PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale - Coming Holiday 2012, First Gameplay Footage Un

jwk94

CAGiversary!
Playstation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale1.png

For years PlayStation fans have wished that a title similar to Nintendo's Super Smash Bros would make its debut on a PlayStation platform. Today, that dream has been realized in PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale.

Previously referred to as Title Fight, All-Stars was first revealed by Paul Gale of paulgalenetwork.com. As it turned out, all of Paul's details about All Stars were in fact true.

GameTrailers TV with Geoff Keighley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNEWkI8Hak

Developed by SuperBot Entertainment, All-Stars features a robust cast of both PlayStation mascots, and 3rd party characters set to a Super Smash Bros type gameplay that allows up to 4 players to duke it out on-screen. The current roster is comprised of: Sweet Tooth, Sly Cooper, PaRappa the Rapper, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, and Kratos.

Each character will sport a different play style, allowing anybody to hop on All-Stars and find a character that suits their needs. Move set wise, each character features your basic kicks and punches along with a three-tiered special system.

Specials in All-Stars are executed by obtaining energy - indicated by the bar next to your character's portrait - from orbs dropped by players when they take damage, the more orbs you collect, the more energy you have which will allow you to execute your special. While levels 1 and 2 seem to be flashy attacks that based on what that character is most known for, the level 3 special is where the game really takes a turn.

From what we've been shown so far, each characters' level 3 special transforms them into a damage-dealing brawler. Fat Princess calls upon her army of minions as she sits atop her throne eating cake while her vassals attack the other players. Kratos dawns his Armor of Aries which grants him the power of the gods to slay the competition. Colonel Radec equips a jetpack and goes into a first-person mode - think Solid Snake's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros Brawl - that lets the player rain down hell. Sweet Tooth hops in his ice cream truck that promptly transforms into a robot around three times the size of the rest of the players. Although it would be nice if the level 3 specials were a bit more cinematic, I suppose that would only delay the fast-paced action that All-Stars looks to offer. Did I mention it runs at 60FPS?

Levels in All-Stars are taken from various PlayStation franchises. What makes the levels so interesting is that SuperBot meshed franchises together for some levels. As a result, you'll be fighting in a stage with Patapons messing with Hades in the background of one stage and a Ratchet and Clank-Hydra themed stage. The backgrounds in each of these stages will mostly be dynamic, meaning the characters you see in the background will interact with the players during battle.

The stage that really caught my attention was LittleBigPlanet's stage. This stage starts off as a plain area, and as time passes, the game begins to build the environment, replicating the "Create. Share. Play." aspect of the LittleBigPlanet series. The final phase of this level reveals the Buzz Quiz Show announcer as he takes center stage, periodically shocking players during the match or offering players buffs for answering questions correctly. If SuperBot is able to come up with some more interesting stages, I'll surely be impressed.

Fans of the Super Smash Bros series will also be delighted to know that All-Stars will feature an local and online multiplayer, free for all, and other game modes!

Overally, All-Stars looks like an amazing game. While some might dismiss it as a shameless knockoff of the Super Smash Bros series, I'm certainly excited for this game. I do agree that the game largely resembles Super Smash Bros is almost every aspect, but as long as the game is good, I'm completely fine with that. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale is due this Holiday season exclusively for the PlayStation 3. As Paul Gale already reported, All-Stars will be playable during this year's E3 so stay tuned!

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale - Coming Holiday 2012, First Gameplay Footage Unveiled - AnalogHype

I'm really excited!!!

This looks really good but I just don't have the nostalgia or affection for Sony characters. It sounds like a lot of PS3 owners are going to be happy though!

Will pick this one up cheap to be sure, but not on release. I'm more of a 2D/2.5D fighter type, but this game does seem interesting enough to be added to my collection eventually.

Something about Sony's first party games I don't really like... they all look shiny with no textures and generic... this looks like Playstation Smash Brothers made with Little Big Planet. :\

I'm excited because of a big fan of the Smash Bros series but at the same time cautiously optimistic. The game looks great so far, but I've been let down before with another Smash clone, and that was TMNT Smash-up. Of course that isn't much to compare to but there you go.

