QUESTION. Are sports titles the dumbest game to 'invest' in?

Depends on how much time you spend playing them... I paid 50 for madden 04 and put in 120+ hours ... I think I got my moneys worth...

...you hurt my head. Certain things like DL-able content helps longevity, but here are almost 0 sports games worth crap after a year (mutant league and some under-produced titles withstanding)

Agreed, if you're looking to sell back or trade, get your playtime in with a sports game within the first month and then get rid of it. Much longer than that, and you'll be lucky to get five bucks for it.

I agree games like madden 04 are fun.. but wouldn't it be better if you bought '04 2 years later for 10 bucks and played it for that long? or are updated rosters/minor updates super important?

Asking cause I have the itch to by mlb 2004 but have high heat 2003, I'm leaning towards not buying 'updated' sports games until they are cheap ass cheap.. will be new to me, yet cheap..

Same here. I put in more hours on sports games than I do most others.

I sometimes buy older versions that I don't have to see how far the genre has advanced. I picked up NCAA Football 2000 from EB for under $2 only to see the changes made from the '98 version I also own.

In terms of resale I highly doubt that sports games will go for much in the future.

If you are not a die hard sports fan then I think it is a waste to get the newest game every year as you probably care less about roster upgrades and such. I haven't paid more than $10 for my sports games and I get plenty of use out of them. Plus there is always the chance that the next years game won't be as good, like NHL 2003 in many people's opinion is not as good as 2002. This shit is long winded, so anyway, the answer is: Calcutta.

I don't care about updated rosters so I always try to buy the year old sports games. Last year I wanted MLB Slugfest and found 2003 for $10 at Target versus $50 for 2004. Rather than spending $40 on ESPN Baseball 2004, I picked up World Series 2K3 for $3 (although, playing in the now torn down Veterans Stadium for the Phillies will be kind of weird)

Trade-ins are just a friggin waste though, you have to know that with buying any new sports game. I called EB yesterday and they told me they'd give me $5 credit for madden 04. I think I'll just keep the game and play it for another 5 or so months until the new one comes out, with xbox live might I add...

Only $5?! What a joke, someone could get 3 times as much selling it on Half.com (lowest price is $15 for a scratched copy so a good condition one would probably go for closer to $20)

Yeah I'm looking to sell mine which is in great condition for around 25, I'm thinking about posting it up here if I can't dump it off in the next week or so...

Is there any point in DennisDfat replying to a topic like this? We all know that all new videogames suck ass, don't we already?

that wasn;t the point idiot.

the point is that Sports sims suck and you people are too stupid to notice and shell out money year after year for the same unfun crap that sucks, but cannot grasp this for yoou have the comprehension of a 1 week old retarded chimp

[quote name='bmulligan']Is there any point in DennisDfat replying to a topic like this? We all know that all new videogames suck ass, don't we already?[/quote]

DenisD's post was at least on topic, while yours was not.

I bought MVP 2004 just for the Phillie's new park and their new lineup. I buy a new football every year, I spend alot of hours playing football, well worth the money.

[quote name='DenisDFat']that wasn;t the point idiot.

the point is that Sports sims suck and you people are too stupid to notice and shell out money year after year for the same unfun crap that sucks, but cannot grasp this for yoou have the comprehension of a 1 week old retarded chimp[/quote]

I shudder to say it, but he's partially right - it IS the same crap (unfun is up for debate) year after year.

I like sports games. One of my favorite video games is NBA2K3.

Generally, there is no huge advantage to buy something like Madden 2004 instead of 2003. Unless the new game has a new online mode, or something like that. Or unless you really want those update rosters.

Well it depends.

If you play games just to play them then its certainly not the dumbest. I this case it would be spending mass amounts of cash on games that are deemed "rare".

On the other hand if your a collector who has a IGN collection list of over 100 games and you haven't beat even half of them yet, because you don't like to play Video Games, but rather collect them like pokemon cards, then yes it would be dumb to buy sports title year after year.

