Cartridge Game Storage

Sealing them can be worse for moisture and aging. Best bet is controlling the humidity and keeping dust off the actual contacts.

A dehumidifier or your AC should do the trick.

I'm in Florida too. As long as the are in a c room out of the sun, you should be good. The few Atari carts that I have don't have any issues internal or cosmetic. He's carts too. On another note, I have some action figures that are deteriorating but its a known issue with these ones. Worse thing IMO is the yellowing to snes systems and that can be fixed

Yeah my SNES is pretty yellowed on its top half. I got it near launch and it never left my parents' house... I think it was a defect in the plastic.

The yellowing on the SNES is due to the type of plastic the top was made of. I think it has a fire retardant in it, I don't know why the bottom doesn't though. But the yellow is due to oxidation.

Up until a few years ago, I didn't know this, I thought it was yellow because my parents smoked in the house when i was smaller.

Both sides can become yellow. From what I've read, it was because the tops and bottoms did not necessary come from the same source. So during assembly the top could have come from a prone to yellow batch while the bottom did not, or vice versa.

Years ago when I was selling systems I got from pawn shops, I thought i was a combination of smoke or being in the sun.

However now that more years have passed, I have systems that I have kept cleaned and stored properly. Some have stayed perfect shape, some yellowed.

The fire retardant would make sense, maybe it was added later on. My early release snes never yellowed.

What i do for my cartridge games is keep them in a small closet with cedar shelving and some desicant bags. About once a year i clean the tabs with rubbing alchohol to keep them clean. Usually when i get a new to me cartridge the first thing i do is clean the contacts and sometimes the stuff that comes off is unreal.

[quote name='Theenternal']Both sides can become yellow. From what I've read, it was because the tops and bottoms did not necessary come from the same source. So during assembly the top could have come from a prone to yellow batch while the bottom did not, or vice versa.

Years ago when I was selling systems I got from pawn shops, I thought i was a combination of smoke or being in the sun.

However now that more years have passed, I have systems that I have kept cleaned and stored properly. Some have stayed perfect shape, some yellowed.

The fire retardant would make sense, maybe it was added later on. My early release snes never yellowed.[/QUOTE]

Here is a really cool article that I found on the subject:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

I was looking for some details on the yellowing of plastic as well and was curious if anyone had any experience with Retro bright. I just picked up a snes at a garage sale and it is yellowed on top and bottom. Only normal parts are the center and controller ports. From what I can tell it is a flame retardant that was added to the plastic. I really want to restore this unit so my kids can see what I played when I was younger without it looking like sh*t

bread's done
Back