Join the CAG Fitbit Group on Fitbit.com

What is fitbit?

Fitbit at Amazon
iconamazon.gif
Fitbit Wireless Activity/Sleep Tracker
iconamazon.gif
Fitbit WiFi Scale

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife had one and I decided to bite the bullet and get one for myself. I have joined the CAG group. Motivate me.

I've bought the Wi-Fi Scale and that's a lot of fun. I love keeping track of my weight loss online. I'm still on the fence about buying the FitBit though... I don't know if I'd walk 70,000 steps a week and I feel like that might depress me.

I joined! Ive had my fitbit for a month now, and it already has made me think about everything i eat. Lets hope it works. Cheers, to making our goals :)

Just ordered one! If I like it enough I'll get one for my sister for her birthday. Perfect time since the weather is finally getting a bit better around here.

Joined the group. I got a jawbone up back when they were giving them away for free around Xmas, I liked it but it broke after a weak. Decided to try out a fitbit. It was between that and the nike fuel band- people seem to prefer the fitbit. These devices arent as accurate as a heart rate monitor watch, but they are less of a pain to deal with(heart rate monitors require a chest strap)

If you like tracking food calories I'd recommend myfitnesspal.com to compliment your fitbit. its way better than fitbits website and can actually be linked with your fitbit. It's a free site/app.

edit: I used it on my treadmill and it was way off (by 20 percent). But, you can calibrate your walking and running stride under your profile. This website is really good for figuring out your stride:

http://www.tech4o.com/detail.aspx?id=181

You count how many steps you do in a known distance and enter it in and it will tell you your distance. After making the adjustment I tried it again and it was way more accurate.

I joined the group! Finally found this thread, I am not doing very well compared to others. I am thinking about getting the wireless scale soon.

Just joined. Really curious about seeing number about my daily...movement i guess...Gained 20 pounds over the last year since getting a desk job, so not much activity for most the day

I have been using the fitbit for the last month and a half and have already lost 7 lbs. I seem to be more aware of my movement throughout the day. Also started the Couch to 5k program that gets people from being a couch potato to running a 5k in 9 weeks. Already at week 6 and can see a drastic improvement.

[quote name='stormrage360']Has anyone started a CAG group on Fitbit.com?[/QUOTE]

The one in the OP is the Cag group.

I am failing hard on this thing. I had no idea I needed to dl the program on the site and I just thought the USB wasn't syncing right. I lost a good 2 days of work on it and the fitbit just reset back to Zero after I got the program installed. =(

I'm going to have to find some activities to do now that summer is here. No more work at the school so I'm not walking near what I do on a daily basis.

Biggest problem where I live is no damn sidewalks. I mean who the hell builds a city without sidewalks.

[quote name='lilytrabbit']

Biggest problem where I live is no damn sidewalks. I mean who the hell builds a city without sidewalks.[/QUOTE]

The south

Does anyone use this to jog- I've had it for a week and have found it to be terribly inaccurate when it comes to distance. It counts steps within a reasonable margin of error, but the distance is way way off. I tried calibrating my stride and thought I fixed it, but its still inaccurate. The problem seems to be that it cannot tell the difference between me jogging and walking(which its supposed to do). It always just thinks I am walking, even if I sprint. It says my pace is absurdly slow. My jogs are short by over 30 percent. Pretty disappointing and will probably return it.

Well I finally bit the bullet and picked one of these up (anything but cheap considering this is CAG lol), joined the group, and now letting it charge. I'll be testing it out right after that!

$14 off today on Amazon, so I ordered and joined the group. Here's to bringing down the average (when my shipment gets here).