I myself only buy the latest sports titles if they're cheap, like ESPN Football.

DenisDFat: The whole I hate everything bit is growing old. Yes I know it's the only viable way for you to recieve attention (cause daddies in jail, and mommies to busy giving me attention 8)), but it gets less and less funny each time you do it, find some other gimmick or just die already :)

I have never invested in the sports titles that come out with a new version every year, but games like Downhill Domination or the tennis and golf games are great because they're fun and you don't have to worry about them being updated every year.

[quote name='DenisDFat']that wasn;t the point idiot.

the point is that Sports sims suck and you people are too stupid to notice and shell out money year after year for the same unfun crap that sucks, but cannot grasp this for yoou have the comprehension of a 1 week old retarded chimp[/quote]

I may be a retarded chimp, but at least I know that "unfun" is not a word.

I actually happen to like sports games, but I usually buy a different game every year. For example, All-Star Baseball one year and MVP the next. As an actual investment, sports games lose quite a bit of value. If someone enjoys the game though, who cares about getting more money when you sell it back. Isn't the whole point to get a game you enjoy?

[quote name='DenisDFat']But i know that sports sims aren't real video games[/quote]

How is it not a real video game. Last time I checked there was video and a game. Hence the term video game.

When the Penguins were winning cups and had great teams and there were no such things as roster updates I bought every Genesis and then PSone NHL hockey. However I discover that even though I haven't bought a hockey game in 5 years I can still whoop everyone I play at hockey games. Football is about the same way. Sports games, despite updates, new plays/features YADDA YADDA YADDA are really no different now than they were 10+ years ago. The only thing that's changed are the button layouts and rosters.

Quite frankly sports games bore the living snot out of me but EA, satan himself, has people convinced that Madden day is an event. Leave it to the braindead of the world to ensure Larry Probst continues to bend them over and grease them up yearly without the courtesy of a reach around and pay him $50 for the priviledge. You're an idiot if you buy sports games each and every year for ANY sport.

Hey, play all the damn sports games you want. Just don't come in and act like I'm trying to rip you off when you want to trade in 04 for 05 and it's only worth 8 bucks because we've already got 46 copies of it on the same day. Seriously. It's been said before, but there should be a law requiring you to publicly destroy your old copy of Madden/NCAA before you get the new one unless you're planning on keeping it.

I would have to say yes and no.

Yes beacuse the game does get better every year! So its neat to invest in them.

No because If your not a die hard fan of the sport just go with the last years model to save you some money. For example i don't watch baseball or basketball but I tend to still wanna play the games. I don't care who is on what team cause i don't know in the real world. But the madden is different. I keep up with football and a lot of trades happen all year till the next game comes out. I can't stand to have the teams with wrong players. So I fork out the 50 for a game with new rosters. But yes the games do have terrible resale values. Your not going to get any thing out of them except right at the end of the year and on ebay. After that maybe 5.00 bucks. So technically no they are not good to INVEST in. Its a loss. Its like investing in a souped up pinto. May look good but still a sucky car.!

Plus, if your team was really good one year, you may want to keep it for sentimental value (unless you're a Yankee fan, then they're good every year! Ugh!), like my Buckeyes in NCAA Football 2004! I'll probably keep that one and still pick up NCAA 2005.

I usually sell during the last month of the season to still get pretty good $$ on eBay.

[quote name='beobuzz2003']Sports games. (x--year---xsport) seems to have no resale value.. is there any point in buying these games?[/quote]

As others have said, it depends on how much you want to play them. Certainly no sports title in the U.S. (with the exception of non-mainstream sports, which have a niche audience to keep them in demand and usually don't have games come out every year) will retain any kind of value. Buying them if you don't intend to play them much before they hit $5 or less is stupid.

some people buy the games for the updated rosters even though you can manually update it if you have the time and the time to waste. others buy them for improvements. some buy it so they can play online for that year because you usually can't play last year's version online. i bought madden '04 only to realize that '03 blew it out of the water as far as AI and gameplay are concerned. the only reason i kept '04 is because it is the first time EA has let you update the classic teams roster's on a console.

