CAGcast #281: Big Colors

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Surprisingly, everyone is playing Witcher 2. There is also talk on the Dragon’s Dogma demo, Bloodforge, Trials Evolution, Deep Black, and more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]190[/podcast]
Download - 75 minutes, 45MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

GoDaddy
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Sun is Shining - Bob Marley, Funkstar Deluxe / Red Lobster Commercial 1985

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

I can't believe Shipwreck forgot that the protagonist in Prototype 2 is not the same as in the original Prototype. Do some research next time.

Wombat - You do have the option in Trials: Evolution to have it where you bail out and it still counts as a finish. You have to turn it on though.

[quote name='shipwreck']I can't believe Shipwreck forgot that the protagonist in Prototype 2 is not the same as in the original Prototype. Do some research next time.[/QUOTE]

Preemptive strike! You win this time.

I don't get why Wombat tried to downplay Trials Evolution's success by comparing it to Mass Effect 3. XBLA games deal in smaller terms for records and success because they're made on a much smaller scale than top-tier retail games. People used the leaderboards to figure out that Trials sold about 100k on day one and it's at 435k right now, which is really good. In comparison, Fez has sold about 75k since its launch the Friday before Trials Evolution came out.

Venture Beat has some figures on the top XBLA games, which has Castle Crashers at #1 with 2.6 million copies sold and Trials HD is second at 1.8 million. That means Trials Evolution has already reached about 25% of what Trials HD sold and about 17% of the top-selling game in less than two weeks, so it's well on its way to becoming the best-selling XBLA game of all-time.

CheapyD brought it up, but I was curious too if all three of the CAG hosts would be going to E3 this year.

Am I the only person who went back and played through Mass Effect 2 to fix any of the mistakes they made going into Mass Effect 3?

I liked how the CAG cast hosts slagged Prototype 2, like a lot of the mainstream gaming press are. I think most people did not expect that game to get a sequel.

[quote name='CheapyD']I wound up buying Bloodforge. Enjoying it so far.[/QUOTE]

How do you like that camera? I saw the Giantbomb Quicklook and it was really messing me up. I also don't get motion sick ever.

Show Notes
00:00 Thug Life
08:30 Watch This, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
11:30 Not-so-new releases (CDX, Wirehead)
12:15 New Releases
12:15 Bloodforge
17:30 Prototype 2
19:30 Walking Dead
20:45 Risen 2
21:00 Deep Black episode 1
24:00 NBA Jam On Fire
26:00 Tribes
27:30 Rock Band 3 - Cinderella
29:45 Witcher 2
40:00 Dragon's Dogma
44:30 News
44:30 Adam Sessler leaving G4
46:00 The Darkness 2
47:15 Gambitious (sp?)
48:45 Nexon/EA
50:15 Trials Evolution
56:45 Splatters
58:45 NBA Baller Beats
62:15 Nintendo posts losses
63:30 Appletime
65:30 Cagbag
66:00 Fez

Hey Wombat,

Do you know who is the voice of the owl and sings the songs in "I Love to Singa'?

It's Tommy Bond who is famous for playing Butch in the Little Rascals!

pretty cool depression era trivia

So let me get this straight, Cheapy: At some point during your week, you are walking around in public touting a transparent plastic bag containing your underwear and stick of deo?

I'm glad someone asked about FEZ, as I expected Shipwreck to have talked about it by now. I had to buy the thing after seeing Indie Game The Movie. I highly recommend that flick when it hits wide distribution.

I didn't play the demo, but in playing the game, I thought it had one of the best intro sequences ever. It really tugged on my nostalga and senses. It has a big barrier to entry as the game's puzzles are tough and have their own written language. Still, if you are up for a mental challenge (NOT a platforming one) and are in no hurry it's a beautiful and brilliant little game.

[quote name='shipwreck']They are similar. Bloodforge doesn't have those awful platforming sections though.[/QUOTE]

Those were pretty awful. At least it had those torn nude photos to find.

Cheapy - If you are going to take Tai to the Avengers don't sit by some overweight, comic fanboy. I made that mistake for Thor and when my 6 year old son got excited at one point and yelled, this angry nerd in front of us turned around and yelled at him. When I said "relax, it's a movie", he told me to fuck off. Funny thing, he was about 27 and he was literally with his mom.

