New Super Mario Bros. 2 (August 2012)

[quote name='Cheapskate']Am I the only one whose reaction to this announcement was *yawn*?

I'd rather have seen a sequel to SM3DL.[/QUOTE]
Your not the only one. Based on the screenshots it looks exactly like the DS and Wii versions, but then again it is a sequel. I would probably get it at some point after playing kingdom hearts 3D, if nothing interesting is coming out for awhile.

Co-op?

If there's a Mario vs. Luigi mode like the first NSMB had, I'll buy it day one. If it's online, I'll break into NCL's HQ and steal two copies early.

I wasnt very excited when this was announced but I am sure it will be a fun game. Still holding out for a metroid annoucement this june

I will buy it since the Tanooki suit is back, but it looks exactly like the Wii and DS versions. I wish they took a more stylized approach to it and made it look different (kinda like how SMB3 and SMW was).

Based solely on these few screenshots, this looks overly simplistic and generic. Hoping it turns out good though, but not expecting much. SM3DL was a Mario game that actually showed signs of creativity, and detail to level design. I hope they keep that momentum going with this.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Where is Luigis Mansion?[/QUOTE]

Seriously, that and Paper Mario were announced like around launch, right? No news for a while now.

As much as I loved the original NSMB... I was hoping for something genuinely new (like SM3D Land). This game and Paper Mario just seem like older games with 3D stuck on them.:whistle2:/

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Seriously, that and Paper Mario were announced like around launch, right? No news for a while now.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to get annoyed waiting for both of those.

I'm more interested in that Kirby collection.

Hoping for a Wii disc collection that includes Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby's Dream Course since I missed out on those on the SNES days. Maybe include the Japan only SNES version of Kirby's Starstacker!

Would prefer a physical copy of those games, even though most are available on the Virtual Console.

[quote name='Vinny']As much as I loved the original NSMB... I was hoping for something genuinely new (like SM3D Land). This game and Paper Mario just seem like older games with 3D stuck on them.:whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

Paper Mario is definitely a new game.

For instance, we anticipate that “Super Mario 3D Land” and “Mario Kart 7” will bring in a substantial profit in the next fiscal year and the year after that. On the other hand, we will be able to do various things in the field of digital business. Up until now, once consumers who had bought a game got tired of it, they would never play it and it would never draw public attention again. Even if the game had the sales potential to other new consumers, they rarely actually bought it because the consumers who already had bought it would never talk about it again and the game would be considered an old one. Having said that, what if we could provide add-on content through the network? As I referred to before, for example, this is the idea of supplying new stages to Super Mario users who want to play the game more but have completed the game and lost interest in the existing stages. This will not only give us new profits but will lengthen the life of a product, in that it will never be out of fashion and can keep attracting public attention as long as many people play it.
I guess this is the Super Mario game Iwata was referring to about doing DLC on. Just imagine Nintendo doing DLC for pokemon games, they will be rich!

Well, the "mistake" of saying New Super Mario Bros. 2 not being an eShop title...I dunno, I think it'll be released on the eShop as well as retail. I just don't know when.

I like 2D mario more than 3D mario (meaning game type, of course, not 3D effect - 2D with 3D effect is certainly cool), so this sounds good to me. But I'm a lot more excited about Paper Mario 3DS. :)

[quote name='KingBroly']Knew it.[/QUOTE]
At least downloadable games on 3DS is viable since SD cards are pretty cheap unlike the Vita, and Nintendo games hold there value for a long time.

Hoping Nintendo adds Wireless N for a revised 3DS though.

There's already a full fledged RPG coming to the 3DS, and that is surprising enough.
For New Super Mario Bros. 2, that is surprising because Nintendo is actually considering releasing it through the download service. The 2D platformers were never had that big of a filesize to begin with, so this sequel won't take up much space on the SD card.

I'm now worried about the pricing. $12 for Shantae is my limit, but to plunk down at least $25? I'm not so sure. The retail copy better be $30 or at least come with swag.

Bumping this up since it's out now. I'm in world three at the moment and am enjoying it quite a bit so far. The one bad thing I've seen so far is that the soundtrack is maybe okay at best, but it's not nearly as good as it should be for a game that's an homage to the NES/SNES classics.

Got my game today. I have some complaints with the game. First off, the game looks like the other two NSMB games (I mean almost exactly). Plus the music is pretty much ripped off the other two NSMB games (and I dislike the music of the first two games).

I guess I was hoping for more, than just being so similar. I mean I know the game is a sequel to NSMB but this feel too much like they just copied and pasted the formula exactly like NSMB and made the graphics sharper. Plus the grab millions of coins feels weird because your never going to run out of lives, I am at world 2 with over 100 lives now :lol:.

I am having fun with it overall, but it's something I wished there was more to.

I just downloaded it and getting ready to head upstairs and fire it up. Fingers crossed for a great mario game, but my expectations are somewhat tempered by the mixed reviews.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Got my game today. I have some complaints with the game. First off, the game looks like the other two NSMB games (I mean almost exactly). Plus the music is pretty much ripped off the other two NSMB games (and I dislike the music of the first two games).

