* - - - - 3 votes

Xenoblade Chronicles - Operation Rainfall Collectors Edition Box $10

#331 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   2898 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

Someone should go to that Steven Boaz persons house and get shit settled.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#332 iamsmart   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1012 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

This thread is giving me a new appreciation for the words "circle jerk"

I notice you didn't quote my subsequent posts calling them liars and saying I wasn't expecting the shipment to ever arrive.

Well, that doesn't do much good... that's like saying you weren't really interested in a girl only AFTER she rejects your advances.

Then why wasn't it deleted right away? Oh right, so everyone could form an equally retarded circle jerk about how other people choose to spend their money. If it wasn't about a deal then, what is it about now?

Personally, I would have loved to have this locked up before anyone could've put in their donations back in April.... now that it's still here it's just fun to watch the magic unfold. You said it yourself: "there are some lulz to be had out of their lying/weaseling." I think by this point though, everyone on CAG who donated has probably seen this and read the news so it is probably a good time to retire the thread.

#333 DQT   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1136 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

The true irony of all this is that all this ridiculousness happened after Xseed issued a press release saying that the Last Story has been described as their most successful title to date. THe odds for Pandora's Tower seem better at this point.Of course if Pandora's Tower does come out they'll claim credit for it..

#334 Rozz   OG CAG CAGiversary!   9474 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago   Has been playing NBA Elite 11
PS3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

Registrant:
Smash Digital Design California

42556 Devant Circle
Temecula, CA 92592
United States

Administrative Contact:
Boaz, Steven [email protected]
Smash Digital Design California
42556 Devant Circle
Temecula, CA 92592
United States
+1.7606043497

Address is a house at the end of a cul-de-sac.

Wow, someone on here made it sound like he lived in the ghetto and that was the reason why his "packages were stolen". When you check Google maps you can clearly see that he lives in a very nice suburban community.

Edit: Wait, did they say that he lived in an apartment? So what is the story? Is this his parent's home or something?

This begs another question... why would he not request signature confirmation from UPS for such a large order if this really happened?

CAG support:

Spoiler

#335 anarch   And all that could have been... CAGiversary!   2070 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

This thread is such a piece of shit. Every single person still discussing this are A)trolls and B)didn't donate. This needs to be locked.

This thread needs to be enshrined so that future generations don't fall for such tomfoolery scams. The concept was dumb from the beginning and it turned into a scam, which many of those so-called armchair douchebags and trolls were correct about; as CheapLikeAFox said, they were right. If you feel ashamed seeing a thread reminding you about your contribution to this scam, well, live and learn. It's important that this thread gets attention because there are probably donators out there who still don't know about this riveting update and would like to know that the boxes are never coming, for one reason or another.

Also, what kind of person takes credit for shit they didn't do, then takes donations for things they don't intend to deliver. What kind of person does such a thing, Emilie Autumn?
Posted Image

#336 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3229 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

Wow, someone on here made it sound like he lived in the ghetto and that was the reason why his "packages were stolen". When you check Google maps you can clearly see that he lives in a very nice suburban community.

Edit: Wait, did they say that he lived in an apartment? So what is the story? Is this his parent's home or something?

This begs another question... why would he not request signature confirmation from UPS for such a large order if this really happened?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. They DID say he lived in an apartment! Oh the lies...they are plentiful. I still wonder who the hell Smash Digital is and why it's located at some guy's cul de sac house.

#337 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   4885 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA. They DID say he lived in an apartment! Oh the lies...they are plentiful. I still wonder who the hell Smash Digital is and why it's located at some guy's cul de sac house.

Since it's apparently a multi-person operation, the owner of the site doesn't necessarily have to be the person that was robbed. Not that the story is legit, regardless of this.
Posted Image

#338 NEP   Oogaboogabooga CAGiversary!   397 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

They referred to the guy who was robbed by name, which matches the address.

This thread is so good.

#339 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3399 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Your Mom!!
iOS

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

lol kind of hard not to notice when it keeps getting troll bumped up to the top of the forum but point taken.

Get out, Rainfall dev.

#340 elessar123   "AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER." CAGiversary!   9811 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

The SoCal CAGs can go egg his house!

elessar123.png

#341 UncleBob  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

why not ask for an invoice or receipt to show the boxes were printed? Is that too easy?

The invoice was probably in the box that got stolen. :D

If people were smart they'd dispute the charge and say Operation rainfall is a scam. Unless you can't do that with kickstarter.

