Apple Jack 2 OUT TODAY (6/14) on XBLIG for 80 MSP!

sp8001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
AJ2v3.png

EDIT: Apple Jack 2 is OUT NOW! Grab it for a measly 80 MSP!

Apple Jack 2 is coming to XBLIG sometime within the next few weeks. It is currently in its final stages of playtesting. Tim (the creator) has released a trailer for this insane action puzzle platformer. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QAhiQTCZI&feature=player_embedded

Borrowing the throwing mechanic from Super Mario 2 and adding in an awesome combo system make this game one of the most unique platformers I have ever played.

I have been anticipating this release for many months ever since it was announced. Have any other CAGs been awaiting this release? I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the trailer as well as the first game.

I inquired My Owl regarding the launch price... He was initially planning on releasing @ $3 (240 MSP) but I think after all the articles on 80 point games selling a lot better on XBLIG he is going to launch at $1 (80 MSP). We will see... It is a great value at either of those price points.

If you missed out on the first game, Apple Jack... do yourself a favor and at least give the demo a shot. Throwing enemies and stringing together combos could not be more fun :D! Currently available on XBLIG for 80 MSP. Link: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Apple-Jack/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550530

Link to the official developer blog: http://myowlsoftware.blogspot.com/

I know there is a lot of junk on XBLIG, but there are also quite a few diamonds in the rough. If you haven't given XBLIG a shot, this game would be a great introduction.

I will update when a release date and/or price is finalized.

Update via Twitter: The game is completely finished and was submitted for peer review. But a last minute change to level 2 left a hidden bug and it had to get pulled from peer review to be fixed. As per MS rules, once a game is pulled or fails peer review, you must wait a week to resubmit. That was on 5/2/12. It should be coming out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! Loved Apple Jack. Will definitely pick this up as well if it's 80msp. Cheers for the info sp8001, I'd not heard about this anywhere else. Will keep an eye on the Indie section of the dashboard.

I actually bypassed this game because of the screenshots when I was browsing the XBLIG marketplace... static shots don't do the game justice. I'll try out the original as well as the sequel. The more I explore XBLIG, the more I love it!!! It really does take a lot of tedious work to browse the marketplace but it's worth it!

[quote name='dirtyvu']I actually bypassed this game because of the screenshots when I was browsing the XBLIG marketplace... static shots don't do the game justice.[/QUOTE]

I did the same exact thing when the game was first released. From the screenshots it looks like some sort of kids game. Boy, I was way off!

After the great reviews started rolling in, I gave it a shot and it ended up being one of my favorite XBLIGs.

You're right about XBLIG being a complete junkyard. It is hard to find the gems, but once you do you are greatly rewarded. Some of my favorite games for 360 have been on XBLIG. Score Rush, Aban Hawkins, Apple Jack, Cursed Loot, and Dead Pixels just to name a few.

And you definitely can't beat the price :D!

I'm disappointed more CAGs don't give XBLIGs a fair chance. Come on guys... Only 2 CAGs out of the thousands are anticipating this release?

I applaud MS for offering a service where anyone can make a game and sell it on the 360... But I blame MS for the complete lack of support and marketing these hidden gems. Someone employed by MS should really step forward and turn the XBLIG section into a pleasurable place to spend points.

I have to admit that the lack of global leaderboards for high score games, and the lack of achievements, are both things that tend to make me not end up playing XBLIG games as much as I probably should. There are some good games, though. But again have to admit - at least some of them I'm experiencing on iOS, not XBLIG, and liking them a lot better there due to global leaderboards and achievements. For example the Radian Games ports are awesome. Of course not all games translate well to that platform, but Radian Games has been doing an awesome job of it. Another great one on iOS, and that plays better than it does on XBLIG, is Hypership out of Control. It plays way better with a touchscreen, plus global leaderboards and achievements.

[quote name='sp8001']Come on guys... Only 2 CAGs out of the thousands are anticipating this release?[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that, I didn't notice you asked for thoughts & opinions from us about the first game in your OP:

Many of us loved the first game. It was weird, funny, weird, and great tight gameplay. I think I got a bit upset when I hit a level that I had to redo because I had forgotten to do something before the end and couldn't go back, but other than that, it was my first great 80-point purchase aside from the obligatory I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMBIES 1NIT!!!1.

Apple Jack 2 will be a The-Day-I-Notice-It's-Out purchase for me, so long as they keep it at 80msp. I generally look through all of the newly-released indie games about once a week.

Re:240msp XBLIG games: That just shouldn't happen anymore. Every now and again I see a few total rubbish games trying to release at 240 (saw one this week, I'll update with the name later) UPDATE: Cuddle Bear: the idiot who made it gave it a whoppingly bloated 242MB file size, hence the mandatory 240msp. A truly horrible "I made this in MS Paint during recess" game. I tend to laugh, give them one star, and continue on.

I don't care how long it took someone to make a game or how good they think it is, with the XBLIG bar set at 80 with games like Apple Jack, recently-reduced Tic part 1, recently-reduced Chester, previously-80 RadianGames line (jerks! You guys were the best!), Square Off, Star Ninja, Escape Goat, Laser Cat, and of course Bloody Checkers...that's a hell of a bar for anyone to think they're higher than.

At 80 points, all it takes is a slight interest or "clever girl" twist to get my attention & money. (I'm looking at you, Septipus - Tentacle Apocalypse)

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Apple Jack 2 will be going into peer review this Saturday. So it looks like it will be out sometime next week as long as there aren't any hidden bugs.

I rarely get excited about and indie game release, but I have been waiting for this one for a while ;). Most of the time, when it comes to indie games, I will wait and see what the reviews look like. This is a day 1 purchase for me though, along with a few others when they finally come out. Vorpal 2 for instance.

[quote name='sp8001']Most of the time, when it comes to indie games, I will wait and see what the reviews look like. [/QUOTE]

but we live in a demo world where we can make our own decisions. we shouldn't have to look at reviews first... that's why I love XBLIG and XBLA. we can try out the games. And yes, sometimes the demos don't match the retail build in the major releases. But XBLIG and XBLA are actually the real deal with the content only locked up.

reviews are only needed to bring exposure to games so that we can browse for them ourselves.

but yeah, I'm interested in trying out this game. :p

^ I can understand that... but it is a lot easier and faster for me to read a review at my desk rather than downloading the demo and trying it out later that night. Also reviews will let you know things that the demo can't. Like game length... I usually don't even bother to demo XBLIGs anymore. If the game peaks my interest I will just go ahead and throw down the $1 for it. I have bought a few duds, but most of the games I have purchased I have been very pleased with.

I haven't bought an indie game in a couple weeks... The games that have been coming out lately haven't looked that good. My most recent purchases have been EvilQuest and Chester. I haven't had a chance to play EvilQuest yet, but I have been having a lot of fun with Chester. It is aunique platformer. It reminds me of Earthworm Jim a little bit. And nobody can deny that the hand drawn art is beautiful. Very worthy $1 game.

Game is OUT! Just released today... Throw this awesome developer a bone and grab it for 80 spacebucks!

Let me know what you guys think! I was only able to try out the first five levels this morning (so far I am very impressed)... I can't wait to dive in deeper a little later tonight!

I bought both of these awhile back, and I just started the first one yesterday. Initial thoughts are that this is totally worth a dollar and could've done well as a full DS game. The levels I'm reaching now are starting to be pretty unforgiving.

bread's done
Back