CAGcast #282: Lickmynauts, Fitbitches!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]E3 plans are being finalized, Shipwreck and Cheapy need a hand with Datura, and Wombat may or may not rock out.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]191[/podcast]
Download - 78 minutes, 47MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

GoDaddy
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Eple - Røyksopp / This is Serious PSA

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked a really good time to check the CAGcast forum, I haven't looked at it in years. Thanks for the CAGcast as always, can't wait for the hard hitting e3 coverage this year. haha

Bout dam time! I was about to listen to another podcast..... And th came the CAGCAST.

Wait a minute...that's last weeks podcast playing via the. Download link.

Avengers is sooooo good. Cheapy needs to see it during his E3 trip!

also, Datura: Stroking trees and groping statue breasts simulator

Most random outro evar XD

Did anyone else find it kind of ironic that all 3 of the guys blew off Minecraft, but in the same podcast Wombat mentioned that his daughter liked Lincoln logs? Wombat, if she does enjoy playing with toys like that, I am willing to bet she'd enjoy this game, or even just have fun watching you play for a while.

Well, Wombat didn't necessarily blow it off, but I was definitely surprised at Shipwreck's reaction.

I will be the first to admit this game isn't for everyone, but even in my Minecraft "noobness" I have to say, it is fun just to explore and learn how to make all the different items in the game.

Cheapy, I hope I get to play Tribes with you someday, though I will very likely suck.

Thanks for another fun podcast.

Cheapy,

Have you seen the Bodymedia Fit?

it's much more accurate compared to the Fitbit.

I have one, but I stopped using it. I would sell it real cheap if anyone is interested.

Here is a link: http://www.bodymedia.com/

Supposedly 90% accurate.

What is the name of the opening song this week? I've heard the song years ago and wanted to track it down, but Google isn't so kind to attempts to search for "do do do doo, do do do" for songs without lyrics.

I seem to remember it being a Royksopp song, maybe...?

Great show overall! Good variety of game coverage.

I definitely recommend Awesomenauts. Balancing issues aside, it is a great game to play split screen co-op. My wife absolutely loves this game. It’s a great blend of tower defense and side scrolling shooter. Cheapy, give it a shot with Mrs. Cheapy., hell or Tai, or both. (It's FREE for PSN+ members)

I feel bad for Cheapy and Wombat for not experiencing the fun of a drive-in. The sound may suck, but it’s more about the overall experience. It’s kinda like camping mixed with going to the movies. Can’t beat the price, either. I feel very fortunate living in one of the few places with a drive-in.

Gran Turismo is one of the best selling game for Sony going in a history of sales (#1 PS1 #3 PS3 and #3 PS2 and is #9 on PSP) so It is a game that's really needed to be on the Vita library.

The fact that MK is so damn impressive on the Vita makes the system even sadder, it really needs some damn big announcements at E3 outside of a massive price drop.

Edit: I think Gran Turismo will outsell Call of Duty in the US *IF* It's similiar to the DS/Handheld versions released prior. However, if it's anything like COD on the consoles then COD will outsell it by quite a bit.

Show Notes
1:00 Welcome to middle agedness, Wombat
2:45 Fitbit
Thug life stuff
24:00 Feedback
28:45 New Releases
28:45 Minecraft
33:15 Starhawk
34:30 Datura (sp?)
40:30 NPDs
42:30 Bioshock Infinite delay
44:30 Spec Ops: The Line
45:45 Dirt: Showdown
46:15 Outernauts
48:00 Mortal Kombat Vita
55:30 Playstation All-Stars
57:45 Fable Heroes
59:00 Awesomenauts
60:00 Walking Dead
62:45 Hybrid beta
66:15 Inside Xbox, RIP
67:45 Halo Anniversary Edition
68:30 $99 Xbox360
70:00 Cagbag
70:00 Republique
72:00 North Carolina gay marriage
72:30 Gamestop tablet
73:45 Elder Scrolls MMO
74:30 E3 Eats

Best intro music in ages, btw

I'm shocked that you spent several minutes on Datura but have done absolutely nothing in it.

It's boring. Weird...but boring. The controls are god awful, but I think the Move is better than the Dual Shock, but even the Move is horrible. And the game itself is nothing more that a collection of mini-games for the most part. Just go from section to section and do something like throw a ball or crank a lever. Very boring gameplay hidden behind a trippy experience of choices that I don't know actually effects the game itself other than maybe some color changes in the leaves.

