Funimation Anime Sale

Doesn't seem like the best prices these have ever been. Always wanted to blind buy Summer Wars, but it refuses to drop below $15. :\

Really tempted to get Sengoku Basara: Complete Series (which is only season 1, no idea why the call it the complete set) for $20. I probably will hold back just case I got it on Netflix and don't even make time to watch it.

[quote name='HanawayCoca']Anyone recommend the .hack/ series?[/QUOTE]

Quantum, you mean? Not really, no.

$30 is a steal for Princess Jellyfish, though. One of the best shows of the last couple years.

[quote name='nightmare452']Really tempted to get Sengoku Basara: Complete Series (which is only season 1, no idea why the call it the complete set) for $20. I probably will hold back just case I got it on Netflix and don't even make time to watch it.[/QUOTE]

I just watched it over the last few days. Not really worth owning, but it was entertaining enough for a one-time watch. Absolutely zero depth.

[quote name='HanawayCoca']Anyone recommend the .hack/ series?

Other than that, most are just recycled sale from last year.[/QUOTE]

I paid $15 for it and I thought it was okay, really nice animation too.

There's nothing in this sale for me sadly, I'd really like a Clannad Blu Ray sale at some point... some day...

Sales look bleh at best. Only thing I'd get is Trigun Badlands Rumble. Everything else I'll wait til they're about $15

$30 is a steal for Princess Jellyfish, though. One of the best shows of the last couple years.

Good show for what was made but it doesn't really come to a satisfying ending. Same goes for Clannad which I just finished. I would really like to hear that they are going to finish these shows.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Good show for what was made but it doesn't really come to a satisfying ending. Same goes for Clannad which I just finished. I would really like to hear that they are going to finish these shows.[/QUOTE]Did you watch the Clannad sequel series, After Story? I can say with the utmost certainty that that has a satisfying ending.

MAN, does it have a satisfying ending... ;)

[quote name='Jodou']Doesn't seem like the best prices these have ever been. Always wanted to blind buy Summer Wars, but it refuses to drop below $15. :\[/QUOTE]

Summer Wars is awesome, get it!

Quantum, which is the one on sale, no.

[quote name='Vigilante']Did you watch the Clannad sequel series, After Story? I can say with the utmost certainty that that has a satisfying ending.

MAN, does it have a satisfying ending... ;)[/QUOTE]

Seconded........son of a bitch that was a fantastic ending!!!!! I may or may not have cried........now I have to punch something endangered and dangerous to boost my man cred back up..

[quote name='Vigilante']Did you watch the Clannad sequel series, After Story? I can say with the utmost certainty that that has a satisfying ending.

Opps. my bad I meant claymore not clannad, I just got clannad and haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I would get Hetalia for my wife because she LOVES that show - but $20 for the complete series, which isn't really complete, then $20 for season 3, then $15 for the movie? And the show is only 5 mins an episode, so the seasons aren't very long anyway? Eh, I'll wait for a cheaper price and/or a true "complete" set - maybe even on blu.

After Story is one of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

The ending of After Story is absolutely terrible, but that's a different discussion — something more suited for say, the anime thread in the off topic forum.

As for this sale, everyone should be buying, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, both Evangelion movies, Summer Wars, Eden of the East, and Princess Jellyfish.

My brother and I are working through Eden of the East, and we're both loving it so far, but I'm wondering if I should get the sequel movies while they're on sale. Is that a good idea?

[quote name='Vigilante']My brother and I are working through Eden of the East, and we're both loving it so far, but I'm wondering if I should get the sequel movies while they're on sale. Is that a good idea?[/QUOTE]

The movies aren't as good as the tv series. They should have done 2 more series instead of two movies :(

[quote name='killa5k7']Can anyone recommend Hetalia? or Even Darker Than Black?[/QUOTE]

Neither.

[quote name='Vigilante']My brother and I are working through Eden of the East, and we're both loving it so far, but I'm wondering if I should get the sequel movies while they're on sale. Is that a good idea?[/QUOTE]

The movies are nowhere near as good as the TV series, but if you really enjoy the characters and want to watch them talk at each other for another 3-4 hours, you might still like them enough.

I disagree on Darker Than Black. I just finished watching it, and thoroughly enjoyed the elements that it mixed. Lemon just hates most everything =P

[quote name='Zaku77']I disagree on Darker Than Black. I just finished watching it, and thoroughly enjoyed the elements that it mixed. Lemon just hates most everything =P[/QUOTE]

Everything that sucks! ;)

So after the recommendations, I am going to try Summer Wars. How about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? Is it worth $24?

As for Eden of the East, I enjoyed it. I felt like the end was a little rushed but it was a fun adventure.

Kirin usually deal breaks for me(EVERY show Kirin recommended is a award winner for me and wife) Wanting to bite on Girl Who Leapt Through Time as Well...any recommends?

Eden of the East was just alright for me, It had huge potential to be awesome but instead of focusing on "the game" and the other selecao it was too much all over the place and lighthearted. The premise was amazing, I'm just really sad it didn't go anywhere.

