Vita - Ragnarok Oddysey - 10/30 - Xseed & Game Arts' Monster Hunter Clone

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIhg-ur67Q0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opFs0zW_GBQ

XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, today announced that it will release the popular action RPG title Ragnarok Odyssey later this year on PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system in North America. Developed by Grandia and Lunar series veteran studio Game Arts and published by GungHo Online Entertainment in Japan, Ragnarok Odyssey is a new title set in the familiar Ragnarok Online universe. The game was released in Japan in early February to both retail and critical success as it garnered strong sales while earning a Famitsu Gold Award. The publishing agreement with GungHo Online Entertainment gives XSEED Games exclusive publishing rights for Ragnarok Odyssey in North America.

“Ragnarok Odyssey is an amazing game that players have recognized through its position as one of the best-selling PS®Vita titles in Japan,” said Ken Berry, Executive Vice President of XSEED Games. “To be able to offer this game, which has been the most requested title by our fans for some time now, is very rewarding and speaks to the level of quality we are committed to delivering to the players.”

An action-heavy RPG set in the lush landscape of the familiar Ragnarok Online universe, Ragnarok Odyssey is a fast-paced game with a heavy emphasis on melee combat. The game is set in a world where humans and giants are pitted against each other in battle following the death of the world’s ancient gods. Based on Norse Mythology, the world of Ragnarok Odyssey will begin to take form as players advance through the story, with new areas opening up as their journey goes on.

In Ragnarok Odyssey, players will embark on a campaign to take down monsters and giants of massive scale, and characters can chain together massive combo attacks both on the ground and in the air thanks to the game’s extremely versatile combat system. Massive enemies can literally be smacked across the screen, and players can even up their speed and agility at the expense of HP for particularly challenging battles. On top of this, the game promotes cooperative gameplay, supporting up to four players for ad-hoc and online cooperative gameplay.

Characters in Ragnarok Odyssey are fully customizable, and players are given the ability to choose from up to six job classes that can be changed throughout the game for specific quests. As quests are completed, characters can be upgraded to increase their combat effectiveness.

Ragnarok Odyssey was developed by Game Arts and GungHo Online Entertainment, exclusively for PS Vita system. The game will be published by XSEED Games in North America in 2012.

Not much like the above combinations? The great thing about Priests is that they have more independencewow gold to take pleasure from some great benefits of every single career compared to the other instructional classes. For example, Jewelcrafting permits Priests to generate soulbound treasures which enhance their statistics more compared to some other classes. Architectural in addition enables them tobuy wow gold construct brain items, googles, potion injectors and severalbuy wow gold other stuff.

Not big on Monster Hunter (probably becuase of the horrid PSP controls), but I am always down to support Game Arts and XSEED.

[quote name='blackjaw']Not big on Monster Hunter (probably becuase of the horrid PSP controls), but I am always down to support Game Arts and XSEED.[/QUOTE]

I tried Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii and just couldn't get into it for some reason. So, hopefully this one with dual joysticks and a touchscreen will have more of an appeal. And I'd like to support XSEED as well.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/09/smash-giants-with-your-ps-vita-in-ragnarok-odyssey/
Hey guys! How are you? You’re doing awesome, you say? That’s pretty awesome, I’m doing awesome myself. And you know why? Because I’ve been playing Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita. In English.

[Insert gasps of excitement here]

Are you ready to stand taller than giants? You should be, because that’s what this game is all about. One day, a passage along the Millennium Peaks gives humans access to the long-sealed off Sundered Land, and because they’re really lucky, it’s filled to the brim with mighty beasts that seem to want nothing more than to destroy mankind’s territory — Trogdor-style. Only they’re not dragons with handsomely chiseled arms, they’re ugly Giants. Giants who like to smash things.

That’s where you come in. You’re a mercenary on the front lines, and once you choose your sex, job class, and how cute you are (by way of hair style/color, skin color and voice type), you’re ready to drop in on Fort Farthest like a bat out of hell. And don’t worry, you’re only restricted to your default job class for a short time — you’ll soon be able to go from hacking and slashing as a Sword Warrior to creating miniature explosions as a Mage with a mere wardrobe change. And even that won’t be a limitation soon enough, because I’m sure some of you would prefer to be dressed like you just walked out of a western while whacking things upside the head as a Hammersmith, right?