I think only the die hard football fans buy the games every year. Usually I won't buy a spots game unless I know it has a bunch of features other than just franchise and exhibition mode (like ESPN which has the crib mode and all). I hate sports games with just the typical sports modes. I usually buy sports games when I can get them really cheap cause I could care less about rosters and all. I almost bought NFL Fever 2002 today at EB for 3.99 but I decided not to (cause it has poop features).

I think buying football games every year is pretty stupid. 50 bucks for the same game every year but with minor changes. It may have some new features, but it's still the same old football. I wait several years to where the features build up, then buy it when it's cheap.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I think only the die hard football fans buy the games every year. [/quote]

There must be a lot of them then because Madden is the best-selling game year after year. :roll:

lots and lots of stupid people.

same brand, different flavour of the people who buy album after album of boy bands and whore pop

[quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='FaintDeftone']I think only the die hard football fans buy the games every year. [/quote]

There must be a lot of them then because Madden is the best-selling game year after year. :roll:[/quote]

ill have to agree with dennis here, there are alot of stupid people

i enjoy sprots games but cant remember the last time i payed more than 8 or 9 dollars for one, seriously just wait a year, its all the same anyways

It's not all the same....there are features added every year, granted I don't biuy every year depending on whether or not I may like the new features. Like I bought Madden 2004 cuz I knew I'd enjoy the owner mode.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='FaintDeftone']I think only the die hard football fans buy the games every year. [/quote]

There must be a lot of them then because Madden is the best-selling game year after year. :roll:[/quote]

i enjoy sprots games but cant remember the last time i payed more than 8 or 9 dollars for one, seriously just wait a year, its all the same anyways[/quote]

Well, maybe we should put it in different terms then. Punq I see in your games list that you have anumber of different Mega Man Games. Most of these are essentially the same game when you really get down to it. The game just have some different bosses, i.e. updated rosters. So are you basically saying that buying any sequel that is very similar to its predecessor is stupid?

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='FaintDeftone']I think only the die hard football fans buy the games every year. [/quote]

i enjoy sprots games but cant remember the last time i payed more than 8 or 9 dollars for one, seriously just wait a year, its all the same anyways[/quote]

Well, maybe we should put it in different terms then. Punq I see in your games list that you have anumber of different Mega Man Games. Most of these are essentially the same game when you really get down to it. The game just have some different bosses, i.e. updated rosters. So are you basically saying that buying any sequel that is very similar to its predecessor is stupid?[/quote]

dude i paid like 5 bucks each for my megaman games XoD

anyways, im not saying youre stupid for buying a game, if you enjoy it and get your $50 out of it, thats great, but i play sports games a good amout too and get the same amount of gameplay just 1 year later, for 1/10 the price

Don't worry punq. I wasn't taking anything you said personal. I was just making a point. A lot of games are very similar these days, so to say that someone who buys a sports game every year is dumb is a little hypocritical. Think about it. Is the first Ratchet and Clank really that different from the second? That is the basic point I am getting at.

[quote name='greendj27']Don't worry punq. I wasn't taking anything you said personal. I was just making a point. A lot of games are very similar these days, so to say that someone who buys a sports game every year is dumb is a little hypocritical. Think about it. Is the first Ratchet and Clank really that different from the second? That is the basic point I am getting at.[/quote]

while i do see your point, i disagree

lets use castlevania for gba as an example, since all 3 are quite similar

the differences between madden 2003 and 2004 may be vast. however your still playing foorball, sure maybe theres a couple new moves, a few improvments to franchise, new rosters, and some mini games but its still the same game of football.

now the same could be said about castlevania, with one exception. each of the 3 games varies slightly in the magic/items department but basically plays the same, however in each game there is a totally new castle to play through.

while i enjoy both castlevania games and football games, football games only make slight improvments per year, which in my eyes does not justify a full price purchase.

bread's done
Back