Alan Wake PHYSICAL PC release coming out tomorrow @ Walmart/Target?

Nintendonly

CAGiversary!
This is a silent release (therefore: rare), and I didn't find out about it until reading forums on the digging that some gamers did in Steam's registry today for Alan Wake's American Nightmare (unrelated to this situation).

So I was Googling for articles on that but came up with some articles on Legacy Interactive having the official distribution rights for the physical PC release of Alan Wake in North America instead. If you didn't know, Legacy Interactive is like Big Fish Games and Popcap, meaning they are known for those cheap PC games that old ladies buy that are usually in thin cardboard boxes or the thin CD jewel cases, often being ripoffs of other big name games (like I Spy; but instead would be called "Eye Spy" or whatever).

Anyway, I was digging and ended up finding out that Legacy Interactive delayed the physical release to a week or so AFTER April 16 (the original release was supposed to be April 3rd or whatever). If my math is correct and if they follow typical release date procedure, that makes the release Tuesday, April 24, which is tomorrow.

Now, since I work for Walmart and come across these types of games every so often, it is entirely possible that these WILL NOT be in typical shipping boxes but instead they'll more than likely be in "directs" boxes (at least, that's what my co-workers call them). Since I am a part-timer, I don't experience these things as much as I'd like to, but they are usually just thrown in random boxes filled with all kinds of electronics-based goods like ink cartridges and camera cases and come right off the truck. Please note that NOT ALL WALMARTS ARE THE SAME!

Anyway, the reason why this is in the DEALs section is because this may be just as rare as the PC release of Twisted Metal 2. Now, if somebody could get me the 12-digit UPC number for Legacy Interactive's release (NOT Nordic Game's European release), I could find out if it will actually be carried at Walmarts/Targets. Walmart typically uses the first 11 digits of UPC numbers, and I can print out a dummy barcode for Targets to scan since they use a funkily-named system.

Since I posted at 12:01 AM (EST), "tomorrow" may be "today" for a few of you. Gah, I'm tired anyway and may have confused a few people regardless.

Thanks for the information! I'd love to get my hands on a physical copy.

I imagine you mean the game will be releasing on Tuesday the 24th, correct?

[quote name='angel001']So what is the actual date? the 24th??[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure and "directs" typically DO NOT follow release dates because they aren't shipped in time-sensitive street dated boxes, but I'm not even sure if this release is even going to be in "directs" boxes to begin with.

I am also unsure as to WHAT KIND of disc box Alan Wake will be in. Will it be standard CD jewel case? Slimline CD jewel case? Cardboard CD case? Hollow DVD-sized case? I do not know.

[quote name='mattcube64']I imagine you mean the game will be releasing on Tuesday the 24th, correct?[/QUOTE]

If they are following typical release date procedure, then yeah, which I am still not sure of. What's even more confusing is that sometimes my Walmart doesn't get release-dated products before and/or on their release dates; sometimes they'll receive them MONTHS after, like what happened with Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Soul Calibur V Collector's Edition.

What's also confusing is that Popcap/Big Fish/etc, typically DO NOT follow release dates to begin with and just send their games out all willy-nilly.

Well thanks for the heads up, OP! I'd love it if you could keep us updated; and if for some reason other users or mods give you a hard time, I'd appreciate a PM if you find out anything concrete.

Thanks!

this is from legacy interactive facebook post on april 16th

"Alan Wake retail boxes will be shipped to Target and Walmart stores this week. It will probably take them another week or two to get it on the shelves. We expect the retail box to be available on Amazon within a week or two as well."

I think I found the UPC number-

Remember, Walmart typically uses the first 11 digits in their Telxons/Telezons and registers for whatever reason. Anyone with a 24-hour Walmart able to check to see if it is in their systems?

I really hope Target has this for 29.99. I would love to get it for $9.99 with the current $20 coupon trade in promo that Target has going right now.