There are myriad lands with different environmental themes to discover in the Sundered Land, each with their own badass brand of monsters and Giants waiting to put their jaws (or slime — actually, that sounds kind of wrong, just go back to jaws) around your pretty little head. Accompanying these landscapes is a combat system that’s fast-paced and all-over-the-screen in the best kinds of ways. Battle your enemies using an arsenal of weapons at your disposal depending on your class, building what the title calls “tension” — the more tension you build, the more powerful, flashier and just all-around more awesome your specialized attacks will be. Thrust your enemies into the air, leaving them defenseless to your blows, or use the knockback ability to drive them clear off the screen.

What else does this game have? Well, there’s certainly more. Way more than I could possibly explain in one blog entry. But for now, I’ll leave you with one more fun fact: remember the beloved Porings in Ragnarok Online? They’re back. And you can wear them. On your head. So now that that little gem’s been unveiled, be patient girls and boys and we’ll talk again soon, okay?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...gnarok-odyssey/comment-page-1/#comment-742607
The online patch will indeed already be in the game right from the very start! Hooraaaay.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...gnarok-odyssey/comment-page-1/#comment-742534
Thanks! As of right now we haven’t announced a release date yet, so any release dates you see are placeholders made by retailers. We’ll let you know when we have one!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...gnarok-odyssey/comment-page-1/#comment-742613
Thank you! It’s definitely action-y, if that’s what you’re looking for. Very, veeeery action-y. And since you like demos, you’ll be happy to know we’ll have a demo for Ragnarok Odyssey! It might be coming out shortly after the game’s release, but we’re still ironing out the details there. We hope you enjoy it!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...gnarok-odyssey/comment-page-1/#comment-742627
Awesome, thank you for the support! What’s free DLC in the Japanese version will be free in the North American version, and what’s paid DLC in the Japanese version will be paid in the North American version.

As AAA titles are announced and release dates are confirmed, I'd imagine they are trying to align their games with the best possible release date/window.

The Mercenary Edition has been announced:
XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, today announced that they will be offering a premium version of the action RPG title, Ragnarok Odyssey, called the ‘Mercenary Edition’ when it releases this October on the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system in North America. In addition to the standard game, the ‘Mercenary Edition’ will include a soundtrack CD, a ‘Mercenary Guide’ showcasing artwork and winning strategies in Rune Midgard, and a pack of ‘Monster Cards’ containing 10 random trading cards from the over 50 available in-game, at an MSRP of $49.99. The standalone game will have a suggested retail price of $39.99.

Developed by Grandia and Lunar series veteran studio Game Arts, Ragnarok Odyssey is a new title set in the popular Ragnarok Online universe. Players will enter a spiritual world where battle is being waged between humans and giants after the fall of the gods had previously separated the two races. After creating a character from over 20,000 possible combinations based on customizable physical features, players are given the choice of one of six specialized job classes before entering the open world and beginning their adventure.

Ragnarok Odyssey puts the focus on real-time, action-based combat – characters can chain together massive combo attacks both on the ground and in the air thanks to the game’s extremely versatile combat system. Massive enemies can literally be smacked across the screen, and players can even increase their speed and agility at the expense of HP for particularly challenging battles. The game promotes cooperative gameplay, supporting up to four players for ad-hoc and online coop.

Ragnarok Odyssey was developed by Game Arts and GungHo Online Entertainment in Japan, exclusively for the PS Vita system. The game will be published by XSEED Games in North America and released in October 2012. Look for more information in the coming weeks.

The release date has been announced:
XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, announced today that the action RPG, Ragnarok Odyssey, will ship on October 30th exclusively for the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system in North America. Developed by veteran studio Game Arts, Ragnarok Odyssey brings the compelling Ragnarok Online universe to a handheld platform while adding action elements, allowing players to battle on the go. The game will be available in a standard edition with a suggested retail price of $39.99, as well as a deluxe ‘Mercenary Edition’ with extras including a randomized pack of 10 Monster Cards from the over 50 available in-game, a soundtrack CD containing 32 songs, and a 96-page full color ‘Mercenary Guide’ featuring a collection of art, quests, maps, and boss strategies, for an MSRP of $49.99. It will also be available for purchase as a digital download from the PlayStation®Network for $39.99.