[quote name='UjnHunter']Something about Sony's first party games I don't really like... they all look shiny with no textures and generic... this looks like Playstation Smash Brothers made with Little Big Planet. :\[/QUOTE]

Did you look at the video or any other screens? The image in the OP is clearly a LBP level...

[quote name='SynGamer']Color me impressed. Will be interesting to see how they handle online. Did anyone hear if this will be 60 fps?[/QUOTE]

60 fps confirmed.

I am very amazed people are actually excited for this... I mean... it's a carbon copy of a game that's been out for years.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I am very amazed people are actually excited for this... I mean... it's a carbon copy of a game that's been out for years.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because they want to play a SSB type game with Sony characters? The general concept of the game is the same but that's like saying BlazBlue is carbon copy of Street Fighter.

All complaints about this game being a rip off will become null and void if the game ends up being fun to play.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I am very amazed people are actually excited for this... I mean... it's a carbon copy of a game that's been out for years.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much the game itself that most of us are excited about, but being able to play as the characters that we all know and love in a SSB type of environment. It's a dream roster that wouldn't be possible in a Nintendo game alone, so now we finally get the option to have the best of both worlds.

lmao who the fuck are these psx fans who wanted a ssb clone on the ps3? if anything they should have done something like powerstone that game was the shit.

[quote name='lokizz']lmao who the fuck are these psx fans who wanted a ssb clone on the ps3? if anything they should have done something like powerstone that game was the shit.[/QUOTE]

I generally don't like fighters, but I love SSB. So this is an obvious win for me.

[quote name='lokizz']lmao who the fuck are these psx fans who wanted a ssb clone on the ps3? if anything they should have done something like powerstone that game was the shit.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And a Powerstone clone would suit the roster better imo.

This is such a bad ripoff of SSB it's not even funny. It looks awful.

Yeah, it was cool when Nintendo did it. Now I'm completely burned out on the concept and have no interest.

I think the game looks great. I pre-ordered it on Amazon already. I never owned a Smash Bros game since I never owned a system that it appeared on (aside from Wii, which I got rid of shortly after I wasted money on it), and only played it casually a handful of times, so I am very excited for a similar game to come out on a system I actually own, with characters from games I actually play.

[quote name='mightymek']I think the game looks great. I pre-ordered it on Amazon already. I never owned a Smash Bros game since I never owned a system that it appeared on (aside from Wii, which I got rid of shortly after I wasted money on it), and only played it casually a handful of times, so I am very excited for a similar game to come out on a system I actually own, with characters from games I actually play.[/QUOTE]
so youve never played a mario game

[quote name='timesplitt']so youve never played a mario game[/QUOTE]

Where did I say that? I said I never owned a system with Smash Bros. I owned an NES and briefly a Wii. I always went the other way (Genesis, PS1, PS2, etc). But I liked what I casually played of Smash Bros, so I am excited to get a similar game on a system I own (hence where I said using characters from games I play...)

So, anyone play the beta yet?

I'm not a huge fan honestly. It looks so much like Smash Bros that I keep wanting it play like Smash Bros. But it seems like they made some decisions to make people think it's not like Smash Bros. For example, you use X to jump since seems to make sense in so many of these games but in a 2D Brawler, it just doesn't feel natural. The action is very hectic and it's near impossible to follow, especially with all the explosions and whatnot.

It would have been if they just left it at what it really is: a Smash Bros clone.

There's a big leak thread over at NeoGaf, detailing all the playable characters, non-playable characters and stages in the game. I personally think the playable character roster sucks since it includes
2 versions of Cole (a waste), Raiden (not Snake) and Emo Dante (which I assume will play at 30 fps while the others are at 60 fps)

it plays better than it appears on videos.
It looks sorta blah when I first watched videos, but after playing it for hours the past two days and learning the moves ect.. it's fun to play surprisingly.
I'm a big fighting fan but never played too much smash bros.
If they work out the nicks and polish it up more it should be real fun. will need an open demo to convince some of you i feel thou.