It wasn't a Kickstarter, but you likely couldn't dispute the charge at this point - too far out. Plus, you'd risk bringing down the wrath of PayPal. :D

This thread is such a piece of shit. Every single person still discussing this are A)trolls and B)didn't donate. This needs to be locked.

A) I donated.
B) Don't read it.

Now, I'm the one who posted the link to the local paper's website with the listing of crime reports and break-ins. Never commented on the condition/type of neighborhood.

The current version of the story places him as living in an apartment.

However, the address listed could easily have been his business address, as Mr. Boaz does have a web development company (http://www.facebook.com/boazwebdesign).

Though I'd have to question the sanity of shipping the stuff to an apartment if he has a separate business front/address.

On this one, I will say that UPS doesn't always do as told. Also, there's no telling if the printer listened to his request for signature confirmation.

The SoCal CAGs can go egg his house!

No - this we don't need. We're bigger than this.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#342 uthoria   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   135 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

UPS always issues a tracking number. The fact that they didnt release it when the criticism started rolling in should tell you something.

#343 lilseung   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

UPS always issues a tracking number. The fact that they didnt release it when the criticism started rolling in should tell you something.

The tracking information will confirm which address they sent to. It will also confirm the date it was delivered. I'd love to see it.
Come check out my Trade thread!

#344 Cheaplikeafox OS X   Better Than You CAGiversary!   13428 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Told you it was in the wrong section.

Also, everyone trying to rationalize through the lies - STOP.

They are liars and scammers. They are keeping people's money and trying to lie their way out of it.

#345 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3229 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Lol at people trying to lie to the internet and the internet telling them Fuck y'all
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#346 lilseung   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

@UncleBob
Hey I just saw your post on the Oprain website. Props to for having that original article. I spent some time trying to somehow get some record of the old article without much luck.
Come check out my Trade thread!

#347 thehoweller   IllegalCouponPrinter CAGiversary!   1260 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

thehoweller

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

UPDATE:

Posted by Charlotte Buckingham in response to some criticism.

"The UPS left the box of cases sitting on Steven's doorstep. When he came home, the place had been trashed and all his electronics were gone. What we think happened is that people saw the box on his doorstep, thought it looked expensive and that he might be loaded, and decided to ransack the place.
It's also possible that he had been being watched by potential burglars beforehand, as he's often had games coming in the mail for staff to review.
He'll be contacting the printing company today (Monday) to find out what's going to happen with our order. He'll also be putting up his police report for all of you to see."

Posted Image
For the Earthbound fans...Visit this SMAAASH ing link!
Posted Image

#348 Red_Dragon   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Red_Dragon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I am confused.

Why is there a guy in this thread name UncleBob not defending them, but there is a guy in the comments section of the website named UncleBob who IS defending them. Are you the same person or is this a coincidence?

EDIT: My bad, I see you reposted the original post that was deleted.

#349 UncleBob  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm not really defending them.

I'm keeping all options open.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#350 cloudmd23   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   131 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Has anyone reported this to Destructoid or Kotaku or anybody to do a story on? It just seems like they're trying really hard to get this to blow over with as little controversy as possible. Which, I would too in their shoes, but I would think more people would be alarmed and upset that thousands of dollars of donated money just up and vanished. I think the pressure needs to stay on until the truth comes out. The best thing they could do in this situation from a PR standpoint would be to remain as transparent as possible and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

#351 motoki   A New Game Everyday CAGiversary!   10733 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago   Has been playing Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder
PC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Has anyone reported this to Destructoid or Kotaku or anybody to do a story on? It just seems like they're trying really hard to get this to blow over with as little controversy as possible. Which, I would too in their shoes, but I would think more people would be alarmed and upset that thousands of dollars of donated money just up and vanished. I think the pressure needs to stay on until the truth comes out. The best thing they could do in this situation from a PR standpoint would be to remain as transparent as possible and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Well just like people who have faked their deaths on the internet, they set it up with a tragedy story so that if you question them you look like an insensitive douchebag and then all the Pollyannas who take everything any idiot on the internet says at face value flame you and rip you a new one for talking about a poor victim.

That said, yes this needs more press and should be looked into further. Even though it was a "donation" it was done under false pretenses and then they lied about what they did with the money so people shouldn't just let them slide on this.

#352 Rozz   OG CAG CAGiversary!   9474 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago   Has been playing NBA Elite 11
PS3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Nothing about this on Destructoid yet, but funnily enough they have an older article about how Operation Rainfall didn't do shit to begin with:

"Operation Rainfall didn't bring The Last Story to America"

Also, I'm still not going to be able to sleep tonight until I find out if the "package" was "stolen" from the nice suburban house that the dude has the website registered to or if it was some shady apartment complex in the 'hood. And I don't see why they couldn't post a UPS tracking number or legitimate police report immediately.