Just give up now while you're ahead guys. Wasn't worth it from what I played.

[quote name='shipwreck']I washed my hands and felt a boob. I did something.[/QUOTE]

I finished the game and I'm telling you now, that is the highlight of the game.

Well, not entirely. You can wash your hand in a second place, but you have to keep going back to the boob to feel it.

The problem with that is, I can both wash my hands and feel a boob without having to pay $10 to do it.

Awesomenauts is great. I played it at PAX East and even better, got it free from PSN. It is the same game genre as DOTA, Monday Night Combat, League of Legends only it is 2D and 80's cartoon themed. Even the trophies/achievements are references to 80's cartoons. Froggy G is the pimp, I love his theme song.

Great show btw.

I use my 3DS the same way CheapyD uses his Fitbit. Whenever I go to a comic convention, I have StreetPass on and make sure to walk around everywhere multiple times to get many puzzle pieces. What sucks about the 3DS is that you have to check it frequently and let people in to the Mii Plaza to continue getting people.

I would like to hear more about what restaurants you guys go to, since I live in the LA area. I even went to the previous two CAG meetups.

I would not get a vita for Call of Duty or buy it if I had one. It wouldn't make a good portable experience. Also most CoD players play the 360 version I believe because of Microsoft's deal to get DLC first on 360 among other factors. Call of Duty on the vita would be like CoD on the Wii: nobody wants it unless they just own that system.

I really liked the walking dead game. Lee is interesting, and getting small insights to the comic universe I liked a lot. I'm a huge fan of both point and click games and walking dead so me liking it was pretty much a no brainer. I thought it had a lot of suspense and mystery to it and I look forward to the upcoming episodes.

The IGN app ads wouldn't bother me that much if the video content was longer than 2-4 minutes long. For that long have a little ad at the bottom or play it at the end.

Listening to Wombat struggle to describe Awesomenauts made me laugh. Anyone with even a passing familiarity with PC gaming would have just said "2D DoTA."

Cheapy, if only there was a thread on CAG that could tell you what came out on PSN this week.

You guys forgot about Overstrike, which is the game that Insomniac announced last E3 at EA's press conference. They're not giving up on console games by any means since this is the new game from their social games team that they started last year.

Way to cop out on reading my question, Wombat.

All this talk about the fitbit has made me seriously look into getting one. I'm on Amazon right now staring at it. What's the difference between the regular one and the ultra? I suppose I should just get the ultra since it's the same price.

I've also gone ahead and added Goon to my queue for when it comes out at the end of the month. I'll gladly take the recommendation of someone that liked Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and may not have liked Drive.

Oh, and go Devils.

Am I missing something on that rig of Cheapy's?

Where is the graphics card? I was just curious as to what he was ordering.

I bought a gaming PC last year and haven't played a PC game in nearly a decade (and only barely then in the Unreal Tournament days). But since I built mine, it has become my favorite gaming platform.

As long as you can learn to be patient with the occasional issues that crop up, you get games that look and play like next gen games at a fraction of the cost of their console counterparts. Plus tons of very cool indie games that you won't see anywhere else.

Currently I'm loving Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl and Skyrim (both with unbelievable graphics mods).

You gotta follow Cheapy on twitter or at least read his tweets on the front page.

He tried to buy a 690 on ebay but it fell thru, so now it sounds like he's just getting a single 680.

My little gamer and I also had success with Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, I strongly recommend any of the Lego games, particularly the Star Wars Complete Saga one. The drop-in/out co-op is great, part beat-em-up with light puzzles, tons of characters with different abilities (good for memorization/categorization, he's not interested in the movies but now knows more about the series' characters than I do). It was the first game he really was able to get into, at about 3 1/2 yo, I think the play hour count a few years later has pushed over 200!

(and Wombat.. Lickmynauts, I rewound several times and laughed out loud each time) Love the show guys..

[quote name='Curufinwe']You gotta follow Cheapy on twitter or at least read his tweets on the front page.

He tried to buy a 690 on ebay but it fell thru, so now it sounds like he's just getting a single 680.[/QUOTE]

Ah well the "tried and true" is usually way better than the "new hotness," especially for someone who doesn't want to deal with a lot troubleshooting.