Set in the popular Ragnarok Online universe, Ragnarok Odyssey is a new handheld title created exclusively for the PS®Vita. Players will enter a mythical world where humans and giants battle for supremacy after the fall of the gods. After creating a character from over 20,000 possible combinations based on customizable physical features, players are given the choice of one of six specialized job classes before entering the open world where a healthy dose of real-time, action-based combat awaits. Characters can chain together devastating combo attacks both on the ground and in the air thanks to the game’s extremely versatile combat system. Massive enemies can literally be smacked across the screen, and players can even increase their speed and agility at the expense of HP for particularly challenging battles. The game also promotes cooperative gameplay, supporting up to four players for ad-hoc and online coop.

Ragnarok Odyssey was developed by Game Arts, creators of the Grandia and Lunar series, together with GungHo Online Entertainment in Japan. GungHo Online Entertainment America will publish Ragnarok Odyssey in Europe later this year. For more information, visit the newly launched product website at www.ragnarokodysseyvita.com

I preordered the 'Mercenary Edition' through Newegg a couple weeks ago and used that $12 off code I received through email. Couldn't beat that deal, can't wait for this title!

still waiting for news for a EU release date.. I hope its this year. I know it says end of the year but that is not a date.

Only a few reviews are up. Destructoid says its gaming perfection and a new standard for what a Vita game should be. IGN days its an ugly, repetitious waste of time and an insult to the genre.

[quote name='johnnypark']Only a few reviews are up. Destructoid says its gaming perfection and a new standard for what a Vita game should be. IGN days its an ugly, repetitious waste of time and an insult to the genre.[/QUOTE]

The "reviewer" at IGN didn't even finish the game and is the very reason I have removed that site from my bookmarks.

Why there are always some ppl claiming this game as Monster Hunter clone? Only one MH clone I know is chinese rip-off Hunter Blade.

I'm enjoying the game so far but have only been sticking with the single player for now. Need to try some multiplayer for a change.

Game seems a bit on the easy side at least through the first chapter. Been running the multiplayer maps as single player without having any issues at all.

I would assume it gets more difficult in the later chapters.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I'm enjoying the game so far but have only been sticking with the single player for now. Need to try some multiplayer for a change.

Game seems a bit on the easy side at least through the first chapter. Been running the multiplayer maps as single player without having any issues at all.

I would assume it gets more difficult in the later chapters.[/QUOTE]

I heard you almost need multiplayer for some maps.

[quote name='johnnypark']Only a few reviews are up. Destructoid says its gaming perfection and a new standard for what a Vita game should be. IGN days its an ugly, repetitious waste of time and an insult to the genre.[/QUOTE]

the cart art is ugly maybe that is what he was looking at :)

its an okay game (20 bucks be nice) 40 is way overpriced for something like this (but maybe it will grow on me)

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm bored with this. I played through chapter 1 and I feel that the item customization isn't as deep as it needs to be to carry this game. I really enjoy games like Dynasty Warriors so I just can't figure out why this isn't doing it for me.

Look at the top Amazon user reviews, it's warding me off this game too. I'm actually surprised at the IGN recorder's incomplete playrthrough.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Maybe I'm missing something but I'm bored with this. I played through chapter 1 and I feel that the item customization isn't as deep as it needs to be to carry this game. I really enjoy games like Dynasty Warriors so I just can't figure out why this isn't doing it for me.[/QUOTE]

i got the game via gamefly last monday nov 5 and been playing it nonstop up to Chapter 5-9 where the game is so freaking hard its freaking nuts ..

with no level up now your forced to go back and replay other maps in hope for item drops to power up your weapons up to LEVEL 10 to force them into a card that you can equip or hope that something good pops up in the card shop

the game is good but with a level up it would of been great ...