I just joined the CAG FitBit group as well, I hope it helps me stay motivated over the summer! Look me up under Ken :)

Does anyone have any specific exercise routines? I usually run for 30-40 minutes a day

[quote name='caltab']Does anyone use this to jog- I've had it for a week and have found it to be terribly inaccurate when it comes to distance. It counts steps within a reasonable margin of error, but the distance is way way off. I tried calibrating my stride and thought I fixed it, but its still inaccurate. The problem seems to be that it cannot tell the difference between me jogging and walking(which its supposed to do). It always just thinks I am walking, even if I sprint. It says my pace is absurdly slow. My jogs are short by over 30 percent. Pretty disappointing and will probably return it.[/QUOTE]

I tried when I first got mine, and I had the same issues. On the fitbit forums, I found that most people suggest you use the webpage and log the Activity with the start time, your distance and duration and it will correctly convert it to steps and sync back to the fitbit. I use mapmyrun.com , and a stop watch to check my pace.
You might be happier with one of the gps running watches like Garmin, or maybe one of the the Nike plus systems.

Just bought one for me and my wife yesterday from Best Buy. Got the warranty for these since I'm exactly the kind of person to wash this accidently. Also going the fitbit group. Looking forward to keeping up with the group!

[quote name='caltab']Does anyone use this to jog- I've had it for a week and have found it to be terribly inaccurate when it comes to distance. It counts steps within a reasonable margin of error, but the distance is way way off. I tried calibrating my stride and thought I fixed it, but its still inaccurate. The problem seems to be that it cannot tell the difference between me jogging and walking(which its supposed to do). It always just thinks I am walking, even if I sprint. It says my pace is absurdly slow. My jogs are short by over 30 percent. Pretty disappointing and will probably return it.[/QUOTE]

This is disappointing since I do a lot of running but I'd like something that tracks my progress.

What about running and jumping in place (like if I'm doing P90X or Insanity)? Can it keep track of that? I'm looking for something to motivate me even more and the game-like characteristics of this seem kind of neat...

I thought about picking this up but some of the reviews made it seem like it doesn't last long and with in 3 months or so I will end up getting a new one because it is falling apart and no longer connects to the charger. Anyone having that issue?

[quote name='otter']I tried when I first got mine, and I had the same issues. On the fitbit forums, I found that most people suggest you use the webpage and log the Activity with the start time, your distance and duration and it will correctly convert it to steps and sync back to the fitbit. I use mapmyrun.com , and a stop watch to check my pace.
You might be happier with one of the gps running watches like Garmin, or maybe one of the the Nike plus systems.[/QUOTE]

I have a Polaris I got a few years ago when I first started running. It works great and is very accurate, but I was hoping for something I could wear all the time. (the polaris has a chest strap for heart rate and isn't meant for anything but running) I've given up on getting the fitbit to recognize me running. It is pretty accurate with steps at least, I'd say within 2-3 percent. Nonetheless, I am pretty disappointed with it. I don't want to have to log my entries manually(I was already doing that on myfitnesspal and don't need a fitbit to do that). The fitbit is OK for a casual user, but I would not recommend it for a runner or cyclist. I've looked info the fuelband and that doesn't seem very good either for an active person because it doesn't even have the ability to separately track an activity. The jawbone up, which I had, is actually the most promising If they can fix it so it doesn't break within a weak. I would really like something I can wear all the time, I don't think it exists yet for an active user. Hopefully it i will be coming soon.

[quote name='caltab']I have a Polaris I got a few years ago when I first started running. It works great and is very accurate, but I was hoping for something I could wear all the time. (the polaris has a chest strap for heart rate and isn't meant for anything but running) I've given up on getting the fitbit to recognize me running. It is pretty accurate with steps at least, I'd say within 2-3 percent. Nonetheless, I am pretty disappointed with it. I don't want to have to log my entries manually(I was already doing that on myfitnesspal and don't need a fitbit to do that). The fitbit is OK for a casual user, but I would not recommend it for a runner or cyclist. I've looked info the fuelband and that doesn't seem very good either for an active person because it doesn't even have the ability to separately track an activity. The jawbone up, which I had, is actually the most promising If they can fix it so it doesn't break within a weak. I would really like something I can wear all the time, I don't think it exists yet for an active user. Hopefully it i will be coming soon.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you the fitbit is more of a motivational device for people that are trying it get more active, and I think for what it is it does a pretty good job. I'm personally hoping for something like the Garmin 910xt but cheaper, smaller, with a much longer battery life and a auto sync that doesn't require a pc.