I guess I was hoping for more, than just being so similar. I mean I know the game is a sequel to NSMB but this feel too much like they just copied and pasted the formula exactly like NSMB and made the graphics sharper. Plus the grab millions of coins feels weird because your never going to run out of lives, I am at world 2 with over 100 lives now :lol:.

I am having fun with it overall, but it's something I wished there was more to.[/QUOTE]

That's weird. I thought they were getting rid of lives. They have been pointless in every mario game since galaxy.

I hated the music in NSMB Wii. It was the same "ba buh baa" choir in nearly every level.

i have to say im enjoying it a lot. granted im a sucker for mario, so more of the same is fine by me.

nintendo is among the best in level design and this game is no different.. im looking for secrets all over the place.. finding a lot, and feeling like im missing a ton more.

they said they would release more levels via DLC, right? or did i make that up in my head? because if the price is decent i will be all for that.

oh, and i love the fact that nintendo is now selling full games on the eshop.. one less cartridge to keep track of. sales would normally trump that advantage for me, but nintendo published games rarely go on sale anyway.

I've just tried the game on my 3DS XL and I think it looks better, not sure why. Game does look super small on the original 3DS screen but maybe that's why it was more impressive than when I played on the original. Still weird cause most games will look better on the old 3DS due to the screen's higher DPI. I can say the game looks way better than the first one and difficulty is higher if I compare just the first worlds from both games. So far I'm really enjoying it and will beat it playing 1-2 worlds a day.

got it today via gamefly and really dont care for the controlls (maybe my buttons are sticking or something) but the controlls just seem a little loose

if 7 stars came out i buy that day 1 no problems .... I still remember getting that game for 15 bucks 3 days after it came out.... Was about to buy it at TRU and had a funny feeling to call pawnshops for the hell of it... They said some drunk looking person came in and pawned it day 1... its been 3 days and they never came back for it and sold it to me for 15 bucks complete

Got it in my system like 5pm and played it till 5am that night ...... I miss the good old days like that

Well, Newegg is usually pretty good with their shipping. But, in this occasion, DHL has taken my game from New Jersey to Maryland, and back to New Jersey in the span of 4 days. I'm in NY, so that just seems a tad bit silly. Maybe by Friday...unless they go back in circles again.

[quote name='dragonjud']Well, Newegg is usually pretty good with their shipping. But, in this occasion, DHL has taken my game from New Jersey to Maryland, and back to New Jersey in the span of 4 days. I'm in NY, so that just seems a tad bit silly. Maybe by Friday...unless they go back in circles again.[/QUOTE]

Newegg dragging their feet on mine too....although I haven't checked the mail yet...brb lol

Got my copy today, and played through the first World. Some impressions.

- 3D effect is horrible. I have half a mind to turn it off. I know it's supposed to be depth of field, but come on. It's just blurring everything, ruining the detailed textures of the background.
- Maybe I'm just trying to get the hang of it, but for some reason Mario's movement feels off.
- Coin Rush seems okay, but I need to play it more to find out what's okay and what's not

Picked this up Tuesday evening for my 8 year old. He beat it this morning as I was driving him to school. He loved it. Said he is going to select a different profile and play it again.

Just beat it. 4:34 total. I did everything in World 1, but decided to just rush to the end from there so I could get the Save Anywhere feature (a dumb design choice IMO, especially after SM3DL saved after every level).

It's a good, but uninspired and rushed game. It's also a lot harder than I imagined it would be. It's definitely tougher than NSMBW as well, and that's not taking into account Star Coin placement. I'll continue to play until I unlock/beat every level/get every Star Coin, but I doubt I'll go for 1 Million Coins.

The star coin placement was more difficult on the wii game. Nearly every coin is in plain sight in the 3ds version. The wii version had a lot of false walls.

I found that if you don't try to collect the star coins or regular coins, the game is far too boring.

[quote name='popular penguin']The star coin placement was more difficult on the wii game. Nearly every coin is in plain sight in the 3ds version. The wii version had a lot of false walls.

I found that if you don't try to collect the star coins or regular coins, the game is far too boring.[/QUOTE]

Agree, a lot easier than Wii version, but the secret exits were well placed

I don't really think there's a point to getting the Star Coins in this one after a while. In the Wii version you could buy Help Videos, and you had just enough to do so. Here, not so much.

I've completed everything through World 4 right now, and have over 60,000 Coins. I wish that some of the Coin Bonuses that existed in Coin Rush (i.e. get all 3 Star Coins = +200 coins, Gold Mushrooms for +50 Coins, Top of the Flag Pole/beating Bosses for x2 Coins) since it'd make the trudge to 1 Million a lot easier.

I think it's a fun game. Not great, but definitely good. If getting 1 Million Coins had a point, I'd be more inclined to say it was better.

Beat the game this morning and unlocking the ability to save anywhere after that is one of the dumbest things I've ever unlocked like that in a game. It's not like they just had the same save system with nothing else so you could just deal with it, but this is just holding stuff back for no reason. I'm enjoying the game, but that's not a bonus that is rewarding at all.

