- - - - -

CAG Fitbit Group - Walk This Way!

#31 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

I thought about picking this up but some of the reviews made it seem like it doesn't last long and with in 3 months or so I will end up getting a new one because it is falling apart and no longer connects to the charger. Anyone having that issue?

#32 bsesb2003   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

bsesb2003

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

Ok, I'm in but 10,000 steps a day seems a lot.

#33 caltab   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I tried when I first got mine, and I had the same issues. On the fitbit forums, I found that most people suggest you use the webpage and log the Activity with the start time, your distance and duration and it will correctly convert it to steps and sync back to the fitbit. I use mapmyrun.com , and a stop watch to check my pace.
You might be happier with one of the gps running watches like Garmin, or maybe one of the the Nike plus systems.

I have a Polaris I got a few years ago when I first started running. It works great and is very accurate, but I was hoping for something I could wear all the time. (the polaris has a chest strap for heart rate and isn't meant for anything but running) I've given up on getting the fitbit to recognize me running. It is pretty accurate with steps at least, I'd say within 2-3 percent. Nonetheless, I am pretty disappointed with it. I don't want to have to log my entries manually(I was already doing that on myfitnesspal and don't need a fitbit to do that). The fitbit is OK for a casual user, but I would not recommend it for a runner or cyclist. I've looked info the fuelband and that doesn't seem very good either for an active person because it doesn't even have the ability to separately track an activity. The jawbone up, which I had, is actually the most promising If they can fix it so it doesn't break within a weak. I would really like something I can wear all the time, I don't think it exists yet for an active user. Hopefully it i will be coming soon.

#34 otter   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

I have a Polaris I got a few years ago when I first started running. It works great and is very accurate, but I was hoping for something I could wear all the time. (the polaris has a chest strap for heart rate and isn't meant for anything but running) I've given up on getting the fitbit to recognize me running. It is pretty accurate with steps at least, I'd say within 2-3 percent. Nonetheless, I am pretty disappointed with it. I don't want to have to log my entries manually(I was already doing that on myfitnesspal and don't need a fitbit to do that). The fitbit is OK for a casual user, but I would not recommend it for a runner or cyclist. I've looked info the fuelband and that doesn't seem very good either for an active person because it doesn't even have the ability to separately track an activity. The jawbone up, which I had, is actually the most promising If they can fix it so it doesn't break within a weak. I would really like something I can wear all the time, I don't think it exists yet for an active user. Hopefully it i will be coming soon.

I agree with you the fitbit is more of a motivational device for people that are trying it get more active, and I think for what it is it does a pretty good job. I'm personally hoping for something like the Garmin 910xt but cheaper, smaller, with a much longer battery life and a auto sync that doesn't require a pc.

Edited by otter, 28 May 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#35 Padrino   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Just picked it up. I've always wanted a digital pedometer. This one is pretty cool. I did some tests, it seems to be pretty accurate. It counts a the start/stop as an extra step but in general it seems spot on. I am interested what my average is. I plan on doing some more walking to bring up my numbers from too low :)

Also joined the CAG Homies group. Nice to have a group to compare with. Gives some motivation to be more active.

CheapyD, Thanks for recommending this cool gadget.

#36 doctorfaustus   Booknerd CAGiversary!   2029 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

doctorfaustus

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Picked one up. Let's see how this goes.

#37 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2252 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Just purchased one (using Cheapy's link) after selling my Nike fuelband . I'll be interested to see the differences in the two.

#38 mrgstiffler   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   38 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

mrgstiffler

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I am a new Fitbitch. Just set mine up and joined. I haven't even used it yet, but it says that I've burned 1240 calories. How do I reset that?

#39 bobo2k4   OooSplendiforous CAGiversary!   3195 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

I am a new Fitbitch. Just set mine up and joined. I haven't even used it yet, but it says that I've burned 1240 calories. How do I reset that?

It resets everyday at midnight.

#40 redrum662   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   50 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

redrum662

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Hearing about this group on the CAG cast put me over into the buy territory. Fit bit really should sponsor the cast.

#41 caltab   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

My rocky relationship with my fitbit ended tragically yesterday- I lost it while jogging on the beach, it's probably in the ocean. I was really starting to like it too, it was rewarding the past couple days having 20k plus steps a day. I have read that they will replace it free of charge 1 time, so I've tried contacting customer service, we will see how that goes. I feel kind of naked without it and I've been on vacation the past several days so I haven't synced it and am bummed that I lost I'll that data-I was having monstrous step days.

#42 Padrino   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I wonder.... If you put it in a plastic bag and throw it into the ocean, it would probably count the motion as steps and you would get mad step counts until the battery wore out. If you could then get it back it would be an interesting cheat :)

I worry about throwing mine in the wash because I don't like clipping it on and just put it in my pocket. We will see. Sorry to hear about you loosing yours. Maybe they will replace it. That is one negative to them being so small. But small is what you want for a pedometer.

I just got a 13K step day and that was 2 long walks. I don't know how people are averaging so high. They must walk all day. I walked for > 3 hours to get 13k. Some people are getting that all the time. They must be wearing it while working-out or something. I will try that next time I play tennis and see what the result it. Tennis is a lot of "steps".