i probally played it 18 hours so far and just 50% and its going to take major grinding for drops even to get done with chapter 5 ( 9 chapters total and then you unlock an insane 10 chapter (i think 30 missions what are VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY HARD)

nice thing is i just did something

i had it rented via gamestop and they had a KEEP IT FOR 29 and some change .... had a 5 buck gift card what knocked it to 24 + tax what pushed it to 26.... as soon as i ordered it a POP UP Came up says you get FREE MAGAZINES prepaid for the first year

Grabbed entertainment weekly and sports ILL i used a Credit card that expires May 2013 so cant be recharged and if they do attempt to recharge it next year i just dispute

was going to buy entertainment weekly anyways for 25 so it was like buying this game for like 5 bucks

I am really enjoying this game also...you will need to play multiplayer to get through some of the boss fights...i was stuck on the orc king and was pretty frustrated playing single player but tried multi and got a lot of help.

[quote name='Ballery5']I am really enjoying this game also...you will need to play multiplayer to get through some of the boss fights...i was stuck on the orc king and was pretty frustrated playing single player but tried multi and got a lot of help.[/QUOTE]

what level was that.. i know the extra missions are going to be a major pain in the ass to try to solo them...t he 2nd extra mission unlockes on chapter 4

its 2 orc kings or something and one keeps calling little orcs that fuck you over

but up to STAGE 5-9 i had no problem in solo play... now to grind to try to get the cards you need to advance

but since i now paid for it this game is going to the back burner for awhile cause next up to play is

Ragnarok tactics for the psp ( a game i love to find black friday for 19.99 or less)

[quote name='Ballery5']The one with the orc hero and orc king is pretty tough and 5-9 where you fight Grendel is also pretty tough solo.[/QUOTE]

yea im stuck on 5-9 and will be stuck for awhile as this game goes to the back burner... fun game to pick up and play when your bored

you should not have any problems solo up to 5-9 and extra mission 2....

when you get there if your still solo have fun grinding the hell out of the game until you find the parts you need to turn weapons into cards or get lucky in the card shop

So I've managed to solo all the way up to 8-5 and I have to say...this game sucks. I'll probably finish it out, but I have yet to see anything that says this game is worth more than $10. I'm regally bummed since I wanted an awesome RPG. At least P4G comes tomorrow.

My main complaint with the game is that there are really only about 15 different enemies. And once you get to about chapter 5, the quests are just refighting previous bosses.

Demo is out. Glad I played it, it wasn't really my thing. The lack of real experience and level gaining for your character makes it less interesting to me, and within 5 minutes it felt like a button masher. There is obviously depth to the combat as you get new cards and weapons, but after 20 minutes with the demo I feel like I had had enough.

up to 7-1

after 5-9 nothing has given me any Major problems SOLO (6-10 sucked but that is cause you got to jump up and fly around breaking the shoulders and then the back of the head ) if you can lock onto those 3 parts the battle is very easy.

Once you Reach CHAPTER 7-1 12 more BONUS BATTLES UNLOCKED each are 8 stars and your going to need MASSIVE Cards to solo any of these maps

i would say the game is easy worth 20 bucks cause you will get at least 20 to 30 hours out of it EASY..

30 bucks would be pushing it

40 is way too high

i know i paid 30 for it and i can say i enjoyed it.. been playing it around a month now about 1 to 2 hours a night and probally have 40+ hours into the game and just got to LEVEL 7-1

i think it goes to LEVEL 9-10 then you have like 50 extra maps after the main game

its a good time killer but if it had level ups it would of been great but then again if there was LEVEL UPS and CARD UP the game would of been very easy and people would of bitched about that

HEADS UP

Mercenary Edition is not worth the extra cash if you ask me... I got this game for 30 off gamefly and then got the Mercenary Edition off amazon for 35 (sold off the game for 30 and sold off the cards for 10) so mostly got the ME for 25

what you get in the Mercenary Edition

Extra cardboard box (worthless)
soundtrack what is sort of nice
10 Playing cards (worthless but sold for 15 shipped on ebay got around 10 after ebay and shipping)
the guild book is a joke and is worthless it does not list a single monsters drops (go to gamefaqs)

you may be able to sell off the extras to make the basic ed cheaper

bread's done
Back