But still the word "just a 680" made me laugh. That computer is like more powerful than 10 Xbox 360s. The 690 are just totally impractical luxury items. I doubt there is anything in the next five years that will really take advantage of that kind of card.

They seem so dismissive of it that I also kind of wonder what if anything could convince Wombat and Shipwreck that PC gaming is worth caring about.

Is it the cost or entry or the needed upkeep?

I never really played PC games my entire life until last year but since then I've really discovered what I've been missing. Not only do you get the graphical next generation today with high end releases, you also get a ton of cool indie and experimental games that would never be released on console.

Cost of entry, I admit, initially tough to swallow (but you don't have to go crazy like Cheapy apparently did). But by the time you add all the "hidden costs" of console games up--Xbox Live fees, more expensive games, etc--in the long term things balance out.

[quote name='hoofrog']Awesomenauts is great. I played it at PAX East and even better, got it free from PSN. It is the same game genre as DOTA, Monday Night Combat, League of Legends only it is 2D and 80's cartoon themed.[/QUOTE]Yeah, same genre as LoL and the like. The genre's name is MOBA, which is Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. I play LoL myself but I only heard of the genre's name recently, so it's not surprising the guys didn't know it.

I'm not a huge CoD player (spent a decent amount of time with Black Ops, but didn't bother getting MW3), but I would not be interested in a handheld CoD in the slightest. Although I haven't been able to try out a Vita, so maybe it wouldn't be horrible. But the thought of it is not appealing at all right now.

I'm not a CoD player, but I can't see why anyone would want to play it on a Vita. If you want to play CoD, it's going to be for the multiplayer, and for that you will need a wifi connection. Since the most like place for that will be at home, why wouldn't you just play it on a console or pc instead?

Great episode. Pretty awesome of Cheapy to get Wombat a FitBit. I kinda want one of those things. Looks really cool.

And Cheapy, if you want good death animations and blood spray, I think Max Payne 3 is your game.

I don't know that I found it ironic but I did think it kind of odd. The Minecraft community is unique, to be sure, but for Cheapy to associate it with 12 year olds was a bit off. There is a very robust community out there that enjoy minecraft quite a lot, mods created, videos made and people use it to make up their own stories instead of using a pre-written one. Certainly not for everyone, but not that easy to dismiss either.

[quote name='teknikalei']Did anyone else find it kind of ironic that all 3 of the guys blew off Minecraft, but in the same podcast Wombat mentioned that his daughter liked Lincoln logs? Wombat, if she does enjoy playing with toys like that, I am willing to bet she'd enjoy this game, or even just have fun watching you play for a while.

Well, Wombat didn't necessarily blow it off, but I was definitely surprised at Shipwreck's reaction.

I will be the first to admit this game isn't for everyone, but even in my Minecraft "noobness" I have to say, it is fun just to explore and learn how to make all the different items in the game.

Cheapy, I hope I get to play Tribes with you someday, though I will very likely suck.

Thanks for another fun podcast.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shipwreck']I washed my hands and felt a boob. I did something.[/QUOTE]
Something that many gamers don't do in real life, even.

Fitbit certainly sounded interesting, so I immediately went online and ordered Personal Trainer: Walking DS for $12 :) (Amazon is $16, found an eBay auction for $12, make sure you buy new)

Essentially the same level of fun for 1/8 the price, and comes with two pedo-meters.

I ordered a fitbit because of Cheapy's endorsement. It better not disappoint.

I liked this episode much more than the last one. Last show was just very mediocre. Keep it up, Guys!

[quote name='bickle']I'm not a CoD player, but I can't see why anyone would want to play it on a Vita. If you want to play CoD, it's going to be for the multiplayer, and for that you will need a wifi connection. Since the most like place for that will be at home, why wouldn't you just play it on a console or pc instead?[/QUOTE]
Because you don't have to tie up a TV or PC to play the game? You can take it around your house where you want to relax and enjoy it without having to be stuck in one place. The other potential bonus is a cheaper price tag. That's one of the most appealing aspects of handhelds for me, though I might be willing to check it out if they're bringing Black Ops 2 over since that has the most interesting single-player that I've seen since Call of Duty 4.

[quote name='GaTechGrad']It's sad that even the CAGcast is now pushing the left-wing agenda.[/QUOTE]

Did he insult Mt. Rushma?

bread's done
Back