I'm working on getting to the second of the optional worlds and opening up the alternate paths I've missed throughout the worlds.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Beat the game this morning and unlocking the ability to save anywhere after that is one of the dumbest things I've ever unlocked like that in a game. It's not like they just had the same save system with nothing else so you could just deal with it, but this is just holding stuff back for no reason. I'm enjoying the game, but that's not a bonus that is rewarding at all.

I'm working on getting to the second of the optional worlds and opening up the alternate paths I've missed throughout the worlds.[/QUOTE]

They did that in the last 2 NSMB games, and they were just as dumb then as they are now. You also unlocked
being able to play as Luigi by holding L/R and pressing Start on the File Menu
by beating the game as well.

I've completed
every Main World, and now I'm onto the Special Worlds

It's dumb that there are these weird standards in different Mario series. The Galaxy games made lives extremely easy to build up like the NSMB and 3D Land games, but they take most of them away if you quit. I guess NSMB restricts your ability to save until you beat it, which is a poor design choice because nobody likes that odd restriction that keeps you from playing exactly as much as you wish to play for a session.

Just got it yesterday and have been playing it a bit. I knew it was going to seem disappointing after SM3DL, but I didn't think it'd seem *this* disappointing.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's dumb that there are these weird standards in different Mario series. The Galaxy games made lives extremely easy to build up like the NSMB and 3D Land games, but they take most of them away if you quit. I guess NSMB restricts your ability to save until you beat it, which is a poor design choice because nobody likes that odd restriction that keeps you from playing exactly as much as you wish to play for a session.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be a weird throwback to SMW.

But you can quick save, which for the most part works fine, or just close the machine and suspend the game.

I'm not losing sleep over it, but if it is annoying you as you play, open a star coin gate and it will force a save.

It's a decent enough game, but it's a weird mish-mash of previous Mario titles... Almost as if they couldn't decide quite which direction to go with it. There's definitely some homage to SMB1/3 & SMW. It's cool to see some of the enemies/mechanics in a game again, but it was maybe just one thing per level. That, coupled with the same annoying music that I absolutely loathe(which is a shame b/c ouside of the NSMB moniker, Mario games are known for having great music) & the basic recycling of the NSMB that we all already know quite well, make this game totally average by me. STill good, but the worst Mario game I've played in quite a while. It may be slightly better than those games that have also been released under the NSMB name, but those games had a nice nostalgia factor blended in which made their shortcomings easier to overlook. This is just the same old thing with lots of coins thrown in.

In closing, SM3DL was worlds better and it's more than a little sad to see Nintendo take a step backwards in terms of Mario. I hope after NSMBU launches, Ninty takes a nice long hiatus from this part of the Mario fanchise, and come back with something else a bit more inventive.

Consider that NSMB2 is being made by a bunch of new people, and that NuSMB is being made by the original NSMB team (the ones that did the Wii U version). Both of these teams are separate from the 3D Mario team, which are working on an unknown project at the moment. I'm not saying it's an excuse, but the game does reek of being a rushed project, whereas NuSMB has been in development for a while.

I completed the Game in 12:58. I haven't gotten a Million Gold Coins, but I doubt I'll go for it since I'm just over 77,000 Coins right now.

[quote name='KingBroly']Consider that NSMB2 is being made by a bunch of new people, and that NuSMB is being made by the original NSMB team (the ones that did the Wii U version). Both of these teams are separate from the 3D Mario team, which are working on an unknown project at the moment. I'm not saying it's an excuse, but the game does reek of being a rushed project, whereas NuSMB has been in development for a while.

I completed the Game in 12:58. I haven't gotten a Million Gold Coins, but I doubt I'll go for it since I'm just over 77,000 Coins right now.[/QUOTE]

I remember reading that, but I still expect somewhat of a solid direction from Nintendo. I still think they need to leave NSMB alone for a while(3-4 years) or do something totally different with it, like more along the lines of SMW. I mean, we've seen 2 Galaxy games & SM3DL(those even being quite different with the exception of Galaxy 1 & 2) in 5 years... While there have been 4 NSMB games(sharing little to no differences) in 6 years.

It's just a bit too much of NSMB to handle(to me), and Nintendo seemingly can't wait to shove more of it down our throats after it taking nearly 10 years of asking them to return to their roots. Just lay off for a while, already! :lol: Even if I can't help myself and will buy any real Mario game they release. :whistle2:#

Well, after NuSMB, we probably won't see one for 5 years considering Miyamoto is dead set on 1 NSMB game per platform, just like Mario Kart. I 100% don't expect Wii U to have a Mario game next year, whether it be 3D Mario or Mario Kart. This is of course assuming Miyamoto doesn't retire and Iwata demands yearly Mario games. For now though, I suspect DLC will suffice for it.

As for the level design of this game, I recall (maybe incorrectly) that this game was made by people who work at SPD, so...when you go looking for Star Coins, it sort of feels a bit like Metroid to be honest to explore the levels for them. Some of them are in real dick locations, too.

I'm trying to pick this game up again, and I'm at 126,000 Coins. I think I'll try to get to 250,000 Coins before I decide what I want to do next with it.

bread's done
Back