Best way to upgrade hard drive?

Matt Young

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Due to PS+ stuff , I'm almost out of hard drive space and would like to upgrade. Would installing a new HDD in the system void my warranty? What's better- replacing the internal drive, or getting an external hard drive? I have read that I can use an external HDD. Would that expand the storage space available or replace the original HDD as the primary storage device?

lol Matt Young. I hope you enjoyed my erstwhile wrestling board.

It's easy to replace the internal HDD and it won't invalidate the warranty.

Whatever brand/model you go with, I'm going to recommend sticking with a 5400 rpm HDD instead of experimenting with a 7200 rpm one like I did with my last upgrade. The improved loading times are barely noticeable and the faster RPMs have been known to cause stuttering issues with certain games (Syndicate is at least one that I know of from personal experience) that can render them virtually unplayable.

I'd take it a step further and just Google the drive 'maker model PS3 HDD upgrade' as there are some odd anomalies out there with certain drives.

Here's the exact drive that I used and it's been flawless. (mine was $60 shipped but all HDD prices suck right now) Also NewEgg is a great resource even if you don't purchase the drive there as you can click on the feedback tab and type in 'PS3' to see if people have used the model specifically as a PS3 HDD upgrade.

If you have the luxury, you'll want to back-up everything that you can to an external drive and then load it back onto the new drive post-upgrade. If you don't mind re-downloading your games then just backup your saves to a USB stick and/or the cloud. (locked saves suck if you don't have Plus cloud storage)

I do have PS Plus for cloud storage. I was seriously considering an external drive from Amazon, but then I found out that I can only store stuff on there and can't play games/saves without transferring them back into the internal drive first. The drive you linked to is cheaper and seems like it would accommodate my needs. Thanks.

bread's done
Back