My rocky relationship with my fitbit ended tragically yesterday- I lost it while jogging on the beach, it's probably in the ocean. I was really starting to like it too, it was rewarding the past couple days having 20k plus steps a day. I have read that they will replace it free of charge 1 time, so I've tried contacting customer service, we will see how that goes. I feel kind of naked without it and I've been on vacation the past several days so I haven't synced it and am bummed that I lost I'll that data-I was having monstrous step days.

#43 caltab   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

They actually got back to me today, a Sunday, and said they are replacing it free of charge.
Great customer service and I'm glad to be getting a new one, still sort of bummed about my lost days that I didn't synce, they were huge- I think one was close to 30k steps.

#44 Tengaport   Cover your heart Indy! CAGiversary!   286 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Just joined the group.

#45 FeuerFrei   Kupo CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

I, too, joined the group also, as well. Also.

#46 TheAggroCraig   Hummus! CAGiversary!   1434 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

TheAggroCraig

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

Picked up a Fitbit tonight, damn you Cheapy and your awesome sales techniques!

Also joined the group, looking forward to being close to the bottom of the list!

#47 cassidyarch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

cassidyarch

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've had a FitBit since December. Was catching up on old podcasts and found out there was a FitBit group here. Count me in.

Side note: I've had two FitBits replaced--TWO--by going through customer service. They seem to be really hardcore about pleasing customers right now. One was replaced after I LOST it. I even told them, "I lost my Fitbit, how much for just the replacement unit?" They sent me a new one. That one was faulty out of the box, so they replaced it.

So if you have any trouble, hit that customer service site, they will send you a whole new box. (at least, they were back in February.)

#48 RFWarrior   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

RFWarrior

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Just got my fitbit about 10 days back. It works flawlessly. Thanks for turning me on to it guys and keep up the awesome podcast.

#49 Medium_Pimpin   Dead broke, but Hood Rich CAGiversary!   1460 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Medium_Pimpin

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:22 AM

Been trying to snipe one of these on amazon when they go on sale for $85, but I was in best buy today and they were on sale for $90 so I picked it up(I pay tax on amazon anyways). My health is just too important to wait any longer for a sale.

Look for me on the leaderboards: EnderWiggum

#50 Crumbol   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   17 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Just got one for father's day and joined the group. Thanks for the recommendation.

#51 skadave   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   209 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

How do you change your profile on Fitbit? it has become a frustrating endeavor. . . i hate shit like this.

#52 skadave   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   209 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Holy crap . . . this fitbit thing makes me want to punch something. I HATE WHEN THINGS DON'T WORK LIKE THEY SHOULD!!!

#53 Popnmusic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   331 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

I've had my fitbit since the beginning of January (approx 16-18k steps a day) and its already showing cracks on the black plastic near the loop. I've never once dropped or smack it against something hard. Just curious if anyone else is having a wear and tear issue with the product.

#54 spdiscus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   17 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

spdiscus

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've had my fitbit since the beginning of January (approx 16-18k steps a day) and its already showing cracks on the black plastic near the loop. I've never once dropped or smack it against something hard. Just curious if anyone else is having a wear and tear issue with the product.

Have you tried using the cradle belt loop? Your current belt or waistband may just be a bit too thick of you are only using the fitbit.

#55 cassidyarch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

cassidyarch

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

Just ran five miles. Looking at a full Yoshi's Island-style flower right now. Awww yeah.

#56 GOTA   I'm.... CAGiversary!   196 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

How do you change your profile on Fitbit? it has become a frustrating endeavor. . . i hate shit like this.

Go to your profile. View it as you, there is a drop down box for you, friends, anyone. You will then get an option to change your picture.

It was a pain is the ass to figure out but now it's done.

#57 scragman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   15 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

scragman

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Got my fitbit last night and joined the group this morning. Time to move!

#58 caltab   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Target is clearancing out the mytrek heart rate monitor. It msrp's for 99 and can be bound at alot of targets for 30 bucks. For anyone who excercises its pretty cool. It works with your iphone. I like it because unlike other monitors, you strap it on your forearm instead of your chest, which is much more comfortable. The reason why I mention it in this thread is that data from fitbit and mytrek can be synced with each other. A lot of the reviews for it mention a high failure rate, but I've had it for a weak and its pretty cool as long as it doesn't break. It's probably not the most accurate high quality monitor around, but if you can find it for 30 bucks its worth a try.

#59 Predator Ranger   Admiral Awesome CAGiversary!   2697 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Predator Ranger

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Just setup my Fitbit. It's going to be pretty pathetic the next couple of days (13 hour shifts at work), but after that, I'll hopefully get my ass moving!

#60 namepl   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   85 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

I've owned the tracker for all of 18 hours or so and already lost it during my commute. I just contacted customer service to see if they can help out.
Any advice for keeping this thing from magically flying off my body?

And has anyone tried the sleep tracking function? I tried it out before losing it, and it added a lot of steps and calories burned to my daily total. I think that's throwing off my daily tracking.