn't tell me squat about it.

Well, I didn't get a lot of details, but I was told that for something like a trade 2 for $50, as an example, as long as it was pre-ordered with the credit in the same transaction that the tax-free credit would apply. I don't know if this is YMMV from store to store or not.

Yeah, as long as it's the same transaction it will still be tax free. I'm just surprised it happened like that. Thanks for the quick replies.

bread's done
Back