Just picked it up. I've always wanted a digital pedometer. This one is pretty cool. I did some tests, it seems to be pretty accurate. It counts a the start/stop as an extra step but in general it seems spot on. I am interested what my average is. I plan on doing some more walking to bring up my numbers from too low :)

Also joined the CAG Homies group. Nice to have a group to compare with. Gives some motivation to be more active.

CheapyD, Thanks for recommending this cool gadget.

Just purchased one (using Cheapy's link) after selling my Nike fuelband . I'll be interested to see the differences in the two.

I am a new Fitbitch. Just set mine up and joined. I haven't even used it yet, but it says that I've burned 1240 calories. How do I reset that?

[quote name='mrgstiffler']I am a new Fitbitch. Just set mine up and joined. I haven't even used it yet, but it says that I've burned 1240 calories. How do I reset that?[/QUOTE]

It resets everyday at midnight.

Hearing about this group on the CAG cast put me over into the buy territory. Fit bit really should sponsor the cast.

My rocky relationship with my fitbit ended tragically yesterday- I lost it while jogging on the beach, it's probably in the ocean. I was really starting to like it too, it was rewarding the past couple days having 20k plus steps a day. I have read that they will replace it free of charge 1 time, so I've tried contacting customer service, we will see how that goes. I feel kind of naked without it and I've been on vacation the past several days so I haven't synced it and am bummed that I lost I'll that data-I was having monstrous step days.

I wonder.... If you put it in a plastic bag and throw it into the ocean, it would probably count the motion as steps and you would get mad step counts until the battery wore out. If you could then get it back it would be an interesting cheat :)

I worry about throwing mine in the wash because I don't like clipping it on and just put it in my pocket. We will see. Sorry to hear about you loosing yours. Maybe they will replace it. That is one negative to them being so small. But small is what you want for a pedometer.

I just got a 13K step day and that was 2 long walks. I don't know how people are averaging so high. They must walk all day. I walked for > 3 hours to get 13k. Some people are getting that all the time. They must be wearing it while working-out or something. I will try that next time I play tennis and see what the result it. Tennis is a lot of "steps".

[quote name='caltab']My rocky relationship with my fitbit ended tragically yesterday- I lost it while jogging on the beach, it's probably in the ocean. I was really starting to like it too, it was rewarding the past couple days having 20k plus steps a day. I have read that they will replace it free of charge 1 time, so I've tried contacting customer service, we will see how that goes. I feel kind of naked without it and I've been on vacation the past several days so I haven't synced it and am bummed that I lost I'll that data-I was having monstrous step days.[/QUOTE]

They actually got back to me today, a Sunday, and said they are replacing it free of charge.
Great customer service and I'm glad to be getting a new one, still sort of bummed about my lost days that I didn't synce, they were huge- I think one was close to 30k steps.

Picked up a Fitbit tonight, damn you Cheapy and your awesome sales techniques!

Also joined the group, looking forward to being close to the bottom of the list!

I've had a FitBit since December. Was catching up on old podcasts and found out there was a FitBit group here. Count me in.

Side note: I've had two FitBits replaced--TWO--by going through customer service. They seem to be really hardcore about pleasing customers right now. One was replaced after I LOST it. I even told them, "I lost my Fitbit, how much for just the replacement unit?" They sent me a new one. That one was faulty out of the box, so they replaced it.

So if you have any trouble, hit that customer service site, they will send you a whole new box. (at least, they were back in February.)

Just got my fitbit about 10 days back. It works flawlessly. Thanks for turning me on to it guys and keep up the awesome podcast.

Been trying to snipe one of these on amazon when they go on sale for $85, but I was in best buy today and they were on sale for $90 so I picked it up(I pay tax on amazon anyways). My health is just too important to wait any longer for a sale.

Look for me on the leaderboards: EnderWiggum

bread's done
Back