Wombat- Complete aside. I have a 10 year old and 6 year old who play together. Sometimes when the play, it gets rough. After endless "Papa- Lisa is hurting me" whines, I finally said- "If one of you is hurting the other just say KAZOO". My kids completely adopted it so at least once a day when they are rough-housing I hear coming from some part of the house "Kazoo....I said...KAZOO!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy if you haven't ordered everything already why not look into hackintosh compatible hardware for your new gaming rig and dualboot? Maybe even put ubuntu or another linux distro on your old imac and you can have all 3 major operating at your fingertips. Would be alot cheaper than buying both than ordering both an imac and gaming rig.

[quote name='harrymcback']No Excuses Bitches - Drive Coming to Netflix Streaming 5/16

http://www.streamingsoon.com/ - no direct link but just do a find for Drive and you'll see it.[/QUOTE]

It's a really good movie. Especially if you are a fan of 80's moives. It has a real 80's movie vibe.

shipwreck, a tip for the CDX - it's possible to get Y/Pb/Pr component video using a RGB SCART custom cable + converter setup. A bit expensive but well worth the cost, IMHO. The CDX I'm using has a custom s-video out (from years ago, before the SCART solution was available) and even s-video is a huge upgrade.

Cheapy, how will you use your imac as a monitor? I thought that was only a feature in the newer imacs? I only ask because I wanted to try the same thing with mine.

By the way, I'm diggin' the dance songs at the beginning. Keep it up!

[quote name='Stryffe2004']It's a really good movie. Especially if you are a fan of 80's moives. It has a real 80's movie vibe.[/QUOTE]

I had wanted to get it from Redbox but hadn't had a night free to watch it. With it being on streaming I'll be able to watch it early in the morning on the weekends since everyone else in the house sleeps in but me.

Cheapy, make sure you look at the video input specs of the new 27" iMacs. I believe that the 2011 and newer ones (the ones with Thunderbolt) will only accept video from another Thunderbolt video card (i.e. other macs).
I specifically bought a 2010 27" iMac as they will accept input from a display port device.

Finally got around to listening to this week's CAGcast after being on vacation for a week. Glad to have something to come back to.

Cheapy, you should really just talk about Drive already instead of making cryptic comments like, "people thought I enjoyed it." Obviously Shipwreck and Wombat aren't going to watch it anytime soon, so just come out and tell us what you thought. Personally I found the action sequences to be some of the best of the year but the dialogue between the two main characters really dragged the film down.

On the subject of movies, don't discount the Swedish version of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It's on Netflix instant watch so I'd say definitely watch and compare. Both films have their own look and feel. I think Noomi Rapace made for a better Lizbeth in the original version while Daniel Craig was the better Mikael in the remake. I'm not going to say you should read the book but you should at least watch both versions.

I've never given feedback for the CAGcast so I have to start out by thanking you guys for making such an entertaining discussion about video games and other nerdly things.

I've been listening on and off for over a year now, so this may have come up before. As someone who is getting married in a month and wants to start a family within the next few years, your discussions about exposing your kids to movies and video games always has me thinking about what I'm going to be doing when I'm the parent.

I'm hoping that my question does not come across as criticism of your parenting styles but more to start a discussion as to the how's and why's of exposing media to our children. So here's the question: what makes you constantly question the things your children are exposed to, when you most likely were not raised this same way? Unless you feel you were brought up poorly, you are most likely going to agree that you turned out alright and were exposed to far worse things than the Avengers and Looney Tunes. I remember it coming up several times on past CAGcasts, but the only other example I specifically recall was Cheapy playing Skyrim with his son.

When I was a child, my parents were either extremely liberal or oblivious to the things I was being exposed to. I was playing Mortal Kombat by age 7 and watching Rated R movies like Scream by age 10, and feel like I turned out generally fine.

Do you think shielding what one's children are exposed to may actually produce a negative effect?

Cheapy, any of you guys, what is the name/artist who made the disco/techno song at the beginning of the podcast. I'm with Shipwreck, getting stupid in here!

Also, I'd just like to add this thought.

A man carrying his dirty undies in a sandwich bag. Well, it's Japan after all, and I'm sure there are people doing crazier/sicker things than that over there.

[quote name='fatbody75']Cheapy, any of you guys, what is the name/artist who made the disco/techno song at the beginning of the podcast. I'm with Shipwreck, getting stupid in here![/QUOTE]
You should read the thread.