[quote name='KingBroly']There's a big leak thread over at NeoGaf, detailing all the playable characters, non-playable characters and stages in the game. I personally think the playable character roster sucks since it includes
2 versions of Cole (a waste), Raiden (not Snake) and Emo Dante (which I assume will play at 30 fps while the others are at 60 fps)
[/QUOTE]

obviously they are going to do the newer version of that character since there is a game coming out.

Yeah, Im hoping thats not the full roster, cuz Im a tad disappointed. Had a feelin Raiden would replace Snake since he seems to fit better in a fighting game and has Revengeance...eventually...coming out.

Good and Evil Cole should just be an alternate costume, or even switchable forms during battle. While they probably, and should, have different move lists, just wish it was a different character.

Wonder how much DLC will come out for this game...

If they were going to sell people on this they would go all out and start from the PS1 era and get every character in it they could (some would say what about a sequel) to move sales and make a hit game and go the extra mile by licensing Crash and Spyro from Universal/Activision, and then thrown in a few fan services with some Ape Escape monkeys (we've not seen them yet) and just be a big ole love letter to the history of playstation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we sure that's evil Cole? I'd be fine with that, but it kind of looked like Nathan Hale. (all I've seen is the "leak" picture, and it was hard to make out)

[quote name='uncle5555']If they were going to sell people on this they would go all out and start from the PS1 era and get every character in it they could (some would say what about a sequel) to move sales and make a hit game and go the extra mile by licensing Crash and Spyro from Universal/Activision, and then thrown in a few fan services with some Ape Escape monkeys (we've not seen them yet) and just be a big ole love letter to the history of playstation.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Haha, I didn't even know about the "leak" until today and was shocked to see Ape Escape being included. ;) Well at least great minds think alike. :lol:

I've been playing the new beta and I gotta say its pretty awesome, the only complaint I have is I get confused at times when we're all the same character. I put in a pre-order at newegg and can't wait for the full release.

I've got a beta key and 30 days of ps+ key for trade looking for some steam games for it. Preferably OMD2 or Worms reloaded. PS3 is officially dead so use for them.

I want to like this game, but I dont. It seems to me that kratos owns all unless you are sly sniping groups of people fighting with his level 1. Combo system is ass and I feel like I am struggling just to get the character to do what I want them to do. They have to do some major tweaking to salvage this game in my opinion. Oh and can we drop the SSB comparison? Other than the 2d 4 player fighter aspect, I dont think this plays anything like SSB.

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']I want to like this game, but I dont. It seems to me that kratos owns all unless you are sly sniping groups of people fighting with his level 1. Combo system is ass and I feel like I am struggling just to get the character to do what I want them to do. They have to do some major tweaking to salvage this game in my opinion. Oh and can we drop the SSB comparison? Other than the 2d 4 player fighter aspect, I dont think this plays anything like SSB.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this, I'm not digging this game very much at all, it just feels really plain. I played what was likely close to the final build at New York Comic Con, and it was just like the Beta. There just isn't a lot of depth or variety to the combat, I don't feel like there's a lot of skill involved. It's also clear that some characters have a distinct advantage over others. Based on the Beta, Parappa's melee style of combat is almost useless when up against Radec or Kratos who have a variety of ways to ensure you never get close enough to do any real damage. The stages are also very generic, and have little in the way of variety. The whole thing just falls flat for me.

Can anyone confirm how you obtain the vita version. Is it tied to the online pass, a seperate download voucher, or do you have to download from the disc like how Medal of Honor Frontline was from MOH.

I believe it's received from the Disk Benefits feature, but it sounds like everyone is having trouble with it right now.

Did anyone preorder at Best Buy? Just wondering how they handled the preorder costumes.

Loving the game! I had no problems redeeming my psvita copy. All on my psvita.

Only problem is.....isn't this supposed to cross save. Pick up and play on both. I can't get data to sync or whatever lol

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Loving the game! I had no problems redeeming my psvita copy. All on my psvita.

Only problem is.....isn't this supposed to cross save. Pick up and play on both. I can't get data to sync or whatever lol[/QUOTE]

How it the vita version activated? Do you have to DL from the disc?

bread's done
Back