[quote name='teddybass']does the physical copy require steam to be installed?[/QUOTE]

Thats a good question, once someone gets their hands on a copy.

[quote name='teddybass']does the physical copy require steam to be installed?[/QUOTE]

Unless they distribute with a completely different form of DRM, which seems unlikely but not unprecedented, then it most likely will require Steam.

Also, I don't see what the big deal is about this box copy and why it is so rare other than boxed copies of PC games in general these days are somewhat rare.

AFAIK all copies of the PC version have the XBox 360 DLC built in. I got mine on Amazon and it wasn't the collector's edition and it had the DLC. It's not even registered as DLC in Steam, it's just built into the base game.

The digital download has been as cheap as $20 and will likely go cheaper in the near future so unless you absolutely must have a box and a disc, you are probably better off just waiting for a sale to grab the DD. More than likely you will need to run it through Steam either way anyhow.

I went to the Walmart in Warwick (Bald Hill Road) in Rhode Island and had one of the associates there type in the first 11 digits of the UPC number into the Telezon she was using, and it definitely showed up as being in the system with Navarre Corporation as the manufacturer but it was in "NOF" mode, so the release is probably not this week but maybe next week.

I'm going to try Target next.

Target had the same thing. It definitely showed up in their system with Navarre as the distributor, but it came up as the screen indicating that there aren't any counts for it.

I got an email from Legacy Interactive:

"Hi ____,

Thank you for writing to us, and your interest in Alan Wake. We received word today that the first run of boxed copies have shipped from our manufacturers. I have checked the tracking numbers, and it looks like it will be hitting most retail stores by this Friday, the 27th. Once we get confirmation from Walmart that it has hit their stores, I can email you an alert if you’d like.

I can also help set up payment for you so that we can ship a copy to you directly when we receive them here in our office. We normally do not ship retail products out of our office, but we’ve really appreciated your enthusiasm and patience regarding the boxed version of Alan Wake. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Eddie Kim
Office Manager
Legacy Interactive
"

So they may have them by Friday. Thankfully, I have work that day so I can keep track of it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Man, I commend your dedication to finding this game. For them to offer to ship it to you is just wow...[/QUOTE]

Them offering to ship it to me is far from being worth it, especially since I get a discount for working at Walmart.

[quote name='loc0bob']I love how microcenter has this listed as "Alan Awake".[/QUOTE]

And coming soon, Alan Awakes from his New American Nightmare! :lol:

If so many retailers are picking this up, what makes you think it will be rare? It seems that this fits the PC gamer crowd better than the rare Twisted Metal mentioned. It seems if they can sell it, they will produce as many copies as needed.

[quote name='sassylaurie']If so many retailers are picking this up, what makes you think it will be rare? It seems that this fits the PC gamer crowd better than the rare Twisted Metal mentioned. It seems if they can sell it, they will produce as many copies as needed.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, I don't think this will be rare.. and there's probably not much point in buying it if it uses Steam DRM unless it's discounted. Might as well buy it on steam instead.

[quote name='sassylaurie']If so many retailers are picking this up, what makes you think it will be rare? It seems that this fits the PC gamer crowd better than the rare Twisted Metal mentioned. It seems if they can sell it, they will produce as many copies as needed.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't supposed to get a physical retail release in North America. And it will be rare in the sense that maybe only ~50,000 copies were produced.

Add to the fact that it will mostly be available online, with Walmarts/Targets being the only brick-and-mortar stores carrying it, with maybe 0-2 copies per store.

Any updates on this being out at Target/Wally World? I'd like to get it today with the $20 coupon thing if possible. Does anyone have a DPCI?

Interesting, didn't realize this was coming as a hard copy. Would love to pick one up if I see it in a store. I'm a sucker for physical copies.

[quote name='Scorch']weren't we talking about Alan Wake and not the DLC/spin-off?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I decided to bring this up as well-

"Alan Wake’s American Nightmare will go on sale in retail shortly after through Nordic Games."

bread's done
Back