Shame Witcher 2 hasn't grabbed Wombat. I seriously think Wombat should play the first one for the lore before jumping into the sequel. It did a better job building the world just like the first Mass Effect game. The sequel has a lot of great moments but the callbacks and returning characters from the first game enhances the experience.

I think you guys should keep going cuz the story does get really good. Some really great twists and reveals. There's also way more combat later. Don't give up.

[quote name='Speschal K']I've never given feedback for the CAGcast so I have to start out by thanking you guys for making such an entertaining discussion about video games and other nerdly things.

I've been listening on and off for over a year now, so this may have come up before. As someone who is getting married in a month and wants to start a family within the next few years, your discussions about exposing your kids to movies and video games always has me thinking about what I'm going to be doing when I'm the parent.

I'm hoping that my question does not come across as criticism of your parenting styles but more to start a discussion as to the how's and why's of exposing media to our children. So here's the question: what makes you constantly question the things your children are exposed to, when you most likely were not raised this same way? Unless you feel you were brought up poorly, you are most likely going to agree that you turned out alright and were exposed to far worse things than the Avengers and Looney Tunes. I remember it coming up several times on past CAGcasts, but the only other example I specifically recall was Cheapy playing Skyrim with his son.

When I was a child, my parents were either extremely liberal or oblivious to the things I was being exposed to. I was playing Mortal Kombat by age 7 and watching Rated R movies like Scream by age 10, and feel like I turned out generally fine.

Do you think shielding what one's children are exposed to may actually produce a negative effect?[/QUOTE]

Bolded: Well I want to say Sabrina isn't even 3. Do you remember anything from age 2 or 3? I think that age is perfectly fine to be over-protective, so the kid isn't traumatized. If your question was meant for the future as they raise them, then it really depends on Cheapy/Wombat. Who I think were both raised in a Jewish family.

Well first thing first, the internet didn't exist way back then, so there should be much more fear of exposure now.

How would you compare Mortal Kombat on SNES VS the new Mortal Kombat on Xbox/PS3? Huge difference. Even newer rated R movies are more gruesome and bloody. Scream is really tame in today's standards.

Cheapy letting his son see the live action The Avengers seems rather questionable, since I'm sure it's a PG-13 movie with some violence or subject matter that anyone under 5 may be too young. Cartoons are one thing, but I've never seen the newer super hero cartoons which Cheapy always mentions they are pretty violent.

My parents wouldn't let me watch The Simpsons when I was a kid, but when we were at the babysitters? Oh yeah, Simpsons time! If such a thing as Family Guy existed back then, my parents would have freaked out and it probably wouldn't have been on network television even.

I admire when Cheapy and Wombat talk about games they can play while their kids watch. Some other examples were Need For Speed and Toy Story 3.

Cheapyd please post the specs when your gaming pc is complete, I'm in the market for one too and need ideas on what parts to get.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']
Cheapy letting his son see the live action The Avengers seems rather questionable, since I'm sure it's a PG-13 movie with some violence or subject matter that anyone under 5 may be too young..[/QUOTE]

Dude dont be that guy.

Avengers wasn't too bad just loud. I found it strange that the it had previews for Prometheus (which was for frightening than the Avevgers) and Pixar's Brave.

[quote name='usickenme']Dude dont be that guy.

Avengers wasn't too bad just loud. I found it strange that the it had previews for Prometheus (which was for frightening than the Avevgers) and Pixar's Brave.[/QUOTE]

Brave makes sense considering Disney owns Marvel now.

So laughed a lot when you said Mrs. Cheapyd questions you working out before E3 every year. If I had been apart of the Cagcast I would've responded that you were getting fit enough to actually walk the show floor so you could check out everything bc most of the time you're sitting on your butt playing games. :lol: j/k.......well sorta.

Been to E3 97-98, show floor is massive so getting in shape for all the walking isn't a bad idea, tons of walking to do. Nice cagcast btw, they've been getting better lately so good job. :applause:

Wait wait wait.. did I hear Cheapy is getting a gaming PC for Tribes? YES! This is how it starts. A nice casual FPS leads to top down RTS which leads to a RPG only for the PC...within a few months, he will have World of Warcraft Account and hosting a segment "PC this bitches"!

bread's done
Back