It will be interesting to see if any of the gaming press actually takes a look at this.

CAG support:

Spoiler

#353 cloudmd23   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   131 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Well, I found a really well done blog post by someone that actually has the original posts screenshotted from before they took it down:

http://terryanders.b...fill-gifts.html

I don't wish any ill will on these folks if their story is true, but everything just sounds waaay too convenient at this point.

#354 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5158 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

If burglars were attracted by UPS delivering envelopes of games on occasion, half the people on this forum would have been robbed blind by now.

Funny. All the game journalists that live in an ACTUAL ghetto like Oakland don't ever seem to have this problem.

#355 ancientbarb   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

ancientbarb

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Holy crap, just provide us a god damn tracking information. It's not that fucking hard.

#356 Ryuukishi   Come with me if you want to not die CAGiversary!   9797 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
PC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Holy crap, just provide us a god damn tracking information. It's not that fucking hard.

Actually it's pretty difficult to provide tracking information that doesn't exist. :lol:

Hard for me to believe after months of delays, the boxes were printed and delivered with no comment or fanfare on the site.

#357 jello44   Hey hey CAGiversary!   1552 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Actually it's pretty difficult to provide tracking information that doesn't exist. :lol:

Hard for me to believe after months of delays, the boxes were printed and delivered with no comment or fanfare on the site.

Posted Image

#358 Red_Dragon   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Red_Dragon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

Lol, did anyone see this response from one of the guys from Operation Rainfall?:

Do us a favor and leave. I understand people are worried about money that they donated, but if you've got no patience and resort only to belittling us then just leave and don't come back. You have very little foresight into the situation.
If you donated, you can have your money back, just go through the process suggested.

By the way, just so you know, we never publicly took credit for Xenoblade Chronicles or The Last Story being localized.
I apologize to everyone else about the matter, and we are trying the best we can to fix the situation.

#359 motoki   A New Game Everyday CAGiversary!   10733 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago   Has been playing Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder
PC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

"go through the process suggested"

They might as well just say 'I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today'.

Also:

http://operationrain...o-the-americas/
(and yes I know he puts a dislaimer is that his views doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the entire team but they still posted it to their blog)

http://arstechnica.c...tles-in-the-us/

Nintendo, for its part, says that Operation Rainfall wasn't actually the sole reason behind the eventual decisions to bring Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story to North America. "Our fans are very passionate, and have demonstrated an interest in this game," a company representative told Ars Technica. "We certainly appreciate this passion, but it alone did not impact our decision to launch the game or the timeframe in which it would launch."

But Tyner (Ryan Tyner from Operation Rainfall) doesn't buy it. "The fact that they revealed [Xenoblade Chronicles] on Facebook is telling, considering that is where the campaign asked for the game," he said. "There are other little 'signs' such as [NOA President Reggie Fils-Aime] stating in the The Last Story reveal that many people had been 'clamoring' for the game. Privately, we had inside sources that confirmed that Nintendo was taking notice of us and that it was indeed because of our efforts that these games were being released..."

I'm sure there are lots more examples too if someone really wants to go digging. Just doing a google search to see all the interviews they did they certainly weren't shy about promoting themselves.

#360 iamsmart   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1012 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

I think after a good 6 months of this crap NO ONE should have any patience left for these guys. As for foresight, no one has that either, because they won't tell us anything.

As someone said above, a bit of transparency would have gone far for these guys, but instead they kept everyone in the dark on how much donation money they received (or even what the extra money was applied to once the goal was met - did they even send out those press kits?), didn't update anyone on the status of their boxes (isn't this one guy a graphic designer? How did he not even have any samples from the printing company to share?), and now they're taking their sweet time in providing people with evidence of what transpired. "You made your bed" etc. etc.

A constant running theme throughout OR's website is how they are volunteers who are doing this for no compensation: first of all, that scenario applies to about 90% of all websites out there, and I never hear them piss and moan about their voluntary services as much as these guys do. Secondly: they run a letter-writing campaign: I'm pretty sure all of the volunteer clubs at the local campus put more effort into their campaigns than these guys. Third: if you have the balls to take people's money, then you have to have the balls to deal with your funders when something happens. You don't patronize or try to manipulate them with your sob story, or tell them to leave because they are impatient.

By the way, just so you know, we never publicly took credit for Xenoblade Chronicles or The Last Story being localized.

"...but we still thought we should call it the Operation Rainfall Collection."

Edited by iamsmart, 04 December 2012 - 03:02 AM.