Should my PS3 be doing this?

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!
I just bought my PS3 last night, and I'm noticing this whirring noise while I play games. Should it be doing that? Is this normal?

Mine makes a disturbing and loud cracking sound at least once each time I use it. I have no idea what makes the sound but I assume it's a component heating up. Seems like a bad design. I have a slim.

[quote name='Blaster man']Mine makes a disturbing and loud cracking sound at least once each time I use it. I have no idea what makes the sound but I assume it's a component heating up. Seems like a bad design. I have a slim.[/QUOTE]

I think that's the external casing (plastic) expanding from heating up as the system is in use. Mine makes the same noise, but after I turn the system off (plastic contracting from cooling). It's been doing it forever and very consistently, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

[quote name='Warner1281']I think that's the external casing (plastic) expanding from heating up as the system is in use. Mine makes the same noise, but after I turn the system off (plastic contracting from cooling). It's been doing it forever and very consistently, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.[/QUOTE]

Mine's always done it also. I guess I just assume it will break down eventually though I hope it's just the plastic case and not an important component.

bread's done
Back