I just noticed that they just released a new FMA Brotherhood collection that has half the series for $36.99, it's a better deal than buying the blu-ray packs seperately. The second half comes out in July apparently. It's very tempting...

[quote name='killa5k7']Kirin usually deal breaks for me(EVERY show Kirin recommended is a award winner for me and wife) Wanting to bite on Girl Who Leapt Through Time as Well...any recommends?[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it! :D

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is excellent, and I'd suggest picking it up sooner rather than later, what with Bandai's eventual collapse.

thanks for the heads up.

could i get an opinion on the Samurai Champloo: Complete Series (Blu-Ray). is it good quality and has it been sold for much cheaper? thanks in advance.

I'd pass on the movies unless you really want more Eden of the East, or need to conclude the story. The movies feel rushed and are nowhere near as good as the series.

So there aren't any series worth picking up in this sale? I think I'll grab. /hack just because I have all the games.
Also, Clannad is my favorite Anime ever, and the After Story is great also.

[quote name='DCpinoy']thanks for the heads up.

could i get an opinion on the Samurai Champloo: Complete Series (Blu-Ray). is it good quality and has it been sold for much cheaper? thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I think the latest version of the blu-ray is a better release (quality wise) than the original blu-ray.

From what I can remember the lowest it ever go to on amazon was around $18 last year during the amazon anime sale.

If you haven't seen the series it is a fantastic watch.

[quote name='KtMack23']So there aren't any series worth picking up in this sale? I think I'll grab. /hack just because I have all the games.
Also, Clannad is my favorite Anime ever, and the After Story is great also.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for the cheapest price, then probably not, as most of these series have been a few dollars cheaper during previous sales on Amazon. Otherwise, the selection isn't bad. Of the titles available that I've watched, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Summer Wars would be my highest recommendations. The next three I'd recommend would be Full Metal Panic (all three seasons), Eden of the East (series only), and Yu Yu Hakusho. Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist would round off my list, as both are flawed, but enjoyable. Every series I listed I either have or would rewatch.

[quote name='jedimario']So after the recommendations, I am going to try Summer Wars. How about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? Is it worth $24?
[/QUOTE]

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is an excellent movie...its the kind of movie I recommend to customers who are new to anime, as its the kind of movie that people who aren't really into anime can watch.

[quote name='Zaku77']Summer Wars is awesome, get it![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vigilante']Seconded. You will not be disappointed. :applause:[/QUOTE]
I worry because people said the same about Eden of the East and I didn't like it at all. I tend to like the darker stuff like Blood, Jin-Roh, or intelligent films like Ghost in the Shell. That said I still dig Ghibli films for the fantasy aspect and brilliant storytelling.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Glad to hear it! :D

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is excellent, and I'd suggest picking it up sooner rather than later, what with Bandai's eventual collapse.[/QUOTE]I second this, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a great movie.

[quote name='Jodou']I worry because people said the same about Eden of the East and I didn't like it at all. I tend to like the darker stuff like Blood, Jin-Roh, or intelligent films like Ghost in the Shell. That said I still dig Ghibli films for the fantasy aspect and brilliant storytelling.[/QUOTE]

Summer Wars is much better than Eden Of The East. (if you count the movies, not just the original series) If you prefer 'darker' type stuff, though, I can't really see you liking Summer Wars.

[quote name='antlp89']I think the latest version of the blu-ray is a better release (quality wise) than the original blu-ray.

From what I can remember the lowest it ever go to on amazon was around $18 last year during the amazon anime sale.

If you haven't seen the series it is a fantastic watch.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Then I might have to snag this, its not that far off the lowest price. I watched the whole series a couple summers ago and ever since then I've wanted to buy it on blu ray or dvd. So this seems to be a good chance.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Glad to hear it! :D

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is excellent, and I'd suggest picking it up sooner rather than later, what with Bandai's eventual collapse.[/QUOTE]

You weren't kidding it jumped $10 from yesterday to today.

Also, thanks to everyone who recommended that I get it.

.Hack/series is amazing!!! check out goodanime.net
i'm a huge .hack fan

[quote name='Zaku77']I disagree on Darker Than Black. I just finished watching it, and thoroughly enjoyed the elements that it mixed. Lemon just hates most everything =P[/QUOTE]

darker then black season 1 is good. season 2 is kinda wtf and over quickly still decent but season 1 is great except the random last episode

Agreed, season two is not very good. In fact, I would even say it's skip-able unless there is a season three in the future. It doesn't resolve anything, and I like how they leave it at the end of the first season more.

Looking at the list I'm considering picking up Eden in the East series.

I would recommend Samurai Champloo, summer wars and the girl who leapt through time.

[quote name='HunteR7411']Looking at the list I'm considering picking up Eden in the East series.
[/QUOTE]

It looks like it is still on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/eden-of-the-east

I watched Eden of the East there and enjoyed it. For people who are on the fence, it might be a good place to test it out?

[quote name='Jodou']Someone once linked me the entire series on youtube I think.[/QUOTE]

A lot of these shows are on Netflix too, so there's that as well.

bread's done
Back