Epic Games implies that Unreal Engine 4 will not be on Wii U

They just like to be the center of attention, and are trying to make sure that PS4 and Xbox 720 go overboard on the specs... because if there isn't a big enough jump in graphics power next gen, then developers will just keep using Unreal Engine 3 and Epic won't make money for the next console cycle.

I'm sure Nintendo can develop their own copycat engine or perhaps a superior one. I was one of the people who only had a Wii for years and was just listening to the barrage of trash talk and nonsense about the amazing graphics on PS3 and 360. When I finally got a 360, honestly, I wasn't that impressed. Everyone still looks like plastic toys and some facial expressions are just disgusting.

Epic is seriously annoying with their disdain for Nintendo platforms. We went through this with the Wii and now the Wii U? It's just annoying that at this point they are still chasing pure specs when some smaller games have been truly epic without the need for the latest greatest hardware. Eye Candy is always nice but imagination is what has led to the up rise of the indie game scene.

The worst part is if they can make an engine for xyz platform they could make an engine work on the Wii U. They just choose not to. If they don't want to it's their prerogative but the story is getting old at this point.

That may be, but why dumb down their product and games for a company that wants to stay a generation behind? If they don't feel the WiiU could handle it, it makes me wonder if the WiiU is just a babystep over current systems, and more than a few steps behind the PS4/720.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']I was one of the people who only had a Wii for years and was just listening to the barrage of trash talk and nonsense about the amazing graphics on PS3 and 360. When I finally got a 360, honestly, I wasn't that impressed. Everyone still looks like plastic toys and some facial expressions are just disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but if you can't tell the difference between the best looking(non-stylized) Wii game (Skyward Sword? Metroid Prime 3?) and, I'll even go conservative with Halo 3, Bioshock, Gears of War, Heavenly Sword, Lair or Uncharted which are all 5+ years old then I don't know what to tell you. Might want to get a new tv. :lol:

I've enjoyed many a Wii game but to say they are even on the same playing field graphically is naive.

I had a Wii for years too and I solely regret that decision in the worst way possible. I missed out on almost every good game because none of them are on the Wii, oblivion, mass effect, dragon age,, but a HDTV and Xbox 360 were out of my reach until last year price wise. It will take me the next 3 years at least and possibly longer to play everything I missed out on had I had a PS3 or Xbox 360. I can't imagine how someone would not regret it, graphics and everything else aside, if your console doesn't have the biggest games, then it just sucks. We buy these machines to play games, I don't even care about graphics and everything else, but if company x's machine has all the big games while company y's machine has none of those games then, I don't know how to describe it, but its not the best purchasing decision. I won't be buying Nintendo again, and with the way they are going with the 3DS they do not have me convinced in the least. I am sorry, but Mario games are not good games, IMO, again this is my opinion, they are stupid and super frustrating, I play games for fun not for frustration. Nintendo also has some of the worst rubberband AI in their games, if you want to play Nintendo, you are basically stuck putting up with that crap.

I don't know, personally I don't really care, I'll still buy the Wii U too play Nintendo's games instead of 3rd Party games. That's what I'll have the PS4 for and maybe the next Xbox (unless they try to make it a Kinnect machine like they've done with the 360 as of late).

[quote name='SaraAB']I had a Wii for years too and I solely regret that decision in the worst way possible. I missed out on almost every good game because none of them are on the Wii, oblivion, mass effect, dragon age,, but a HDTV and Xbox 360 were out of my reach until last year price wise. It will take me the next 3 years at least and possibly longer to play everything I missed out on had I had a PS3 or Xbox 360. I can't imagine how someone would not regret it, graphics and everything else aside, if your console doesn't have the biggest games, then it just sucks. We buy these machines to play games, I don't even care about graphics and everything else, but if company x's machine has all the big games while company y's machine has none of those games then, I don't know how to describe it, but its not the best purchasing decision. I won't be buying Nintendo again, and with the way they are going with the 3DS they do not have me convinced in the least. I am sorry, but Mario games are not good games, IMO, again this is my opinion, they are stupid and super frustrating, I play games for fun not for frustration. Nintendo also has some of the worst rubberband AI in their games, if you want to play Nintendo, you are basically stuck putting up with that crap.[/QUOTE]

Was the Wii the first Nintendo system you bought? I don't know about you but I knew exactly what the Wii was going to be when a first saw it. It was going to be a Nintendo console made to play Nintendo game, and a few decent third-party games, just like the N64 and Gamecube were before it. I'm not trying to insult you, but it seems a little naive that you would think otherwise at this point. Personally, that's why I bought the Wii; I love Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc... and I own the Wii because of that, not to play crappy 3rd Party ports.

No not the first Nintendo system I bought, but they kept promising support and of course, never delivered. I shouldn't be complaining, because I didn't even buy the Wii, I won it in a contest, but still, the library is lacking. I do have quite a few games for the WIi though, but it just doesn't have the polish that the PS3 and Xbox 360 have. I am just a little bit shocked at how much the Wii is lacking after obtaining the Xbox 360 last year. The gamecube had really good support, and had pretty much every big game that the other 2 consoles had, the PS2 had a lot of unique RPG's that the cube didn't have, but the cube also had its share of good games and 3rd party releases. The Fire Emblem/Chibi Robo/Pikmin 2 combo at the end of lifecycle really sealed the deal, I just remember getting all 3 of these games at sears for $10-15 each. In reality the cube wasn't very much different at all than the Xbox and PS2, and I have all 3 of them, it basically came down to whether or not you could live without final fantasy and which controller you preferred. The cube also had several pokemon games, and there was only one Pokemon game for the Wii, aside from PokePark which doesn't count because it doesn't connect with the DS games. I used my Wii A LOT for pokemon ranch and my gamecube was a pokemon box machine, and yes I have pokemon box. The cube also had colloseum and Pokemon XD, and there were a couple others I think, and Colloseum was actually good and XD was probably the only Pokemon console RPG game we will see. Even if I bought the cube just for the pokemon games on it, it would have been worth it. But on the Wii there is only one pokemon game that actually uses the DS connectivity and the other 2 are just standalone spinoff games, and I am not a big fan of pokemon spinoff games. Right now I have so much to play and so little time!

[quote name='Blaster man']http://www.examiner.com/article/epic-games-implies-that-unreal-engine-4-will-not-be-on-wii-u

"We're aiming very high, and the intended platforms this is aimed at haven't even been announced."[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you interpret that quote.

a) the intended platforms this is aimed at haven't even been announced
As in, Epic intends to have UE4 on Microsoft and Sony's next consoles, but those haven't been announced yet. Which would mean that, since Wii U has already been announced, it will not run UE4. This is the way people commonly interpret it.

OR

b) the intended platforms this is aimed at haven't even been announced
As in, Epic hasn't announced which platforms will use UE4.

The second interpretation makes more sense. Whether or not Wii U will run UE4, as of two days ago: Epic "hasn't 'confirmed platforms for UE4 beyond PC.'"

bread's done
Back